Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2019-20 Pt. IX: Bubble Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Well I think for some here that just "enjoy hockey" the better the Isles do the better they'll feel, but they're not more like "Stanley Cup is the only thing" like you and I.

That said, it's totally cool to not want Parise (I really get that), but given the total lack of cap space even just to resign our own RFA's how do you propose we improve the team which is necessary to become that Cup champion that you and I both want this offseason ?
First let me say that I enjoyed our run in the playoffs as much as anyone and if by some miracle we had won a Cup I would have celebrated wildly, but that run did not reflect reality.

Reality exists somewhere between the magic of this post season and the fact that we were on our way to not making the playoffs at all six months ago. We're not a good as the run and not as bad as the Feb/March meltdown. (Yes, thank you all in advance, I know Pelech was hurt - a lot of teams had hurt players and didn't implode). Expectations have now been raised even further, expectations that have led Lou to make moves I would not have made that have left us with no draft picks and painted us into a cap corner. That's my long winded way of saying I'm not sure there is much to be done to improve the team in the short run, other than to hope that Sorokin is all they say he is and that Bellows and/or Wahlstrom hit and maybe Holmstrom a year out. I am more hopeful about Sorokin than I am about any of the others. Of course the # 1 dream is that Lou finds a way out of the Ladd mess - just not by taking on an even more expensive contract for an aging player that will put us right back where we are now in 3 years.

I believe virtually every speculative post I read overvalues what we have to move so I don't put much credence in them and I'm pretty sure Lou isn't reading them to get ideas. I trust BT more than I do Lou when it comes to personnel so I just hope that Lou and BT are in constant consultation with one another about any potential big fish moves, ie Laine and Boeser, and how they would work in BTs system, particularly in Laine's case. But really, I think talking about any of that is a pipe dream as long as Ladd is still here.

The big caveat, as I have stated too many times already, is that none of us have a clue what is going to happen in the next month or two player movement wise. The money aspect beyond the cap is very real for a lot of owners. Hopefully Ledecky/Malkin are financially well positioned enough that that is not a consideration for them. Fortunately, I have read nothing that suggests they aren't. So far.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Still waiting for the perfect player to become available I see.

I could care less about perfect players. They don't exist, but for the purposes of context generational players like Howe, Gretzky, Mario, Crosby, and McDavid are "perfect" in that what they bring to your team is so over the top good that if they have any flaws they don't matter. The only real chance you have of getting guys like this is to suck so bad and in the perfect year and then win the draft lottery.

So taking all that off the table, I love plenty of players who by definition are imperfect. Just for me I am a massive believer in that effort/smarts can overcome talent, so the one area I won't compromise when it comes to signing or trading for a player is effort.

Cizikas and Beauvillier are such flawed players, but man do I love them. You know what you can count on each shift and those are the guys I not only want to root for, but have more fun doing so than someone like Eberle.

Recently I watched some highlights from the 2001-2002 Islanders and what an "ugly" motley crew of a team that was. We hadn't been to the playoffs in the previous 7 years so we were all starving for playoff hockey and would've rooted for a bunch of birch trees skating around.

That said who's name was echoing throughout the rafters there for the effort he gave - Steve Webb. Who had the most memorable playoff moment since that Tavares wrap around goal to win vs the Panthers - Shawn Bates.

They did so giving more effort than the more talented Yashin or Kvasha. I also loved Peca back then, but of course we remember what happened to him.

So the point is that I want 100% effort guys and work backwards from there. While Nelson has improved a lot as a player it still infuriates me because he could be a legit #1 center in this league, but misses out on a lot of plays because he gets lazy at times and doesn't move his feet and is caught reaching. He also lacks a real fire/intensity/grit that you see in several others on the team and it's such a shame because when you're 6'3/200 lbs you should not get pushed around as much as Nelson does - Not to mention losing battles along the boards. Now I don't see Nelson ever getting a more fiery personality so when he's not scoring/creating offense I not only am disappointed, but he's not fun to watch play as a lover of hockey. If he ever did start giving effort like Cizikas, Beauvillier, or heck even Steve Webb he might even become my favorite player on the team.

So to repeat...I don't want to give up any (significant) assets for players who aren't "100% effort" guys. When you see top-end talents hitting the trade market then usually something else is wrong, and if the wrong is that something is wrong with their heart or head then I'll probably want nothing to do with them. I would never want to do anything like the Yashin or Luongo trades ever again because in both cases the target in the deal had questionable work ethic (Yashin) and/or smarts (Kvasha).

Hopefully that makes sense to you now.

EDIT - Also let me say that I LOVE Pelech. Is he the most intense guy? Not even close, but he is hands down the smartest guy on the team. He sees the game differently that the other D-men and thus the reason he's our best. His effort is always good, but it's his smarts that take his game to the next level. It's no accident that we were a mess when he got injured. I just pray that with his new injury it's not a Radek Martinek case where he can't stay healthy.

That said, give me a defense of 6-7 "Pelechs" and I'd be fine with that over someone more talented/costly/flashy like Subban. I love Pelech and love watching him play because he is a "hockey artist" out there while Subban I would want to launch into the sun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I could care less about perfect players. They don't exist, but for the purposes of context generational players like Howe, Gretzky, Mario, Crosby, and McDavid are "perfect" in that what they bring to your team is so over the top good that if they have any flaws they don't matter. The only real chance you have of getting guys like this is to suck so bad and in the perfect year and then win the draft lottery.

So taking all that off the table, I love plenty of players who by definition are imperfect. Just for me I am a massive believer in that effort/smarts can overcome talent, so the one area I won't compromise when it comes to signing or trading for a player is effort.

Cizikas and Beauvillier are such flawed players, but man do I love them. You know what you can count on each shift and those are the guys I not only want to root for, but have more fun doing so than someone like Eberle.

Recently I watched some highlights from the 2001-2002 Islanders and what an "ugly" motley crew of a team that was. We hadn't been to the playoffs in the previous 7 years so we were all starving for playoff hockey and would've rooted for a bunch of birch trees skating around.

That said who's name was echoing throughout the rafters there for the effort he gave - Steve Webb. Who had the most memorable playoff moment since that Tavares wrap around goal to win vs the Panthers - Shawn Bates.

They did so giving more effort than the more talented Yashin or Kvasha. I also loved Peca back then, but of course we remember what happened to him.

So the point is that I want 100% effort guys and work backwards from there. While Nelson has improved a lot as a player it still infuriates me because he could be a legit #1 center in this league, but misses out on a lot of plays because he gets lazy at times and doesn't move his feet and is caught reaching. He also lacks a real fire/intensity/grit that you see in several others on the team and it's such a shame because when you're 6'3/200 lbs you should not get pushed around as much as Nelson does - Not to mention losing battles along the boards. Now I don't see Nelson ever getting a more fiery personality so when he's not scoring/creating offense I not only am disappointed, but he's not fun to watch play as a lover of hockey. If he ever did start giving effort like Cizikas, Beauvillier, or heck even Steve Webb he might even become my favorite player on the team.

So to repeat...I don't want to give up any (significant) assets for players who aren't "100% effort" guys. When you see top-end talents hitting the trade market then usually something else is wrong, and if the wrong is that something is wrong with their heart or head then I'll probably want nothing to do with them. I would never want to do anything like the Yashin or Luongo trades ever again because in both cases the target in the deal had questionable work ethic (Yashin) and/or smarts (Kvasha).

Hopefully that makes sense to you now.

EDIT - Also let me say that I LOVE Pelech. Is he the most intense guy? Not even close, but he is hands down the smartest guy on the team. He sees the game differently that the other D-men and thus the reason he's our best. His effort is always good, but it's his smarts that take his game to the next level. It's no accident that we were a mess when he got injured. I just pray that with his new injury it's not a Radek Martinek case where he can't stay healthy.

That said, give me a defense of 6-7 "Pelechs" and I'd be fine with that over someone more talented/costly/flashy like Subban. I love Pelech and love watching him play because he is a "hockey artist" out there while Subban I would want to launch into the sun.

I just think you have a tendency to exaggerate or shut down any discussion about a particular player because of a perceived effort issue. At some point you need to take a risk and grab a guy who has talent and hope you can fix some of the other parts of their game. You didn't want O'Reilly because his heart wasn't in the game anymore and then he turned it all around and won the Conn Smythe, along with being a Selke candidate over and over again. You don't want Laine because he might have some other issues, while simultaneously mentioning that Eberle putting pucks in the back of the net is the most important part of the game (at least I think it was you who said that, my mistake if it wasn't) and therefore it didn't matter much about the rest of his game at the time. We can't get a guy like Kessel because he eats hot dogs and isn't the roughest or toughest player either. Parise, though he fits what you describe, is on an awful contract and is old, so we can't get him either. Who exactly is available that you do want? Not every player coming across the wire is Mark Stone (who I believe you really wanted). If you were GM I'd have a fear of you waiting and waiting for the move that never came. That's all.

I'm with you 100% on Pelech, and I love guys like Cizikas and Beauvillier, and I'm sure Pageau will grow even more on me. But you cannot win with just effort alone. This team needs a goal scorer in the worst way and fans should become comfortable with the idea that whomever is brought in might be flawed. What I do not want is a player who refuses to play within the system. Laine and Boeser are young still, I wouldn't have any problem making a move for those types of guys, same for a guy like Johnny Gaudreau. At some point we have need to take that leap or we'll miss the bus and have to start over again.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Could the league financial struggles actually help the isles, in any attempts to move Boychuk or another player with a front loaded salary?

I have read that some teams are in actual danger of being sold, that some teams will set an internal cap and spend much closer to the cap fl then ceiling.. Those teams will be more concerned with actual cash paid out and less concerned with a players cap hit.

I understand what you mean, with cap hit being less important than actual cash needed to pay out. Moving Boychuk could be easier now because if we pay his signing bonus, he's a $1,250,000 player this year and $4 million next year guy... so it's moveable.

But the problem we are going to face with our cap challenges is that every team in the league is in virtually the exact same boat: EVERYONE needs to clear salary and almost everyone needs to clear cap space, too.

We're in a crunch because we've got Barzal, Pulock, Toews who need raises; and we've only got $8.2 million to fit that. It's "tight" for the Islanders, and there are 13 teams with less cap space than us. Of the 18 with more space.. most everyone else has their RFAs that are due significant raises AND they have to replace people and the cap is flat.

Inflation on all the RFAs in hockey will basically take up all the available cap space in the league... so EVERYONE is going to look to go in-house first and then see what's out there.

The main positive is, yes, we would have a much easier time moving Boychuk because his salary vs cap hit has value. But the downside is that the teams we're calling to offer that value to are going to have similar offers from 10 other clubs and you're going to have to pay a premium to have them pick your offer. It's very much like the Vegas expansion draft situation, where we paid a ransom to keep all of Brock Nelson, Josh Bailey, Ryan Strome, Calvin de Haan, Scott Mayfield and Jaro Halak.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I just think you have a tendency to exaggerate or shut down any discussion about a particular player because of a perceived effort issue. At some point you need to take a risk and grab a guy who has talent and hope you can fix some of the other parts of their game. You didn't want O'Reilly because his heart wasn't in the game anymore and then he turned it all around and won the Conn Smythe, along with being a Selke candidate over and over again. You don't want Laine because he might have some other issues, while simultaneously mentioning that Eberle putting pucks in the back of the net is the most important part of the game (at least I think it was you who said that, my mistake if it wasn't) and therefore it didn't matter much about the rest of his game at the time. We can't get a guy like Kessel because he eats hot dogs and isn't the roughest or toughest player either. Parise, though he fits what you describe, is on an awful contract and is old, so we can't get him either. Who exactly is available that you do want? Not every player coming across the wire is Mark Stone (who I believe you really wanted). If you were GM I'd have a fear of you waiting and waiting for the move that never came. That's all.

I'm with you 100% on Pelech, and I love guys like Cizikas and Beauvillier, and I'm sure Pageau will grow even more on me. But you cannot win with just effort alone. This team needs a goal scorer in the worst way and fans should become comfortable with the idea that whomever is brought in might be flawed. What I do not want is a player who refuses to play within the system. Laine and Boeser are young still, I wouldn't have any problem making a move for those types of guys, same for a guy like Johnny Gaudreau. At some point we have need to take that leap or we'll miss the bus and have to start over again.

Yeah - I do shut down discussions for players that I believe won't help us win the Cup. Could I be wrong? Absolutely, but the same way I watch tape on college football players so I know who to draft when the reach the NFL, I try to do the same with NHL players. I'm always thinking if they'll fit in here, how will they help, etc.

Yes - At some point you have to go for it or start rebuilding. Lou certainly "went for it" this trade deadline, but in doing so reduced the cap space and options to do much else short term (and I like Greene and Pageau).

Not sure your feelings on it, but I hated the Yashin deal the 2nd it happened (I hated the Luongo deal even more). Once could argue that deal broke a 7 year playoff drought, but did it really make us a contender? And with a bunch of our guys getting older or at the top/downside of their careers I wouldn't want to give up young assets for the type of player that's going to command a long-term contract. Most people don't want to give up Ladd+ for Parise because he has 5 more years at 7.5M and I understand that, but I'd rather do that deal then give up more for Laine and then have to give him a Jeff Skinner or more contract. Once you do that he's basically untradable and then if you have to rebuild his cap hit would delay that process.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I don't see why we'd do that. Bellows shouldn't be a sweetener for someone take take a bad contract.

I think Bellows' value is a 3rd at the absolute top, so yes he would be a sweetener, but not much of one.

The price to take 1 year of Marleau's contract was a 1st rounder.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
We're not going to "like" any trades we make this off-season based on the trade itself, but moving Boychuk, Leddy, Ladd, Komarov AT ALL is a winning trade because of what it allows us to do.
(And I really like Boychuk and Leddy. And Matt Martin).

But this is both a terrible year to try and add because we have no cap space, and it's a terrible year to rebuild because no one else has any either and wants to take on salary of our assets.

This is going to be all creativity to bring back as many of the core guys as we can, move as many of the non-core guys as we can, rely on in-house replacements like Dobson and Johnston, and then see if there's a $5 million player with no offers because he's a $5 million player who will take a one-year deal with us because we made the ECF and he makes us better.

I'm guessing tons of guys are going to take one-year deals because the flat cap means no one can afford UFAs. We could find ourselves in a position to steal a UFA at a bargain price and get better.... but we HAVE to move Boychuk and Leddy first.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Resign Barzal & if Pulock wants too much or no cap available to do so, he will be Isles's best trading asset to actually land a sniper if any is available on the market. If you have a young sniper than do you still need to keep both Bellows and Walhstrome? Keep in mind that Holmstrom also has a good hand & potentially can score a lot (if he can stay healthy). Also, there will always be other UFA down the road available or young undrafted players (such as Kiviranta) that you may find if only you look really hard.

Actually I am extremely surprised that Laine and Boeser are available for trade at all as I thought they should be core players their respective teams want to keep not moved.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yeah - I do shut down discussions for players that I believe won't help us win the Cup. Could I be wrong? Absolutely, but the same way I watch tape on college football players so I know who to draft when the reach the NFL, I try to do the same with NHL players. I'm always thinking if they'll fit in here, how will they help, etc.

Yes - At some point you have to go for it or start rebuilding. Lou certainly "went for it" this trade deadline, but in doing so reduced the cap space and options to do much else short term (and I like Greene and Pageau).

I think the cap isn't a huge issue right now but became a much bigger issue because of COVID (obviously). I'm not one to overvalue draft picks.

I'm just not sure who you even want to try and acquire.

Not sure your feelings on it, but I hated the Yashin deal the 2nd it happened (I hated the Luongo deal even more). Once could argue that deal broke a 7 year playoff drought, but did it really make us a contender? And with a bunch of our guys getting older or at the top/downside of their careers I wouldn't want to give up young assets for the type of player that's going to command a long-term contract. Most people don't want to give up Ladd+ for Parise because he has 5 more years at 7.5M and I understand that, but I'd rather do that deal then give up more for Laine and then have to give him a Jeff Skinner or more contract. Once you do that he's basically untradable and then if you have to rebuild his cap hit would delay that process.

I was too young to have any kind of informed opinion of that trade at the time. Laine might become untradeable if you acquire and sign him to a massive deal, but so will any player similar to him. He's young enough he's worth the risk for me.

I think Bellows' value is a 3rd at the absolute top, so yes he would be a sweetener, but not much of one.

The price to take 1 year of Marleau's contract was a 1st rounder.

I just don't see the point in making a deal including him like that one. He's close to being a bottom 6 contributor and that's soon rather than years down the line.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
So what is exactly is the process for placing a player on LTIR? It feels like we've been talking about Ladd going this route for two years and clearly he would seemingly qualify based on his injuries and stuck in cement skating. Is it something that needs to be agreed upon by both sides? Can Lou just declare it? Does it need to be independently agreed upon?

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
So what is exactly is the process for placing a player on LTIR? It feels like we've been talking about Ladd going this route for two years and clearly he would seemingly qualify based on his injuries and stuck in cement skating. Is it something that needs to be agreed upon by both sides? Can Lou just declare it? Does it need to be independently agreed upon?

I am copying and pasting several sections that seem relevant, which of course would be easier to defend against any questions/follow-up by the league, if the player is in agreement with the decision by the club, the club physician and the results of the physical examination used to support the determination -

16.11 Injured Reserve List/Injured Non-Roster.

(a) The Injured Reserve List is a category of the Reserve List. A Club may place a Player on the Injured Reserve List only if such Player is reasonably expected to be injured, ill or disabled and unable to perform his duties as a hockey Player for a minimum of seven (7) days from the onset of such injury, illness or disability. A Player who finishes an NHL Season on the Injured Reserve List and continues to be disabled and unable to perform his duties as a hockey Player by reason of the same injury at the time he reports to the Club’s Training Camp in the next League Year, will again be eligible to be placed on the Club’s Injured Reserve List. For any other Player who fails the Club’s initial physical examination in any League Year, or is injured, ill or disabled while not on the Club’s Active Roster, he shall not be eligible for, and may not be placed on, Injured Reserve, but instead shall be eligible to be, and may be designated as, Injured Non-Roster.

(b) A Player on whose behalf a Club has exercised the Bona Fide Long Term Injury/Illness Exception shall be placed on Injured Reserve for the period of such Exception, including any period the Player is on a Bona Fide Long Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan.

(d) Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception to the Upper Limit. In the event that a Player on a Club becomes unfit to play (i.e., is injured, ill or disabled and unable to perform his duties as a hockey Player) such that the Club’s physician believes, in his or her opinion, that the Player, owing to either an injury or an illness, will be unfit to play for at least (i) twenty-four (24) calendar days and (ii) ten (10) NHL Regular Season games, and such Club desires to replace such Player, the Club may add an additional Player or Players to its Active Roster, and the replacement Player Salary and Bonuses of such additional Player(s) may increase the Club’s Averaged Club Salary to an amount up to and exceeding the Upper Limit, solely as, and to the extent and for the duration, set forth below. If, however, the League wishes to challenge the determination of a Club physician that a Player is unfit to play for purposes of the Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception, the League and the NHLPA shall promptly confer and jointly select a neutral physician, who shall review the Club physician’s determination regarding the Player’s fitness to play.

Reactions: Duanesutter12

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
I am copying and pasting several sections that seem relevant, which of course would be easier to defend against any questions/follow-up by the league, if the player is in agreement with the decision by the club, the club physician and the results of the physical examination used to support the determination -

16.11 Injured Reserve List/Injured Non-Roster.

(a) The Injured Reserve List is a category of the Reserve List. A Club may place a Player on the Injured Reserve List only if such Player is reasonably expected to be injured, ill or disabled and unable to perform his duties as a hockey Player for a minimum of seven (7) days from the onset of such injury, illness or disability. A Player who finishes an NHL Season on the Injured Reserve List and continues to be disabled and unable to perform his duties as a hockey Player by reason of the same injury at the time he reports to the Club’s Training Camp in the next League Year, will again be eligible to be placed on the Club’s Injured Reserve List. For any other Player who fails the Club’s initial physical examination in any League Year, or is injured, ill or disabled while not on the Club’s Active Roster, he shall not be eligible for, and may not be placed on, Injured Reserve, but instead shall be eligible to be, and may be designated as, Injured Non-Roster.

(b) A Player on whose behalf a Club has exercised the Bona Fide Long Term Injury/Illness Exception shall be placed on Injured Reserve for the period of such Exception, including any period the Player is on a Bona Fide Long Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan.

(d) Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception to the Upper Limit. In the event that a Player on a Club becomes unfit to play (i.e., is injured, ill or disabled and unable to perform his duties as a hockey Player) such that the Club’s physician believes, in his or her opinion, that the Player, owing to either an injury or an illness, will be unfit to play for at least (i) twenty-four (24) calendar days and (ii) ten (10) NHL Regular Season games, and such Club desires to replace such Player, the Club may add an additional Player or Players to its Active Roster, and the replacement Player Salary and Bonuses of such additional Player(s) may increase the Club’s Averaged Club Salary to an amount up to and exceeding the Upper Limit, solely as, and to the extent and for the duration, set forth below. If, however, the League wishes to challenge the determination of a Club physician that a Player is unfit to play for purposes of the Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception, the League and the NHLPA shall promptly confer and jointly select a neutral physician, who shall review the Club physician’s determination regarding the Player’s fitness to play.
Thanks Ipp! Seems like a lot of gray area in there. I guess it would come down to Ladd and the Isles agreeing to LTIR. One other factor I think has to be considered is how willing will ownership be to do LTIR as well? They're the ones that would have to eat that money and add cap space elsewhere. Does the current environment allow for that given there is very little revenue that would normally be coming into the organization? We may have to accept that we might need to do a Marleau trade or two to unload Ladd or Boychuck.

Reactions: danteipp

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Thanks Ipp! Seems like a lot of gray area in there. I guess it would come down to Ladd and the Isles agreeing to LTIR. One other factor I think has to be considered is how willing will ownership be to do LTIR as well? They're the ones that would have to eat that money and add cap space elsewhere. Does the current environment allow for that given there is very little revenue that would normally be coming into the organization? We may have to accept that we might need to do a Marleau trade or two to unload Ladd or Boychuck.

Contracts can be partially or fully insured, it depends on the specific terms and conditions, premiums paid, etc. So there is a chance that Ladd could at least be partially covered, making the expenditure more palatable to ownership.

I believe it will depend on what the team designates as the reason for Ladd being sent to LTIR and if it was a pre-existing condition. So maybe Ladd's chronic shoulder injury might not be covered, but his torn ACL might be. And, ultimately, his skating is the bigger issue, since his shot isn't that bad.

It sounds like Brandon Dubinsky's chronic wrist condition is fully covered by insurance. Which makes sense, since I believe he had more issues with concussions and those might be excluded or incur a reduced insurance payout.

I guess we will find out more as this offseason develops.

Reactions: Duanesutter12

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
If salary was cleared, would Hall accept a shorter and cheaper deal to play with his buddy on the right side? Kind of a "prove it" deal.

He wouldn't accept a 'prove it' deal, however it's framed. He's been waiting for FA and to be on a contender for years.

In terms of upgrading NYI's forward core, I take him over Laine. Speed and IQ stand out; I suspect he would fit nicely with Barz. I see a player willing to commit to winning, wanting to play on a contender, pushing NJD to the playoffs. Put him on a playoff-caliber team, w/ a supporting cast, he will excel. Yeah, he's older, but will not cost Pulock, Dobson etc. Barzal cannot win alone, nor can Hall.

I'd imagine he'd accept less on a longer term deal, most pundits agree. He had a down year, the injury hx., the 'flat' cap substantiate him getting less than the 'pop' expects.

He's not Panarin, however, it wouldn't hurt Lou to pursue him strongly (when I state that, it means cap space will be a resource); I surmise he will. He'll take less, and he wants to be on a contender. Only 2-3 years removed from an MVP, 28/29 YO.

Of course, the injury history translating to decline, that's the caveat.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
He wouldn't accept a 'prove it' deal, however it's framed. He's been waiting for FA and to be on a contender for years.

In terms of upgrading NYI's forward core, I take him over Laine. Speed and IQ stand out; I suspect he would fit nicely with Barz. I see a player willing to commit to winning, wanting to play on a contender, pushing NJD to the playoffs. Put him on a playoff-caliber team, w/ a supporting cast, he will excel. Yeah, he's older, but will not cost Pulock, Dobson etc. Barzal cannot win alone, nor can Hall.

I'd imagine he'd accept less on a longer term deal, most pundits agree. He had a down year, the injury hx., the 'flat' cap substantiate him getting less than the 'pop' expects.

He's not Panarin, however, it wouldn't hurt Lou to pursue him strongly (when I state that, it means cap space will be a resource); I surmise he will. He'll take less, and he wants to be on a contender. Only 2-3 years removed from an MVP, 28/29 YO.

If we knew Lou could manage to free up the dollars necessary to get one of the high profile UFA forwards out there, the big, big question is what we need more:
- Hall's overall speed and offensive wherewithal (more expensive)
- Hoffman's as a pure, unadulterated power play weapon (less, but still expensive)

I sure wish that window of freed up money was already there.

Shot of Bailey

Apr 9, 2013
PEI, Canada

Hall/Barzy/Eberle would certainly be an interesting line.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Who are likely trading partners for Lou? Do you speculate based on history or available cap space? I am likely doing the same as everyone else in looking at cap space. There are several teams that have rosters that leave you shaking your head. Buffalo, Detriot and LA in particular.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
there are lots of fans who want us to trade for a 'scorer', but i don't think we will be able to.

to sign Martin, Barzal, Pulock, Toews, and Greene, we are going to need to probably clear another 6 or 7 million from current roster. trading Leddy away will have to be for us to maintain cap, it won't be to acquire a sniper F.

then we have to do it again next year.

Pelech, Beau, and Sorokin. hopefully we need to clear another 8-10 million for these 3. i say hopefully, because i fully expect Beau and Sorokin to impress, and require decent raises. i have no doubt that Pelech gets a big raise.

i don't think we can do anything other than rely on our youth. if we stand as is. if LL can stir up the pot a bit, maybe trade 2 players for 3? trade away more picks? idk... there won't be many teams willing to take a a bad contract for picks.

i just would not be setting my hopes too high, right now, when it comes to acquiring.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
there are lots of fans who want us to trade for a 'scorer', but i don't think we will be able to.

to sign Martin, Barzal, Pulock, Toews, and Greene, we are going to need to probably clear another 6 or 7 million from current roster. trading Leddy away will have to be for us to maintain cap, it won't be to acquire a sniper F.

then we have to do it again next year.

Pelech, Beau, and Sorokin. hopefully we need to clear another 8-10 million for these 3. i say hopefully, because i fully expect Beau and Sorokin to impress, and require decent raises. i have no doubt that Pelech gets a big raise.

i don't think we can do anything other than rely on our youth. if we stand as is. if LL can stir up the pot a bit, maybe trade 2 players for 3? trade away more picks? idk... there won't be many teams willing to take a a bad contract for picks.

i just would not be setting my hopes too high, right now, when it comes to acquiring.

Next year there's the expansion draft which can remove some salary. Lamoriello, as it stands today, should be aiming to force Seattle to take someone with a larger contract.

The flat cap is going to impact raises for guys and I think they're just going to have to accept it. Teams don't have the room or money to pay what they otherwise would've. Bad timing for the players but it is what it is.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Next year there's the expansion draft which can remove some salary. Lamoriello, as it stands today, should be aiming to force Seattle to take someone with a larger contract.

The flat cap is going to impact raises for guys and I think they're just going to have to accept it. Teams don't have the room or money to pay what they otherwise would've. Bad timing for the players but it is what it is.

not a guarantee. if given a choice between Eberle and Bellows, it wouldn't surprise me if the Kraken take Bellows.

not much that teams can do about UFA's, but i wonder if teams will start getting tougher on RFA's?
gonna be interesting.

Reactions: PK Cronin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
not a guarantee. if given a choice between Eberle and Bellows, it wouldn't surprise me if the Kraken take Bellows.

not much that teams can do about UFA's, but i wonder if teams will start getting tougher on RFA's?
gonna be interesting.

I'd be very surprised if they took a prospect instead of an established NHLer. I expect they want to do what Vegas did and hit the ground running. Either way, I wouldn't be making it easy for them and would force them into making a bad decision as best as I could.

Reactions: buud
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad