Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2021-22 Pt. III - Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
I think you Guys need to temper back. I think LL is keeping RFAs, we probably see Parise and Palimieri, and that’s all. Maybe Tarensenko. Probably low chance. Landeskog isn’t coming. Worry about the defenseman that shakes loose. Other than that, if anyone is expecting more, it’s going to be a rough week

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Isles have a lot on their plates this offseason,but at some point this offseason I would like to see them approach Pulock and his reps about an extension. I don't want him reaching the ufa market next summer.

And I don't want him distracted by contract talks during the season.

Double down...

No Tavares repeat - If Pulock is not signed by the start of the season he goes on the block, and if not signed by the deadline he is 100% traded.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Word on the street is. 4x10 for Ovi once they get the space

their cap is a bit wonky, isn’t it. Not much space there

That's why much like Lou with Barzal/Greeene/Martin/etc last year, the Caps won't officially sign Ovi until they trade Kuznetzov (or make cap room another way).

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Assuming we want to go after Landeskog and Parise . . .

One way to solve the 2nd LD slot:

Beau and Komarov to Montreal for Edmundson and Tampa's 2022 4th rounder

Edmundson is still only 28 and is signed for 3 more years at $3.5 million, which will be less than Beau likely signs for, and we dump $3 million for next year.
Edmundson stinks. Not good defensively at all.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
If Palmieri and a mediocre defenseman are the only adds, that's a failure. That's a step backwards on the ice.

Literally could not agree more. We need to upgrade...Not go sideways (or down).

Have to believe Lou knows this. The question is will other teams/free agents cooperate? We don't have a lot of assets to trade or cap space to make big moves (assuming we resign all our FAs).

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Everyone is talking about upgrading the 1st line, and even the 3rd line. But against TBL our 2nd line was the bigger problem. FWIW.

They were both problems. There's no rule anywhere that you can't fix 2 (or 3) problems at once.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think you Guys need to temper back. I think LL is keeping RFAs, we probably see Parise and Palimieri, and that’s all. Maybe Tarensenko. Probably low chance. Landeskog isn’t coming. Worry about the defenseman that shakes loose. Other than that, if anyone is expecting more, it’s going to be a rough week
Lou is going to take care of our house first. Not a rough week for me at all. Just keeping things in perspective.

Reactions: SI

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I believe Montreal would be a hard no on that imho. Also am I the only Islanders fan that cant stand the idea of a dimishing 36 year old injured player? It drives me nuts to think they might sign Parise, Id rather them take a chance on Virtanen and he will probably cost less then Parise

Parise could make the league minimum (with bonuses) and would play on the 3rd line. He won't get more than a 2 year deal so the risk is minimal.

Do you remember who Pageau was skating with at times last year? I promise you a "diminished" Parise would still be an improvement, and won't stop us from doing other things we need to do.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
If a dependable UFA D is not an option, then is it possible that Isles can trade for one? Seattle likely be the best one to tangle with as they have extra LHD right? The only downside with dealing with them is they probably wants picks/prospect or maybe a good young forward.

On the other hand, if Isles can land either Landy or Tank, Romanov is interesting trade acquisition because of his cheap cap hit/potential but as he is less proven than Beau and older I would expect at least a 2022 3rd pick or even better a solid prospect to be included in that deal. If Habs really wants Beau, make them overpay for him in a trade or look elsewhere like Seattle or another Western conference team. I like left hand shot center Ryan Poehling a lot, wonder if Habs is willing to part with him along with Romanov for Beau going back the other way. Poehling can be a possible cheap 4th line centre replacement in case if Cizikas walks and Isles can't find any suitable replacement for him via UFA route.

Last edited:

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
That definitely is the downside of Zaradov, it's a huge step downward for Leddy's average offensive output. You basically just have to hope in a case like this that Dobson, Pulock or even Pelech can pick up a lil slack and when push comes to shove we can always use Aho

The Isles of years past would plug holes with players like Aho and Koivula. That was by necessity with nothing in the farm system and our poor standing with pending UFAs. That pretty much never worked out.

Those were your Grandma's Isles.

There's a new world order. We rightfully can and should aim higher.

Reactions: periferal

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The Isles of years past would plug holes with players like Aho and Koivula. That was by necessity with nothing in the farm system and our poor standing with pending UFAs. That pretty much never worked out.

Those were your Grandma's Isles.

There's a new world order. We rightfully can and should aim higher.

giphy.gif

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Sorry, but I completely disagree with this. If we are not doing anything big, then why did we make the moves we made? We have 23 million in cap space, we are coming off back to back conference finals appearances and we are moving into a brand new arena that should be one of the nicest in the NHL. If this is not the time or we are not able to add a big (hopefully final) piece, then when will it ever be?

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
I don't see how we resign all our rfas and add a top shelf winger and top 4 dman AND cizikas. The numbers don't add up. Unless you do something like bailey/Beau for tarasenko...the money just doesn't work.

23M doesn't buy what it used to.

Reactions: CupHolders and SI

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Not sure why you think that. He was +28 last year, tied for 5th in the league.
I don't care about his plus/minus. It's easy for a decent defensive team to have some good plus players in a division that plays no defense.

Edmundson struggled in the playoffs against Tampa paired with Chiarot. Watch Edmundson's games closer, even when he was with the Blues. He collapses in on his goalies in D zone coverage. Not a fan of his at all. He's soft in his own end.

Last edited:

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
A bit surprised at some of these numbers being thrown around by media and some of the reported contracts so far. It’s a flat cap but players are getting just about their maximum values in FA.

Definitely gets me a bit nervous about our own guys, bur hopefully takes us out of the Landeskog sweeps. Can’t wait to see STL give him $9m x 7.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I don't see how we resign all our rfas and add a top shelf winger and top 4 dman AND cizikas. The numbers don't add up. Unless you do something like bailey/Beau for tarasenko...the money just doesn't work.

23M doesn't buy what it used to.

I think there are many names out there because they know Lou is going to capitalize on that cap space - somewhat of guessing game. Palmieri and Parise are easy guesses to make

I wouldn’t be so sure that Palmieri or Parise are slam dunks until we know more about Landeskog.

With Suter and Martinez unlikely to come to NYC - Mike Reilly could be the first agent signed by Isles on Wednesday.

Although, Romanov for Beau looks like interesting fit- I don’t think it happens and I think Beau is an Islander for a long time.

Reactions: TeamKidd

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Minimum

7M landeskog
4M Dman
5M Pelech
3M Sorokin
3.5M Beau
3M Cizikas

25.5M

I'm thinking you need to let Casey go and trade Beau for a Dman if you sign a big fish. If u just return Palms then it might be workable. I'd prefer the big fish...

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
Sorry, but I completely disagree with this. If we are not doing anything big, then why did we make the moves we made? We have 23 million in cap space, we are coming off back to back conference finals appearances and we are moving into a brand new arena that should be one of the nicest in the NHL. If this is not the time or we are not able to add a big (hopefully final) piece, then when will it ever be?
The time is definitely now to upgrade, but that $23m will be gone in a blink of an eye. If we are assuming we are re-signing Pelech, Beau, Sorokin, and Cizikas - realistically that is going to be between $15-17m.

Now you’re left with $6-8m for a top 6 RW, a 3rd line winger, and a top 4 LHD. That might not be enough to even get our minimum expectation of Palmieri, Parise, and a cheaper D in FA.

I would love to upgrade - Tarasenko is the perfect buy low opportunity for us - but the cap situation makes things very tricky. Hopefully Lou can still move Komarov and/or Hickey, and maybe get STL to retain a bit on Tarasenko.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

For a second I read this as Sam Reinhart and almost lost my mind.

Also Casey is getting an offer with a "4" in front of it for AAV and that means we should be prepared to (sadly) let him go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad