Speculation: Rumors, Speculation, and Armchair GM talk - XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Drouin's development has plateaued, he's a defensive liability and he is rumoured to be a huge diva. Oh, and the Flames don't actually need him.

Ask yourselves this: if he hadn't been drafted 3rd overall, would you care at all where he went, let alone contemplate giving up a first-round pick and players for him, based on what he's done in the NHL?

Also, there's a very real chance the Flames will draft in the top 10.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Report: Blue Jackets' Rychel asked for trade before season started

Columbus Blue Jackets 2013 first-round pick Kerby Rychel asked for a trade before the season began, The Columbus Dispatch's Aaron Portzline reports.

Selected 19th overall, Rychel's played 16 games over the past two seasons for the Blue Jackets, and is still searching for his first NHL goal. He had three assists in five games last season, and has three assists in 11 games in 2015-16.
Portzline lists a number of teams reportedly interested in acquiring the son of former NHLer Warren Rychel:

Anaheim Ducks
Boston Bruins
Calgary Flames
Detroit Red Wings
Montreal Canadiens
New York Rangers
Toronto Maple Leafs

Rychel has 50 points (17 goals, 33 assists) in 70 career AHL games.

Explains the Blue Jackets shopping him at the beginning of the season. Flames have been linked to Rychel earlier (Friedman), but the asking price was apparently too high.

"Craig Conroy was in Manitoba last night, I understand, to go watch the Moose and Lake Erie. I did some checking around. I was like, ‘Who could he be there watching?’ And you assume it’s Lake Erie, because that’s Columbus’s team.

“But you look at what they’ve got in the American Hockey League, and there’s really only two things that jump out at you and one I highly doubt is available. You guys know Oliver Bjorkstrand from his Western Hockey League Days. I can’t imagine that Columbus is even thinking about that. So I threw that away.

“The other, of course, is Kerby Rychel. I think he’s got five points in three games, or something like that, and he’s leading them in scoring.

“I think Calgary is looking for a little help on the wings and is maybe willing to get a little bigger there. Columbus would like to trade Kerby Rychel, but they’re asking a lot – as they should. From what I understand, it’s a price that Calgary is not willing to pay at this particular point in time.

“So I wouldn’t be surprised if it was getting another look in at him, because a lot of teams are watching Kerby Rychel. But I’ve been told that unless Columbus is willing to come down a little bit on what it wants, that’s not a deal that Calgary is willing to make.”

Would not be surprised if Treliving had offered the likes of Russell/Wideman/Wotherspoon and Kekäläinen countering with Brodie/Hamilton at that time. But with Rychel's trade request going public, maybe he could be had for less. With the Blues Jackets firmly in the cellar, Russell or Wideman would be of no interest but maybe they bite on Wotherspoon/Culkin/Kulak. Andersson/Hickey/Kylington should be off the table completely. Don't really want to trade Kulak or Culkin though.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
[

Would not be surprised if Treliving had offered the likes of Russell/Wideman/Wotherspoon and Kekäläinen countering with Brodie/Hamilton at that time. But with Rychel's trade request going public, maybe he could be had for less. With the Blues Jackets firmly in the cellar, Russell or Wideman would be of no interest but maybe they bite on Wotherspoon/Culkin/Kulak. Andersson/Hickey/Kylington should be off the table completely. Don't really want to trade Kulak or Culkin though.

Klimchuk and Kulak or Wotherspoon

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Do they want to do those types of trades? They're out of the playoffs right now, but they're also stuck in the middle of the pack and won't be doing themselves any favours by spinning their tires (So they can pick 14th).

It's funny, because those people who think they can just 'throw in' a solid NHL'er and some other pieces as incentive tend to be significantly more correct than the 1 elite prospect for another, or the 1st + A prospect + young NHL'er crowd. I'll be incredibly surprised if Tampa ends up going prospect for prospect OR gets a 1st + a good NHL'er in this trade.

Lol in that case:

Drouin for Poirie, Backlund, Hickey

Trade Bennett for RyJo

Run with Gaudreau-RyJo and Drouin-Monahan, sell the other stuff off like Hudler, Russell, Jones.

Tank from there and get Pulju/Laine

Gaudreau-RyJo-Pulju/Laine
Drouin-Monahan-Frolik

Where's my medal? :naughty:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Your 2016-17 Flames: In a world where every other team's GM is not very intelligent and the cap is somehow not remotely an issue

Drouin-Johansen-Jagr
Gaudreau-Monahan-Iginla
Bennett-Jankowski-Ferland
Bouma-Jooris-Frolik

Brodie-Hamonic
Giordano-Hamilton
Russell-Nakladal

:naughty:

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Your 2016-17 Flames: In a world where every other team's GM is not very intelligent and the cap is somehow not remotely an issue

Drouin-Johansen-Jagr
Gaudreau-Monahan-Iginla
Bennett-Jankowski-Ferland
Bouma-Jooris-Frolik

Brodie-Hamonic
Giordano-Hamilton
Russell-Nakladal

:naughty:

Oh and sign Stamkos for 8 years.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

That's some really interesting stuff. Rychel would fit the mould of what Calgary's trying to accomplish. He's a big guy with good level of skill. He's had an excellent start to his professional career too. Have to wonder what that price tag would be.

The problem with Columbus is they're not in the business of trying for anything. Like the only pieces that hold some value are UFA's in Calgary (Jones, Russ or Huds). And the other pieces are either no-touches or have no value. I'm fairly sure that Columbus wouldn't go for Jooris, Colborne and a second :laugh: and I'm not really in favour of moving any of our recent picks (Oliver or Rasmus).

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Lol in that case:
Drouin for Poirie, Backlund, Hickey

I know you kind of wrote that up as a joke, but that's a package that Yzerman would probably have interest in:
1) A guy picked in the same draft year who has been a more successful professional.
2) A younger NHL'er on a fairly good cost controlled contract.
3) A guy who was just a WJC member for Canada and who has been good at the NCAA rank; might end up being a really good player.

Seriously, that's actually a strong offer for someone like Drouin. You get a top 5 prospect in an organization, you get a good young NHL'er and you get a bit of a crap-shoot that could really pan out well. Pens almost paid less getting Kessel, a 5 time 30 goal scorer :laugh:

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Can any promising prospect with a right shot out there ask for a trade?

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
I know you kind of wrote that up as a joke, but that's a package that Yzerman would probably have interest in:
1) A guy picked in the same draft year who has been a more successful professional.
2) A younger NHL'er on a fairly good cost controlled contract.
3) A guy who was just a WJC member for Canada and who has been good at the NCAA rank; might end up being a really good player.

Seriously, that's actually a strong offer for someone like Drouin. You get a top 5 prospect in an organization, you get a good young NHL'er and you get a bit of a crap-shoot that could really pan out well. Pens almost paid less getting Kessel, a 5 time 30 goal scorer :laugh:

hey it could happen if Yzerman doesn't find someone to do a 1 for 1 type deal. I'd be willing to do that...big fan of Drouin.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Drouin is so overrated here :laugh:

He was only a top 3 pick because he was MacKinnon's sidekick in Halifax. He fooled everyone into thinking he was a top 5 talent when he should have been taken in the middle of the first round. The guy has Baertschi written all over him.

Now at 20-21 and 89 games he's requesting a trade? I'm sorry but what kind of self entitled kid is this? He's too good to earn a job?

Deen

Feb 19, 2010

He was only a top 3 pick because he was MacKinnon's sidekick in Halifax. He fooled everyone into thinking he was a top 5 talent when he should have been taken in the middle of the first round. The guy has Baertschi written all over him.

Now at 20-21 and 89 games he's requesting a trade? I'm sorry but what kind of self entitled kid is this? He's too good to earn a job?

You obviously have not seen him play. You're just looking at stats.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Drouin has flaws but he also has exceptional skill. personally, if it's only a first, a roster player (Backlund) and prospect not named Poirier/Gillies/Janko/Kylington, then I would pull the trigger. I feel like he could blossom here.

Gaudreau Bennett Frolik
Drouin Monahan ?

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada

Yeah he kinda is.

But at the same time, he's never really been put in a situation to succeed. Tampa is just REALLY deep at the forward position. He was fairly successful on the 3rd line in the playoffs last season IIRC.

Same thing with Baertschi where he's getting 3rd or 4th line time. I know you shouldn't 'gift' him time, but let him play higher up in the line-up and see what happens. why not right? Tampa would have nothing to lose at this point.

But I agree. Asking for a trade THIS early into your career screams attitude problems.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
as for an offer for Drouin, I would strongly consider something along the lines of:

Granlund
Klimchuk
2nd

and it would hurt, which means its probably close to fair value

Last edited:

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
as for an offer for Drouin, I would strongly consider something along the lines of:

Granlund
Klimchuk
2nd

and it would hurt, which means its probably close to fair value

Lol no it isn't, Tampa wouldn't take that and if that's all it took Granlund and Klimchuk would be on a plane right now.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Lol no it isn't, Tampa wouldn't take that and if that's all it took Granlund and Klimchuk would be on a plane right now.

i did say close to fair value, i didn't say it'd be the exact deal. but you're either overrating Drouin, or underrating Klimchuk and Granny and a 2nd is a 2nd, hold pretty good value, or both. not sure. maybe swap out Klimchuk with Poirier, and/or add one of Kulak/Wotherspoon/Morrison/Hickey/Kanzig and you have a pretty solid basis, IMO.

to me, he's veering towards being another Baertschi. has all the skill in the world, but isn't all there up top. its up to him to put it together. yes he could get some more playing time, but he has to earn it and take it from other players.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The news on both Drouin and Rychel isn't new to Treliving. No deal has been yet because the price to this point has been to high which tells me he's not going to deal certain key assets, which is a good thing. I guarantee that in a perfect world, we have interest in both players. The interest on Rychel is actually somewhat old news, I heard that interview almost 2 months ago in regards to Russell.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
The news on both Drouin and Rychel isn't new to Treliving. No deal has been yet because the price to this point has been to high which tells me he's not going to deal certain key assets, which is a good thing. I guarantee that in a perfect world, we have interest in both players. The interest on Rychel is actually somewhat old news, I heard that interview almost 2 months ago in regards to Russell.

Columbus would be asking for more then Russell or that deal would have been made without hesitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese