Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2019-20 Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
That can be handled over the summer. I doubt the 4th line comes back as is next year and either Clutter or Martin will be that savings. Can;t see Wahlstrom starting in Bridgeport next year and spots need to be opened on the wing.

Then that would eliminate any other signings for a top-line winger, like Hoffman or Hall

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Then that would eliminate any other signings for a top-line winger, like Hoffman or Hall

Not necessarily. Let's say you are interested in Hall. It's just like giving Panarin that money last year. It will require some cap moves over the upcoming summer to accommodate that new signing. You can still look at offering Ladd and a #1 for a low pick if that is what it takes. Or Dobson plays well and Leddy becomes expendable. There's options that can crop up over the summer.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Not necessarily. Let's say you are interested in Hall. It's just like giving Panarin that money last year. It will require some cap moves over the upcoming summer to accommodate that new signing. You can still look at offering Ladd and a #1 for a low pick if that is what it takes. Or Dobson plays well and Leddy becomes expendable. There's options that can crop up over the summer.

Bailey also has no trade protection and can be dealt at any time. Komarov's actual money owed will be less than his AAV which may become more appetizing to some teams too.

SI

Feb 16, 2013

just moving Ladd and Leddy won’t be enough. Komarov and Hickey would also have to be moved and the cap would have to grow to 84 or even 85.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Bailey also has no trade protection and can be dealt at any time. Komarov's actual money owed will be less than his AAV which may become more appetizing to some teams too.

Boychuk I believe would be most appealing for teams - 2 years and 6 a season with only 6 actual $ after July bonus is paid.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Is it becoming time to worry a bit that Wahlstrom is the next dal colle/bellows. 3 goals in 27 games between the A/Nhl after an abysmal college season last year.

Starting to question this kid
I know he had a bad college season, but I'm starting to question Thompson. Time for a change there IMO.

Reactions: Strait2thecup

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Anything new come out of that Q&A with Staple?

Ho-Sang isn't being traded for Hall and there's no word on him one way or the other.
Dobson, Wahlstrom, and maybe Sorokin are untouchables.
Thinks Martin and the Isles both know he fits in well here, he might re-sign for a year or two but that's purely speculation at this point.
Some players like the all black Brooklyn third jerseys.
He doesn't see the Isles letting Dobson play in the WJC.
Soderstrom is still rehabing.
Bossy is apparently unhappy with his job being taken away once Barclays took over.
Bardreau is skating with BPT, getting closer to a return. Fritz is out long term (I assume that means his time here is pretty much done).

That's about it for anything important, especially the black jerseys.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
- Doesn't see Isles as a legit player for Hall. Says they'll do the their due diligence, but ultimately walk away
- Doesn't see Dobson or Wahlstrom go to WJC
- Thinks Toffoli or Pageau are good fits
- Brassard may not be here for the long haul

That's what stood out to me.

Long haul being the end of the 19-20 season?

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I'm willing to trade for a player, but only under the absolute right conditions.

1) They must be young
2) They must not cost anything of significance in terms of trade (no draft picks, young players or anything good)
3) They must have years left on the contract OR agree to an extension before the trade
4) Their cap hit must be very low in compared to their production
5) They need to able to play elite defense as well as contribute elite offense
6) They need a stellar playoff resume, regardless of which shitty team they happened to be on when they were 20
7) Cannot be the subject of rumors, because it's like why are they getting rid of him unless he's TAINTED?
8) Not ever play video games, be late for practice, wear something funny, or eat a hot dog in public
9) Must be willing to bleed Orange and Blue cuz LGI

Also, I'm willing to wait until I see pigs fly until these conditions are met.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I don't put much stock into any Isles rumors with Lou at the helm, but I am bored and this guy has 3,000+ followers...

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

Except you're giving the money to a guy with 200 more games of mileage and injury history, plus someone who is supposedly not well liked in the locker room.

We never learn our lesson. All the UFA's signed around 28 fall off, I can't think of someone whose deal is actually consistent with their current performance as opposed to their resume. You gotta pay to play and I like what Taylor Hall brings but it is still a very risky move to throw big bucks at him before locking up Barzal+Beau+Pulock+Toews who IMO are the future.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
- Doesn't see Isles as a legit player for Hall. Says they'll do the their due diligence, but ultimately walk away

Not surprised here.

Would think the organization would send them to gain leadership experience and be "the man" on their respective teams.

Absolutely, JGP is probably a better fit than Toffoli, since Toffoli plays RW which is a position of strength for us with Eberle, Bailey in the top 6, can he play LW? He'd be a tremendous upgrade on MDC

This is a little cryptic. The guy is signed for 1 year, what is he alluding to, us moving him this year in a deal? What for? 17 points in 29 games is great for a reclamation project, also brings 100 games of playoff experience where he put up 60 points.

Reactions: Bill Herlyn

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

That's what stood out to me.
I’d stay away from Toffoli unless they get him for peanuts. Pageau would be a really good add and fill a big need. His price is way up.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Except you're giving the money to a guy with 200 more games of mileage and injury history, plus someone who is supposedly not well liked in the locker room.

We never learn our lesson. All the UFA's signed around 28 fall off, I can't think of someone whose deal is actually consistent with their current performance as opposed to their resume. You gotta pay to play and I like what Taylor Hall brings but it is still a very risky move to throw big bucks at him before locking up Barzal+Beau+Pulock+Toews who IMO are the future.

I'm using Hall as an example of a high salary, not him per se. Which is why I started with if we had signed Panarin.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I'm willing to trade for a player, but only under the absolute right conditions.

1) They must be young
2) They must not cost anything of significance in terms of trade (no draft picks, young players or anything good)
3) They must have years left on the contract OR agree to an extension before the trade
4) Their cap hit must be very low in compared to their production
5) They need to able to play elite defense as well as contribute elite offense
6) They need a stellar playoff resume, regardless of which ****ty team they happened to be on when they were 20
7) Cannot be the subject of rumors, because it's like why are they getting rid of him unless he's TAINTED?
8) Not ever play video games, be late for practice, wear something funny, or eat a hot dog in public
9) Must be willing to bleed Orange and Blue cuz LGI

Also, I'm willing to wait until I see pigs fly until these conditions are met.

Pigs flying, Hell freezing over and Hillary as Miss Universe would all come first

Reactions: Poster Unknown

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I’d stay away from Toffoli unless they get him for peanuts. Pageau would be a really good add and fill a big need. His price is way up.

What is with this fascination with Toffoli over the years? I never really got it with him yet he gets brought up every year by more than a few posters. He is not a difference maker.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
What is with this fascination with Toffoli over the years? I never really got it with him yet he gets brought up every year by more than a few posters. He is not a difference maker.

He seems attainable and it wouldn't cost a Kings Ransom IMO, pun intended.

He has cup experience and it's not like the Isles have been super deep with scoring depth the last few years. Just this season, it looks like they are finally getting some distributed scoring, but agreed, he isn't going to be Robin to Batman or Barzal for that matter.

If he could supplant MDC or Komarov, I think this is a better hockey team.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Is it becoming time to worry a bit that Wahlstrom is the next dal colle/bellows. 3 goals in 27 games between the A/Nhl after an abysmal college season last year.

Starting to question this kid

I would not worry - although he wasn’t on the scoresheet two games a go - he was named top star of the game. The team is shockingly bad.

I was very encouraged with what I saw on the NHL stage.

agree with another poster that Thompson needs to go.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
My feeling from the conversation was that Wpg had that offer on the table....he asked me what I would have done. After my response, he indicated that Lou had the final say and didn't want it. I then joked and said...don't you pay him. He laughed and said this team is in his hands. He also asked me what I thought of them bringing in Varly. I indicated to him that we Islanders fans were pretty sure we know why they did it.....and he laughed and said we know our hockey haha. Being from PEI, we talked about Dobson for a few seconds and he thought he was struggling a bit...being his first game (vs Edm) I said we should cut him a bit of slack.

I’m missing something with the Lehner comment. Can someone explain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad