Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2019-20 Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Filppula wasn't a difference maker last year, is signed for another year and has a NMC. No thanks. Go for Boone Jenner if he's available.

I would think Columbus is more interested in dumping Wennberg and his $5m per. A few seasons ago, they gave him a pretty nice contract expecting he would develop into a 2nd liner. His offense has never come around and he is now a defensively responsible, 3rd/4th liner who brings little offense to the table.

Reactions: 72hockey guy

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I asked Columbus fans about Jenner/Wennberg.
They are not sure if Jenner would be available or the cost.
A few would drive Wennberg to the airport if it meant dumping him. His play is described as timid and inconsistent, while making $4.9m per. It will be interesting to see if he gets bought out.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Nielsen is done, he was completely ineffective against Washington years ago I can't imagine it will be any better this time around in a system that value's playing "heavy" more than before.

I just don't know if I see Koivu or Staal waiving unless it's for like a Boston type team. Zajac I guess could be interested because if I remember correctly is was a deal Lou signed and he seems to fit that mold of your prototypical 3C, but I think there would have be some retention.

To be fair, he was playing injured against Washington. He DOES absolutely have trouble with a heavier game.

I’m not under any illusions that he is the player he used to be. I would only hope that he can be rejuvenated to be a useful enough player to be an improvement on Ladd.

Ultimately, it’s his shorter term and his more buyout friendly contract that I’m preferring over Ladd.

This deal is for longer-term flexibility with a hopeful shorter term marginal improvement.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I asked Columbus fans about Jenner/Wennberg.
They are not sure if Jenner would be available or the cost.
A few would drive Wennberg to the airport if it meant dumping him. His play is described as timid and inconsistent, while making $4.9m per. It will be interesting to see if he gets bought out.

I don't want Wennberg because of that cap hit and because he isn't good at faceoffs.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Nielsen is done.

Maybe try to reacquire Filppula.

Also, Athanasiou is a -33 and his advanced stats are atrocious 58% O-zone starts and a corsi of like 46% - that sucks!
He has been a bit snake bitten - his PDO is like 83% - which is crazy unlucky.

I like the kid's speed, shot, and skills, but these #’s mentioned earlier and his contract negotiation history do raise some red flags.

I would consider a Filppula and Athanasiou trade as long as it didn't mean Dobson, Wilde, Wahlstrom, and Holmstrom.

Does a 2020 #1, Aho, Bellows or Dal Colle, prospect Bolduc, and 2021 2nd work for Filppula and Athanasiou?

I don’t think Flip is much better than Nielsen. Statistically he may be producing more. But neither really moves the needle much.

Again, my interest in Nielsen is strictly with the hope that a return inspires him to be a useful enough player for the reminder of the year.

Ultimately, it’s really just about getting one year closer to removing Ladd’s contract. No deal for Nielsen is acceptable without Ladd going the other way.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
seem to me that all these trade ideas are just trades made for trades sake, nobody wants ladd and the devils arent trading Zajac for our bad contracts. lou isnt making a trade that makes us worse in the future just to quiet down the whiny children in the monkey seats, if he makes any move it will be a thoughtful and considered move that few of us will understand but which will end up reaffirming that he and Trotz understand the makeup of this team much better than we do

Reactions: MartyC

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
seem to me that all these trade ideas are just trades made for trades sake, nobody wants ladd and the devils arent trading Zajac for our bad contracts. lou isnt making a trade that makes us worse in the future just to quiet down the whiny children in the monkey seats, if he makes any move it will be a thoughtful and considered move that few of us will understand but which will end up reaffirming that he and Trotz understand the makeup of this team much better than we do

Yeah, acquiring a 3rd line center isn't a need at all for this team. :huh::help::facepalm:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, acquiring a 3rd line center isn't a need at all for this team. :huh::help::facepalm:

who says YOU. . face it PK you do this every season, youre specifically one of those people im talking about. one of the know nothings who every year says the time is now,

tell us all what are your credentials to say you know better than Trotz or Lou Lamouriello?

what makes THIS YEAR any more important than any other year? you never have an answer for that but every year you come back with the same old whine

you do realize that only one team wins the cup every year right?

talk to piferal, hes a wise man. he once told me he was like that too once, but upon becoming a father (and wondering what kind of father hed be) did some deep soul searching..... I can tell you piferal is a great dad, and I knew he would be, because he looked inside himself first and he has patience and the desire to be a good one

it takes the same kind of patience and desire to build a good team, there are no shortcuts. it takes hard work. some people understand that and some people dont

and Pif I hope you dont mind me using you as an example, but I do because youre a fine one

Last edited by a moderator:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
who says YOU. . face it PK you do this every season, youre specifically one of those people im talking about. one of the know nothings who every year says the time is now,

tell us all what are your credentials to say you know better than Trotz or Lou Lamouriello?

what makes THIS YEAR any more important than any other year? you never have an answer for that but every year you come back with the same old whine

talk to piferal, hes a wise man. he once told me he was like that too once, but upon becoming a father (and wondering what kind of father hed be) did some deep soul searching..... I can tell you piferal is a great dad, and I knew he would be, because he looked inside himself first and he has patience and the desire to be a good one

it takes the same kind of patience and desire to build a good team, there are no shortcuts. it takes hard work. some people understand that and some people dont

and Pif I hope you dont mind me using you as an example, but I do because youre a fine one

Ya got me!

Reactions: seafoam

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
But u wont give up a 2nd rounder for THall??

Talk about simplifying an argument. Let me retort by keeping it simple for you...I'm not trading any significant assets for not even 1 full year of any player.

*And I WOULD trade a 2nd for Hall, but that's not getting him so let's not play dumb here.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015

What the f***?

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
tater all im saying is that none of us including me is qualified to be a GM and if we are honest about it pretty much everyone on this board were certain wed be a bottom feeder when tavares left and lou brought in Kovorov martin and Kuhnacl. I readily admit I expected a bottom 5 finish, i think there were only one or two people who said hey get down from the ledge we have a great coach and a proven Gm. and you know what they were right.

it makes no sense for us to question them because 1) we dont know what they know. and 2) even if we did, are any of us even remotely qualified to make those decisions if we had the Authority

look everyone likes to play GM but wisdom comes with knowing when youre not equipped to do something. We go to REAL doctors when we are sick dont we? not go to someone who "plays one on tv" why do we do that if we dont inherently understand that its foolish and could have severe consequences.

Im just saying that the moment you start going down that road thinking we know better than the people who are actually qualified to make these types of decisions you join Mike Milbury in his delusions of grandeur

we all want to win and thats fine. but. it has to be done with a stable and intelligent framework, my personal opinion is that Mr Lamouriello is targeting the opening of the new arena for his big push and will handle any other big acquisitions on a case by case basis, this past offseason he went after Panarin before resigning Lee and Nelson so he obviously has a plan, so im just suggesting we trust him to know what hes doing,we did way better than any of us thought last year, and so far we are ahead of our pace this year. so why not just enjoy it and leave the decisions to those qualified to make them

Reactions: Poster Unknown

broncs918

Mar 26, 2009
The majority of playoff teams make a move at the deadline, even if it is just a minor one. You should look at impactful trades instead of just any trade, and does a trade in November count?
Last year after getting ousted it was obvious we needed more scoring,we didn’t acquire anything over the off season . In fact LL hasn’t made a meaningful trade since he has been here so don’t expect anything this time around.

Shot of Bailey

Apr 9, 2013
PEI, Canada
I think for argument sake we can all agree Lou is clearly looking to make a big deal. He has a history for it when he thinks his team is close. He tried hard this summer and missed and I'm guessing when Dallas was struggling early, they received a call about Benn. When I was at the 3rd game of this season, I had a great chat with Ledecky and I said to him, whatever you do, don't let what happened to Tavares happen to Barzal. Find him a legit winger that can help drive the line and someone Barzal can be excited about playing with for years. His response...we had a trade in place for Ehlers for Pulock. He said Lou makes the final decision and in the end said no. With Trotz's comments about needing more scoring, Lou's attempts.....I think PK will get his wish of something sooner then later.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Now that Minnesota has surged in the last few weeks they may hold onto their vets like Staal and Koivu.

Zajac is an interesting choice here, but @ 5.75 CAP hit next season my hope would be that Komarov (or Hickey) go back in return.

Devils do not have a 2nd or 3rd in 2020, so they may look to get back one those picks...
Does a 2020 3rd and Komarov for Zajac work? Does a prospect need to be added? Or does the 3rd need to be a 2nd to make it work?

For us it does, but not for them.

A 2nd and Bellows might be the better offer. Or if we want to dump Komarov it would take a 2nd and a 3rd but I doubt LL or BT want to trade Leo now.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
There is a difference in “going for it” and simply filling a team need.

They need someone who can center a “Trotz” third line. That’s not Bardreau, Brassard, Koivula, Komarov, etc. FWIW, I believe his 3C in Washington was Eller, so someone who some size who can play a reliable neutral zone game and execute details.

Shot of Bailey

Apr 9, 2013
PEI, Canada
There is a difference in “going for it” and simply filling a team need.

They need someone who can center a “Trotz” third line. That’s not Bardreau, Brassard, Koivula, Komarov, etc. FWIW, I believe his 3C in Washington was Eller, so someone who some size who can play a reliable neutral zone game and execute details.
Why not get a legit #1 winger and move bailey to 3C

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Still too early to know exactly who is going to be available. Yes, I think we need a winger and a 3C- preferably. Barzal needs a sniper and we need a 3C which will allow both Brassard and Bailey to remain on the wings. We have got to have someone who can direct the pivot on Lee's line and shoots more...

As for teams, right now these are the closest to being sellers:

Detroit (17 points out of playoff spot)
New Jersey (-11)
LA Kings (-10)
Ottawa (-9)
Columbus (-8)
Anaheim (-6)

Six teams, and even putting the Ducks on there is a little of a reach since the West is so open (12 points separate 1-13)....there is likely to be as many as 5-6 more teams out of it by the deadline (leaving 19-20 fighting for the 16 spots)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad