Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Where Creativity is murdered by Skepticism and the Salary Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I wonder where Reaves ends up. Can't see Vegas keeping him at 2.75mil. Does little for them.

Even that d, you have to upgrade it. Engelland can't be the guy that plays the most of all your d-men.
They'll probably bring in either Gardiner or Erik Karlsson as a UFA. I think is probably Engelland's swan song, I would suspect he joins the organization, because they can't be blind to how bad he is at this.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Id be licking my chops at the sight of Toronto if I was GM of the Oilers

Nylander and Gardiner both getting absolutely roasted in the media and by fans and likely the lost value theyll ever be. Gardiner probably goes from a 6m per pay to a 4.5 or 5 mil (which Id easily give to him). Nylander could be a top line forward you get for a discount

Hell even Kadri potentially

Say what you want about this guys in the playoffs, but I could care less. We need as much help as we can get to even sniff the playoffs. Id wait to actually make the playoffs before worrying about that
Honestly I think they are looking at trying to move Nylander for a defender.
If the Oilers were able to get a legit top 4 guy in another trade, I would seriously think about a Nylander/Larsson swap.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I think he is the last guy they move out of the potential moveables. I see Nylander, Kadri or Kapanen moving before him.
Leafs are kind of stuck with Nylander and Kadri. Dubas can't trade Nylander after making a promise and Kadri has a NTC. It will have to be two of Brown/Kapanen/Johnsson going for cap space

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Anyone else waiting for Dubas to "hard ball" Marner like he did Nylander and watch Marner sign an offsheet? Cannot wait for that.
If hard balling Marner leads to him still making what everyone thinks he will and missing half a season, I'd laugh at that too

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If hard balling Marner leads to him still making what everyone thinks he will and missing half a season, I'd laugh at that too
Well I can see people being luke warm on offersheeting Nylander, if there's any hint of the signature Dubas contract style, Marner will have just some many offers.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I expect Marner's negotiation to take awhile.

I don't see an offersheet, though. His best comparable is Matthews and Dubas is the only GM he will really be able to leverage that against.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Marner's agent is going to hammer Dubas for every possible dime available. He's going to get at least what Matthews got. Toronto's in the Cap Strapped category, along with Winnipeg, Tampa Bay, and Vegas. Those teams are going to have to be fairly active this summer.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I expect Marner's negotiation to take awhile.

I don't see an offersheet, though. His best comparable is Matthews and Dubas is the only GM he will really be able to leverage that against.
This is nonsense, teams would line up to pay him, because he's probably the Leafs' best forward, and Matthews is a starting point.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
This is nonsense, teams would line up to pay him, because he's probably the Leafs' best forward, and Matthews is a starting point.

Teams would love to add Marner, yeah.

They won't love to add him for 11M and 4 first round picks. He's not gonna sign one for 9 when he can bend the Leafs over a log.

edmoil3

Mar 26, 2010
Have we found out who was texting Katz Behind Peters back?

Gregor talked about it. But didn’t name names

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Kadri is probably the last guy they move. Great contract and has term.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Teams would love to add Marner, yeah.

They won't love to add him for 11M and 4 first round picks. He's not gonna sign one for 9 when he can bend the Leafs over a log.
If you're Nashville or Winnipeg, adding that player might make a lot of sense and those low picks don't matter all that much, again, if the Leafs don't play this right, they will be put in a very difficult position.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
If you're Nashville or Winnipeg, adding that player might make a lot of sense and those low picks don't matter all that much, again, if the Leafs don't play this right, they will be put in a very difficult position.

How are Nashville or Winnipeg going to afford the contract? If it's by trading other cap out, then you have to show how doing that + giving up 4 first rounders still has them come out ahead. There is a reason offersheets almost never happen. Making them work is extremely difficult.

Oh, and the Leafs already are in a very difficult position. I didn't and don't dispute that.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I like the idea of going hard after Subban. He's not the player he was, but he's someone that can still insulate defenceman lower on the roster.

If it takes something like the 8th, Benson/Yamamoto/Puljujarvi/Jones, and Sekera (for the cap). Then I think that's the kind of trade you need to go for.

If you upgrade the offence from the backend, then that helps your forwards even if you don't upgrade them directly.

Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian
Yamamoto*-RNH-Puljujarvi*
Lucic-Khaira-Gagner
Gambardella-Brodziak-Russell
Cave

Nurse-Subban
Klefbom-Larsson
Russell-Jones/Bear/Bouchard/Persson

*I'm suggesting Yama and Pulju, as they still have the highest upside in my eyes; however I have that second line as an open competition between those two plus Benson, Marody, and even Gambardella and Currie (basically whoever doesn't go in my supposed Subban deal). Gagner drives the offence for the soft minutes parade/3rd line, and the 4th line gives you a couple cheap grinders to rotate through for defensive starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad