Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2019-20 Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
This is a little cryptic. The guy is signed for 1 year, what is he alluding to, us moving him this year in a deal? What for? 17 points in 29 games is great for a reclamation project, also brings 100 games of playoff experience where he put up 60 points.

it does sound cryptic. I believe he just meant he won’t be here after this season.

I hope they have their sites higher than JPG and Toffoli. JPG price is sky high and Toffoli doesn’t do it IMO.

I also think JPG resigns in OTT.

after the holidays the picture may be clearer

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
it does sound cryptic. I believe he just meant he won’t be here after this season.

I hope they have their sites higher than JPG and Toffoli. JPG price is sky high and Toffoli doesn’t do it IMO.

I also think JPG resigns in OTT.

after the holidays the picture may be clearer

IMO they are looking for a long term solution as opposed to a stop gap. The MO thus far is finding savvy veterans (ie: Filpulla/Brassard) with some white collar skill and good reputation and giving them a chance. Obviously there's only so much you can get out of those type of players, although Eric Staal kind of fit that mold and has been strong in Minnesota.

I get Leo brings a lot for the locker room and plays D but that signing is still kind of baffling on many levels. He is not a regular in the lineup at this point and signed for 2.5 more seasons.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I would not worry - although he wasn’t on the scoresheet two games a go - he was named top star of the game. The team is shockingly bad.

I was very encouraged with what I saw on the NHL stage.

agree with another poster that Thompson needs to go.

I had the same take about Brent earlier in the season and it was laughed off but Bridgeport is pathetic

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Ho-Sang isn't being traded for Hall and there's no word on him one way or the other.
Dobson, Wahlstrom, and maybe Sorokin are untouchables.
Thinks Martin and the Isles both know he fits in well here, he might re-sign for a year or two but that's purely speculation at this point.
Some players like the all black Brooklyn third jerseys.
He doesn't see the Isles letting Dobson play in the WJC.
Soderstrom is still rehabing.
Bossy is apparently unhappy with his job being taken away once Barclays took over.
Bardreau is skating with BPT, getting closer to a return. Fritz is out long term (I assume that means his time here is pretty much done).

That's about it for anything important, especially the black jerseys.

Unless someone mentioned it and I missed, he also said he spoke with Ladd and that we should expect to hear something regarding him on Thursday.

I was thinking that might mean that he is hanging them up, but in a late response someone asked if he could see him replacing Leo, and (paraphrasing) staple thinks moving Leo would be last resort BT really likes him but LL is as cold blooded as they come when it comes to moves so would not rule it out.

Reactions: SI

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Unless someone mentioned it and I missed, he also said he spoke with Ladd and that we should expect to hear something regarding him on Thursday.

I was thinking that might mean that he is hanging them up, but in a late response someone asked if he could see him replacing Leo, and (paraphrasing) staple thinks moving Leo would be last resort BT really likes him but LL is as cold blooded as they come when it comes to moves so would not rule it out.

I took that as he's going to do a more in depth piece on Ladd, not that there is going to be breaking news about him.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
IMO they are looking for a long term solution as opposed to a stop gap. The MO thus far is finding savvy veterans (ie: Filpulla/Brassard) with some white collar skill and good reputation and giving them a chance. Obviously there's only so much you can get out of those type of players, although Eric Staal kind of fit that mold and has been strong in Minnesota.

I get Leo brings a lot for the locker room and plays D but that signing is still kind of baffling on many levels. He is not a regular in the lineup at this point and signed for 2.5 more seasons.

Agreed. Leo might be a buyout candidate this off season.

I would welcome a move for Staal. I don’t think Minny will move him and Lou is not giving up a #1 for him.

The same goes for Boone Jenner - what is his value?

right now I’m on Zajac train - He may not cost as much because of his Cap hit.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
- Doesn't see Isles as a legit player for Hall. Says they'll do the their due diligence, but ultimately walk away
- Doesn't see Dobson or Wahlstrom go to WJC
- Thinks Toffoli or Pageau are good fits
- Brassard may not be here for the long haul

That's what stood out to me.

Maybe it's because I have never been the biggest Eberle fan on the board, but I would rather have Brassard for the next 3-4 seasons then Eberle.

And I hope the isles stay far away from Pags. Let some other team badly over pay.

Reactions: CBG

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Agreed. Leo might be a buyout candidate this off season.

I would welcome a move for Staal. I don’t think Minny will move him and Lou is not giving up a #1 for him.

The same goes for Boone Jenner - what is his value?

right now I’m on Zajac train - He may not cost as much because of his Cap hit.

Komarov's base salary drops a little bit so he'd be more attractive in a trade for some teams. I'm hoping they can go that route instead of buying him out. His cap hit would go from $3M AAV to $2M, $1.6M, and then $600K for the remaining two years if he's bought out.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
In case anyone is paying attention, Filp is on track for about a -66 +/- this season.

Think he misses Trotz?

Analyzing any Red Wings' numbers is like trying to play Jenga on Titanic during it's last 20 minutes. That whole team is going down (probably on purpose with Yzerman now at the helm) so anyone on that team is going to look worse than they are if they were on another team.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I had the same take about Brent earlier in the season and it was laughed off but Bridgeport is pathetic

I said something similar a while back, but a poster was saying how the primary focus in BPORT is not winning, but rather player development. I assume Lou sees it that way because if not then there's no way to justify keeping Thompson.

And all that said, it's just shocking the results down there under Thompson. Each season it always feels like their record is worse than the talent they have - No matter how good or bad it is. I just can't imagine that LEARNING HOW TO WIN wouldn't benefit anyone and everyone who plays on such a team...And I cannot believe that there aren't other coaches out there who could both win and develop prospects better than Thompson has the last few years.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Komarov's base salary drops a little bit so he'd be more attractive in a trade for some teams. I'm hoping they can go that route instead of buying him out. His cap hit would go from $3M AAV to $2M, $1.6M, and then $600K for the remaining two years if he's bought out.

It's a 1M signing bonus that messes up the buyout. It might be best to trade and retain salary vs. buyout.

Back to the origins of this discussion - If Isles obtain someone with salary, like Zajac, then you hope that Komarov goes back the other way to offset the cap. So, a Zajac (5.75 AAV) for the pick or prospect that makes the deal happen and Komarov (3 AAV)

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It's a 1M signing bonus that messes up the buyout. It might be best to even trade and retain salary vs. buyout.

Back to the origins of this discussion - If Isles obtain someone with salary, like Zajac, then you hope that Komarov goes back the other way to offset the cap. So, a Zajac (5.75 AAV) for the pick or prospect that makes the deal happen and Komarov (3 AAV)

I'd take Zajac if they retained $1.75M and took Komarov. My preference is to find a long term solution for that spot instead of band aids like Filppula, Brassard, and Zajac over and over again though.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I'd take Zajac if they retained $1.75M and took Komarov. My preference is to find a long term solution for that spot instead of band aids like Filppula, Brassard, and Zajac over and over again though.

The plan is for Koivula to be ready to take over at some point in 20/21 or even 21/22, right?

If they don't acquire a 3C for next year and they don't believe Koivula is the answer, then Pageau (if he doesn't resign) or Erik Haula should be the target this offseason.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The plan is for Koivula to be ready to take over at some point in 20/21 or even 21/22, right?

If they don't acquire a 3C for next year and they don't believe Koivula is the answer, then Pageau (if he doesn't resign) or Erik Haula should be the target this offseason.

You're right about that probably being the plan, but we've all seen this story before. Remember when Strome was going to bump Nielsen down? Or how about when Nelson was going to be a good 3C? Or how about when Dal Colle was going to be a sniper? Or that time Bellows was definitely going to be better than Dal Colle? Or when Wahlstrom was definitely going to be better than Bellows and Dal Colle? I know you're not suggesting we have to wait, but I think if there's an opportunity to address the issue now and for the foreseeable future we should make that move. Unless they're certain Koivula will be ready and better than what we're going to get from another option I want that situation addressed.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Remember when Strome was going to bump Nielsen down? Or how about when Nelson was going to be a good 3C? Or how about when Dal Colle was going to be a sniper? Or that time Bellows was definitely going to be better than Dal Colle? Or when Wahlstrom was definitely going to be better than Bellows and Dal Colle?
image.jpeg

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
You're right about that probably being the plan, but we've all seen this story before. Remember when Strome was going to bump Nielsen down? Or how about when Nelson was going to be a good 3C? Or how about when Dal Colle was going to be a sniper? Or that time Bellows was definitely going to be better than Dal Colle? Or when Wahlstrom was definitely going to be better than Bellows and Dal Colle? I know you're not suggesting we have to wait, but I think if there's an opportunity to address the issue now and for the foreseeable future we should make that move. Unless they're certain Koivula will be ready and better than what we're going to get from another option I want that situation addressed.

Well, Nelson turned into a pretty good 2C....

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Well, Nelson turned into a pretty good 2C....

Absolutely, and I have no complaints about what he's become. How long did it take for him to get there? He and Brassard both struggle when getting less minutes and are better suited in the top six than the bottom six. I don't want the same sort of thing to happen again with Koivula or someone else. We wait around for them to fill the void, wasting valuable years and time, and then it doesn't work. Address the issue now and use Koivula for something else if he turns out that good or move another piece. This team is one of the best teams in the NHL for the second straight year and we're going to squander some prime years of productivity from guys like Nelson, Bailey, Eberle, and Lee if they don't sure up some of our holes.

Reactions: Finnislander

SI

Feb 16, 2013

You forgot Donovan replacing Visnovsky

I agree - long term solution here would be trading for and then signing someone like Pageau long term. ;);)

I am not sure I would want to promote giving up considerable assets and then pay JPG between 4-5 aav a season.

I like Zajac or Turris route for the reason of offsetting our own bad contracts as well as the price of acquiring would be less.

Zajac only has 1 season after this, so that gives the team another off season and season to evaluate Koivula.

Turris has 4 so that type of commitment is a bit high, but if Turris, 30, rights the ship under Trotz he would not be a band aid.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS

far more interesting was this nugget:
7. There are reports out of Russia that CSKA Moscow is trying to extend Islanders goalie prospect Ilya Sorokin. Tough to say if this is legit or a negotiating tactic, but he will be 25 in August. If the extension is at least three years, he becomes an unrestricted free agent in North America.

Reactions: SteveH124

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
You forgot Donovan replacing Visnovsky

I agree - long term solution here would be trading for and then signing someone like Pageau long term. ;);)

I am not sure I would want to promote giving up considerable assets and then pay JPG between 4-5 aav a season.

I like Zajac or Turris route for the reason of offsetting our own bad contracts as well as the price of acquiring would be less.

Zajac only has 1 season after this, so that gives the team another off season and season to evaluate Koivula.

Turris has 4 so that type of commitment is a bit high, but if Turris, 30, rights the ship under Trotz he would not be a band aid.

I'm on board with any of those honestly, depending on the cost. They're all legitimate third line centers and can help this team. Like you, I'm not on board with emptying the cupboards for someone like Pageau though. I'd prefer to go for someone younger who can be a mainstay for a long time, that's why I brought up Jenner a few days ago after playing Columbus. He's 26, is an RFA, wins faceoffs, can play a grinding game, and puts up a reasonable amount of points. Nothing flashy, solves a problem the team has and then they can spend on getting a top six impact forward if they want to with remaining assets and don't need to be as worried about hording players like Koivula.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad