Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Totally agree. That's why I would hope Lou solidifies the Center position. Wings will come and go but as long as your good down the middle it keeps the team in the playoffs at minimum.

In general I agree, but in the case of Panarin vs Duchene I pick Panarin every time. It's much easier to acquire a good second line center than a game breaking allstar winger.

Reactions: IODCPiper

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
In general I agree, but in the case of Panarin vs Duchene I pick Panarin every time. It's much easier to acquire a good second line center than a game breaking allstar winger.
Panarin would be a HUGE upgrade on Beauvillier, who by the way has zero points through three games playing with Barzal.
I would love to see a Panarin - Barzal - Eberle first line.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I think the best player is Panarin but the right player for this team is Duchene. Personally I feel in order to build a winner this team needs the following:

A)strength down the middle
B)solid D core
C)top ten goalie

With what these team currently has as their top 6 wingers and what is in the system(Bellows, JHS, Wahlstrom) they can plug and play when cap issues arise and keep developing wingers as they move forward. Good, dependable centers are far and few between. Duchene will put up 60-70 points a season, provide excellent two way play, and is phenomenal in the dot. He just provides so much more than what a scoring winger provides.

We need to keep in mind that while someone may light up a scoreboard it's their play in the neutral and defensive zone that wins the majority of the games. Structure not flash will turn this team into a winner.

I want to say they should sign Bobrovsky. But I'm going to withhold judgement of that till game 65-70. If a reformed Lehner looks to be the real deal I keep him around.

I hear you on your argument for Duchene; valid points. Though it should be noted that Panarin is very good at causing turnovers in the D and neutral zones. He’s also among the elite in clean zone exits, mitigating turnovers and scoring chances against.

Last edited:

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Porque not both?

Duchene gets the money that Eberle will free up and Panarin gets the money that Tavares would have got and probably slightly less.

There will be a bidding war for Panarin and even though he’s a winger I can see someone paying him 10milAAV

It sucks I don’t really see any big time Defensman available Because aside from a #2 Center, the defense really needs an injection of talent in the top 4.

Boychuck is a warrior but he’s not a top4 anymore and can’t stay healthy. He’s paid a lot.

Leddy and Pulock are the only top4 Defensman we have imo.

Realistically we only sign one, a) it’s the Islanders, b) need space for D and G upgrades.

Reactions: SI90

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
God, I really want Panarin. I really think he'd fill the void that Tray-toor left for us, and potentially make a bigger impact. He would be incredible for this team, and I think Lou should go all in for him.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Who do we stand to lose at the next expansion draft? I am thinking this might be the reason why we signed a bunch of players to long term cheap contracts. To make them more attractive to expansion teams....Which players are going to be exposed? Could ths be the reason we've been holding back on bringing up new players?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
God, I really want Panarin. I really think he'd fill the void that Tray-toor left for us, and potentially make a bigger impact. He would be incredible for this team, and I think Lou should go all in for him.
The further we get into the season, the less likely we are to see Panarin sign imo.
Why not test the market at this point? Let the beggers...er teams, line up and make their sales pitches :popcorn:

Reactions: Ho Sang Clan

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Who do we stand to lose at the next expansion draft? I am thinking this might be the reason why we signed a bunch of players to long term cheap contracts. To make them more attractive to expansion teams....Which players are going to be exposed? Could ths be the reason we've been holding back on bringing up new players?

Given we won't have to protect Ladd or Boychuk we should be on easy street who we lose. My guess is we do the 7-3 model and leave one of our defense exposed(Leddy-Pulock-???)

Reactions: Macch and PWJunior

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Given we won't have to protect Ladd or Boychuk we should be on easy street who we lose. My guess is we do the 7-3 model and leave one of our defense exposed(Leddy-Pulock-???)

Going the 7-3 method would help free up a contract and roster spot on the blue line, that would definitely ease the long term log jam that we currently have. If Toews emerges, he likely gets that 3rd spot. Unlike Snow who had to cow tow and kiss the ring, Lou doesn't play that game. We are very well positioned, we can sit back and watch the carnage elsewhere.

Another thing to consider is the possibility of a new round of compliance buyouts in the new CBA. If it's 2 like last time, getting Ladd and Boychuk off the books is a gamechanger for us. Even if it's 1, getting one of their contracts erased is a big deal. It may be a lot of money for Malkin to lay out, but I have complete faith he'd ok the moves.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Another thing to consider is the possibility of a new round of compliance buyouts in the new CBA. If it's 2 like last time, getting Ladd and Boychuk off the books is a gamechanger for us. Even if it's 1, getting one of their contracts erased is a big deal. It may be a lot of money for Malkin to lay out, but I have complete faith he'd ok the moves.

As long as Boychuk remains useful(albeit overpaid) I don't see us buying him out given the makeup of our defense. That being said he will be an easy person not to protect since chances of losing him will be 0

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Yes, I think all the NMC/NYC players can waive it to enter the expansion draft. I seriously doubt they'd be grabbed. I think Vegas stands to lose a lot, but we have quite a few players that they can take and we wouldn't really feel a loss. We'd most likely lose a Dman since we have so many. What's the pre-requisite for that? Are ELC players still vulnerable? I think we protect Barzal, Bailey, Lee, Beau, Ladd (unless he waives and if he waives, then maybe Zeeker), Pulock, Leddy, Toews? If we keep Eberle, then we might have to lose someone BUT we can also trade for futures to avoid it.

We don't need to protect a goalie...I don't think we'll have a goalie worth to protect by then.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Yes, I think all the NMC/NYC players can waive it to enter the expansion draft. I seriously doubt they'd be grabbed. I think Vegas stands to lose a lot, but we have quite a few players that they can take and we wouldn't really feel a loss. We'd most likely lose a Dman since we have so many. What's the pre-requisite for that? Are ELC players still vulnerable? I think we protect Barzal, Bailey, Lee, Beau, Ladd (unless he waives and if he waives, then maybe Zeeker), Pulock, Leddy, Toews? If we keep Eberle, then we might have to lose someone BUT we can also trade for futures to avoid it.

We don't need to protect a goalie...I don't think we'll have a goalie worth to protect by then.

NMC have to be protected, NTC(limited or not) don't have to be. I believe Both Boychuk and Ladd's contract entered the NTC part this summer.

In terms of who we have to protect. Anybody who has played pro 2 years or less don't need protecting, 3 years or more will need protecting. In a hypothetical situation somebody like Mitch Vande Sompel would need protecting since that would be his 3rd professional year(not saying he will be picked but just using him as an example of a 3rd year player who let's say gets better and better as each season goes by might be an attractive pickup for an expansion team)

In terms of forwards it's hard predicting who will be protected with all teh UFAs we have this summer but one can assume Barzel, Beauvillier and Bailey would be the obvious picks. Whatever UFAs(our own or other UFAs) we sign this summer would probably be protected and maybe Ho Sang. Bellow I believe will have only played 2 years before the next expansion so we wouldn't need to protect him

Last edited:

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
JHS is what he is, a mediocre minor league player.

That is sad to hear. I enjoyed the 2 brief stints he had with the big club. I view him as our second most explosive piece after Starzal.
I am still hopefull he wears the Isles sweater for a long time .

Reactions: SI90

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Duchene's the bigger need (ie. 2C), but Panarin is by far the better player. So what is more important? Adding a 2C or adding an elite winger?

If you add Duchene you can draft Broberg this year instead of a #2C. Overall that makes the team more dynamic going forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad