Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2020-21 Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
If they're done with Bellows, why not try to recoup a second or third round pick for him before his value completely plummets by being regulated to the taxi squad for the remainder of the season? He is only 22 years old and he put up 22 goals in the AHL last season. Someone will send a draft pick for him.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
If they're done with Bellows, why not try to recoup a second or third round pick for him before his value completely plummets by being regulated to the taxi squad for the remainder of the season? He is only 22 years old and he put up 22 goals in the AHL last season. Someone will send a draft pick for him.

The fact he's only 22 and put up those goals is exactly the reason he shouldn't be traded for draft picks.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Anyone else strongly feel like this is another year to trade our first? I know it can be risky doing that, but if we can make another Pageau esque trade and immediately help the team, I am 100% for it.

If not a Pageau-esque trade... then one that could be a minor roster help but a cap clearer. For example...

Aho and Bellows with future considerations to Detroit

For

Bobby Ryan and a vet depth d-man (preferably not Staal)

Future considerations would be a 1st round pick (with protections) and Ladd (after his bonus is paid out for their lowest 2nd rounder.

I have NO problem downgrading a first to a second in a year that so many development leagues will be disrupted by COVID.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I'll be surprised if they do anything more than what Staple is suggesting - a minor deal for a 5-7 defenseman for some depth. But I'm open to being surprised. :)

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Source?

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Fingers crossed, knock on wood, etc. that the Isles good health continues and the young players, Dobson, Wahlstrom, Sorokin, etc. keep developing.

If that is the case, I don't think that the Isles really need to do much at the trade deadline, since they already have quality depth at forward (especially if Wahlstrom has nailed down a spot in the top-9).

That last "open" spot will presumably be utilized by Trotz to mix and match either the hot hand or key on the best matchup, among MDC, Uncle Leo, Ross, Czarnik, maybe Bellows (if he has proven himself), etc. depending on what the opponent's strengths and weaknesses dictates.

And that is fine. Let's see what this core can do and then make any necessary major adjustments in the off season and see what the expansion draft holds, with respect to potential salary being claimed by Seattle.

I am still hoping to get a look at Aho as the reserve defenseman (but not due to injury, just as a breather for Greene so he stays fresh), otherwise I guess maybe we see a move for a low-cost vet for depth.

That said, I could see Lou shopping either the Isles #1, a mix of seconds r other draft picks, to make a move that brings in some quality depth AND also frees up some money going forward. But only if he finds the right deal that works for the team.

The trade deadline might be the best opportunity to move out a bad contract, especially if a lot of teams opt to hold onto their first rounders, due to a stagnant cap, the expansion draft, etc.

There are so many teams bunched up in the standings and on the cusp of the playoffs, there might not be as many sellers this year.

If so, then the mix of limited sellers, few teams willing to give up a first rounder and teams with cap space that will go to waste if not used (looking at Detroit specifically), could favor the Isles at the trade deadline.

If the Isles are essentially locked into a playoff spot, or can get a guarantee on lottery protection (top-3), moving out a bad contract and adding a solid depth piece could be a reasonable play that kills two birds with one stone.

It would also allow the Isles to get a good look at a potential (placeholder) LHD replacement for Greene, if he retires, or for Leddy, if he is selected by Seattle.

I mentioned Detroit because they have so much cap space to retain salary (a projected $9.4 million), lots of veterans on expiring deals that would fit the vet depth definition and they have been willing to take on salary for futures.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
If not a Pageau-esque trade... then one that could be a minor roster help but a cap clearer. For example...

Aho and Bellows with future considerations to Detroit

For

Bobby Ryan and a vet depth d-man (preferably not Staal)

Future considerations would be a 1st round pick (with protections) and Ladd (after his bonus is paid out for their lowest 2nd rounder.

I have NO problem downgrading a first to a second in a year that so many development leagues will be disrupted by COVID.

Two young cheap assets, for Bobby Ryan AND a shittier contract than Ryan’s?
I been drinking tonight, tell me I read this incorrectly
And you’re adding a pick?
I need to open the Middleton

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Two young cheap assets, for Bobby Ryan AND a shittier contract than Ryan’s?
I been drinking tonight, tell me I read this incorrectly
And you’re adding a pick?
I need to open the Middleton

Yes.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Fans always come and go depending on how a team is doing. The reality is the Isles were not better on ice because of Ladd and are now hindered by a contract by a horrible move that was obvious the moment it happened. Again just points out what a horrid GM snow was. To not anticipate Okposo/Nielsen’s contract end the same season and also drafted poorly so there were no in house replacements, along with a terrible coach he hired that didn’t develop properly created at atmosphere of suck which is exposed even further now that the team is being run by a real front office/coaching staff.
Obvious, lol. Monday morning QB much? Before you post something you should go back and revisit the threads after a signing. Fine if you want to say it was obvious to you, but based on the reaction here.... it wasn't obvious enough to be the majority reaction. I thought it was a bad signing and had wanted to keep Okposo (also probably a bad move), but was told here adamantly that Ladd would make me forget Okposo.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrockLobster

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Fingers crossed, knock on wood, etc. that the Isles good health continues and the young players, Dobson, Wahlstrom, Sorokin, etc. keep developing.

If that is the case, I don't think that the Isles really need to do much at the trade deadline, since they already have quality depth at forward (especially if Wahlstrom has nailed down a spot in the top-9).

That last "open" spot will presumably be utilized by Trotz to mix and match either the hot hand or key on the best matchup, among MDC, Uncle Leo, Ross, Czarnik, maybe Bellows (if he has proven himself), etc. depending on what the opponent's strengths and weaknesses dictates.

And that is fine. Let's see what this core can do and then make any necessary major adjustments in the off season and see what the expansion draft holds, with respect to potential salary being claimed by Seattle.

I am still hoping to get a look at Aho as the reserve defenseman (but not due to injury, just as a breather for Greene so he stays fresh), otherwise I guess maybe we see a move for a low-cost vet for depth.

That said, I could see Lou shopping either the Isles #1, a mix of seconds r other draft picks, to make a move that brings in some quality depth AND also frees up some money going forward. But only if he finds the right deal that works for the team.

The trade deadline might be the best opportunity to move out a bad contract, especially if a lot of teams opt to hold onto their first rounders, due to a stagnant cap, the expansion draft, etc.

There are so many teams bunched up in the standings and on the cusp of the playoffs, there might not be as many sellers this year.

If so, then the mix of limited sellers, few teams willing to give up a first rounder and teams with cap space that will go to waste if not used (looking at Detroit specifically), could favor the Isles at the trade deadline.

If the Isles are essentially locked into a playoff spot, or can get a guarantee on lottery protection (top-3), moving out a bad contract and adding a solid depth piece could be a reasonable play that kills two birds with one stone.

It would also allow the Isles to get a good look at a potential (placeholder) LHD replacement for Greene, if he retires, or for Leddy, if he is selected by Seattle.

I mentioned Detroit because they have so much cap space to retain salary (a projected $9.4 million), lots of veterans on expiring deals that would fit the vet depth definition and they have been willing to take on salary for futures.

The problem with moving any of the Isles bad contracts is that none of them are expiring this season, so I don't think they are moveable at the deadline. Maybe at the draft, but most likely the Islanders are stuck with them at least until the expansion draft, and most likely well beyond.

That is why I am dead against moving this years 1st, simply because they may well need to move the 2022 1st at the expansion draft to get rid of a bad deal or two. With such a thin prospect pool, the Islanders can ill afford to lose both the 2021 and 2022 1sts.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Two things I audibly yelled "NO!" out loud at: Ladd signing and Jets drafting Hackenberg.
Yeah the Ladd signing was so bad! At the time Frans was kind of Mr. Islander and Okposo was here for a long time and seemed to be turning into a very good player. Losing them and then hearing we signed Ladd was a major let down! Of course, both Frans and Okposo have been major disappointments in terms of the money shelled out for them so it's basically turned into one giant turdburger for everyone involved!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->