Speculation: Rumors, Speculation, and Armchair GM talk - XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I think Drouin still holds a lot more value than Turris did, at the time of that deal.

Turris proved to be a slightly more productive NHL player than Drouin (on a worse team) through his first 90 games. Their values are going to be very similar.

With the Turris deal, what was Runblad's value at the Kylington?

So Kylington and a 2nd? Personally I'd rather give up Hickey. Maybe Hudler, Hickey and a 2nd.

Granlund would be a better comparable purely for the sake of finding someone with similar potential. TB doesn't really need defense prospects, but likely want to load up for a cup run. I'd be fine with sending them Hudler, they could reunite him with Filppula. Hudler (retained $ as needed) and Klimchuk/Granlund works for me.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
With the Turris deal, what was Runblad's value at the Kylington?

So Kylington and a 2nd? Personally I'd rather give up Hickey. Maybe Hudler, Hickey and a 2nd.

Rundblad wasnt Rundblad at the time of that deal. He was a stud. They found out he was a dud later

Kylington is still only few months from every team in the NHL passing him twice. He currently doesnt own the same value.

moon*

With Stamkos, Filpulla, Boyle, Paquette, Johnson and other like Killorn and Namenstikov who can fill in for injuries I can't see the Lightning having much interest in Backlund.

With Hudler being a UFA I am not sure they want to deal Drouin to be left with a maybe pick and 4 months of Hudler.

Their defense seems fairly set as well so dealing from our depth there doesn't really help.

Hudler if he had another year would be a fit I think but as a UFA I am not sure they go for it.

While Drouin doesn't fit the big top 6 RWer we need, his natural offense would be a great addition to our top 6 that, last night excluded, definitely needs a boost offensively.

Aug 21, 2014
Probably has a lot to do with whatever Stamkos is doing...who knows what that is yet

Good point.

Granlund would be a better comparable purely for the sake of finding someone with similar potential. TB doesn't really need defense prospects, but likely want to load up for a cup run. I'd be fine with sending them Hudler, they could reunite him with Filppula. Hudler (retained $ as needed) and Klimchuk/Granlund works for me.

I'm good with that.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
If they aren't budgeting for Drouin I think the chance Stamkos stays is much higher.
I doubt they trade Drouin for anything that doesnt include a solid 1st round pick and I mean outside of the top 4 of this draft I think Drouin may be the better fit.

Probably hold off on trading for him until the off-season and lotto are complete.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Not surprising Drouin requested a trade. I know that especially around these parts it's hard to believe management is usually nothing less than perfectly rational entities that only strive to do the most logical thing, but the Lightning, particularly Cooper, have handled his development abysmally. From shifting him around from wing to centre constantly, to burying him on the forth line with minimal minutes instead of putting him in a position to succeed. Can't blame him for wanting out.

He'd be a great addition but I wouldn't give up what will likely be a top ten pick in June. Drouin is an amazing talent but not giving up a chance at Puljujarvi, Laine, Nylander, etc., for another sub six foot player. Would consider going as far as

One of Poirier/Hickey/Klimchuk/Wotherspoon/Granlund/Culkin/Kulak
+
One of Colborne/Russell
+
Mid round pick (2nd or a 3rd)

or Jankowski+Russell/Wotherspoon+2nd.

But I agree it'll be hard to make a deal without a first going back in some capacity.
1st (top 10 protected, I don't get how so many people think we will finish bottom ten) + D prospect + Backlund

Maybe because for all but a couple of days this season, the team has remained in the bottom ten. If the Flames don't make the playoffs, it's almost a guarantee they'll finish with a top ten pick.
With Stamkos, Filpulla, Boyle, Paquette, Johnson and other like Killorn and Namenstikov who can fill in for injuries I can't see the Lightning having much interest in Backlund

Backlund is somehow simultaneously the most underrated and overrated player when it comes to trade proposals by Flames fans.

On the one hand, he's easily replaceable by 3 goals, 8 points in 38 games Matt Stajan or 3 goals, 4 points in 17 games Markus Granlund despite seeing heavily sheltered minutes with decent linemates in Bennett and Hudler.

On the other hand, Backlund is such a desirable commodity, he's going to be a key piece in returning top notch superstars like Stamkos or top prospects like Drouin.

Absolutely bizarre really.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yeah I'd be in on this kid. Big time. Imagine having Monahan and Drouin from that draft. We'd laugh all the way to the bank.

As long as the price doesn't include Bennett, our first or our big four (Monny, Johnny, Brods and Hamilton) just make it happen. Whatever else Tampa needs.

Hickey + 2nd + Hudler or Russ or Backs? Go for it. The idea of having two highly skilled LW's for the foreseeable future is awesome. This would jump our rebuild even more.

Drouin - Bennett - Frolik next year... Thank you, yes please.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yeah I'd be in on this kid. Big time. Imagine having Monahan and Drouin from that draft. We'd laugh all the way to the bank.

As long as the price doesn't include Bennett, our first or our big four (Monny, Johnny, Brods and Hamilton) just make it happen. Whatever else Tampa needs.

Hickey + 2nd + Hudler or Russ or Backs? Go for it. The idea of having two highly skilled LW's for the foreseeable future is awesome. This would jump our rebuild even more.

Drouin - Bennett - Frolik next year... Thank you, yes please.

Damn straight, then we just need to sign Stammer in the offseason! :naughty:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Damn straight, then we just need to sign Stammer in the offseason! :naughty:

Calgary Flaming Lightning :laugh:

If you add Drouin, you're in good condition; because you've added elite level scoring (or potential for it). Add in a big RW/C; and you're cooking with gas. On top of my list are Backes and Stamkos.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Drouin
Bennett - Backes - Frolik

or

Gaudreau - Monahan - Stamkos
Drouin - Bennett - Frolik

Like, nutty, just an awesome top 6 that can put up some numbers. Then just beef up the bottom 6; and profit really.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I think the asking price for Drouin would be Bennett or Brodie from the Flames. Tampa won't give him away and is not in any rush to do so. In my opinion the team that gets him will be an unexpected one that moves a promising defenseman prospect for him.

Aug 21, 2014
I think the asking price for Drouin would be Bennett or Brodie from the Flames. Tampa won't give him away and is not in any rush to do so. In my opinion the team that gets him will be an unexpected one that moves a promising defenseman prospect for him.

Depends, Drouin asked for a trade back in November. Value is never equal in situations like this.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

Agreed, Ducks came to mind. Something around Theodore maybe

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
St. Louis also asked for a trade and to only one team to boot. Yzerman still managed to snag a couple of first rounders and Callahan out of it. Talented GM's can create their own leverage.

The Lightning need a young RHD defenseman and/or maybe a young centre if Stamkos leaves. So if Treliving made an inquiry, I wouldn't be surprised if Yzerman returned with something along the lines of:

Drouin+Carle/Coburn for Hamilton
Drouin+ for Monahan
Drouin for Bennett

No reason for Treliving to make any of those deals though. But if the situation drags out, teams aren't as interested or are too reluctant to give up quality pieces, maybe Drouin goes for something similar to what Turris and Niederreiter did.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Calgary won't be players in a Drouin sweepstakes. That being said, I still think Calgary should be selling everything at the deadline...they might sneak into the playoffs (or not) this season but it wouldn't go far anyways so might as well sell.

Aug 21, 2014
Calgary won't be players in a Drouin sweepstakes. That being said, I still think Calgary should be selling everything at the deadline...they might sneak into the playoffs (or not) this season but it wouldn't go far anyways so might as well sell.

Do tell why not.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I have a feeling that Drouin will get a lot less than what they're expecting. I know the St. Louis trade got them a massive haul, but we're also talking about a HOF'er that still had years in the tank (what we should have gotten for Iginla; /sigh Feaster).

Drouin hasn't really proved a heck of a lot, and his stock has really decreased. I think if a team gives them the right package for them to load up for another run, they'll likely the take it. Drouin hasn't helped them increase his value.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Do tell why not.

There's no good fit. Calgary already has Gaudreau, and they probably want to get bigger as well. Not to mention they don't have the right available pieces, because Monahan, Gaudreau, Benett, Brodie, Gio, Hamilton aren't moving for Drouin. Doubt the 1st will be risked either, not that it would get it done. People think you can just throw backlund or hudler and a few pieces together for Drouin lol. Meanwhile other teams can do closer 1-to-1 with guys like Mantha or Theadore.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
There's no good fit. Calgary already has Gaudreau, and they probably want to get bigger as well. Not to mention they don't have the right available pieces, because Monahan, Gaudreau, Benett, Brodie, Gio, Hamilton aren't moving for Drouin. Doubt the 1st will be risked either, not that it would get it done. People think you can just throw backlund or hudler and a few pieces together for Drouin lol. Meanwhile other teams can do closer 1-to-1 with guys like Mantha or Theadore.

Do they want to do those types of trades? They're out of the playoffs right now, but they're also stuck in the middle of the pack and won't be doing themselves any favours by spinning their tires (So they can pick 14th).

It's funny, because those people who think they can just 'throw in' a solid NHL'er and some other pieces as incentive tend to be significantly more correct than the 1 elite prospect for another, or the 1st + A prospect + young NHL'er crowd. I'll be incredibly surprised if Tampa ends up going prospect for prospect OR gets a 1st + a good NHL'er in this trade.

Aug 21, 2014
Do they want to do those types of trades? They're out of the playoffs right now, but they're also stuck in the middle of the pack and won't be doing themselves any favours by spinning their tires (So they can pick 14th).

It's funny, because those people who think they can just 'throw in' a solid NHL'er and some other pieces as incentive tend to be significantly more correct than the 1 elite prospect for another, or the 1st + A prospect + young NHL'er crowd. I'll be incredibly surprised if Tampa ends up going prospect for prospect OR gets a 1st + a good NHL'er in this trade.

You mean I was aiming too high? :sarcasm:

Bollig and a 3rd. Shades of Niño.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad