Speculation: Rumors, Speculation, and Armchair GM talk - XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Columbus would be asking for more then Russell or that deal would have been made without hesitation.

I assume they wanted either on of our Swedes or were trying to swing bigger deals for our big two Dmen (Brodie and Dougie). I don't think Treliving would want any part in that. I also think the deal has continued to change as the year progressed. It may have been possible that one of the Dmen plus one of the lower tier D prospects were close to value; but as CBJ started to sag, they were really only looking for long-term picks.

I'm up for both Drouin and Rychel. If you could add those two players; you'd have 5 picks from the 2013 draft :laugh:.

For those that haven't seen Drouin play, he's elite. He's elite level offence. I do think that if Calgary managed to get him, they'd really need to start bulking up their RW side with some big boys. Drouin holds all the cards here; he can really make this situation ugly by not reporting even.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Drouin holds all the cards here; he can really make this situation ugly by not reporting even.

Wrong, he holds no cards. Hes got 1 more year left on his ELC. If he doesnt play he doesnt get paid and he doesnt improve. No team will give him a good contract if he decides to wait out the last year of his ELC. Any offer at that point that he possibly gets will just be matched by the Lightning and hes not going to go overseas until hes 27. If he makes the situation ugly, it only makes things worse for him. Best thing for him to do is report to the AHL and tear up the league. Then there will be legitimate interest around the league for him and Steve will get an offer that he deems worthwhile.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Wrong, he holds no cards. Hes got 1 more year left on his ELC. If he doesnt play he doesnt get paid and he doesnt improve. No team will give him a good contract if he decides to wait out the last year of his ELC. Any offer at that point that he possibly gets will just be matched by the Lightning and hes not going to go overseas until hes 27. If he makes the situation ugly, it only makes things worse for him. Best thing for him to do is report to the AHL and tear up the league. Then there will be legitimate interest around the league for him and Steve will get an offer that he deems worthwhile.

We've seen it before. Yzerman doesn't have the option to let him sit in the minors if the kid doesn't report. Really, everyone loses not just Drouin. His value is probably the lowest it's been since he's been drafted, and he hasn't helped it by going public.

This guy's going to get his way, me thinks, because the longer he doesn't do anything, the less the Lightning will get for him. They spent the 3rd OA pick for this guy; that's a franchise turning pick... only two years ago and if the guy refuses to play, they'll get peanuts for him. Turris waited 20 games into a season just to rejoin the club when he wanted bigger money. Would it be best for Drouin to go down and dominate the AHL? Yes, of course, because then everyone wins. But really, he'll be the one that makes the decision if everyone's going to lose badly on this whole thing, or if everyone's going to go home happy.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Drouin holds all the cards here; he can really make this situation ugly by not reporting even.

Completely disagree, Yzerman holds the cards. He still has a year left on his ELC. If he doesn't report whats he going to do miss a year and half of playing hockey. He really has no power in this at all.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Columbus would be asking for more then Russell or that deal would have been made without hesitation.

Russell's value was significantly higher at the beginning of the season and at that time, the Jacket's season was not a complete a writeoff. Looking at things today and the struggles Russell has had, it looks almost laughable to suggest Russell for Rychel straight up. As you know though, values go up and down throughout a season and this is no different. Coming off the year he had last season, Russell had lots of value at the beginning of this year IMO.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
We've seen it before. Yzerman doesn't have the option to let him sit in the minors if the kid doesn't report. Really, everyone loses not just Drouin. His value is probably the lowest it's been since he's been drafted, and he hasn't helped it by going public.

Yes he does. If Drouin does not report he gets suspended by the team, and cannot play anywhere else. Drioun has nothing to gain and everything to lose by not reporting. Steve has shown with the whole St. Louis incident that he will not be pressed into a bad trade just because of a player or agent publicly asking for one.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Hudler for Ilya Samsonov?

Rob the Caps two years in a row. Have two of the top five goalie prospects in the world. He can develop in Russia. Sigh Ramo for two years.
Also, remember we were also rumoured to be after George McPhee as our GM. Most people (myself included) weren't fans of it at the time. Seems like all he needed was a coach. But the guy can draft, my lord.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I think if you go after Drouin you also have to take on Carle with a 5.5M caphit for 2 years after this one, plays defense on a level with Smid (poor man's #7) far below Wideman and Russell and brings LESS offense than Smid (if you can believe that).

And unfortunately because of our buy up on NHL players year of spending, next year we have:
Raymond 3.2M
Wideman 5.3M
Smid 3.5M
Engelland 2.9M
Bollig 1.3M

Still taking up space next season when
Gaudreau
Monahan
Granlund are due for raises
Gio's extension kicks in.
and we are forced to find a starting goalie (even if it's still Ramo)

I mean after that we free up 17M to go with the over 3M in capspace we have and hopefully see the cap number go up slightly so we are in a pretty good spot a year and a half from now but next season is going to be a bit of a squeeze and without dumping 2 of the guys listed above who all have very little value I cannot see us taking on Carle and then screwing around with the Gaudreau and Monahan contracts / opening ourselves up to be offer sheeted during a crunch.

The only way it could work is giving Monahan and Gaudreau the money we get from Jones and Hudler leaving, using Hiller's capspace for Carle, Drouin ('s Bonus money) gets Russell's space, and call up a guy to replace Jones&Hiller at under 1M (poirier/hathaway/arnold/aogustino?) We'd have to sign no one in free agency and let 3 players walk

Last edited:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I think if you go after Drouin you also have to take on Carle with a 5.5M caphit for 2 years after this one, plays defense on a level with Smid (poor man's #7) far below Wideman and Russell and brings LESS offense than Smid (if you can believe that).
The only way Carle is involved is if the Bolts are practically giving away Drouin.

I don't think they're that desperate to get rid of Carle. But maybe they are, what do I know.

I think taking on Carle's contract is doable but it means walking away from Russell (or including him as part of the deal). Drouin & Carle for Hudler & Russell?

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I'd LOVE to see Drouin and Okposo both in our top 6. Would have a pretty lethal combination of skill and size

Gaudreau - Monahan - Okposo
Drouin - Bennett - Frolik (Poirier?)

Aug 21, 2014

Rob the Caps two years in a row. Have two of the top five goalie prospects in the world. He can develop in Russia. Sigh Ramo for two years.
Also, remember we were also rumoured to be after George McPhee as our GM. Most people (myself included) weren't fans of it at the time. Seems like all he needed was a coach. But the guy can draft, my lord.

Why does Washington do this?

I think if you go after Drouin you also have to take on Carle with a 5.5M

Why would TB add Carle to Drouin? They would get a lesser return if they did that.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC

Why are you talking about McPhee when he didn't even draft Samsonov?

Also, no way Washington does that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad