Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2019-20 Pt. VII: The Lou Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Martin's going to be a tough decision. Emotionally, the fans love him. But unless he's taking a pay cut, the money could be used in better places, and he's going to be declining, if he hasn't started already. Like you said, they have Ross and Leo already signed, Ross cheaper and Leo basically unmoveable.

I guess such is the life of a 4th line wing.. there's always someone younger and cheaper coming along, and unfortunately for him, they already have almost $7M tied up in the other two energy line guys. Do you keep paying your 4th line close to $10M?
I’m sure there’s a position waiting for him with his father in-law’s foundation.

Reactions: Beacon Isles

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Lou wouldn’t have given up a package like that unless he had a good idea that JGP would sign here. The going rate for him was already a first round pick, so he spent the second to secure the deal and not have to enter a bidding war on July 1st.

That and/or another team was offering something like a 1st and 3rd with no contingencies and Lou had to beat it regardless.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I would try to move Bailey and Leddy this offseason and go after Johnny Hockey.

Offseason big moves:

1. Revisit Parise/Ladd deal
  2. Go after Pietrangelo and Hoffman
  3. Trade Leddy and/or Bailey (and other lessor assets) to hopefully find more impact scoring

Reactions: ekill08x

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Offseason big moves:

1. Revisit Parise/Ladd deal
  2. Go after Pietrangelo and Hoffman
  3. Trade Leddy and/or Bailey (and other lessor assets) to hopefully find more impact scoring
I’m all for dumping Ladd I just probably stay away from Parise contract but that’s me. I’d imagine they try to move leddy and perhaps try and move boychuk also. They also need to keep eye on expansion draft and that protected list after next year.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
You do realize that no matter what your intentions are your body may not cooperate with them yes?

Parise can say whatever he wants, but he can not GUARANTEE that he won't retire before that contact is up. I mean you do realize it runs until he's 41 yes?

Yes, but the recapture penalty only happens if the player is physically able to play and chooses not to. The recapture penalty is not intended to punish a team because a player becomes injured to the point he can't continue his career. I don't know why people don't realize there are easy ways around it. It's not like the guy has to play 82 games a season until he's 41. He could be a healthy scratch from now until the end of his career if they wanted to.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I’m all for dumping Ladd I just probably stay away from Parise contract but that’s me. I’d imagine they try to move leddy and perhaps try and move boychuk also. They also need to keep eye on expansion draft and that protected list after next year.

No one is taking Boychuck not to mention he has an NTC that allows him to eliminate 22 teams.

Leddy or Bailey - The only big contract players that have any value to other teams (and neither have an NTC).

Giving up Ladd for Parise if it was 1 for 1 is a no brainer risk you must take. However I don't think it'd be 1 for 1 and I don't really see why Minny does it when it's a much bigger risk for them.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Yes, but the recapture penalty only happens if the player is physically able to play and chooses not to. The recapture penalty is not intended to punish a team because a player becomes injured to the point he can't continue his career. I don't know why people don't realize there are easy ways around it. It's not like the guy has to play 82 games a season until he's 41. He could be a healthy scratch from now until the end of his career if they wanted to.

Totally. But the Isles would be doing the Wild a big favor using that circumvention so would the NHL be ok with that? There's no doubt this will be addressed in the next CBA.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Totally. But the Isles would be doing the Wild a big favor using that circumvention so would the NHL be ok with that? There's no doubt this will be addressed in the next CBA.

I have to agree with this - Luongo chose to simply retire and didn't try to play hurt to help Vancouver or Florida. The Parise recapture penalty will be 20 million if he is dealt this offseason, which means if he retires after two more seasons the Wild would have a cap hit of 10 for 2 seasons as well as Ladd's 5.5 cap hit. If Parise retires in the final year, then the Wild would have a recapture penalty of 20 million cap hit for that final year

I'm not sure how realistic it is for the Wild to have a wink and handshake that Parise won't retire and just claim being injured to circumvent the cap.

Moving Leddy and recouping lost picks makes the most sense and try to move Ladd along with 2021 #1 to a team that is looking to reach the cap floor.

Last edited:

SI

Feb 16, 2013
If Barzal gets 9 AAV, Pulock 6.25 AAV, and Toews gets 2.5 AAV (on a 1-year deal only to extend him to a longer deal in the following offseason when there is more cap space), then Islanders & Lou will no choice but to move out salary... Leddy is the prime candidate. With 2 seasons left on his deal at a reasonable cap hit of 5.5, I think teams will be lining up, especially if the ask is getting back some picks - imagining a Hamonic type deal where the team gets back a late 1st and 2nd or two 2nd's and possibly a 3rd rounder.

I don't see Bailey being moved, but I can see Boychuk going (with salary retained) to open up more space.

I would bite the bullet and trade Ladd and 2021 #1 pick to Ottawa for 2021 6th rounder.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
No one is taking Boychuck not to mention he has an NTC that allows him to eliminate 22 teams.

Leddy or Bailey - The only big contract players that have any value to other teams (and neither have an NTC).

Giving up Ladd for Parise if it was 1 for 1 is a no brainer risk you must take. However I don't think it'd be 1 for 1 and I don't really see why Minny does it when it's a much bigger risk for them.

I disagree on Boychuk. He is a strong RHD that has enough in the tank for 2 more seasons.

If the isles agree to retain salary, then I can see it happening.

OR

If the Isles trade him to Ottawa after the bonus is paid out and Ottawa agrees to buy him out once that happens - Boychuk can be a free agent and choose his destination and Ottawa pays 3.5 million of actual $ across two years for a 5.15 AAV cap hit for two years. The Isles would have to attach an asset to Boychuk to make that happen, but the Isles would free up 6 million.

And there is precedent for a deal like this - Marleau to the Canes, who agreed to buy him out and thus he waived his NTC.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Here is Isles Cap situation with Ladd in the minors and Hickey and Leddy still on the team.
This includes Barzal getting 9, Pulock 6.25, and Toews at 2.5

Barzal9
Lee7
Eberle5.5
Nelson6
Beauvillier2.1
Bailey5
Pageau5
Komarov3
Cizikas3.35
Clutterbuck3.5
Johnston1
Dal Colle0.7
Bellows0.894
Pulock 6.25
Boychuk6
Leddy5.5
Toews2.5
Pelech1.6
Mayfield1.45
Hickey2.5
Varlamov5
Sorokin0.925
Ladd4.45
Cap hit88.219
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
This is only a 22 man roster.

Reactions: SayItAintSoJohnny

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Here is the Cap with no Leddy and Dobson replacing him. Still only 22 man roster. Ladd still there.
Also of note Bellows would have to pass waivers, so he cannot just be sent down.

Barzal9
Lee7
Eberle5.5
Nelson6
Beauvillier2.1
Bailey5
Pageau5
Komarov3
Cizikas3.35
Clutterbuck3.5
Johnston1
Dal Colle0.7
Bellows0.894
Pulock 6.25
Boychuk6
Hickey 2.5
Toews2.5
Pelech1.6
Mayfield1.45
Dobson0.925
Varlamov5
Sorokin0.925
total cap hit79.19
Ladd4.45
Total Cap hit With Ladd83.644
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
If the Cap is bumped up to 84.5 and if Ladd is moved, then that would leave 5.3 million in cap space to add a F to help the top 6 - is that enough for Hoffman?

Last edited:

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
If Barzal gets 9 AAV, Pulock 6.25 AAV, and Toews gets 2.5 AAV (on a 1-year deal only to extend him to a longer deal in the following offseason when there is more cap space), then Islanders & Lou will no choice but to move out salary... Leddy is the prime candidate. With 2 seasons left on his deal at a reasonable cap hit of 5.5, I think teams will be lining up, especially if the ask is getting back some picks - imagining a Hamonic type deal where the team gets back a late 1st and 2nd or two 2nd's and possibly a 3rd rounder.

I don't see Bailey being moved, but I can see Boychuk going (with salary retained) to open up more space.

I would bite the bullet and trade Ladd and 2021 #1 pick to Ottawa for 2021 6th rounder.

I don't see Leddy with that return. Islanders would be lucky if it brings back them a late first. I see something more like what it took for us to acquire him due to age and production but you never know. If Leddy is dealt the trade deadline next season would be ideal unless we have concerns about the expansion draft.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
LL can re-sign Greene, trade Leddy to free up space, trade Bailey to free up space; that's more than enough. Bailey is a redundant, pass-first winger, insert a shoot-first winger to take his place.

Also the creative Ladd potentials. LL will work his magic.

Reactions: danteipp

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

There will be other teams looking to position their rosters for the expansion draft. Isles will not be the only sellers.
You might want to keep that in mind when considering a Leddy.

Also, Isles are without a 2020 1st,2020 2bd & 2021 2nd... and you want to move the 2021 1st to dump.
Seriously?

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
There will be other teams looking to position their rosters for the expansion draft. Isles will not be the only sellers.

Also, Isles are without a 2020 1st,2020 2bd & 2021 2nd... and you want to move the 2021 1st to dump.
Seriously?
The Islanders window is now. If doing that makes you more likely to win the cup now you do it, IMO

Reactions: Finnislander

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Every year we hear that contracts are impossible to move and every year we see those same contracts moved. Ladd obviously wants to stop riding buses and get another shot in the NHL. Boychuk has a modified no-trade clause now so he really doesn't have a say and he's still a serviceable defenseman. There are a few options. There could even be a deal where players are packaged for something, like Leddy+Komarov to help clear more space. I'm not concerned.

Is Toews ready to replace Leddy's role? He's struggled this year but has similar attributes. If so, you can trade Leddy, sign Toews to $2.5M and then re-sign someone like Greene for cheap to round out the top 6.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
Every year we hear that contracts are impossible to move and every year we see those same contracts moved. Ladd obviously wants to stop riding buses and get another shot in the NHL. Boychuk has a modified no-trade clause now so he really doesn't have a say and he's still a serviceable defenseman. There are a few options. There could even be a deal where players are packaged for something, like Leddy+Komarov to help clear more space. I'm not concerned.

Is Toews ready to replace Leddy's role? He's struggled this year but has similar attributes. If so, you can trade Leddy, sign Toews to $2.5M and then re-sign someone like Greene for cheap to round out the top 6.

agreed 100% on contracts

as for Toews...yeah he’s struggled this year but leddy has essentially struggled for the better part of his contract after the first season or so. Toews skates well, not as well as leddy but Dobson might be able to make a big jump in year two. It’s time to move on from leddy if we can sign Greene for a year and getting Pelech back. Leddy still likely could fetch us a 1st. Boychuck we would take anything...even Trotz knows he’s a liability based on ice time lately.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
agreed 100% on contracts

as for Toews...yeah he’s struggled this year but leddy has essentially struggled for the better part of his contract after the first season or so. Toews skates well, not as well as leddy but Dobson might be able to make a big jump in year two. It’s time to move on from leddy if we can sign Greene for a year and getting Pelech back. Leddy still likely could fetch us a 1st. Boychuck we would take anything...even Trotz knows he’s a liability based on ice time lately.

It's a shame, I think Boychuk still has value but his contract is too much for what he brings.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It's a shame, I think Boychuk still has value but his contract is too much for what he brings.
If Andy Greene can re-sign here at half the price of Boychuk, we will have that steady presence to replace 55.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I don't see Leddy with that return. Islanders would be lucky if it brings back them a late first. I see something more like what it took for us to acquire him due to age and production but you never know. If Leddy is dealt the trade deadline next season would be ideal unless we have concerns about the expansion draft.

Alec Martinez returned 2 2nd round picks and Leddy is a better D man and an acquiring team would have 2 full seasons.

I can see a late 1st and a 2nd for Leddy, but if some can’t imagine that the least would be a 2020 and 2021 2nd.

Reactions: NickyP76

SI

Feb 16, 2013

Seriously?

A Leddy trade for picks would replenish the cupboard - maybe not all.

Ladd’s contract is not going to go away on its own and if that contract is buried in the minors there is no possible way to upgrade of the top 6 that will have to be from within - Wahlstrom, Holmstrom or Bellows will have to grow up very quick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig