Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2019-20 Pt. VII: The Lou Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I agree with your post, but I’m confused

What does the second round pick have to do with a guarantee he would sign here?
Lou wouldn’t have given up a package like that unless he had a good idea that JGP would sign here. The going rate for him was already a first round pick, so he spent the second to secure the deal and not have to enter a bidding war on July 1st.

The Real JT

The slate is clean. LGI
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
It's not too soon for Lou to think about the expansion draft protection list.

In the offseason I could see him sending 2 protected assets for 1 arguably better asset and maybe even try to recoup some draft picks. Maybe we lose Bailey and someone on D??

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Goodnight Gracie.
You're thinking of "say goodnight, Dick" from Laugh-in.

At the end of many of the Burns and Allen Show episodes, Gracie would go on a long, seemingly aimless story, while George just stood there, cigar in mouth, watching. At the end, he would say "say 'goodnight', Gracie", and she would say "goodnight", and wave to the audience.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
You're thinking of "say goodnight, Dick" from Laugh-in.

At the end of many of the Burns and Allen Show episodes, Gracie would go on a long, seemingly aimless story, while George just stood there, cigar in mouth, watching. At the end, he would say "say 'goodnight', Gracie", and she would say "goodnight", and wave to the audience.
I got my generations mixed up

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
It's not too soon for Lou to think about the expansion draft protection list.

In the offseason I could see him sending 2 protected assets for 1 arguably better asset and maybe even try to recoup some draft picks. Maybe we lose Bailey and someone on D??
Does anyone know what happens with guys who are becoming UFAs/RFAs at the time of the expansion draft? For example, Cizikas will be a UFA on July 1st the year of the expansion draft. Does he need to be protected if we wait until after the draft to extend him?

Finnislander

Nov 3, 2017
If the Parise for Ladd deal includes someone like Clutterbuck or Komarov, it actually shaves off another million bucks. Being a few million over is definitely a manageable. We're not talking about filling 11 roster spots with $13M or something. When I say manageable, I mean they can figure out the subsequent moves to make the money work which may include additional trades.

No, I was told for months that we've seen two years of Lamoriello and he's done nothing! I think we're in year four if we're looking at Lamoriello years.
When you are over 70 you have to treat every month as a year. So it feels like you have time left.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Does anyone know what happens with guys who are becoming UFAs/RFAs at the time of the expansion draft? For example, Cizikas will be a UFA on July 1st the year of the expansion draft. Does he need to be protected if we wait until after the draft to extend him?

If they wait until after the draft they do not need to protect Cizikas. I believe RFA's would have to be protected.

Does anyone know what else we were giving up for Parise?

Rumor was Clutterbuck was involved, but nothing concrete.

Reactions: doublechili

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Does anyone know what else we were giving up for Parise?

Not many details leaked out. Only thing we know is that it was being discussed and got as far as the teams asking both Ladd and Parise if they would waive and accept a trade to the others
Team and both said they would.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Rumor was Clutterbuck was involved, but nothing concrete.
I saw the Clutterbuck talk but never saw the source of it. From what I could tell, it seems like it was concocted as his contract would go towards balancing out the numbers. But I never saw anyone with credibility mention his name (Staple, Russo, etc.).

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
If they wait until after the draft they do not need to protect Cizikas. I believe RFA's would have to be protected.
Okay, that would be really good news then about Cizikas. I'm sure they'd have a wink-wink agreement to create an extra protection slot. Also, this means that Martin and/or Greene have incentive to sign just a 1 year deal for next season (assuming they'd rather not get taken by Seattle).

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Okay, that would be really good news then about Cizikas. I'm sure they'd have a wink-wink agreement to create an extra protection slot. Also, this means that Martin and/or Greene have incentive to sign just a 1 year deal for next season (assuming they'd rather not get taken by Seattle).

I personally think Martin is done with the Islanders after this year. Not sure he'd take enough of a decrease in pay to stick around.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Do you think Martin or Greene are candidates for being pouched over a year from now? They'll both be lucky if the Supersonics want them on minor league contracts. Well....Greene has shown to be serviceable, but I still don't think a 38 year old Dman should be worried about the expansion draft.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Do you think Martin or Greene are candidates for being pouched over a year from now? They'll both be lucky if the Supersonics want them on minor league contracts. Well....Greene has shown to be serviceable, but I still don't think a 38 year old Dman should be worried about the expansion draft.
Yeah, you're probably right. You never do know though and if Lou offers 1 year that might be enough to push them to accept. The alternative might be to take 2 years somewhere else, but then it's with some other GM who might sell them down the river in a deal with Seattle.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The article I read said Parise has already told the Wild that the recapture is a non-issue because he insists he'll play out his contract no matter what happens.

You do realize that no matter what your intentions are your body may not cooperate with them yes?

Parise can say whatever he wants, but he can not GUARANTEE that he won't retire before that contact is up. I mean you do realize it runs until he's 41 yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad