Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2019-20 Pt. VII: The Lou Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
You do realize that no matter what your intentions are your body may not cooperate with them yes?

Parise can say whatever he wants, but he can not GUARANTEE that he won't retire before that contact is up. I mean you do realize it runs until he's 41 yes?
If his body doesn't cooperate, he'll simply go on LTIR. Why would he retire and forfeit money? Even though the bulk of his contract has already been paid due to the front loaded nature of it, he'll still be giving up over a million simply by filing paperwork. That doesn't make all that much sense for him. Especially since he'd be f***ing over a franchise that he undoubtedly has a lot of respect for and fond memories.

Maybe he can't GUARANTEE it, but its certainly in his control.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Wild don't want to necessarily deal him. they are fine to have him until his contract ends. It's Parise that wants out. He doesn't want to go through a rebuild. He stated this in an article in the athletic last summer.

Right and just because he wants out doesn't mean the Wild have any motivation to deal him.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I personally think Martin is done with the Islanders after this year. Not sure he'd take enough of a decrease in pay to stick around.

I think he there a decent possibility, isn't Sydney pregnant? Keeps them "home" on LI and close to Grandpa Boomer.

Just a counterpoint, since we are familiar with how the WAGs can influence decisions :sarcasm:

Reactions: PK Cronin

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I think he there a decent possibility, isn't Sydney pregnant? Keeps them "home" on LI and close to Grandpa Boomer.

Just a counterpoint, since we are familiar with how the WAGs can influence decisions :sarcasm:
Martin definitely would like to stay with the team. By all accounts, he loves it here and I think he realizes that he performs best with CC and CC. The problem is, there may not be a roster spot for him, as well as cap money. With Ross and Leo under contract for next year, that's two guys who can ably fill the #4 LW. And considering the younger guys who will be ready for the team in some capacity (MDC, Bellows, Wahlstrom, etc.), and the number of veterans already under contract, there simply may not be a roster spot for him. He could be the 14th forward or perhaps the new Denis Seidenberg and take on a promiment alumni role, but I'm sure he's not ready to hang'em up. Problem is, his value is greater on Long Island as opposed to elsewhere. But maybe another team gives him some dough. If that's the case, I hope he maximizes his take and does well. He's beloved by every Islander fan.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I forgot about the pregnancy, you're right. No more Kuhnhackl then unless Johnston is going to the minors for a while.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Hey, any chance JGP and Hoffman are buddies? Just thinking ahead.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I forgot about the pregnancy, you're right. No more Kuhnhackl then unless Johnston is going to the minors for a while.
We track flights of free agents and coaches.
We know the contract status of every player on the team, including the cap hit.
We cheer on players who are at least 1/2 our age (or in @doublechili 's case 1/4 our age.)
And we are expected to know when a player's wife is pregnant (and feel slightly ashamed when we forget such valuable information).

We are f***ing crazy.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
We track flights of free agents and coaches.
We know the contract status of every player on the team, including the cap hit.
We cheer on players who are at least 1/2 our age (or in @doublechili 's case 1/4 our age.)
And we are expected to know when a player's wife is pregnant (and feel slightly ashamed when we forget such valuable information).

We are f*cking crazy.

Don't forget knowing what type of fish our 34 year old AHL winger likes to catch!

Reactions: thegoldenyear

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Martin definitely would like to stay with the team. By all accounts, he loves it here and I think he realizes that he performs best with CC and CC. The problem is, there may not be a roster spot for him, as well as cap money. With Ross and Leo under contract for next year, that's two guys who can ably fill the #4 LW. And considering the younger guys who will be ready for the team in some capacity (MDC, Bellows, Wahlstrom, etc.), and the number of veterans already under contract, there simply may not be a roster spot for him. He could be the 14th forward or perhaps the new Denis Seidenberg and take on a promiment alumni role, but I'm sure he's not ready to hang'em up. Problem is, his value is greater on Long Island as opposed to elsewhere. But maybe another team gives him some dough. If that's the case, I hope he maximizes his take and does well. He's beloved by every Islander fan.

Martin's going to be a tough decision. Emotionally, the fans love him. But unless he's taking a pay cut, the money could be used in better places, and he's going to be declining, if he hasn't started already. Like you said, they have Ross and Leo already signed, Ross cheaper and Leo basically unmoveable.

I guess such is the life of a 4th line wing.. there's always someone younger and cheaper coming along, and unfortunately for him, they already have almost $7M tied up in the other two energy line guys. Do you keep paying your 4th line close to $10M?

Reactions: crasherino

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Does anyone know what happens with guys who are becoming UFAs/RFAs at the time of the expansion draft? For example, Cizikas will be a UFA on July 1st the year of the expansion draft. Does he need to be protected if we wait until after the draft to extend him?
As far as I remember from Vegas draft, pending UFAs are treated as any other players, except that the expansion franchise gets exclusive rights to negotiate a contract with any pending UFA just before the draft.

For example, if Cizikas is not extended and not protected, then Seattle is allowed to talk with him and then sign him to a deal. In that case the Isles are exempt from the draft.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
We have had little luck in our transactions/draft since the Dynasty era. Hopefully the tide will turn soon.

We can't even get Sorokin signed over here. Watch that become another Nino situation.
It would be nice for once to have players who want to be Islanders and to have some unexpected talent fall in our laps without paying a premium.

Oh fer *uck's sake, he's still on his KHL contract.

And the NHL and KHL have an agreement NOT to poach/touch players on a contract for the respective league.

We will know NOTHING until Sorokin's contract concludes, which will happen when CSKA's season ends. His team is currently ranked 1st overall in the KHL and the playoffs begin very shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad