Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2019-20 Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Ryan Donato from Minny has really fallen off for them. I thought he might have been a good option as 3C.

I like Donato, but more on the wing.

I thought a Ho-Sang for Donato deal might make sense - the downside on Donato is he makes almost 2 m.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
For us it does, but not for them.

A 2nd and Bellows might be the better offer. Or if we want to dump Komarov it would take a 2nd and a 3rd but I doubt LL or BT want to trade Leo now.

Agreed, but $ has to go back to NJ - The team can't afford to take on a 5.75 cap hit next season.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Agreed, but $ has to go back to NJ - The team can't afford to take on a 5.75 cap hit next season.

That can be handled over the summer. I doubt the 4th line comes back as is next year and either Clutter or Martin will be that savings. Can;t see Wahlstrom starting in Bridgeport next year and spots need to be opened on the wing.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
I had a great chat with Ledecky and I said to him, whatever you do, don't let what happened to Tavares happen to Barzal. Find him a legit winger that can help drive the line and someone Barzal can be excited about playing with for years. His response...we had a trade in place for Ehlers for Pulock. He said Lou makes the final decision and in the end said no.
If a Pulock for Ehlers trade was truly offered....the old man should have jumped on it.......with both feet!!

scott99

May 13, 2005
If a Pulock for Ehlers trade was truly offered....the old man should have jumped on it.......with both feet!!
I don't know about that. Currently, Pulock is our best Dman. I can understand it from Winnipeg's side, after losing Trouba, getting a big, right handed offensive dman was probably a priority, especially one on a good contract. I'd gladly give Leddy +.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Absolutely not! The Islanders don’t have another defenseman who brings to the table what Pulock has, namely a cannon of a shot. I’m waiting for the day they run the power play through Pulock and have him playing in the Ovechkin spot on the wall.

IMO we have 2 defensemen who are untouchable, Pulock and Dobson. Everyone else can be had.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Absolutely not! The Islanders don’t have another defenseman who brings to the table what Pulock has, namely a cannon of a shot. I’m waiting for the day they run the power play through Pulock and have him playing in the Ovechkin spot on the wall.

IMO we have 2 defensemen who are untouchable, Pulock and Dobson. Everyone else can be had.

They can be had, but not until the off season. Hickey's injury woes and Dobson's lack of PT/eligibility concerns all but guarantees that defensive minded Trotz isn't about to mess with the 6-man rotation he has now- not when are winning. Adding a scorer while subtracting any of those 6 is not something he will be looking at doing. Boychuk brings the steadiness, Mayfield has been solid and is a complete bargain, Leddy still controls the action too much and of course our future lies with Pulock, Pelech and Toews...so it just isn't happening......until the offseason.

Perhaps if Noah would have seen more action, but I don't know that Lou/Trotz and co. see anything in Bridgeport that would make them willing to take the risk.....

No, the idea of moving one of them during the season has come and gone, now we will have to get creative with forward assets (yuck), prospects and draft picks to add anyone...

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
They can be had, but not until the off season. Hickey's injury woes and Dobson's lack of PT/eligibility concerns all but guarantees that defensive minded Trotz isn't about to mess with the 6-man rotation he has now- not when are winning. Adding a scorer while subtracting any of those 6 is not something he will be looking at doing. Boychuk brings the steadiness, Mayfield has been solid and is a complete bargain, Leddy still controls the action too much and of course our future lies with Pulock, Pelech and Toews...so it just isn't happening......until the offseason.

Perhaps if Noah would have seen more action, but I don't know that Lou/Trotz and co. see anything in Bridgeport that would make them willing to take the risk.....

No, the idea of moving one of them during the season has come and gone, now we will have to get creative with forward assets (yuck), prospects and draft picks to add anyone...
Agree in principle with all of this, except the last paragraph. If it takes trading a defenseman from the NHL roster for one of the big fish out there I think we have enough depth to spare on the blue line. Even if it means trusting Dobson.

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
Well, that's exactly what he's saying there. That Lou should have stomped that idea out.

what I don’t get about that story is he said Ledecky said there was a deal in place for Ehlers for Pulock but Lou nixed it. Who the hell even negotiated that deal then. Lou is the GM. Why would he have that deal ready to go only to nix it. Doesn’t make sense

Reactions: Poster Unknown

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Agree in principle with all of this, except the last paragraph. If it takes trading a defenseman from the NHL roster for one of the big fish out there I think we have enough depth to spare on the blue line. Even if it means trusting Dobson.

I don't see them taking the risk, not with Dobson being so raw and Hickey being injured....perhaps that will change in the next month, but I just don't see it

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

Not so sure he would. Despite Ehlers filling a huge need for the top line, Pulock brings too much. Even looking at offensive production, Pulock is a 40 point player, Ehlers a 55-60 point player....

That discrepancy in points is outweighed by the fact that Pulock eats the hardest and the most minutes on the team and plays a more important position than Ehlers.

I feel Pulock has not reached his ceiling and barring a GM going totally Chia, I would not be interested in trading him.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Is it becoming time to worry a bit that Wahlstrom is the next dal colle/bellows. 3 goals in 27 games between the A/Nhl after an abysmal college season last year.

Starting to question this kid

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I don't see them taking the risk, not with Dobson being so raw and Hickey being injured....perhaps that will change in the next month, but I just don't see it
Depends on if we keep winning and if Leddy is more seriously injured than they are letting on. I get what you’re saying but if the offense continues to languish I can see Lou trading some defense assets.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Not so sure he would. Despite Ehlers filling a huge need for the top line, Pulock brings too much. Even looking at offensive production, Pulock is a 40 point player, Ehlers a 55-60 point player....

That discrepancy in points is outweighed by the fact that Pulock eats the hardest and the most minutes on the team and plays a more important position than Ehlers.

I feel Pulock has not reached his ceiling and barring a GM going totally Chia, I would not be interested in trading him.
agree wholeheartedly. just another example of fans wanting to make a trade just to make a trade. ware winning consistently based upon a team oriented system, even if we got ehlers for free we wouldnt and couldnt know if he wouldnt upset the applecart. major trades are best made during the offseason

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
what I don’t get about that story is he said Ledecky said there was a deal in place for Ehlers for Pulock but Lou nixed it. Who the hell even negotiated that deal then. Lou is the GM. Why would he have that deal ready to go only to nix it. Doesn’t make sense

I’m gonna guess that after several conversations, WPG made that the parameter of the deal and LL refused.

As it happens in all organizations, GMs must have some amount of meetings with ownership to keep them appraised in the “going-ons.”

The “deal in place,” may have merely been a report to ownership... of a possible deal that was also not accepted by the Isles.

Just a thought... :dunno:

Last edited:
Reactions: Shot of Bailey

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
From the latest NHL.com power rankings:

"4. New York Islanders (18-6-2)
Total points:
Last week: No. 3
Hit: The Islanders are 15-0-1 this season and 53-2-3 since the start of last season when they score at least three goals.
Miss: They are 3-6-1 when they do not score three goals this season."

Man if we could add a top line scorer who also fits Trotz's system...
The fact that we are 18-7-2 makes the split look really good, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that most teams have a better record when they score 3+ than when they score 2 or fewer.

Leafs, for example, are 12-5-3 when scoring 3 of more, and 2-8-1 when scoring 2 or fewer.

Not belittling our team, but just offering a bit of perspective.

Reactions: periferal

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
The fact that we are 18-7-2 makes the split look really good, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that most teams have a better record when they score 3+ than when they score 2 or fewer.

Leafs, for example, are 12-5-3 when scoring 3 of more, and 2-8-1 when scoring 2 or fewer.

Not belittling our team, but just offering a bit of perspective.

Make that 17-0-1 when we score 3 plus goals this season and 55-2-3 since the beginning of last year, since we just won two more and lost one since this ranking came out....

Granted all teams are better when they score 3 or more....but the elite teams do it way more often and are not near the winning percentage. We continue to be an elite scorer/playmaker away from the elite title contenders like Washington and Boston because of this...........

Reactions: periferal

Shot of Bailey

Apr 9, 2013
PEI, Canada
My feeling from the conversation was that Wpg had that offer on the table....he asked me what I would have done. After my response, he indicated that Lou had the final say and didn't want it. I then joked and said...don't you pay him. He laughed and said this team is in his hands. He also asked me what I thought of them bringing in Varly. I indicated to him that we Islanders fans were pretty sure we know why they did it.....and he laughed and said we know our hockey haha. Being from PEI, we talked about Dobson for a few seconds and he thought he was struggling a bit...being his first game (vs Edm) I said we should cut him a bit of slack.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Make that 17-0-1 when we score 3 plus goals this season and 55-2-3 since the beginning of last year, since we just won two more and lost one since this ranking came out....

Granted all teams are better when they score 3 or more....but the elite teams do it way more often and are not near the winning percentage. We continue to be an elite scorer/playmaker away from the elite title contenders like Washington and Boston because of this...........
Thanks for updating the numbers, but does that really change my point? Even a .500 team like the Leafs look good if you separate out the 3+ goal games.

I think it's just a weird way of saying we're a good team. And why is it a 'miss' that we are 3-6-1 when scoring 2 or fewer? Boston is 4-4-2, Washington is 3-3-2, St Louis is 2-6-5, Colorado is 0-7-1, and Philadelphia is 3-6-3 (those are the six best teams by point%).

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Thanks for updating the numbers, but does that really change my point? Even a .500 team like the Leafs look good if you separate out the 3+ goal games.

I think it's just a weird way of saying we're a good team. And why is it a 'miss' that we are 3-6-1 when scoring 2 or fewer? Boston is 4-4-2, Washington is 3-3-2, St Louis is 2-6-5, Colorado is 0-7-1, and Philadelphia is 3-6-3 (those are the six best teams by point%).

Too small a sample size for this season, so the bigger realization is from the beginning of last year when the Trotz-defense first way of playing took form:

Islanders 55-2-3 (60) and 13-32-6 (51)

I doubt any of the elite teams are even close to the .925 winning percentage when scoring 3 plus per game or have even remotely close to the 45.9% of games the last two years where they have failed to do so like we have.....so it isn't so much that our winning percentage when we don't is so awful (.314), but rather how often we don't score 3 plus and how successful we are <compared to others> when we do...........

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
My feeling from the conversation was that Wpg had that offer on the table....he asked me what I would have done. After my response, he indicated that Lou had the final say and didn't want it. I then joked and said...don't you pay him. He laughed and said this team is in his hands. He also asked me what I thought of them bringing in Varly. I indicated to him that we Islanders fans were pretty sure we know why they did it.....and he laughed and said we know our hockey haha. Being from PEI, we talked about Dobson for a few seconds and he thought he was struggling a bit...being his first game (vs Edm) I said we should cut him a bit of slack.

I'm very glad to see that Ledecky knows his place and lets Lou do his job unimpeded. A tampering owner is the express train to being a joke franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad