Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2019-20 Pt. IX: Bubble Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

attilatheislander

It's Mr. Chicken Little to you!
Oct 10, 2014
California
This thread has many intelligent posts that have enlightened me.

I'm thinking of year's market as a quasi-expansion draft. Most teams are making their undesirables available to a handful of bottom feeders. The bottom feeders have their pick of a large litter. The flat cap has warped trades from being deals of equivalency to almost total subtraction on one side and addition on the other.

I wonder how this market will affect parity in the league.

Reactions: Beacon Isles

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
They would be falling over themselves to acquire Brandon Dubinsky's contract right now. A $5.85 million cap hit and it is supposed to be fully insured. The only out-of-pocket expense might be the $50 co-pay for the physical to submit to insurance.
I read something recently about how Lou might look to acquire players to put on LTIR to expand his cap space. I don't understand the concept, but it's a thing and speculation was that Lou might do it.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
I would prefer Ehlers to be honest. I like his speed better and Laine is very streaky and borderline lazy. Ehlers is a guy who can fill the net next to Barzal
I would prefer Laine because players that can shoot like that don't come along very often but I love Ehlers! The idea of he and Barzal skating together on the same line would be unbelievable.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Another genius post. Why...?

Because it's based in reality.

Too many out there just keep spewing, "Trade this guy or sign that guy," without even attempting to understand the realities of how the business of sports, and specifically the NHL, work.

Before suggesting any trade or signing every one of us should go to capfriendly.com and poke around to see if the numbers work at least. Values can be subjective, but it helps to know not just the Islanders cap/contract situation, but the cap/situations for every single team in the league...As well as their situations for years to come, UFAs, NTC/MNCs, and anything else.

Knowledge and understanding of the big picture are what make awesome posts - Not just blindly suggesting something because it just benefits the Islanders.
It is a great post and Chapin is the best at posting about the business of hockey but I still contend we view these things through the prism of our own problems and hence underestimate the return we can get for our best assets. We will see what happens. It's going to be one of the more wild off seasons we've had in a long time!

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
If you can't trade him at all then use him. Use Ladd on PK to see if he can help and if not he probably will end up getting hurt again. If you can't trade him and he is healthy then you must play him somehow and if he plays well he may get some team to look at him next season. If not, he likely will know that it is time to retire or he may end up getting hurt again.
He is not good enough to play over MDC. Bridgeport or bust.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I read something recently about how Lou might look to acquire players to put on LTIR to expand his cap space. I don't understand the concept, but it's a thing and speculation was that Lou might do it.

That's what Toronto did. It allowed them to spend roughly $10m above the cap ceiling.

Reactions: doublechili

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island

Definitely an option. Maybe say Leo for Gaborik---moves Leos cap and helps OTT to the floor and Gaborik goes right to LTIR for the relief

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Getting off the Laine insanity for a second, what FA winger (or trade I guess) would you guys be interested in on a modest contract that possibly would allow Beauvillier to drop to that third line with JGP (and hopefully Wahsltrom)? Left or right doesn't matter because we know Josh can move over if need be....

Assuming of course we were able to squeeze such a player into our cap space after all is said and done??

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Definitely an option. Maybe say Leo for Gaborik---moves Leos cap and helps OTT to the floor and Gaborik goes right to LTIR for the relief

Kesler with 2 yrs and a $6.8m caphit would be an even better pickup. Allow the isles some cap room for each of the next 2 seaso0ns.
Ducks 2020-2021 payroll is at $68m+. Moving Kesler and getting a small or even no salary back would still have them above the cap fl.

Below is a look at a few more LTIR options. I wouldn't want the Seabrooke contract because he is saying he recovering well, that he can still play and wants to play.

Expect the Toronto Maple Leafs to hunt for more LTIR contracts - TSN.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad