Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
If the Blues were open to moving ROR, I wonder what the price would be?

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer VT, all things being equal, but I assume the cost for ROR would have to be less.

And ROR is a perfect fit behind Barzal. The contract is good and it would solve a big problem for at least several years.

Reactions: ndgolden

SI

Feb 16, 2013

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer VT, all things being equal, but I assume the cost for ROR would have to be less.

And ROR is a perfect fit behind Barzal. The contract is good and it would solve a big problem for at least several years.

The Sabres got-
2019 #1, 2021 #2, Tage Thompson, Bergland, Sobotka

This could be a starting point. What is the equivalent?
Bellows (Tage) - the Blues could you use some Depth a D - Pelech? One of the young D men at Bridgeport?

Pelech, Aho, Bellows, Nelson? If too light add a 2nd? They can always flip Nelson for a late 1st.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Just look at how much better the team is when Cizikas plays compared to when he's out. One player can make a real difference. And that's a bottom 6 guy. Even with several holes to fill, adding just one elite player can make a dramatic difference.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Would love for Lou to get ROR.

Not to go off topic,but wasn't there a rumor that Buffalo demanded more from Eastern conference teams then Western conference teams,when shopping ROR?

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Would love for Lou to get ROR.

Not to go off topic,but wasn't there a rumor that Buffalo demanded more from Eastern conference teams then Western conference teams,when shopping ROR?

I think I remember hearing that as well.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
The Sabres got-
2019 #1, 2021 #2, Tage Thompson, Bergland, Sobotka

This could be a starting point. What is the equivalent?
Bellows (Tage) - the Blues could you use some Depth a D - Pelech? One of the young D men at Bridgeport?

Pelech, Aho, Bellows, Nelson? If too light add a 2nd? They can always flip Nelson for a late 1st.

The 2019 #1 needs to be lottery protected (at least top-10), and I am a fan of Bellows (so it is not an easy give), but if the cost for ROR is a first (essentially Isles choice of this year or next year), Bellows, the Calgary second (which is projecting as a late second right now), Pelech and a "B" prospect, I would be fine with that.

The Isles could even take back the balance of Bouwmeester's $5.4 million, assuming he waives his NTC, which gives the Blues a lot more cap space to retool this season in other trades.

Or, if the Blues took back Clutter's $3.5 million for three years, the Isles could take Steen's $5.75 million for two seasons. Accelerate the financial hit by a year, when the Isles will presumably need to allocate more money to their own UFAs and RFAs.

But taking back salary insures that the Blues don't get a Toews or Aho as that last piece in the deal. I like both as ready insurance in the AHL and one of them probably needs to assume Pelech's spot.

Reactions: SI

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
Just look at how much better the team is when Cizikas plays compared to when he's out. One player can make a real difference. And that's a bottom 6 guy. Even with several holes to fill, adding just one elite player can make a dramatic difference.

Casey is the type of player who brings it every night. He is absolutely a player who can elevate his game and intensity for the playoffs, a much overlooked trait when putting together your core players.

Reactions: dood

SI

Feb 16, 2013
The 2019 #1 needs to be lottery protected (at least top-10), and I am a fan of Bellows (so it is not an easy give), but if the cost for ROR is a first (essentially Isles choice of this year or next year), Bellows, the Calgary second (which is projecting as a late second right now), Pelech and a "B" prospect, I would be fine with that.

The Isles could even take back the balance of Bouwmeester's $5.4 million, assuming he waives his NTC, which gives the Blues a lot more cap space to retool this season in other trades.

Or, if the Blues took back Clutter's $3.5 million for three years, the Isles could take Steen's $5.75 million for two seasons. Accelerate the financial hit by a year, when the Isles will presumably need to allocate more money to their own UFAs and RFAs.

But taking back salary insures that the Blues don't get a Toews or Aho as that last piece in the deal. I like both as ready insurance in the AHL and one of them probably needs to assume Pelech's spot.

You can always trade Nelson or Eberle for assets that get flipped instead giving up our own #1.

Bellows, Nelson (or assets from a SC contender), Pelech, and Aho

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Who do you all wanna see playing RW next year?

Eberle
JHS
Someone via trade

Bailey
And one of the kids: Ho-Sang (no more waiver options, or Bellows, Golyshev, and Wahlstrom will all most likely be AHL.

I would rather that $ go to a Goalie or a 2C

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Bailey
And one of the kids: Ho-Sang (no more waiver options, or Bellows, Golyshev, and Wahlstrom will all most likely be AHL.

I would rather that $ go to a Goalie or a 2C

Agree, which is why I don't get all this talk about getting a winger when that is the least of the teams worries...

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Agree, which is why I don't get all this talk about getting a winger when that is the least of the teams worries...

I actually would love to see if they could ship Eberle to fill out another need.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
You can always trade Nelson or Eberle for assets that get flipped instead giving up our own #1.

Bellows, Nelson (or assets from a SC contender), Pelech, and Aho

Without question, Nelson in a package for ROR would be the preferred option. I guess it depends on how the Blues value Nelson vs. a first rounder, and if they would be looking to sign him to an extension.

Moving both Nelson and Bellows depletes the immediate LW depth chart a bit, but that could be easily remedied by going after, and hopefully landing, Panarin via UFA. ;)

In all seriousness and being a bit more realistic, signing Lee long-term is very important and getting Beauvillier physically stronger (initially by next season and beyond) also cannot be underscored.

I really believe Tito just needs time and training to gain his man strength, so he can win some battles and become a more consistent player. He is going to be a bit streaky scoring goals, but he has the ability to add more as well.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
He should be traded for a pick, which can then be flipped in a trade at the draft.

Isles would be lucky to get a 2nd for Eberle the way he has been playing. I would much rather package Eberle and Clutter for a bag of pucks. That would open spots for MDC and Ho-Sang. Let's see what the kids can do in a development year.

Reactions: bigtim1988

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Without question, Nelson in a package for ROR would be the preferred option. I guess it depends on how the Blues value Nelson vs. a first rounder, and if they would be looking to sign him to an extension.

Moving both Nelson and Bellows depletes the immediate LW depth chart a bit, but that could be easily remedied by going after, and hopefully landing, Panarin via UFA. ;)

In all seriousness and being a bit more realistic, signing Lee long-term is very important and getting Beauvillier physically stronger (initially by next season and beyond) also cannot be underscored.

I really believe Tito just needs time and training to gain his man strength, so he can win some battles and become a more consistent player. He is going to be a bit streaky scoring goals, but he has the ability to add more as well.
I would like to see Tito trend towards a Marchand type.

Also easier to replace LW - you also have Golyshev, Dal Colle, Jenkins, Pastujov as well as Wahlstrom who would look deadly in that off wing.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
That would have to be some package.

We have been discussing it and, based on the initial ROR trade, it would have to be something like:

- Nelson (currently better than both Berglund, who looks washed, and Sobotka)
- Bellows (Tage Thompson prospect equivalent)
- 2020 Isles first rounder (pushing it out a full year so the Isles retain their 2019 pick, the Blues pick going to Buffalo this year is top-10 protected)
- 2019 Calgary second rounder (prob late pick, comps to 2021 Blues pick)
- possibly Pelech (allows Toews or Aho to be called up, saves some salary)

Essentially Nelson and (maybe) Pelech are the cost of pushing the first rounder out a year, as opposed to just top-10 protection. Nelson can be extended or flipped again by the Blues.

To me, that seems like a better package than Buffalo received. Thompson has upside but so does Bellows. Nelson is a better forward than either of the older vets and Pelech is a usable NHL player.

And to that end, I am not sure how the Isles value Pelech vs. say a Toews, Aho or the rest of the young defensemen in the AHL. Maybe Lou and Trotz like him more and would prefer to retain him and give up a B prospect instead?

Of course it all depends on the direction that the Blues are looking to go in re-configuring their team and timeline.

Reactions: SI

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Isles would be lucky to get a 2nd for Eberle the way he has been playing. I would much rather package Eberle and Clutter for a bag of pucks. That would open spots for MDC and Ho-Sang. Let's see what the kids can do in a development year.

I'll take a 2nd at this point for Eberle, it's better than nothing.
Clutter won't be moved yet as no one would take him and there is cap space at the moment to keep him.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Clutter and Ladd are both assistant captains. Yikes !! Would they qualify as the combined worst asst captains in the league.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Regards to the original ROR trade, you have to keep in mind that St.Louis ate his enormous signing bonus. Thus devaluing the amount of assets they had to pay.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Regards to the original ROR trade, you have to keep in mind that St.Louis ate his enormous signing bonus. Thus devaluing the amount of assets they had to pay.

7.5 signing bonus for sure would bring down $, but 5m next year is no small potatos for the next few seasons.

If he was on this current roster - they are a playoff team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad