Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2020-21 Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
Zeek is the most valuable piece of the 4th line. Isles will retain him. Zeek will want to stay no doubt. Im guessing he takes a cut to 2-2.5 range over 3-4 years. That being sad - in the cap strapped world, extensions to Beau, Pelech and Sorokin take priority if that means letting Zeek walk

SI

Feb 16, 2013
We're seeing the old Zeeker of late but I still want to see him get through the season reasonably healthy before extending him.

that’s probably a prudent call - you also have expansion draft to consider.

I can see Beauvillier sign a bridge deal similar to Debrusk’s numbers 2/3.5 AAV and Pelech between 4 and 4.5 in the 4 or 5 year range.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Can't read the article, but if they can extend Cizikas at a pay cut, they should.
Basically: other teams will be interested because they need a guy like him (Toronto and Pitt mentioned specifically), Lou might offer him a lower AAV, longer term (like with Martin) to lock him in. Honestly I don't know what lower AAV looks like in this case, I see 2.5 mil here but he's in his rights to ask for 4 mil per (his salary this season).

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
that’s probably a prudent call - you also have expansion draft to consider.

I can see Beauvillier sign a bridge deal similar to Debrusk’s numbers 2/3.5 AAV and Pelech between 4 and 4.5 in the 4 or 5 year range.
Think if Tito gets another bridge it'll take him right to UFA (like Pulock). Pelech's numbers sound about right.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
But the main point remains and that is simply that there is NO CAP SPACE at all for the Islanders. What kind of hockey trade do you make with no cap space?? If anything the Islanders need to shed salary but with no expiring contracts bar Cizikas none will be made. Anything else is a pipedream. As the Isles are using all their LTIR they cap space is not pro rated this season as it normally is.

Even Detroit haven't got massive amounts of cap space and have plenty of UFAs too. They will be in perfect position in the summer with lots of teams up against the ceiling to sign good FAs at a discount. There is no way they will take on any of our crap. But for argument's sake I can see the Isles trading for Bobby Ryan for a 3rd, or maybe even Ryan for Hickey and a 2nd. Detroit will sell off all their UFA at the deadline and pick up plenty of mid round picks.

It makes no sense for the Isles to pay any team to take on Hickey alone, simply because he only eats $1.2 million or so of the cap and has one more year to run. It's Ladd and Komarov who are hurting us and they are unmoveable.

The Islanders will need all their picks going into the expansion draft, especially with the draft looking likely to be moved into next season or to 2022. There they will have to pay dearly for Seattle to take on one or two bad contracts and the Kraken will make out like bandits
Detroit had plenty of time, cap, and money to sign those UFAs this past time, but barely did.

Yzerman is strategically playing not to win, when there’s no reason to spend money - there’s no fans anyway. Doubtful he’s spending money this off-season too.

Big fat pass on Bobby Ryan. That’s a true waste of an asset. He’s been terrible for years.

Reactions: The Real JT

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Detroit had plenty of time, cap, and money to sign those UFAs this past time, but barely did.

Yzerman is strategically playing not to win, when there’s no reason to spend money - there’s no fans anyway. Doubtful he’s spending money this off-season too.

Big fat pass on Bobby Ryan. That’s a true waste of an asset. He’s been terrible for years.
He should look to add guys with some term, not a big splash but someone to add something. Like ottawa did with Dadonov.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Staple came out with that article and it reminded me how short this season is. Saw we are 6 weeks away from the deadline. That's nuts.

Reactions: xECK29x

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
He should look to add guys with some term, not a big splash but someone to add something. Like ottawa did with Dadonov.
He’ll probably get some guys for continuity purposes, but GMs have the ability right now to go short on most deals.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
He’ll probably get some guys for continuity purposes, but GMs have the ability right now to go short on most deals.
I'm sure another Marc Staal deal will happen as well. I think Leo would actually be good there if they wanted to go that route.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Basically: other teams will be interested because they need a guy like him (Toronto and Pitt mentioned specifically), Lou might offer him a lower AAV, longer term (like with Martin) to lock him in. Honestly I don't know what lower AAV looks like in this case, I see 2.5 mil here but he's in his rights to ask for 4 mil per (his salary this season).
He can ask, anyone can ask, but that doesn't mean he should get. If someone wants to pay him 4 mil, I'll look forward to saluting him at his first game back against the Isles.

Would love to bring him back for under 3 mil for 2 years. Anything more is foolish. He's a role player on the wrong side of 30, with a game that doesn't age well. You shouldn't pay a 4th liner big bucks, and he plays a style way too risky for a long term deal at his age.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not going to get a Pageau this deadline. But I have to think Lou is looking for another Greene fit. The D behind the top 6 is scary. Bolduc is not ready, and Hickey I don't think any of us want to see it come to this. I like Aho, but he hasn't seen the ice all season. You need 7 to 8 D going into the playoffs. Big void in the depth dept right now.

Reactions: buud and periferal

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Pretty safe bet considering that, despite injuries to our d corp, being available and being a 3x AHL all star, he has never played an NHL minute for Trotz.

We aren't sure what it is (the guess is size, and probably strength), but something Trotz values is clearly missing from Aho's game.
There is no fit right now, barring resting Greene. This would probably mean moving up Leddy to play with Dobson, and Mayfield playing with Aho. Season is so short, every game magnified, it would be a gamble.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Not going to get a Pageau this deadline. But I have to think Lou is looking for another Greene fit. The D behind the top 6 is scary. Bolduc is not ready, and Hickey I don't think any of us want to see it come to this. I like Aho, but he hasn't seen the ice all season. You need 7 to 8 D going into the playoffs. Big void in the depth dept right now.
The cost to acquire someone better than Hickey is not worth it.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007

Couldn't agree more and quite honestly, I would like Mayfield to be the 7th defenseman right now....I have liked him over the years but this year he is a turnover machine, bonehead passes or just losing the handle on the puck. I've yelled at the TV with the puck on his stick more than anyone else this year. Another Greene-esqe move this deadline would be huge. The other option is to play Aho but it seems like Trotz isn't in to that. I Like our depth at forward and I don't see us adding to the top 6 unless we are moving out serous salary like Bailey.

Reactions: periferal

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Zeek is the most valuable piece of the 4th line. Isles will retain him. Zeek will want to stay no doubt. Im guessing he takes a cut to 2-2.5 range over 3-4 years. That being sad - in the cap strapped world, extensions to Beau, Pelech and Sorokin take priority if that means letting Zeek walk

Last offseason it took a Teows trade and Boychuk retirement to get just under the cap and bring back the same team.

This offseason is going to be more painful. Expect a much more significant trade where more cap goes out the door (like Beauvillier) and/or a big name (contract) going to Seattle.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Couldn't agree more and quite honestly, I would like Mayfield to be the 7th defenseman right now....I have liked him over the years but this year he is a turnover machine, bonehead passes or just losing the handle on the puck. I've yelled at the TV with the puck on his stick more than anyone else this year. Another Greene-esqe move this deadline would be huge. The other option is to play Aho but it seems like Trotz isn't in to that. I Like our depth at forward and I don't see us adding to the top 6 unless we are moving out serous salary like Bailey.
A real cheap acquisition that would not cost any assets but cap space would be Ron Hainsey. He's 39, but has been pretty effective the last 2 seasons. I would have him on my radar if there is an injury. Not sure if he is in shape, or even officially retired. Googled his name, and no word he has. He would be a solid #7.

islesny88

Jan 15, 2020
I could see Lou dangling Aho as a trade piece to bring in a different defenseman. I wouldn't be surprised if Lou trades him to NJ for Kulikov or another defenseman of that ilk. Aho, with an opportunity could develop into something and Kulikov provides us with depth. Maybe a pick to even it out. Could be beneficial to both teams. I think Bolduc and Salo offer more potential anyways.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
But the main point remains and that is simply that there is NO CAP SPACE at all for the Islanders. What kind of hockey trade do you make with no cap space?? If anything the Islanders need to shed salary but with no expiring contracts bar Cizikas none will be made. Anything else is a pipedream. As the Isles are using all their LTIR they cap space is not pro rated this season as it normally is.

Even Detroit haven't got massive amounts of cap space and have plenty of UFAs too. They will be in perfect position in the summer with lots of teams up against the ceiling to sign good FAs at a discount. There is no way they will take on any of our crap. But for argument's sake I can see the Isles trading for Bobby Ryan for a 3rd, or maybe even Ryan for Hickey and a 2nd. Detroit will sell off all their UFA at the deadline and pick up plenty of mid round picks.

It makes no sense for the Isles to pay any team to take on Hickey alone, simply because he only eats $1.2 million or so of the cap and has one more year to run. It's Ladd and Komarov who are hurting us and they are unmoveable.

The Islanders will need all their picks going into the expansion draft, especially with the draft looking likely to be moved into next season or to 2022. There they will have to pay dearly for Seattle to take on one or two bad contracts and the Kraken will make out like bandits

I will keep this very simple, a reasonable hockey trade could be something like C/RW Sam Gagner ($850,000 and an impending UFA) and LD Jon Merrill ($925,00 and also an impending UFA) for Hickey and the Isles or Colorado's 2022 second rounder.

The money easily works this season, the Isles acquire some veteran depth up front (Gagner is having a surprisingly good season and can be moved around in the lineup) and on the blueline (so they don't have to use Aho if they don't trust him and an injury occurs). All while completely shedding Hickey's $2.5 million for next season, which at least helps alleviate a bit of the overall cap crunch.

Detroit adds a second rounder for their troubles, which is only paying out $833,000 over two seasons if they want to buy Hickey out.

A second rounder for that is very fair and both teams benefit.

Leo is also NOT unmovable going into the final year of his contract. He has one year left with a $3 million cap hit but only makes $2 million in real money. Leo is probably easier to trade than Hickey, because he is still a viable NHL player and can be bought out over two years at only $666,667 in real money.

Leo would have a slightly bigger cap hit than buying out Hickey, but a team like Detroit could actually use him and probably wouldn't opt to buy him out. But if they do, it doesn't really impact them right now.

I also would prefer to keep Uncle Leo around for that final season and simply bury him in the AHL, for a $1.125 million cap savings, and have him on hand if needed as depth.

With respect to next year, the Isles three key players to extend are Beauvillier, Pelech and Sorokin. There are other moves that will need to be made, but those three are the important contracts.

The Isles have a little over $2 million in cap space right now and, just going the conservative route, moving Hickey now frees up $2.5 million, you bury Leo and Ladd for $2.25 million and they have Boychuk's $6 million in LTIR to work with.

That is almost $13 million, which might be enough to get it done, especially if the Isles go for bridge deals on Beau and Sorokin, with the intent to offer long-term deals once the cap crunch is over and more cap space is available.

But odds are a player like Leddy or Bailey will be selected by Seattle (probably Leddy, since he is a very good player with only one season left on his deal), so there should be more than enough cap space without having to do anything too crazy.

And if Lou has figured out a way to send Ladd to Robidas Island, then it gets even easier. If that is the case, Seattle isn't getting squat in material incentives. There are options.

Reactions: leeroggy

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Think if Tito gets another bridge it'll take him right to UFA (like Pulock). Pelech's numbers sound about right.

I think if it is a 2 year deal - it brings him to 26, so I think he would be an rfa

EDIT - You are correct. He would have accrued 7 seasons, so he would be a UFA, so do you a 1 year deal? Or go with a similar deal they gave Bailey - 5 year 5 AAV?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
A real cheap acquisition that would not cost any assets but cap space would be Ron Hainsey. He's 39, but has been pretty effective the last 2 seasons. I would have him on my radar if there is an injury. Not sure if he is in shape, or even officially retired. Googled his name, and no word he has. He would be a solid #7.

I like Hainsey, but signing him now means an inflated cap hit, no?

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I will keep this very simple, a reasonable hockey trade could be something like C/RW Sam Gagner ($850,000 and an impending UFA) and LD Jon Merrill ($925,00 and also an impending UFA) for Hickey and the Isles or Colorado's 2022 second rounder.

The money easily works this season, the Isles acquire some veteran depth up front (Gagner is having a surprisingly good season and can be moved around in the lineup) and on the blueline (so they don't have to use Aho if they don't trust him and an injury occurs). All while completely shedding Hickey's $2.5 million for next season, which at least helps alleviate a bit of the overall cap crunch.

Detroit adds a second rounder for their troubles, which is only paying out $833,000 over two seasons if they want to buy Hickey out.

A second rounder for that is very fair and both teams benefit.

Leo is also NOT unmovable going into the final year of his contract. He has one year left with a $3 million cap hit but only makes $2 million in real money. Leo is probably easier to trade than Hickey, because he is still a viable NHL player and can be bought out over two years at only $666,667 in real money.

Leo would have a slightly bigger cap hit than buying out Hickey, but a team like Detroit could actually use him and probably wouldn't opt to buy him out. But if they do, it doesn't really impact them right now.

I also would prefer to keep Uncle Leo around for that final season and simply bury him in the AHL, for a $1.125 million cap savings, and have him on hand if needed as depth.

With respect to next year, the Isles three key players to extend are Beauvillier, Pelech and Sorokin. There are other moves that will need to be made, but those three are the important contracts.

The Isles have a little over $2 million in cap space right now and, just going the conservative route, moving Hickey now frees up $2.5 million, you bury Leo and Ladd for $2.25 million and they have Boychuk's $6 million in LTIR to work with.

That is almost $13 million, which might be enough to get it done, especially if the Isles go for bridge deals on Beau and Sorokin, with the intent to offer long-term deals once the cap crunch is over and more cap space is available.

But odds are a player like Leddy or Bailey will be selected by Seattle (probably Leddy, since he is a very good player with only one season left on his deal), so there should be more than enough cap space without having to do anything too crazy.

And if Lou has figured out a way to send Ladd to Robidas Island, then it gets even easier. If that is the case, Seattle isn't getting squat in material incentives. There are options.

I don't know where you get that the Isles have $2 million cap space from now because they have nothing. Absolutely nothing. They are waiving Komarov every month and putting Dal Colle on IR just so they can bring a player up from the taxi squad from time to time.

I agree with a lot of your post but I really don't think it's worth it to trade away a 2nd to get rid of Hickey. It's what the Rags paid to rid themselves of Staal and Hickey's contract doesn't really do much to push them towards the floor or push the Isles to the ceiling. I'd much rather keep that 2nd and pay that to get rid of a worse contract or make a big deal at the expansion draft. But I'd pay a 2nd to get rid of Komarov though.

Last season they were forced to make Boychuck retire and trade away Toews just to get under the cap. This offseason will be equally bad if Lou can't be creative at the expansion draft. Seattle has got us by the balls and why would they take Leddy or Bailey for free when they can tell us they want a 1st and top prospect to take any of them, or just take a Bridgeport nobody? That's the reality we are facing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad