Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2020-21 Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
The problem with moving any of the Isles bad contracts is that none of them are expiring this season, so I don't think they are moveable at the deadline. Maybe at the draft, but most likely the Islanders are stuck with them at least until the expansion draft, and most likely well beyond.

That is why I am dead against moving this years 1st, simply because they may well need to move the 2022 1st at the expansion draft to get rid of a bad deal or two. With such a thin prospect pool, the Islanders can ill afford to lose both the 2021 and 2022 1sts.

Hickey is an easy buyout next season, if the Isles don't trade him away.

So, for a team like Detroit with lots of cap space this year and next, do you want a draft pick/prospect or do you let your cap space go to waste?

Specifically almost $10 million this year. It is use it or lose it, which seems like a win-win for both teams.

Detroit can then buy him out or use him as NHL/AHL vet depth, if he has anything left in the tank, so they don't need to rush any of their prospects.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i don't think LL will use a 1st to trade one of our lumps away.

i believe that our 1st will be somewhere in the 20's, so it's not like it's a generational player that we would be trading away, even if we did.

besides, there are many other ways to pick up players. undrafted older players (Pius Suter comes to mind), college kids, etc...

Last edited:
Reactions: MJF and Strummergas

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Obvious, lol. Monday morning QB much? Before you post something you should go back and revisit the threads after a signing. Fine if you want to say it was obvious to you, but based on the reaction here.... it wasn't obvious enough to be the majority reaction. I thought it was a bad signing and had wanted to keep Okposo (also probably a bad move), but was told here adamantly that Ladd would make me forget Okposo.
Ladd did make me forget about Okposo.....but not in a good way.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Hickey is an easy buyout next season, if the Isles don't trade him away.

So, for a team like Detroit with lots of cap space this year and next, do you want a draft pick/prospect or do you let your cap space go to waste?

Specifically almost $10 million this year. It is use it or lose it, which seems like a win-win for both teams.

Detroit can then buy him out or use him as NHL/AHL vet depth, if he has anything left in the tank, so they don't need to rush any of their prospects.
Yeah, but there are also 20 other teams thinking the same thing so why would they take our offer? I mean, they could hold an auction and actually get both a pick a useful player or two, not washed up nobodies like Hickey. And it wont happen at the deadline unless they plan to sell off all their assets and need some salary to make the floor.
The Red Wings have some big contracts expiring and are probably looking to make a splash in Free Agency because only a limited number of teams will be able to. If I were them I'd stay miles away from the Isles crap contracts

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Yeah, but there are also 20 other teams thinking the same thing so why would they take our offer? I mean, they could hold an auction and actually get both a pick a useful player or two, not washed up nobodies like Hickey. And it wont happen at the deadline unless they plan to sell off all their assets and need some salary to make the floor.
The Red Wings have some big contracts expiring and are probably looking to make a splash in Free Agency because only a limited number of teams will be able to. If I were them I'd stay miles away from the Isles crap contracts

Like I said in an earlier post, the Isles could be one of the few buyers/teams willing to give up either a first or combo of seconds at the deadline.

There aren't 20 other teams in the Isles position of being win now, but few pressing needs to address, and multiple futures in the bank to deal from.

There are more teams looking to shuffle around expensive contracts with significant term, but probably not in a position to forfeit high draft picks. Teams like Nashville with bloated long-term contracts, the Penguins don't have a first this year to offer, etc.

The Red Wings could be looking to bank futures now, use up essentially expiring cap space and still have plenty of money to spend in free agency.

Why take a prohibitive contract in the $5-8 million range (like say a Duchene-level player), when they can pick up a valuable futures for say a Hickey-level contract, then sign free agents at a discount, in the $3-4 million range on far shorter deals?

I am talking about a hockey trade that works for both sides.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Has there been any Eichel trade rumors ? Not to us, just in general. Man I would love to see Eichel with Barzal. I would think we’d have to trade Nelson, Eberle and a 1st to get Eichel. That would help us to fit Eichel under the cap. It’ll never happen, but it’s fun to dream.

Reactions: ekill08x

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Has there been any Eichel trade rumors ? Not to us, just in general. Man I would love to see Eichel with Barzal. I would think we’d have to trade Nelson, Eberle and a 1st to get Eichel. That would help us to fit Eichel under the cap. It’ll never happen, but it’s fun to dream.

I dont think that is anywhere near enough. Dobson or pulock would be the starters.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

To me, the only team that fits right now are the LA Kings. They have the requisite cap space, prospects (specifically center and defense depth), a bounty of draft picks in the upcoming draft AND move Eichel to the other side of the country. It is just a question of if Rob Blake wants to expedite his build or prefers to stay the course.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

scott99

May 13, 2005
I dont think that is anywhere near enough. Dobson or pulock would be the starters.
Wouldn’t give up Dobson or Pulock (on a friendly contract). I think Nelson & Eberle replace Eichel’s offense (they both have more goals than Eichel), and then they get a 1st round pick to boot.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Wouldn’t give up Dobson or Pulock (on a friendly contract). I think Nelson & Eberle replace Eichel’s offense (they both have more goals than Eichel), and then they get a 1st round pick to boot.
I know Buffalo is a perennial loser, but Eichel seems like a team cancer. Ever since he's been in the league, there have been annual stories about him wanting a coach gone, or changes here or there else he's leaving. And his demeanor on the ice is not one of a leader, and not one of a team player. I'd be very weary of him.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I know Buffalo is a perennial loser, but Eichel seems like a team cancer. Ever since he's been in the league, there have been annual stories about him wanting a coach gone, or changes here or there else he's leaving. And his demeanor on the ice is not one of a leader, and not one of a team player. I'd be very weary of him.
He seems bitter that his draft year really ended up with two crap options for teams to go to. Other years, the top guys had better franchises that had those picks.

He’s talented, but a complete whiner, too immature to be in a leadership role, and overall just seems like a jackxxx. One gets the feeling people have been pumping his tires for a long time and he’s not getting that in Buffalo, mainly because the team stinks, he ain’t helping it get
Better, and he just wants the upside.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I don't know about that... I think he is just worn down / frustrated. Put him on a team like ours and I bet you would see an immediate improvement in his attitude. He is a competitive guy who has been on a losing team for a long time.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
I think the only rumors about Eichel has been him linked to the Rags and Kings.

islesny88

Jan 15, 2020
I don't know about that... I think he is just worn down / frustrated. Put him on a team like ours and I bet you would see an immediate improvement in his attitude. He is a competitive guy who has been on a losing team for a long time.
Agreed. Its not uncommon to see that. Imagine going to work everyday and the hope of having a successful year dwindles year after year. It must make it incredibly difficult to remain positive in that type of environment. The talent is there and we'll see it when things improve or Eichel gets a fresh start somewhere else.
That being said, I don't think thats the right move for us right now. We may not win every game, but we're in almost every game. That's huge come playoff time when games are tighter and the difference could be a bounce or two. If anything, I think we trade for a 3LW if Dal Colle/Bellows/etc can't establish themselves in that spot and/or possibly some defensive depth. I just think we'll see some minor tinkering before we see anything big done, at least for a few years.

Reactions: scott99

scott99

May 13, 2005
Agreed. Its not uncommon to see that. Imagine going to work everyday and the hope of having a successful year dwindles year after year. It must make it incredibly difficult to remain positive in that type of environment. The talent is there and we'll see it when things improve or Eichel gets a fresh start somewhere else.
That being said, I don't think thats the right move for us right now. We may not win every game, but we're in almost every game. That's huge come playoff time when games are tighter and the difference could be a bounce or two. If anything, I think we trade for a 3LW if Dal Colle/Bellows/etc can't establish themselves in that spot and/or possibly some defensive depth. I just think we'll see some minor tinkering before we see anything big done, at least for a few years.
Honestly, I don’t see the Isles making ANY moves at the trade deadline, unless they suddenly tank. Deadline is really late this year.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Here's some Eichel history.

4/19/17
Report: Eichel won't re-up if Bylsma remains coach - TSN.ca
Eichel "Tim (Murray, GM) had voiced his opinions of what he thinks he needs to do, and I said the same thing with mine. I know that Dan did the same thing. As a coach, he said he needs to be better. As a player, I said I need to be better. The same for Tim.
4/19/17
Eichel clarifies his Bylsma comments
4/20/17
Coach Dan Bylsma, GM Tim Murray fired by Sabres
9/14/17
Housley hired as coach. What 20 year old is providing a profile of what he wants in a coach?
HockeyBuzz.com - GARTH'S CORNER - Eichel Mediocre?!
Eichel: " If coaches are hard on me, they're hard on me. That's fine. I also like my coaches to have a personality. I want them to be able to talk to me about things that aren't about hockey. You come to the rink every day and some days you're in a good mood and some days you're in a bad mood. I like coaches to be able to relate to me a little bit. I've had hard coaches, I've had easy coaches, and it doesn't matter to me how they are as [far as] their personality. I just want to be able to know them outside the neutral-zone forecheck and the offensive zone."
5/26/20
'Kim Pegula to AP: Botterill returning as Sabres’ GM'
Kim Pegula to AP: Botterill returning as Sabres' GM
6/16/20
Botterill Fired
Jack Eichel’s frustrations heard loud and clear in Buffalo as GM Jason Botterill fired

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Here's some Eichel history.

4/19/17
Report: Eichel won't re-up if Bylsma remains coach - TSN.ca
Eichel "Tim (Murray, GM) had voiced his opinions of what he thinks he needs to do, and I said the same thing with mine. I know that Dan did the same thing. As a coach, he said he needs to be better. As a player, I said I need to be better. The same for Tim.
4/19/17
Eichel clarifies his Bylsma comments
4/20/17
Coach Dan Bylsma, GM Tim Murray fired by Sabres
9/14/17
Housley hired as coach. What 20 year old is providing a profile of what he wants in a coach?
HockeyBuzz.com - GARTH'S CORNER - Eichel Mediocre?!
Eichel: " If coaches are hard on me, they're hard on me. That's fine. I also like my coaches to have a personality. I want them to be able to talk to me about things that aren't about hockey. You come to the rink every day and some days you're in a good mood and some days you're in a bad mood. I like coaches to be able to relate to me a little bit. I've had hard coaches, I've had easy coaches, and it doesn't matter to me how they are as [far as] their personality. I just want to be able to know them outside the neutral-zone forecheck and the offensive zone."
5/26/20
'Kim Pegula to AP: Botterill returning as Sabres’ GM'
Kim Pegula to AP: Botterill returning as Sabres' GM
6/16/20
Botterill Fired
Jack Eichel’s frustrations heard loud and clear in Buffalo as GM Jason Botterill fired
Isles fans should be very well aware of the fact that the hockey media is more full of crap than the Paris sewer system. The stuff about Jack is yet another example of that.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I don't really have an opinion on whether or not it's bad to add Jack but as far as Im concerned we could bring close to anyone in here and make them play our way it's just whether or not it's worth it. Galchenyuk? I'd pass. Don't think it's worth the squeeze. Eichel would obviously be worth any reservations because of his talent.

But it starts and ends with his cap hit. Can't add it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
think Lou and his associates get some defensive depth at the deadline. Boring but hopefully effective
I like the idea of adding a 7th D man, I am not sure Trotz is 100% confident in Aho. Right now the 6 he has, look like they are not coming out anytime soon. The only way I would do it is to give Greene a rest to keep him fresh this year. But given every game is like a playoff game this season, it looks like the only way it happens is due to injuries. Scary thought, we saw what happened when Pelech went down. I am not sure what is out there, but a name that popped into my mind, Ron Hainsey, not sure if he has kept himself in shape? And I don't think he has officially retired. He would be good insurance, and it was Lou that brought him to Toronto when he was GM then. He is also still effective. +10 on the Sens last season, not an easy task. Was +30 (tops on the Leafs) the year before that also. Underrated player.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I like the idea of adding a 7th D man, I am not sure Trotz is 100% confident in Aho. Right now the 6 he has, look like they are not coming out anytime soon. The only way I would do it is to give Greene a rest to keep him fresh this year. But given every game is like a playoff game this season, it looks like the only way it happens is due to injuries. Scary thought, we saw what happened when Pelech went down. I am not sure what is out there, but a name that popped into my mind, Ron Hainsey, not sure if he has kept himself in shape? And I don't think he has officially retired. He would be good insurance, and it was Lou that brought him to Toronto when he was GM then. He is also still effective. +10 on the Sens last season, not an easy task. Was +30 (tops on the Leafs) the year before that also. Underrated player.
Pretty safe bet considering that, despite injuries to our d corp, being available and being a 3x AHL all star, he has never played an NHL minute for Trotz.

We aren't sure what it is (the guess is size, and probably strength), but something Trotz values is clearly missing from Aho's game.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Like I said in an earlier post, the Isles could be one of the few buyers/teams willing to give up either a first or combo of seconds at the deadline.

There aren't 20 other teams in the Isles position of being win now, but few pressing needs to address, and multiple futures in the bank to deal from.

There are more teams looking to shuffle around expensive contracts with significant term, but probably not in a position to forfeit high draft picks. Teams like Nashville with bloated long-term contracts, the Penguins don't have a first this year to offer, etc.

The Red Wings could be looking to bank futures now, use up essentially expiring cap space and still have plenty of money to spend in free agency.

Why take a prohibitive contract in the $5-8 million range (like say a Duchene-level player), when they can pick up a valuable futures for say a Hickey-level contract, then sign free agents at a discount, in the $3-4 million range on far shorter deals?

I am talking about a hockey trade that works for both sides.

But the main point remains and that is simply that there is NO CAP SPACE at all for the Islanders. What kind of hockey trade do you make with no cap space?? If anything the Islanders need to shed salary but with no expiring contracts bar Cizikas none will be made. Anything else is a pipedream. As the Isles are using all their LTIR they cap space is not pro rated this season as it normally is.

Even Detroit haven't got massive amounts of cap space and have plenty of UFAs too. They will be in perfect position in the summer with lots of teams up against the ceiling to sign good FAs at a discount. There is no way they will take on any of our crap. But for argument's sake I can see the Isles trading for Bobby Ryan for a 3rd, or maybe even Ryan for Hickey and a 2nd. Detroit will sell off all their UFA at the deadline and pick up plenty of mid round picks.

It makes no sense for the Isles to pay any team to take on Hickey alone, simply because he only eats $1.2 million or so of the cap and has one more year to run. It's Ladd and Komarov who are hurting us and they are unmoveable.

The Islanders will need all their picks going into the expansion draft, especially with the draft looking likely to be moved into next season or to 2022. There they will have to pay dearly for Seattle to take on one or two bad contracts and the Kraken will make out like bandits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad