Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

por2gues

Aug 2, 2005
Fair enough but I'm talking about this season. Initially, I was thinking the team would play hard but not really successful.

Now, I think what we see, fingers crossed, will be competitive all year.

Where would we realistically look to upgrade? I would imagine leddy is the best trade chip who would get a decent return. We have in house replacement but where would you look to upgrade the team this year to be more successful?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Would like to see Beau go to Bridgeport and regain his confidence. Looks nothing like the confident kid who scored 21 goals last yr.
Bring up either JHS or MDC and see what they can contribute.

And if the blue line does not start scoring more, either Toews or Aho should be bought up.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Fair enough but I'm talking about this season. Initially, I was thinking the team would play hard but not really successful.

Where would we realistically look to upgrade? I would imagine leddy is the best trade chip who would get a decent return. We have in house replacement but where would you look to upgrade the team this year to be more successful?
The d should be item number one, and Leddy is one of the guys I want to push down. We now have a GM who is not afraid to make trades, the ball is in his court.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
First of all, we need to evaluate the Bridgeport guys - JHS, MDC, Toews, Aho, even Bellows. Where they are now in their development? How they fit into new system? Without answering these questions, the talk about upgrade/trade routs is a little premature, IMO. Sadly (but understandably), LL and BT seem so far not in a hurry to call anyone up.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
First of all, we need to evaluate the Bridgeport guys - JHS, MDC, Toews, Aho, even Bellows. Where they are now in their development? How they fit into new system? Without answering these questions, the talk about upgrade/trade routs is a little premature, IMO. Sadly (but understandably), LL and BT seem so far not in a hurry to call anyone up.

I'm ready to send Beau down for a stint and bring up MDC to give him a look and somehow (anyhow) get Toews in the lineup stat. But lets remember, its only mid November. If its status quo come April, we have a legitimate gripe. But its still early and its really unlikely that we'll go through the season without any callups.

If Toews gets into the lineup in January and keeps his spot (either through injury or attrition), by April he'll be part of the wallpaper.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I'm ready to send Beau down for a stint and bring up MDC to give him a look and somehow (anyhow) get Toews in the lineup stat. But lets remember, its only mid November. If its status quo come April, we have a legitimate gripe. But its still early.

There is a new report on the board that Martin, Cizikas and Ladd are all being put on IR. Ladd sounds like he could be out indefinitely and Martin/Cizikas are for the short term.
So, Beau sticks around and we get Bridgeport callups.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Dumb idea, how cheap can this team bring back Strome? Maybe the Trotz effect will work on him.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
The biggest reason for this success is the goaltending.

There are marked improvements from Nelson and Mayfield in particular, but Greiss and Lehner - did not expect this at all. I believe o called them the worst tandem in the league-

Some of us are not surprised by the Komarov and Filppula play - guys have improved our bottom 6 and PK and that was greatly needed.

Obviously, the biggest reason for all of this is Trotz and the coaches and system in place - if this continues and I expect it to, then the Isles should add come the deadline

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

Leddy would be a great chip, but I'm not seeing this in house replacement you speak of. Who is going to step in and play the first or second most minutes on defense every night, in all situations and against the other teams top lines?

You don't trade Leddy if you want to win again soon, you add to him so he isn't relied on as heavily. The problem right now is with so much parity in the league, no one is going to make a major trade like that this early. No one is out of it at this point.

I'd look at LA and see if you can pry away a Jake Muzzin. It will absolutely cost us in young forwards, but ending the season with a defense of

Muzzin - Pulock
Leddy - Boychuk
Toews - Mayfield

Hickey

Would be a tremendous improvement, and wouldn't be thrusting a young player into important minutes/situations. I'd be comfortable going into the playoffs like this if PDO allows.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
The biggest reason for this success is the goaltending.

There are marked improvements from Nelson and Mayfield in particular, but Greiss and Lehner - did not expect this at all. I believe o called them the worst tandem in the league-

Some of us are not surprised by the Komarov and Filppula play - guys have improved our bottom 6 and PK and that was greatly needed.

Obviously, the biggest reason for all of this is Trotz and the coaches and system in place - if this continues and I expect it to, then the Isles should add come the deadline

It's not the goaltending, and I'd say it never was.... it was always about the system. Halak is on a completely different team and he leads the league or close to in GAA and SV%. The system Weight employed was asinine. That he lasted so long with it is a fireable offense to himself and everyone above him in the organization.

The biggest reason for success right now is having a coach that knows how to deploy a defensive system without crushing offense.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
@Jester9881 Muzzin probably costs Beauvillier + Aho/Vande Sompel/Wotherspoon

I'd argue it probably costs more than that. Beauvillier maybe if they insist on an NHL roster player... but by himself is not enough, and Aho/MVS/Wotherspoon are filler. You're probably looking at handing over one of Bellows, Wahlstrom or Dobson. JMHO, because there will be plenty of suitors including Toronto who has a pretty good chip to offer themselves.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
It's not the goaltending, and I'd say it never was.... it was always about the system. Halak is on a completely different team and he leads the league or close to in GAA and SV%. The system Weight employed was asinine. That he lasted so long with it is a fireable offense to himself and everyone above him in the organization.

The biggest reason for success right now is having a coach that knows how to deploy a defensive system without crushing offense.
Yeah, Ok

Players also need to be held accountable too - good ways and bad ways. Greiss' #'s look better and a lot can be attributed to the coaching and system, but his performance too - making big saves, position is much better, giving up less big rebounds -

JMHO

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
I'd argue it probably costs more than that. Beauvillier maybe if they insist on an NHL roster player... but by himself is not enough, and Aho/MVS/Wotherspoon are filler. You're probably looking at handing over one of Bellows, Wahlstrom or Dobson. JMHO, because there will be plenty of suitors including Toronto who has a pretty good chip to offer themselves.
If so, then they can keep Muzzin. There is no way I would include any of those three. Honestly, I would not even want to include Beau. I know you have to give to get, but I don't know if Muzzin's window corresponds with ours. He is an upgrade for sure...but...dude's almost 30. I am not against 30 year olds. I just don't see a player of that age matching the rest of our core.

Reactions: IODCPiper and dood

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Muzzin doesn't get that much back in return. Isles can do a lot better IF they were trading those players.

Hamonic deal sets a precedent - he is also only signed for another year after this one and will turn 30.
If Kings are truly out - picks and prospects should be what they look to.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
At this point, I am moving towards the SET TOEWS FREE camp.
Let's see what we got in this kid, before making a move for Muzzin.

Not sure how much longer they can keep him at Bridgeport - December 1st he gets the call!

Reactions: IODCPiper

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Dumb idea, how cheap can this team bring back Strome?

I made a joke about this in another thread, and now someone actually suggested it.

serenity-now.jpg

Reactions: Ho Sang Clan

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
At this point, I am moving towards the SET TOEWS FREE camp.
Let's see what we got in this kid, before making a move for Muzzin.

Not sure how much longer they can keep him at Bridgeport - December 1st he gets the call!

I would like both. Toews, Muzzin and Leddy is a decent left side. Pelech needs some time at Bridge to work on his game. Hickey can take Sbisa place as extra.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Just a basic philosophy....

To me if you're not getting a guy who can't be with us for at least 3 years at his current level of play or better, then there's no point in trading for him.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
If thats the cost, then no thank you.

Reactions: dood

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
It's a total crap shoot but if you really want to tank the season trade Nelson and Eberle right now and they will get some first rounders in return. But only if Lee has signed on the dotted line.

Let's live dangerously and give Duchene 7/60 and Panarin 7/77. Realistically you are only only adding 9 million to the cap by bringing those two in.

Lee-Barzal-Bailey
Panarin-Duchene-JHS

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
It's a total crap shoot but if you really want to tank the season trade Nelson and Eberle right now and they will get some first rounders in return. But only if Lee has signed on the dotted line.

Let's live dangerously and give Duchene 7/60 and Panarin 7/77. Realistically you are only only adding 9 million to the cap by bringing those two in.

Lee-Barzal-Bailey
Panarin-Duchene-JHS

Duchene looks like he is going to stay with Ottowa per McKenzie, and Panarin is no guarantee. There's as good of a chance he signs with our rivals than he comes here. You can't blow a team up and place your hopes on getting two potential free agents to sign here.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Duchene looks like he is going to stay with Ottowa per McKenzie, and Panarin is no guarantee. There's as good of a chance he signs with our rivals than he comes here. You can't blow a team up and place your hopes on getting two potential free agents to sign here.
Yeah, Duchene and the Sens seem to be having positive talks, which makes no sense seeing as how that team is a circus from the owners down. Apparently they may be able to lock up some of that vet core they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad