Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | We Lose and No Trades Are Made, We Win and No Trades Are Made

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't get why Philly is even entertaining trading Hart at this point. I'm not a huge fan as arpreggio points out he could shit the bed again like he has been doing, but Philly is in a playoff position. Doesn't make sense to why they would deal him.

Reactions: RegDunlop

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Are we in the business of winning hockey games or "seeing how many points Evan Bouchard can score"?

A Carter Hart is a bigger impact to this franchise long term than Evan Bouchard is IMO. Goalies like that win games and even playoff rounds, Evan Bouchards ... not really. Hart is only a year older than Bouchard.

Tyson Barrie in our system will put up 70% of the same offence anyway. We know he already has chemistry with other players here and can step in and run the PP no problem.
Something tells me Carter Hart is just a slightly upgraded Skinner. I could be off in my scouting. I see a lot of weak goals with Hart.

Reactions: RegDunlop

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Anyone actually know what “Letting a players camp seek a trade” even means? Like I get an agent can determine who’s interested in their client. But I doubt another team is discussing the trade details with the agent.
I THINK what this probably means is that Broberg was shopped. No teams were interested. Agent thinks he can do a better job of selling Broberg's value than Kenny can and Kenny was like okay go ahead then. So the Agent then merely finds the interested party for Kenny but the actual wheeling and dealing or asks are still in Kenny's hands. Like the agent will say St. Louis has interest, then Kenny takes it from there and tells St. Louis the cost and does the negotions himself (god help us).

Reactions: K1984

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Something tells me Carter Hart is just a slightly upgraded Skinner. I could be off in my scouting. I see a lot of weak goals with Hart.

Skinner moves like a dump truck in net laterally and has limited athleticism. He makes a 40 year old Mike Smith look spry.

Hart is closer to a Demko tier guy. He actually has high end talent I feel, he's just been stuck on bad teams.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

oilcountry17

Aug 27, 2007
edmonton
Come on Kenny/Jackson make a trade already
SJ Blackwood and Rutta for Campbell and Broberg and a 1st
CLB Elvis and Bjork for Campbell and Broberg and a 1st and a 3rd (2025)

Our drafting is bad even on the first round recognize it and use it to make our team better right now.

Reactions: McDoused

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'm not sold on Hart either. I see a whole lot of hype but not much to say he's a sure fire bet that should return a haul. He's a question mark as most young goalies are. That being said, this is an uninformed opinion, I haven't seen much tape on him so I should probably just stop talking...

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
What a bunch of crap. Broberg can rot in the AHL. He hasn’t put in the time to pick and choose.

I’m so sick of this crap, there’s thousands of good ol Canadian boys who would jump at the chance to be in his shoes. He can f*** right off back to Sweden.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I THINK what this probably means is that Broberg was shopped. No teams were interested. Agent thinks he can do a better job of selling Broberg's value than Kenny can and Kenny was like okay go ahead then. So the Agent then merely finds the interested party for Kenny but the actual wheeling and dealing or asks are still in Kenny's hands. Like the agent will say St. Louis has interest, then Kenny takes it from there and tells St. Louis the cost and does the negotions himself (god help us).
Well the last time this happened it was with St.Louis and Yakupov. Which lead us to Skinner.

So maybe this can work out.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I watched every minute of every playoff game, Bouchard was crap defensively.

Great on the PP, but a total non-factor other than a liability defensively outside of that.

The plus minus just reflects that.

In the longer term, can we even keep this player? Yes he puts up point totals, but you're also going to pay dearly for that. His next extension which isn't far off will start with an 8, quite possibly a 9.

Where are you getting the money to pay him that and extend Draisaitl, AND find money for a legit starting goalie and upgrade the D?

If you can sell high on him now and get a young franchise goalie and then get a half decent offensive D for nothing in Barrie who already fits well with the group, it should be considered IMO.
"I watched every minute" Who's to say you're a reliable witness? I've never seen you post anything that makes me think you're an astute observer of the game.

Bouchard is 23 and just had one of the best offensive playoff performances for defencemen in recent years. The only two defencemen that have more playoff points than he does in the last two seasons have both won Norris trophies.

If Bouchard is worth 8-9 million at the end of his current deal, that's a good problem to have.

Where are you finding money to add 8.5 million worth of Barrie and Hart when you're only sending Bouchard back? Money is going to be a problem no matter what. I'd rather keep the elite young offensive defenceman and address the goaltending some other way rather than do a retread on Barrie and hitch our wagon to an all - Schwartz goaltending tandem.

Reactions: frag2

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'm not here to make friends with the players or fanboy over them, McDavid is already here, the rest of the group I look at clinically and with zero emotion.

What wins more hockey games and has a better chance of going further in the playoffs in the longer term

A) Carter Hart @6 mill extended + Tyson Barrie on a cheap 2.75 mill-3 mill deal + 1st 2024 now being able to be spent on another D-Man upgrade

B) Evan Bouchard @8.5-9 million + having to use the 1st 2024 on a lesser than Hart goalie + having to find a good RD still

IMO it's A, all day.

Barrie will replace a big chunk of Bouchard's offence for a few more years, Hart gives you a franchise tier goalie who is still young, and now that 1st could land another defenceman that can help the team as well.
Well I can't say cause I'm not sold on Hart like you are, but I will admit I haven't watched him much either. Still though, whatever the return for Bouch will be, it's going to be higher the longer we let him prove he's the offensive stud that we know him to be. The league needs to have this impression too, and right now he doesn't have the reputation to get a maximized return.

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
Anyone actually know what “Letting a players camp seek a trade” even means? Like I get an agent can determine who’s interested in their client. But I doubt another team is discussing the trade details with the agent.
It means Holland sucks at his job.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

I think this was asked on 32 Thoughts maybe last week. It's more the agent gaging how much interest in the rest of the NHL teams have in their client and trying to sell the idea of the player to them. Why this isn't part of the job description of GMs is beyond me.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Well the last time this happened it was with St.Louis and Yakupov. Which lead us to Skinner.

So maybe this can work out.
Interesting point. But it'll depend how they spend that draft pick... if Wright was at the helm it's probably thrown into the trash. Remains to be seen what Pracey can do.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well I can't say cause I'm not sold on Hart like you are, but I will admit I haven't watched him much either. Still though, whatever the return for Bouch will be, it's going to be higher the longer we let him prove he's the offensive stud that we know him to be. The league needs to have this impression too, and right now he doesn't have the reputation to get a maximized return.

How many of these can you honestly, truthfully say Skinner would save. Maybe 3/10? All of the goals where Hart is moving laterally would be in the back of the net against Skinner.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
What a bunch of crap. Broberg can rot in the AHL. He hasn’t put in the time to pick and choose.

I’m so sick of this crap, there’s thousands of good ol Canadian boys who would jump at the chance to be in his shoes. He can f*** right off back to Sweden.
True. Like what's wrong with developing in the AHL and getting your chance when you deserve it. He hasn't shown to deserve anything and now he's demanding ice time or trade me. Like f*** right off, it's a privilege to be in this League.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think this was asked on 32 Thoughts maybe last week. It's more the agent gaging how much interest in the rest of the NHL teams have in their client and trying to sell the idea of the player to them. Why this isn't part of the job description of GMs is beyond me.
I mean it is, but sometimes an agent has to hear it for himself.

I'm sure damn near every team in the league would have interest in Broberg. Barely over min salary and can go to the minors. Also has draft pedigree. Regardless where people may think he should've went he was ranked as a top half of the first round by many going into the draft.

Problem is the agent needs to realize the Oilers aren't just going to give him away for a 6th round pick. He has more value in the minors to us than that 6th round pick right now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
"I watched every minute" Who's to say you're a reliable witness? I've never seen you post anything that makes me think you're an astute observer of the game.

Bouchard is 23 and just had one of the best offensive playoff performances for defencemen in recent years. The only two defencemen that have more playoff points than he does in the last two seasons have both won Norris trophies.

If Bouchard is worth 8-9 million at the end of his current deal, that's a good problem to have.

Where are you finding money to add 8.5 million worth of Barrie and Hart when you're only sending Bouchard back? Money is going to be a problem no matter what. I'd rather keep the elite young offensive defenceman and address the goaltending some other way rather than do a retread on Barrie and hitch our wagon to an all - Schwartz goaltending tandem.

You mean like how 80% of this board ragged on me for saying the Connor Brown contract was going to be a disaster, and now most of you realize why I was upset when it was signed?

Bouchard at 8-9 million is not a good problem to have because you have to find another 4-5-6 million dollar player to actually cover for him and play defense for him. You're going to be paying a premium for something this team doesn't have a huge problem with ... scoring points.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

How many of these can you honestly, truthfully say Skinner would save. Maybe 3/10? All of the goals where Hart is moving laterally would be in the back of the net against Skinner.

I'll take a look later. I will say I'm not high on Skinner's athleticism or lateral ability either, your preaching to the choir on that front. But I do believe in his Positioning and overall calm demeanor which I've always though lent to consistency and I believe that he can get better. So Skinner is an easy keep for me, but that's not what we are talking about, we are talking about if we should go essentially all in on Hart to be the 1A to Skinner's 1B. I'll watch some tape and tell you how I view it in a bit. I haven't at this point cause there's not really a credible rumor that we can even get Hart so haven't bothered.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You mean like how 80% of this board ragged on me for saying the Connor Brown contract was going to be a disaster, and now most of you realize why I was upset when it was signed?

Bouchard at 8-9 million is not a good problem to have because you have to find another 4-5-6 million dollar player to actually cover for him and play defense for him. You're going to be paying a premium for something this team doesn't have a huge problem with ... scoring points.
and you think trading him now instead of after he's put up back to back 70+ point seasons is good asset management? Because it's not. He's still an RFA after these two years.

And this team absolutely had a big problem scoring points earlier this season prior to McDavid waking up. It's not easy, and it's not going to be easy to replace Bouchard - certainly not by a fading Tyson Barrie.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Thing is, I'd argue Broberg is a 1st, and if they want a sweetener, I'd give them a 3rd at best. I know Campbell is a gamble, but so is Elvis.
You could argue that all you want. But Broberg is closer to bust than he is a 1st.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I think Soundwave is wrong about a lot lately, but I tend to agree with him on Hart versus Skinner and Evan Bouchard in the long-term.

Hart and Skinner are of similar production levels and age, but Hart is the better athlete and maybe is the better 1A to build around if you're Edmonton. He's right that Skinner moves laterally like a senior in traction. I still think they'd need to pursue a veteran 1B - Hart has been very inconsistent. But that seems like one of the few sensible upgrades you COULD pursue and not have it be a complete fantasy. Like, I don't know where Philadelphia is with Hart right now so I guess I can't say that.

As for Bouchard, the problem is it's tough to balance a top-4 with both he and Nurse. They both add big time upside to your team (Bouchard may well score 80 points this year), but both have critical errors in their games. Even if you want to keep trying because Bouchard offensive push is extremely rare, the salary demands are going to be difficult to manage in the long term.

It's possible there is something around Walker, Laughton and Hart & Skinner and Bouchard. I don't know where the salary stuff makes sense or where value needs to be added. I think Hart carries more value than Skinner, and I think Bouchard is individually worth more than Walker or Laughton (and has more appeal as a build around), but there's something there to figure out maybe.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Here you go again with highlight reels.

What’s Alex Mikhnov up to I wonder.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
and you think trading him now instead of after he's put up back to back 70+ point seasons is good asset management? Because it's not. He's still an RFA after these two years.

And this team absolutely had a big problem scoring points earlier this season prior to McDavid waking up. It's not easy, and it's not going to be easy to replace Bouchard - certainly not by a fading Tyson Barrie.

Depends on what you're getting. A 20-something franchise potential goalie who can be in that tier of top goalies in the league like a Demko?

Sure yeah, I would consider that strongly.

How many games did Bouchard win this team this year when McDavid was hurt? Maybe the Seattle game where he was a big impact maker I think, but for that game there's easily 2-3 other games where he was a complete tire fire in his own zone and a major reason we lost.

The Capitals were able to move on from Mike Green and win a Cup without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad