Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | We Lose and No Trades Are Made, We Win and No Trades Are Made

Status
Not open for further replies.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I mean it is, but sometimes an agent has to hear it for himself.

I'm sure damn near every team in the league would have interest in Broberg. Barely over min salary and can go to the minors. Also has draft pedigree. Regardless where people may think he should've went he was ranked as a top half of the first round by many going into the draft.

Problem is the agent needs to realize the Oilers aren't just going to give him away for a 6th round pick. He has more value in the minors to us than that 6th round pick right now.

It's not the agent's role to negotiate. It's to sell the idea of the player to other teams and answer any questions the GM would have of the player (health, drive, family, ect)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's not the agent's role to negotiate. It's to sell the idea of the player to other teams and answer any questions the GM would have of the player (health, drive, family, ect)
Never really said it's the agent's role to negotiate, just that he needs to realize we aren't giving away Broberg for nothing.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Depends on what you're getting. A 20-something franchise potential goalie who can be in that tier of top goalies in the league like a Demko?

Sure yeah, I would consider that strongly.

How many games did Bouchard win this team this year when McDavid was hurt? Maybe the Seattle game where he was a big impact maker I think, but for that game there's easily 2-3 other games where he was a complete tire fire in his own zone and a major reason we lost.
Carter Hart is not a potential franchise goalie. He's a young-ish 1A that might maybe flourish into a full fledged starter one day, but franchise is valuing him way too highly. He was awful in 20-21, awful in 21-22, good last year, and mediocre so far this year.

Hockey is a team game. Single players don't win the game for their teams too often. Bouchard has been a bit bumpy this year, but you can't with a straight face say that Carter Hart at 25 has franchise potential and Evan Bouchard at 24 is a tire fire with no hope of getting better.

Nurse-Ceci
Ekholm-Barrie

That top four is abysmal. Honest to god it's terrible. Bouchard overall might be our best defenceman right now, and you propose to replace him with a healthy scratch 32 year old? Come on man.

Reactions: Duke74

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ken Holland and drafting busts.

Never forget, this GM greenlit Zadina over Quinn Hughes, lol.

And don't give me that "a GM has no say in the drafting!", for a top 10 pick you can at least put as much effort into it as posters on this board do.

Carter Hart is not a potential franchise goalie. He's a young-ish 1A that might maybe flourish into a full fledged starter one day, but franchise is valuing him way too highly. He was awful in 20-21, awful in 21-22, good last year, and mediocre so far this year.

Hockey is a team game. Single players don't win the game for their teams too often. Bouchard has been a bit bumpy this year, but you can't with a straight face say that Carter Hart at 25 has franchise potential and Evan Bouchard at 24 is a tire fire with no hope of getting better.

Nurse-Ceci
Ekholm-Barrie

That top four is abysmal. Honest to god it's terrible. Bouchard overall might be our best defenceman right now, and you propose to replace him with a healthy scratch 32 year old? Come on man.

Lol, if you guys were that honest with your own roster, if Hart is a 1A, Skinner is what? A 3C?

Barrie probably plays actual better defense better than Bouchard, your loss would come from the offense that he generates above and beyond Barrie.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
They eliminated making trades conditional on player re-signing since the NHLPA viewed this as a barrier to a player re-signing.
As per Cap Friendly
Performance bonuses are only available on ELC, for players that are 35+ on a 1 year contract, or for players on a 1 year contract returning from a LTI thst have played 400+ games

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231205_143601_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231205_143601_Chrome.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Depends on what you're getting. A 20-something franchise potential goalie who can be in that tier of top goalies in the league like a Demko?

How many games did Bouchard win this team this year when McDavid was hurt? Maybe the Seattle game where he was a big impact maker I think, but for that game there's easily 2-3 other games where he was a complete tire fire in his own zone and a major reason we lost.

The Capitals were able to move on from Mike Green and win a Cup without him.
And who did they replace Mike Green with?

Their young stud offensive defenceman, John Carlson.

Mike Green isn't Bouchard in this story. Mike Green is Barrie.

Never forget, this GM greenlit Zadina over Quinn Hughes, lol.

And don't give me that "a GM has no say in the drafting!", for a top 10 pick you can at least put as much effort into it as posters on this board do.

Lol, if you guys were that honest with your own roster, if Hart is a 1A, Skinner is what? A 3C?

Barrie probably plays actual better defense better than Bouchard, your loss would come from the offense that he generates above and beyond Barrie.
Because if there's one thing Tyson Barrie is known for in his NHL career, it's sound defence!

The Athletic has Bouchard #8 on their Norris rankings, by the by. OFTDO.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
It's beyond stupid that Brett Kulak, a blatant liability to our matchup options defensive pairing wise and on on salary cap, is not the one being traded, while Broberg is.

Also lmfao at the Barrie suggestion. We literally watched our team improve leaps and bounds last year by replacing him and his sheltered ass with Ekholm, including the powerplay he was supposedly a key part of. Why would you want him back? "Sheltered veterans" like Barrie and Kulak do not belong on aspiring NHL contender rosters. Period.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
It's a good thing that Broberg has pushed the Oilers for a trade opportunity. He's withered on the vine as this organization tries to assert itself within a mature, window phase team chasing a Cup.

He'll go somewhere and get steady ice-time where he will develop over time into a second pair NHL d-man. The issue on this team is they needed an age 24-26 Broberg. I don't see the Oilers panic trading Broberg. They need to get a quality return because they have very little talent in the system.

Knoblauch had an interesting media avail recently where he gave his assessment of Broberg. Matheson's article here summarizes Knoblauch's impressions. Matheson: The clock is ticking on Edmonton Oilers' Philip Broberg

Generally, I put the overwhelming onus on players as responsible for their own development. Broberg hasn't done enough to definitively earn a regular spot on a window team (realistically that was going to be third pair for a couple years as opposed to goofiness thought that he could airlift into a second pair role) - he's not physically strong enough and not assertive in his play. His choice to play pro on a Swedish club team that was vested in winning not developing a teenage player whose rights they didn't hold. The chance to play big minutes in North America on a top junior club under team friendly Staios seems a missed opportunity in hindsight. But this team has poorly handled this player and several young guys failing in their need to build a quality, support pipeline for the veteran cup chasing team. There's nothing on the shelves for sustaining this team.

I wonder about a player like Dylan Guenther. Or his agent's client in Philadelphia, Morgan Frost.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It's beyond stupid that Brett Kulak, a blatant liability to our matchup options defensive pairing wise and on on salary cap, is not the one being traded, while Broberg is.

Also lmfao at the Barrie suggestion. We literally watched our team improve leaps and bounds last year by replacing him and his sheltered ass with Ekholm, including the powerplay he was supposedly a key part of. Why would you want him back? "Sheltered veterans" like Barrie and Kulak do not belong on aspiring NHL contender rosters. Period.

Playoff Kulak is a beast that would make little sense to drop from the line up for Broberg.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That's how bad Broberg is right now. Give him 5 minutes a night more and we are in even larger shambles.

Broberg's job this year was to over take him or Desharnais and it's hasn't happened.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

The Capitals were able to move on from Mike Green and win a Cup without him.
Yep, they IR’d him and then a guy named Ken Holland swooped in on July 1, offered him 3 year, 18million load of cash in free agency. Ken just didn’t realize he was cooked then, and then he doubled down on him again once he was in Edmonton. Good times!

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Playoff Kulak is a beast that would make little sense to drop from the line up for Broberg.
Playoff Kulak is a horrible hockey player who needs to be permanently playing against bottom 6 forwards. At least with Broberg you can do that for <1 million instead of 2.75 million. Sheltered veterans are unserious hockey players for unserious hockey teams.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's a good thing that Broberg has pushed the Oilers for a trade opportunity. He's withered on the vine as this organization tries to assert itself within a mature, window phase team chasing a Cup.

He'll go somewhere and get steady ice-time where he will develop over time into a second pair NHL d-man. The issue on this team is they needed an age 24-26 Broberg. I don't see the Oilers panic trading Broberg. They need to get a quality return because they have very little talent in the system.

Knoblauch had an interesting media avail recently where he gave his assessment of Broberg. Matheson's article here summarizes Knoblauch's impressions. Matheson: The clock is ticking on Edmonton Oilers' Philip Broberg

Generally, I put the overwhelming onus on players as responsible for their own development. Broberg hasn't done enough to definitively earn a regular spot on a window team (realistically that was going to be third pair for a couple years as opposed to goofiness thought that he could airlift into a second pair role) - he's not physically strong enough and not assertive in his play. But this team has poorly handled this player and several young guys failing in their need to build a quality, support pipeline for the veteran cup chasing team.

I wonder about a player like Dylan Guenther. Or his agent's client in Philadelphia, Morgan Frost.
Really curious what Broberg does in the off-season. Like he isn't showing improvements anywhere. Yet guys like Connor and Leon who have elite skillsets continue to work on their games every off-season.

Guenther I highly doubt is available. Frost however probably is. Question is do the Oilers have the cap room for him.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I’m now thinking that Broberg was a piece in the potential Elvis deal. Elvis deal leaves the building, Brobergs agent is like me too.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I’m now thinking that Broberg was a piece in the potential Elvis deal. Elvis deal leaves the building, Brobergs agent is like me too.
I don’t know that really makes any sense. Broberg wouldn’t be able to get into the Blue Jackets lineup anymore than he would Edmontons. Why would they want him?

Reactions: McTonyBrar

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Really curious what Broberg does in the off-season. Like he isn't showing improvements anywhere. Yet guys like Connor and Leon who have elite skillsets continue to work on their games every off-season.

Guenther I highly doubt is available. Frost however probably is. Question is do the Oilers have the cap room for him.
I don't think it really matters for him.

He was very obviously a guy who had trouble processing the game pre-draft and that's only been magnified the higher the level he plays at.

He's all physical tools and can't use them because his brain is three steps behind his feet.

Reactions: joestevens29

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Regular season Kulak so far this season looks fairly mediocre.
I agree. But so does the entire defence and now that’s stabilizing after Knob. So hard to say much based on the clown show we saw to start the year.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Also for the record I'm okay with swapping Broberg for a similar aged, similar upside young player who is struggling to find playtime. But we need to be doing everything in our power to ensure Brett Kulak is off the team ala Tyson Barrie last season. Getting rid of him would lead to a similar "teamwide buff" in terms of deployment options and place lower stress on our top guys in terms of matchups.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't think it really matters for him.

He was very obviously a guy who had trouble processing the game pre-draft and that's only been magnified the higher the level he plays at.

He's all physical tools and can't use them because his brain is three steps behind his feet.
There are still coaches to help with that. Oates was a guy that worked with a lot of guys to teach them some of the smaller things of the game to help guys.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don’t know that really makes any sense. Broberg wouldn’t be able to get into the Blue Jackets lineup anymore than he would Edmontons. Why would they want him?

Hmm good point. Are they really full up on the Left side? Also, they are still teetering on the fence between being a rebuilding team or a playoff bubble team. So in that sense maybe they’d take a look at someone young with potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad