Speculation: Rumors, Speculation, and Armchair GM talk - XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He's going to cost at least one asset that'll hurt, which means one of: Kylington, Andersson, Hickey, Poirier, Klimchuk, Jankowski, our 1st. Then probably add in one of: Hudler, Russell, Backlund.

If you're serious, you're looking at outbidding other teams. So for a legit offer I could see: Hudler, Klimchuk and Hickey.

I have my doubts we offer that much.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
There is no way I offer up a 1st for Drouin, massive over payment.

Drouin went 3rd overall two years ago for a reason. He was actually their best player at the beginning of the year, Cooper has just shunned him from the team for some unknown reason. Maybe he knows Stamkos is leaving and doesn't want to stay, but that is just pure speculation on my part. Our 1st could literally be anywhere, but i'd be willing to wager it won't be in the top 5 this year. You have to give to get and I think Backlund and our 1st would be extremely enticing to them if Stamkos does in fact leave. Drouin gives us options on the power play and we can basically interchange him, Gaudreau, Bennett and Monahan to see what fits best. This trade would solidify 4 spots in our top 6 for years to come.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Do we even need Drouin? He really isn't what this team is missing. Especially giving up value for a guy that hasn't lived up to the hype. This is almost Baertschi 2.0. I am staying away from this.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
He's going to cost at least one asset that'll hurt, which means one of: Kylington, Andersson, Hickey, Poirier, Klimchuk, Jankowski, our 1st. Then probably add in one of: Hudler, Russell, Backlund.

If you're serious, you're looking at outbidding other teams. So for a legit offer I could see: Hudler, Klimchuk and Hickey.

I have my doubts we offer that much.

I'd throw Kylington in there if they added a 3rd

1st + Backlund + Kylington

for

Drouin + 3rd

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Way too much and I don't even like Backlund!

I don't think a lot of you have seen Drouin play. A potential bust in our 1st round pick, Backlund who is solid, but really a 2nd/3rd line tweener, and a potential bust in Kylington to get a player of his pedigree and high end talent is a good deal imo.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I wouldnt risk Matthews/Laine/Puljujarvi for him

It's a gamble for sure. Say we make the playoffs though and our pick is around 14. Do you do it then? You have to understand we make our team immediately better.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
It's a gamble for sure. Say we make the playoffs though and our pick is around 14. Do you do it then? You have to understand we make our team immediately better.

If the Flames make the playoff then yes, I would consider it. I doubt that Douin would be the difference on the Flames this year.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
If the Flames make the playoff then yes, I would consider it. I doubt that Douin would be the difference on the Flames this year.

He gets slotted into our top 6 right away. The enticing part of the deal to Tampa is the mystery box. Bennett needs someone to play with instead of the scrubs he has been given, Drouin has the potential to produce fireworks with Bennett and/or Monahan. Our power play becomes instantly better. Our future core becomes more solidified and we effectively become a two line threat instead of just rolling with interchangeable players. Drouin - Bennett - Frolik could be better going forward than Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler. We'd really only need to either place Poirer on the right side or sign someone (after Hudler is gone) to have a formidable top 6 that can all play off one another. Pretty sick of seeing Ferland getting top 6 minutes. We need to create a foundation so the players can get to know one another instead of playing with "insert here" every other game.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

That's just it, he doesn't make our team better now. We're talking about a kid with 8 points on the season, there's a reason he was sent down. Sure, the potentials there, but demanding a trade also screams attitude issues. Personally, I think Kylington has the potential to be the steal of the draft and wouldn't include him in a package.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He gets slotted into our top 6 right away. The enticing part of the deal to Tampa is the mystery box. Bennett needs someone to play with instead of the scrubs he has been given, Drouin has the potential to produce fireworks with Bennett and/or Monahan. Our power play becomes instantly better. Our future core becomes more solidified and we effectively become a two line threat instead of just rolling with interchangeable players. Drouin - Bennett - Frolik could be better going forward than Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler. We'd really only need to either place Poirer on the right side or sign someone (after Hudler is gone) to have a formidable top 6 that can all play off one another. Pretty sick of seeing Ferland getting top 6 minutes. We need to create a foundation so the players can get to know one another instead of playing with "insert here" every other game.

Long term yes, but I still maintain the Flames are probably a few points between a top lottery pick and a playoff. Flip the coin.
The risk is too high. I wouldnt do it. I doubt the Flames would want to take that kind of risk.

I dont see Drouin's contribution is going to be any more than Bennett's this year. It's not going to make a huge difference .

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I put up my proposal on the main board for those that want to express your concerns. Drouin, Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett, Frolik, Brodie, Hamilton, and Gio. Yes please.

Aug 21, 2014
Kyle Turris only got a 2nd and Rundblad (former 1st rounder). I think Hudler and 1st is fine.. 1st > 2nd, Hudler > Rundblad.

Speaking of Rundblad he's been loaned out to ZSC Lions Hartley's former team.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Kyle Turris only got a 2nd and Rundblad (former 1st rounder). I think Hudler and 1st is fine.. 1st > 2nd, Hudler > Rundblad.

Speaking of Rundblad he's been loaned out to ZSC Lions Hartley's former team.

Can Tampa afford Hudler?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
1st (top 10 protected, I don't get how so many people think we will finish bottom ten) + D prospect + Backlund

That would sting but it would allow us to move Bennett to C and we would finally have someone to play with the guy.
Without that top ten protection I don't do it. I'd rather have any of Laine, Pulu, Mathews, Nylander, Gauthier or Nylander then Drouin at this point.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
For what it would cost to get Drouin, I don't think the Flames would necessarily get an upgrade, unless the Bolts want quantity.

Between under-performing in the NHL and the trade request (and potential attitude problem) his trade value is also in flux. For the Flames, I wouldn't trade any significant pieces and if that means no deal, fine.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
1st (top 10 protected, I don't get how so many people think we will finish bottom ten) + D prospect + Backlund

That would sting but it would allow us to move Bennett to C and we would finally have someone to play with the guy.
Without that top ten protection I don't do it. I'd rather have any of Laine, Pulu, Mathews, Nylander, Gauthier or Nylander then Drouin at this point.

I like the idea of protecting the pick. Maybe just top 5 protected though, we would have to entice them to take the offer one way or another. I understand no one wants to give up Matthews for him, but we aren't exactly a bottom feeder lately if you discount our atrocious start.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Drouin is getting so overrated on here. People are valuing him what he did at the jr level, and not what he has done in the NHL (which is not much and has been underwhelming to say the least). We don't need another small playmaking winger on this team. We need a big goal scoring winger to put into the top 6

Aug 21, 2014
I do wonder though, does Tampa want strict futures or do they want pieces for an immediate cup run.. I'm leaning on the latter.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
With the Turris deal, what was Runblad's value at the Kylington?

So Kylington and a 2nd? Personally I'd rather give up Hickey. Maybe Hudler, Hickey and a 2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad