Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Duchene or Panarin, who would you rather pursue. The 2C is a huge need, Duchene would fill that instantly and slot nicely behind Barz. He’s also responsible defensively.

Panarin is an elite talent that doesn’t often make it to free agency. He would instantly upgrade the offense, give Barz protection, and possibly form a deadly combo w Barzal.

I’m torn, but I think I go w Panarin. Can’t pass up the opportunity to add an elite talent. Let the 2C work itself out.

I think the best player is Panarin but the right player for this team is Duchene. Personally I feel in order to build a winner this team needs the following:

A)strength down the middle
B)solid D core
C)top ten goalie

With what these team currently has as their top 6 wingers and what is in the system(Bellows, JHS, Wahlstrom) they can plug and play when cap issues arise and keep developing wingers as they move forward. Good, dependable centers are far and few between. Duchene will put up 60-70 points a season, provide excellent two way play, and is phenomenal in the dot. He just provides so much more than what a scoring winger provides.

We need to keep in mind that while someone may light up a scoreboard it's their play in the neutral and defensive zone that wins the majority of the games. Structure not flash will turn this team into a winner.

I want to say they should sign Bobrovsky. But I'm going to withhold judgement of that till game 65-70. If a reformed Lehner looks to be the real deal I keep him around.

Last edited:
Reactions: ndgolden

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/shanahan-we-re-asking-young-leaders-to-make-room-for-each-other~1504783

Looks like what I said was going to happen is happening... They’re gonna have to dump at least one of Nylander/Marner if they want to sign Matthews to a competitive deal aka McDavid+ money.

This is the year Toronto's got to win the Cup. Matthews and Marner are still on their ELCs, so they have the cap space to keep them around. After this season, they're going to have to get real creative to not only re-sign everyone, but to also have room left to fill some holes on defense.

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
This is the year Toronto's got to win the Cup. Matthews and Marner are still on their ELCs, so they have the cap space to keep them around. After this season, they're going to have to get real creative to not only re-sign everyone, but to also have room left to fill some holes on defense.

It’s only 5 games, but they’ll need to clamp down on the GAA if they’re going to be serious contenders imho.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
If only they hadn't spent $11M in cap space on a vanity move to add scoring to a team that didn't need help in that department. Oh well ....

Reactions: BTrotts19

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Just before CDH signed with Carolina, press reported up to 10 teams were pushing for him and that Tavares called,making a pitch for him to accept the leafs team friendly $3.5m per deal.

I could see older vets who have made a ton of $ accepting such an offer,but think it less likely a guy looking for the security of a his first big payday accepts.

Gotta be tough to leave millions on the table when careers can be so short.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/shanahan-we-re-asking-young-leaders-to-make-room-for-each-other~1504783

Looks like what I said was going to happen is happening... They’re gonna have to dump at least one of Nylander/Marner if they want to sign Matthews to a competitive deal aka McDavid+ money.

I find it amusing that Shanahan of all people is preaching about taking less money for the good of the team, pretty hypocritical when he did not do that himself during his playing career.

Reactions: Ho Sang Clan

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Just before CDH signed with Carolina, press reported up to 10 teams were pushing for him and that Tavares called,making a pitch for him to accept the leafs team friendly $3.5m per deal.

I could see older vets who have made a ton of $ accepting such an offer,but think it less likely a guy looking for the security of a his first big payday accepts.

Gotta be tough to leave millions on the table when careers can be so short.

They need a top pairing RHD more than anything. They're fine on the left side with Rielly, Gardiner and Dermott. But I'm not sure a top four on the right of 80 year old Hainsey and Zaitsev is good enough to win a Cup with.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
They need a top pairing RHD more than anything. They're fine on the left side with Rielly, Gardiner and Dermott. But I'm not sure a top four on the right of 80 year old Hainsey and Zaitsev is good enough to win a Cup with.

They better win it this year. Gardner isn't coming back because he's going to get paid handsomely, Mathews and and will demand 15.9 aav and be worth it as well as Marner is going to demand over 10.

They have RFA's that can actually go out and get what they are worth because 4 first round picks are meaningless when compared to those players.

One of those guys or 4 max domi's. Take your pick.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Do we really need to decide between Panarin and Duchene? If we let Eberle walk (or trade him at the deadline), I think we have enough cap room to sign Lee, Panarin and Duchene (provided Duchene doesn't go completely nuts next year).

It would give us a pretty loaded group of forwards if some of our prospects pan out for us. It only make sense to do this if our D takes a very big step forward this year under Trotz (i.e., Pulock looking like a legit top 2, Toews a top 4, etc.).

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
It’s only 5 games, but they’ll need to clamp down on the GAA if they’re going to be serious contenders imho.

Their team defense is maybe a step above what the Isles had last year and Andersen is at best a league average starting goaltender. Unless he has a substantial progression, behind that defense I can't see them getting past Tampa in the Atlantic.

Reactions: Flair19Woo

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I think the best player is Panarin but the right player for this team is Duchene. Personally I feel in order to build a winner this team needs the following:

A)strength down the middle
B)solid D core
C)top ten goalie

With what these team currently has as their top 6 wingers and what is in the system(Bellows, JHS, Wahlstrom) they can plug and play when cap issues arise and keep developing wingers as they move forward. Good, dependable centers are far and few between. Duchene will put up 60-70 points a season, provide excellent two way play, and is phenomenal in the dot. He just provides so much more than what a scoring winger provides.

We need to keep in mind that while someone may light up a scoreboard it's their play in the neutral and defensive zone that wins the majority of the games. Structure not flash will turn this team into a winner.

I want to say they should sign Bobrovsky. But I'm going to withhold judgement of that till game 65-70. If a reformed Lehner looks to be the real deal I keep him around.

IMO this team is to far away from competing to worry about which of Duchene/Panarin would fit better. We need to pursue both, and hope we get fortunate enough to land one of them.

If I had my choice I would pick Panarin, he's the better player, and he is a player that looks like he has a lot of very good years left in him. Can you imagine a Barzal-Panarin line. Good god the other team wouldn't touch the puck.

We also have to see how this year plays out. Maybe the hockey Gods gift us Hughes, it would only be right after pajama boy left.

2019-2020 isles led by Barzal, Hughes, Panarin

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Duchene's the bigger need (ie. 2C), but Panarin is by far the better player. So what is more important? Adding a 2C or adding an elite winger?

Reactions: SI90

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
IMO this team is to far away from competing to worry about which of Duchene/Panarin would fit better. We need to pursue both, and hope we get fortunate enough to land one of them.

If I had my choice I would pick Panarin, he's the better player, and he is a player that looks like he has a lot of very good years left in him. Can you imagine a Barzal-Panarin line. Good god the other team wouldn't touch the puck.

We also have to see how this year plays out. Maybe the hockey Gods gift us Hughes, it would only be right after pajama boy left.

2019-2020 isles led by Barzal, Hughes, Panarin

Barzal/Panarin would be magic. I totally agree.

But then what happens to line 2? You become a one line team ultimately.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Barzal/Panarin would be magic. I totally agree.

But then what happens to line 2? You become a one line team ultimately.

There is going to be a lot of retooling over the next 2-3 years. The #2 center is definitely a big missing piece right now, but we have a lot of assets that we can trade to address it when the time is right. I just think 90% of the time you go BPA, the other 10% of the time is reserved for teams to make adjustments when they are at the top of the league.

It's going to be a very interesting year, Lou has a lot of directions he could go. I think he's going to trade some of our pending ufas, and make big adjustments next offseason.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
There is going to be a lot of retooling over the next 2-3 years. The #2 center is definitely a big missing piece right now, but we have a lot of assets that we can trade to address it when the time is right. I just think 90% of the time you go BPA, the other 10% of the time is reserved for teams to make adjustments when they are at the top of the league.

It's going to be a very interesting year, Lou has a lot of directions he could go. I think he's going to trade some of our pending ufas, and make big adjustments next offseason.

Totally agree. That's why I would hope Lou solidifies the Center position. Wings will come and go but as long as your good down the middle it keeps the team in the playoffs at minimum.

Reactions: PWJunior

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Duchene's the bigger need (ie. 2C), but Panarin is by far the better player. So what is more important? Adding a 2C or adding an elite winger?

Porque not both?

Duchene gets the money that Eberle will free up and Panarin gets the money that Tavares would have got and probably slightly less.

There will be a bidding war for Panarin and even though he’s a winger I can see someone paying him 10milAAV

It sucks I don’t really see any big time Defensman available Because aside from a #2 Center, the defense really needs an injection of talent in the top 4.

Boychuck is a warrior but he’s not a top4 anymore and can’t stay healthy. He’s paid a lot.

Leddy and Pulock are the only top4 Defensman we have imo.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Looking at potential UFAs to fill the #2C slot, anybody know anything about that Nelson guy?

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Porque not both?

Duchene gets the money that Eberle will free up and Panarin gets the money that Tavares would have got and probably slightly less.

There will be a bidding war for Panarin and even though he’s a winger I can see someone paying him 10milAAV

It sucks I don’t really see any big time Defensman available Because aside from a #2 Center, the defense really needs an injection of talent in the top 4.

Boychuck is a warrior but he’s not a top4 anymore and can’t stay healthy. He’s paid a lot.

Leddy and Pulock are the only top4 Defensman we have imo.

The problem is that signing both leaves very little cap space to upgrade the D and sign Barzal/Pulock the following summer. It's not insurmountable, but it would limit the options, so it's not necessarily a no-brainer to sign both (and that's even assuming we could), especially considering that signing UFAs tends to require an overpayment.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The problem is that signing both leaves very little cap space to upgrade the D and sign Barzal/Pulock the following summer. It's not insurmountable, but it would limit the options, so it's not necessarily a no-brainer to sign both (and that's even assuming we could), especially considering that signing UFAs tends to require an overpayment.

I don’t disagree. The Ladd and Boychuck contracts hurt. Also, Lee is in line for a payday.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Panarin at 10 per and Duchene at 7 per might be too much for too long

I could see Staal (on a shorter deal) and Panarin with the Isles drafting a C or two that eventually takes over the 2C when Staal's deal goes away.

Otherwise - sign Duchene and let the kids battle it out - Ho-Sang, wahlstrom, Bellows, Dal Colle or Golyshev.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
Panarin can anchor his own line, I don't know if I would put him with Barzal.

Completely agree with this. The big problem with our 2nd line right now is that you don't have someone that's great at entering the zone. Traditionally that's a responsibility that largely falls on the center but Panarin is so good at zone entries that he completely drives his own line. I'd be willing to spend big on Panarin, he absolutely makes this a better team than Duchene does. No comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad