Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Isles fans. Here is something that is interesting and popped into my mind today when I read Friedman's 31 thoughts. I recall Darren Dreger of TSN inferring a rival GM(And I am pretty sure he was referring to Lou) may offer sheet Marner next year if he is going through what Nylander is currently going through contract wise

We already know John Tavares is at $11 million, so if the Maple Leafs want to stay at 45 per cent, they have between $36.6 million (low end) and $38.4 million (high end) for Matthews, Mitchell Marner and William Nylander. Matthews is going to come in above Tavares, and Marner will wait to see what he signs for. It’s a tight, tight squeeze.

31 Thoughts: NHL embracing new era of fun, personality - Sportsnet.ca

The Leafs may be in salary trouble next summer to hit the 45% committed mark on Marner, Matthews, Nylander and Judas.

Does Lou try to stiff the Leafs and offer Marner 10.148,302M x 5 years? Is he worth 2 firsts, a second, and third? The Isles have all of their picks beyond 2020 last I checked.

Something to keep in the back of the mind.:laugh:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I’d def prefer Marner over Nylander but I would give up the picks honestly. I don’t think we’re in a position to do that. If he was a UFA like Pajama Boy was I’d say go ahead but we really need to focus on defense imo. I think we’re pretty strong up front and have a couple of blue chip forwards in Bellows and Wahlstrom and depending on how you view him Ho-Sang.

Defensively we have a lot of depth but after Toews and Dobson I don’t know if anyone is a safe bet. Wilde has all the tools but he’s raw and need a lot of development.

A top end winger is a luxury for us at this point. If it was a young center that could play behind Barzal I’d say go for it.

I say for now if none of that presents itself hold onto the assets.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If offering Marner 10.1 x 5 years is what it takes to get him. I would do it if I were Lou. If one proposed to me trading Judas for Marner this summer. I would have gone with the younger player. If anything I can see Lou smiling with making this offer sheet.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
BTW, these trade discussions don't account for Gubas promising PJB that he would keep the core intact. And I'm sure Dumas wouldn't go back on his promise.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
If offering Marner 10.1 x 5 years is what it takes to get him. I would do it if I were Lou. If one proposed to me trading Judas for Marner this summer. I would have gone with the younger player. If anything I can see Lou smiling with making this offer sheet.

But its not Pajamas for Marner. Its Pajamas, 2 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd....That's a big difference.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I would like to make the situation difficult if that helps. I have no doubt there is a number that would be annoying for them to match and both not kill us if they let him walk.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Marner isn't a center, I'd rather offersheet their number one center. But in any case they are excellent talents and our team would be better off anyway.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
If Snow was still GM and would be GM for a few more years, yes you can offer sheet because he won't hit on any of those draft picks anyway. :laugh:

Now, I wouldn't do it. Not worth it.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
If Snow was still GM and would be GM for a few more years, yes you can offer sheet because he won't hit on any of those draft picks anyway. :laugh:

Now, I wouldn't do it. Not worth it.
Had there been any talk of Lou upgrading our mediocre scouting department?

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Here is Dreger on the offer sheet to Marner and bringing up Lamoriello maybe sticking it to the Leafs with an offer sheet. 7:55 mark.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-10...-team-signing-marner-to-offer-sheet-1.1182358
Bet if it is true it will be Buffalo, an young up coming rival in the same division with owner willing to spend plus they have Eichael already. A combination of Eichael and Marner will be even more deadly than Tavares/Marner for years to come.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I'm not even sure 1o.1 x 5 would even be accepted by Marner. Doesn't that buy some UFA years? If i'm Marner I would accept an offer sheet for a short amount of time to bring me to UFA and then cash in, or a huuuuge overpayment cutting into UFA years. I don't think 10.1 even whets his whistle.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Cozens. Let’s speak it into existence

Hughes
Cozens
Dach
Turcotte
Suzuki

As long as one of those guys pulls over an Isles sweater next draft this team will be ok.

Personally I want Cozens or Dach. I love the idea of a big 2C that can skate.

Reactions: SI90

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

Personally I see this team drafting outside the top ten next year so it's going to be dicey on how they get there because I think they all go within the top 10.

I really like Broberg too. There is a lot of great talent in the top 10 this year.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think we end up with Krebs.

I also like Podzkolzin, but they would need a second 1st because he’s a winger (albeit a dynamic power forward).

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I'm not even sure 1o.1 x 5 would even be accepted by Marner. Doesn't that buy some UFA years? If i'm Marner I would accept an offer sheet for a short amount of time to bring me to UFA and then cash in, or a huuuuge overpayment cutting into UFA years. I don't think 10.1 even whets his whistle.
I thought 5 years takes him right to UFA doorstep.

10.1m doesn't whet his whistle? I cringe then at what we will need to give Barzal next year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yeah, The Isles need a Center. Hopefully they can draft one this summer.

For the Marner/Lou connection Dreger mentioned. It is an interesting dynamic. If Nylander is signed to >7M per(and he is asking for 8M), and Matthews gets 12M. With Judas already making 11M per. The 45% threshold will be breached. If Friedman is correct this is the highest they want to go.

We will see how this goes, if anything, Lou can make things very difficult for Dumbass next summer. Isles can still draft their Center this summer. But they are going to improve. It's a calculated risk, say 2 mid to late firsts and one 2nd rd pick if 10.1 x 5 years is the magic number. The Leafs will likely match, but they would have to unload someone because they will be likely up against the cap. And wouldn't Lou be smiling? Given how the Judas situation unfolded this summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad