Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | We Lose and No Trades Are Made, We Win and No Trades Are Made

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Rishaug just tweeted that Holland said they didn’t give Broberg’s agent any right to shop him. His agent just tweeted back and said he’s collaborating with Holland to move him. He says Broberg is not happy and very upset at how he’s been treated.

Oh boy

Lol can’t you just post the tweet.

Anyways, if I was Brobergs agent I’d be pissed that my Top 10 draft pay day sucks balls too.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
lol right

What that means is I don't give a f*** about any of these players really outside of McDavid and Draisaitl. Maybe Hyman gets some points for working his ass off.

But I would trade any and every player on this roster if it moves the team closer to winning in the playoffs for a reasonably sized window and not lose any sleep over it.

I'd be open to trading Ekholm, Bouchard, Nurse, Kane, RNH, Skinner, Holloway, Bourgault, any of those guys if it's something that had to be done to take the roster to another level, pending their NTCs/NMCs of course.

Has nothing to do with liking them as people or fanboying over any of those guys.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I think it's a moot point if it's confirmed by Holland or not. Clearly there's enough of a problem where some version of the story leaked to the media, and it's pretty unlikely it changes the outcome of a trade in the next week.

Holland is probably mad someone woke him up from his 10 am to 6 pm nap.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

giphy.gif

Grandpa Holland's 2023 off-season of winning continues.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Broberg has shown absolutely nothing in the show. 100% entitled baby. Show us something and you will get more ice time plain and simple.
Yes he did actually. Stauffer said that 6-1 win over Nashville he had around 16 minutes in ice time and he had a great second half of the game. It looked he had gained confidence. Then, next game, f***ing Vinny was put in by Woodcroft and then back to the press box. It sounds like he was upset at how he got treated after that.

Do you blame him? I'd be so f***ing pissed

Reactions: Duke74 and ujju2

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
So what does Brobergs agent want here? Does he think Broberg should be given minutes in the AHL? Good we can agree on that send his ass down.

Does he think that Broberg deserves NHL ice time? f*** right off, he hasn’t earned shit.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Luxury? Is it not necessary to have a viable NHL defenceman (a good one at that during the playoffs) on the 3rd pair? Coffey's going to want 3 effective pairs and is working towards building that. Save money on Kulak (he's not even that expensive) just opens up holes.
Brett Kulak is not a viable NHL playoff defenseman. Brett Kulak is a matchup liability in the playoffs that puts unnecessary strain on the top 4 and is a large reason why he was benched halfway through Montreal's finals run. He only "looks good" because your mistakes and bad plays aren't punished by the Keegan Kolesars of the world.

• Haha
Reactions: CycloneSweep

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
A window team was never going to run a deeply in-experienced third pair d-corp of Broberg and Desharnais. That's simply ripe to be exposed by other teams and a detriment for a window phase team. Instead pushing a round peg into a square hole, they opted to push Broberg to a weak RD where this team's greater need for size, physicality, cycle breaking and net front support has landed with a mature Desharnais.

Again the Oilers have blown through their safety net, and although Kulak has been pretty mediocre this year, I personally doubt this team flushes a veteran defender to hope Broberg will stabilize with consistent minutes and play. Strudwick has compared Broberg to a Boewmeester type game which has driven by a simple, position based defending game; strong skating; and safe, smart play. I kind of agree with this assessment. But I also think he will grow into a solid middle pair defenseman ... just not on this team and its stage of trying to compete for deep playoffs.

Onboarding as NHL defensemen takes longer, development is not a linear process, and is damn hard.
This is a good point and it played a major role in Brobergs deployment.
I am not as down on Broberg as most. I see a player that just doesnt have his confidence at the NHL level. I expect he will fix that issue but it wont be here.
I also see him as a 2nd pairing dman once he figures things out..

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

You could see this coming

Management wants this player to pan out, so he's on the roster. Coaching wants a player that can make an impact, so Kulak plays while Broberg rides the pine. If management wanted the coaching staff to play Broberg, they should have traded Kulak instead of leaving Broberg to sit on the bench stewing while getting maybe 2 - 7 minutes a night. This 7 defensemen nonsense was stupid when Woodcroft was doing it, and it's stupid when KK is doing it, and management is stupid for creating this situation in the first place.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This is why I don't think the Oilers can afford to keep Bouchard long term if he has sky high offensive numbers. Hypothetical roster 2 years from now assuming Draisaitl even agrees to stay ...

1LW (4) McDavid (12.5) Hyman (5.5)
RNH (5.125) Draisaitl (13) Holloway? (2.5)
3LW (1.5) 3C (2.4) Bourgault (0.9)
4LW (1) 4C (1.5) 4RW (1)
13FW (1)
=51.95

Nurse (9.25) RD (5)
Ekholm (6) Bouchard (8.8)
3LDef (2) 3RDef (3)
Akey (0.9)
=34.95

Actual Goalie (5.5)
Skinner (2.6)
=8.1

Campbell Buy Out (2.3 mill)

= 97.4 million

That's even with Evander Kane dumped off the roster ... this team is likely like 5 million over that projected 92 million cap (per Capfriendly.com). You're basically banking on Nurse + Bouchard being guys who can push a team to a Cup when they are both prone to being liabilities but paid through the roof.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You could see this coming

Management wants this player to pan out, so he's on the roster. Coaching wants a player that can make an impact, so Kulak plays while Broberg rides the pine. If management wanted the coaching staff to play Broberg, they should have traded Kulak instead of leaving Broberg to sit on the bench stewing while getting maybe 2 - 7 minutes a night. This 7 defensemen nonsense was stupid when Woodcroft was doing it, and it's stupid when KK is doing it, and management is stupid for creating this situation in the first place.
I see this more about Deharnais taking Brobergs minutes.

Reactions: Duke74 and ujju2

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

Followed by Ken doing this..

No thanks to Kostin! He wanted the money so he can sit on it.
I prefer to live in the now and look forward.
Who f***ing cares about free agency last summer right now. I don’t even care about October at this point. That ship sailed, hit a bad storm, washed up on some rocks and now we’re trying to patch the holes in the hull and get sailing again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad