Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Yeah, The Isles need a Center. Hopefully they can draft one this summer.

For the Marner/Lou connection Dreger mentioned. It is an interesting dynamic. If Nylander is signed to >7M per(and he is asking for 8M), and Matthews gets 12M. With Judas already making 11M per. The 45% threshold will be breached. If Friedman is correct this is the highest they want to go.

We will see how this goes, if anything, Lou can make things very difficult for Dumbass next summer. Isles can still draft their Center this summer. But they are going to improve. It's a calculated risk, say 2 mid to late firsts and one 2nd rd pick if 10.1 x 5 years is the magic number. The Leafs will likely match, but they would have to unload someone because they will be likely up against the cap. And wouldn't Lou be smiling? Given how the Judas situation unfolded this summer?
If I was the Islanders, I go all out to bring in Matthews next offseason. He is well worth the 3-4 first round picks and it would kill the Leafs. Matthews is much more aligned with what we need than Marner.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
In my opinion, the Islanders are one of the most interesting teams going into next offseason.

Not only do they have quite a decent amount of cap space right now, but they have a handful of impending UFAs, as well as a handful (actually probably closer to 6-7) of prospects who could all be inching closer to being full time NHLers next season.

I think there will be larger priorities than offersheeting Matthews (which is plain silly) or Marner.

Bobrovsky is going to be the top target (I’d throw 3 x 10M per at him w/o trade protection in the final year), and then getting an impact forward is going to be right behind that. Can they a top end guy like Panarin/Stone/Duchene, or will they look at some “B” level options in Staal/Brassard/Simmonds.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If I was the Islanders, I go all out to bring in Matthews next offseason. He is well worth the 3-4 first round picks and it would kill the Leafs. Matthews is much more aligned with what we need than Marner.

If Matthews is unsigned by the summer, I can see Arizona taking a huge run at him. He has unique value to Arizona. You can overpay him and it will be worth it, because it will ensure that organization's gate for the time he is there. And Matthews being an Arizona kid probably would love to go back home. I am not convinced he will stay a Leaf his entire career. And part of me sees him as being a mercenary of sorts. IMO he is going to start his number at 13M and we will see where it goes from there. If Dumbass was smart, he would get him signed in season. And not wait to the summer and repeat the Nylander headache. Barzal and Matthews. Yeah that would be nice. Elite playmaker, elite goal scorer 1-2 punch.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
If Matthews is unsigned by the summer, I can see Arizona taking a huge run at him. He has unique value to Arizona. You can overpay him and it will be worth it, because it will ensure that organization's gate for the time he is there. And Matthews being an Arizona kid probably would love to go back home. I am not convinced he will stay a Leaf his entire career. And part of me sees him as being a mercenary of sorts. IMO he is going to start his number at 13M and we will see where it goes from there. If Dumbass was smart, he would get him signed in season. And not wait to the summer and repeat the Nylander headache. Barzal and Matthews. Yeah that would be nice. Elite playmaker, elite goal scorer 1-2 punch.
What are the odds that Arizona is in Arizona in two years? From what I thought, not particularly high.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
In my opinion, the Islanders are one of the most interesting teams going into next offseason.

Not only do they have quite a decent amount of cap space right now, but they have a handful of impending UFAs, as well as a handful (actually probably closer to 6-7) of prospects who could all be inching closer to being full time NHLers next season.

I think there will be larger priorities than offersheeting Matthews (which is plain silly) or Marner.

Bobrovsky is going to be the top target (I’d throw 3 x 10M per at him w/o trade protection in the final year), and then getting an impact forward is going to be right behind that. Can they a top end guy like Panarin/Stone/Duchene, or will they look at some “B” level options in Staal/Brassard/Simmonds.
I doubt Bob accepts only 3 yrs.

It sounds like term is the fly in the ointment on a Columbus extension.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Toronto is matching a Matthews offer sheet regardless of what it is in my opinion. So yeah, whatever offer sheet there is for him, I would try to do it. Just to make them squirm even more.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Toronto is matching a Matthews offer sheet regardless of what it is in my opinion. So yeah, whatever offer sheet there is for him, I would try to do it. Just to make them squirm even more.

Matthews is going nowhere, Toronto would match any offer.

If Lou really did want to stick it to Toronto, offersheet Marner at $10M or whatever the threshold is for it to be a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and not the 4 1sts. Offer 5 years so he'll be eligible for UFA right at 27. Toronto would have to match.

Otherwise, it should be status quo.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011

If Lou really did want to stick it to Toronto, offersheet Marner at $10M or whatever the threshold is for it to be a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and not the 4 1sts. Offer 5 years so he'll be eligible for UFA right at 27. Toronto would have to match.

Would you really want Marner @ 10m? Imagine what Barzal would want..That would put us in a Chicago type scenario

SI

Feb 16, 2013

Agreed - Goaltending, another top 4, and a 2C and 3C for next season.

So many Wingers in the system - Bellows, Ho-Sang, Wahlstrom, and potentially Golyshev and/or Dal Colle all could vie for jobs next season.

If Eberle, Filppula, and Nelson do not come back next season - it makes sense to use that cap space for a 2c, 3C, and a Goaltender.

It would be great to address the blueline as well-

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Did Nylander play mostly center or winger with the Leafs? As a center I would try to make a deal if he’s available as a winger ye I pass.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I doubt Bob accepts only 3 yrs.

It sounds like term is the fly in the ointment on a Columbus extension.

It’s going to be tough to commit longer than three years. Sorokin isn’t a surefire thing, but he’s a known quantity that would in all likelihood become a starter under the Korn/Greco.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Nylander mainly played at RW with Matthews. Kadri and Bozak were the 2C and 3C.

That has been talk of him eventually moving to C, but might be better suited for W
Did Nylander play mostly center or winger with the Leafs? As a center I would try to make a deal if he’s available as a winger ye I pass.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Actually, for the compensation to be only a 1st, 2nd and 3rd, the amount can't be more than $8.1 million. Higher than that, and up to around $10.1 million, the compensation is two 1st round picks, along with a 2nd and 3rd. Above $10.1 million (closer to $10.2 million), the compensation is four 1st round picks.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Actually, for the compensation to be only a 1st, 2nd and 3rd, the amount can't be more than $8.1 million. Higher than that, and up to around $10.1 million, the compensation is two 1st round picks, along with a 2nd and 3rd. Above $10.1 million (closer to $10.2 million), the compensation is four 1st round picks.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Forget Marner then, he's not worth it.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Also IIRC it averages out the total over 5 years correct? Like if you sign an offer sheet for 7mil per for 7 years don’t they do 5 years max when evaluating compensation?

So instead of the AAV being 7 it would be 9.8 which would be more compensation.
Or am I just making this up? Lol

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If Lou really did want to stick it to Toronto, offersheet Marner at $10M or whatever the threshold is for it to be a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and not the 4 1sts.

Offer sheeting Matthews for 13M would screw the Leafs since I assume that would be about 2M more then they want to pay him

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
All this talk of offer sheeting. The player has to actually accept it. There’s no way in hell I can see Matthews leaving. Then again, we know all to well that there are no guarantees.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I thought 5 years takes him right to UFA doorstep.

10.1m doesn't whet his whistle? I cringe then at what we will need to give Barzal next year.
Haha, you should be! Guess your right, but doesn't seem like enough of an overpay to get him to leave where he is. Marner is coming off of two 60 points seasons (almost hit 70). Barzal just has one season under his belt. After this year he's going to cash in for sure!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Also IIRC it averages out the total over 5 years correct? Like if you sign an offer sheet for 7mil per for 7 years don’t they do 5 years max when evaluating compensation?

So instead of the AAV being 7 it would be 9.8 which would be more compensation.
Or am I just making this up? Lol

I've never heard that. Not saying you're wrong, but I've just never heard that part of it.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Duchene or Panarin, who would you rather pursue. The 2C is a huge need, Duchene would fill that instantly and slot nicely behind Barz. He’s also responsible defensively.

Panarin is an elite talent that doesn’t often make it to free agency. He would instantly upgrade the offense, give Barz protection, and possibly form a deadly combo w Barzal.

I’m torn, but I think I go w Panarin. Can’t pass up the opportunity to add an elite talent. Let the 2C work itself out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad