Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | We Lose and No Trades Are Made, We Win and No Trades Are Made

Status
Not open for further replies.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
You see this, IMO, is exactly what was wrong with our organization.

The old-skool, dinosaur version of roster management said Broberg would need to usurp Kulak before getting game time. Fine, merit is worthwhile in a vacuum.

but we are in a cap squeeze, and we knew coming into the season the following facts.. that in order to be a true contender:
1) we would need a better #2RD
2) we needed a better goalie (yes, we ALL knew this coming in, hope and cope aside)
3) ideally we could use a #3 shutdown center, and most importantly
4) there was zero chance we could afford ANY of that unless we shed salary and banked it for the deadline

And there was Broberg, desperately needing playing time so we could battle test him, sporting a $1M salary relative to Kulak (or Ceci)'s ~$3M salary.

That $2M delta could have become $9M by the deadline AND we'd have a better sense of whether Broberg would sink or swim. And who knows, with confidence and a few bumps along the way, he could be part of the solution for #1 above (he plays both sides).

And here we are... asset value destroyed (yes, that still might have happened anyway) and no cap space accrued. Painted ourselves into a corner yet again!

Does anyone think that Kulak vs Broberg had us losing more games this season than we already have?
Very well said.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Okay I’ll bite. How does getting rid out Kulak improve our deployment options and place lower stress on our top guys?
It opens up some of the salary required to add an impactful RD. That RD pushes Kulak off of the PK. Kulak is a luxury.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Ok, my proposal:

To Edm: Reimer + Kostin
To Det: Campbell + Broberg

Why does Detroit do it? They have a three-headed goalie issue. Swedish D connection Seider-Broberg. Cost controlled and waiver eligible D. Will likely have to sit Kostin once Kane plays. Buy out Campbell in the off-season.

Why does Edm do it? Reliable veteran goalie to shelter Skinner this year and UFA. Get out of terrible Campbell contract and bring back Kostin who was a big part of our team mojo and had the best interviews.

No picks necessary. Our D depth is depleted but we save some picks and get some cap back for grabbing a RD at the deadline.
What is everyone’s love for Kostin? Yes he was decent as a league min forward but at 2 per he just isn’t worth it IMO

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I’m was never high on Broberg and don’t think he’s much of a prospect. But I agree that we never saw him with confidence and he probably should have been matriculating in the AHL this whole time. Whether he turns out after that I have much doubt, but if the plan of slowly making him the new Klefbom was ever going to work they needed to let this kid have some chance of gaining confidence. And he was doing just that in the AHL before we pulled him out to warm the benches for the big team.
He showed potential as early as one month into his first year in North America. As an injury recall player he played big minutes in Las Vegas and kept his head above water. Then again, a 20+ minute game at RD that spring in a stretch drive pressure cooker game in Calgary. The issue is this team's weak d-corp needed (and still needs) veteran upgrades to align with the forward elites primed for a window phase Cup chase. The necessity for Ekholm blocked the left side and pushed Broberg to his non-shooting side at RD.

Was never a Klefbom player. Only a similar career path as Swedish prospects. The critical difference is Klefbom onboarded a failing organization that could afford to live with his development needs with regular ice-time. Broberg's stuck in neutral on a team expecting to run at Cups and even more slipping backwards as this year's team has already burned through its head coach and no safety net for losing games. Playing a guy 5-8 minutes per game is a recipe for failing the player and without confidence and room to play and develop consistency of play a player will not believe in his ability to help a team to succeed. Oilers need to plug in cheap support guys but it is these players that coaches have not trusted and repeat cycles of lack of confidence and marginal play.

Reactions: Oilhawks

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It opens up some of the salary required to add an impactful RD. That RD pushes Kulak off of the PK. Kulak is a luxury.
Luxury? Is it not necessary to have a viable NHL defenceman (a good one at that during the playoffs) on the 3rd pair? Coffey's going to want 3 effective pairs and is working towards building that. Save money on Kulak (he's not even that expensive) just opens up holes.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He showed potential as early as one month into his first year in North America. As an injury recall player he played big minutes in Las Vegas and kept his head above water. Then again, a 20+ minute game at RD that spring in a stretch drive pressure cooker game in Calgary. The issue is this team's weak d-corp needed (and still needs) veteran upgrades to align with the forward elites primed for a window phase Cup chase. The necessity for Ekholm blocked the left side and pushed Broberg to his non-shooting side at RD.

Was never a Klefbom player. Only a similar career path as Swedish prospects. The critical difference is Klefbom onboarded a failing organization that could afford to live with his development needs with regular ice-time. Broberg's stuck in neutral on a team expecting to run at Cups and even more slipping backwards as this year's team has already burned through its head coach and no safety net for losing games. Playing a guy 5-8 minutes per game is a recipe for failing the player and without confidence and room to play and develop consistency of play a player will not believe in his ability to help a team to succeed. Oilers need to plug in cheap support guys but it is these players that coaches have not trusted and repeat cycles of lack of confidence and marginal play.
This was never an ideal spot for him considering our Cup contention needs, I agree on that take. That said, Broberg never showed enough to put himself in the Kulak replacement conversation despite the flashes he showed here and there which I never found impressive. If Broberg played better the Oilers would be falling over themselves to give him a spot for cheap and save the cap space. He didn't provide any confidence on that front though so the lack of ice time followed.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I'm not here to make friends with the players or fanboy over them, McDavid is already here, the rest of the group I look at clinically and with zero emotion.

What wins more hockey games and has a better chance of going further in the playoffs in the longer term

A) Carter Hart @6 mill extended + Tyson Barrie on a cheap 2.75 mill-3 mill deal + 1st 2024 now being able to be spent on another D-Man upgrade

B) Evan Bouchard @8.5-9 million + having to use the 1st 2024 on a lesser than Hart goalie + having to find a good RD still

IMO it's A, all day.

Barrie will replace a big chunk of Bouchard's offence for a few more years, Hart gives you a franchise tier goalie who is still young, and now that 1st could land another defenceman that can help the team as well.
lol right

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
This was never an ideal spot for him considering our Cup contention needs, I agree on that take. That said, Broberg never showed enough to put himself in the Kulak replacement conversation despite the flashes he showed here and there which I never found impressive. If Broberg played better the Oilers would be falling over themselves to give him a spot for cheap and save the cap space. He didn't provide any confidence on that front though so the lack of ice time followed.
A window team was never going to run a deeply in-experienced third pair d-corp of Broberg and Desharnais. That's simply ripe to be exposed by other teams and a detriment for a window phase team. Instead pushing a round peg into a square hole, they opted to push Broberg to a weak RD where this team's greater need for size, physicality, cycle breaking and net front support has landed with a mature Desharnais.

Again the Oilers have blown through their safety net, and although Kulak has been pretty mediocre this year, I personally doubt this team flushes a veteran defender to hope Broberg will stabilize with consistent minutes and play. Strudwick has compared Broberg to a Boewmeester type game which has driven by a simple, position based defending game; strong skating; and safe, smart play. I kind of agree with this assessment. But I also think he will grow into a solid middle pair defenseman ... just not on this team and its stage of trying to compete for deep playoffs.

Onboarding as NHL defensemen takes longer, development is not a linear process, and is damn hard.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I feel like people are so used to the Oilers having a terrible bottom pair that they think they're tough to find. Meanwhile most of the league are picking up quality third pair guys on waivers.

Both Kulak and Broberg should have been moved ages ago.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
A window team was never going to run a deeply in-experienced third pair d-corp of Broberg and Desharnais. That's simply ripe to be exposed by other teams and a detriment for a window phase team. Instead pushing a round peg into a square hole, they opted to push Broberg to a weak RD where this team's greater need for size, physicality, cycle breaking and net front support has landed with a mature Desharnais.

Again the Oilers have blown through their safety net, and although Kulak has been pretty mediocre this year, I personally doubt this team flushes a veteran defender to hope Broberg will stabilize with consistent minutes and play. Strudwick has compared Broberg to a Boewmeester type game which has driven by a simple, position based defending game; strong skating; and safe, smart play. I kind of agree with this assessment. But I also think he will grow into a solid middle pair defenseman ... just not on this team and its stage of trying to compete for deep playoffs.

Onboarding as NHL defensemen takes longer, development is not a linear process, and is damn hard.
Yeh I agree, not an ideal spot for Broberg. I can see the Boewmeister comparison but I don't quite buy it. The skating and range are a match. But the comparison falls apart when taking into account Bowmeester's physicality and hockey IQ. We'll see how he turns out, after many years and maybe two more organizations I can see him be a mostly mediocre 2nd pair guy but nothing special.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Luxury? Is it not necessary to have a viable NHL defenceman (a good one at that during the playoffs) on the 3rd pair? Coffey's going to want 3 effective pairs and is working towards building that. Save money on Kulak (he's not even that expensive) just opens up holes.
A $2.75m luxury on the bottom pair. Yes.

Assuming the RD the Oilers add at the deadline is one that kills penalties effectively, Kulak drops to #5 in the pecking order on the PK.

Is he a better option than a league minimum replacement or a developing prospect getting an opportunity? Sure. But his salary also means that your depth is lacking in another area of the roster.

I don't find it overly necessary to have a veteran bottom pair D protecting no one.

Reactions: McDoused

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
A $2.75m luxury on the bottom pair. Yes.

Assuming the RD the Oilers add at the deadline is one that kills penalties effectively, Kulak drops to #5 in the pecking order on the PK.

Is he a better option than a league minimum replacement or a developing prospect getting an opportunity? Sure. But his salary also means that your depth is lacking in another area of the roster.

I don't find it overly necessary to have a veteran bottom pair D protecting no one.
We're already cheaping out with VD as a regular on our defence. Ceci moonlighting as a top pair at times is cheaping out too. I shudder to think how bad our D would be if we cheaped out on Kulak's spot too but that's me. And Playoffs Beast Kulak is real. The value he brings in the playoffs starts making that 2.75M look more than reasonable.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Stauffer says the Broberg situation is fluid and maybe there is a resolution to it quickly

Escott just took over randomly. Apparently Bob Medi Chicken got “busy”?

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Stauffer just said Holland denied the leak lol. He hasn’t given poermission for agent to seek trade. And Brobergs agent says he wanted to handle this privately.

Thanks a lot Weekes, f***in fake insider wasting our time.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Rishaug just tweeted that Holland said they didn’t give Broberg’s agent any right to shop him. His agent just tweeted back and said he’s collaborating with Holland to move him. He says Broberg is not happy and very upset at how he’s been treated.

Oh boy
So if you're smart as Iam lol, this reeks of Jackson giving permission and Holland saying f*** off, iam still te GM.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

giphy.gif

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Rishaug just tweeted that Holland said they didn’t give Broberg’s agent any right to shop him. His agent just tweeted back and said he’s collaborating with Holland to move him. He says Broberg is not happy and very upset at how he’s been treated.

Oh boy

Broberg has shown absolutely nothing in the show. 100% entitled baby. Show us something and you will get more ice time plain and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad