Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | The Road to the Draft June 28th & 29th Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
In a bizarro universe Columbus selects JP and Edmonton makes this trade.
That was not the trade it was Draisaitl + 4th overall 2016 + Klefbom & Nurse + something significant and we wouldn't get MTL's 9th overall in 2016 as suggested in Weekes tweet. Friedman got most of the breakdown after the fact.

It seems like MTL was hard set on getting a franchise d-man back in Weber, so they just asked for the moon from us, an entirely non-serious proposal.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Bad analogy man.

Holland is paid 5 million to put a cup winning lineup around 2 generational players.

4 years into his tenure , is it acceptable to have a rookie goaltender as your starter and an overpaid cast-off as your backup?

The Oilers main priority is to fix the ability to shut opponents down. Not to outscore them 7-6.

5 million. Fix it Holland.
Its obvious from your post you understand a big part of the problem
and maybe you understand that Holland has the ability and the assets to work the fix.
But i would argue that Holland has neither the cranberries or the vision to do so...maybe you know this too and are just 'frustrated'.
You sir are howling at the moon....and i commiserate with you. I want to howl too and have done so on many occaisions.
But no matter how much you prod him ....

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Bad analogy man.

Holland is paid 5 million to put a cup winning lineup around 2 generational players.

4 years into his tenure , is it acceptable to have a rookie goaltender as your starter and an overpaid cast-off as your backup?
M and fans
The Oilers main priority is to fix the ability to shut opponents down. Not to outscore them 7-6.

5 million. Fix it Holland.
Vegas just won with 2 rookie goalies. Most ppl thought they were gonna miss the playoffs b/c of that. St Louis won a cup a couple years ago w/ a rookie goalie

Oh, but the excuses were..those teams have Pietrangelo. That team has Theodore

Last I checked Holland got Ekholm, who came in this year and finished the year as one of the top 10 dmen in the league

Oilers are sitting in a good spot ATM. Step back from the ledge perhaps.

Hilarious tho. Goalies like Logan Thompson and Oetinger ppl salivate over cuz of half a good year, yet Skinner is likely the closest to winning a calder since any goalie from who knows when...and this fanbase treats him like he's a leper.

Last edited:

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Vegas just won with 2 rookie goalies. Most ppl thought they were gonna miss the playoffs b/c of that. St Louis won a cup a couple years ago w/ a rookie goalie

Last I checked Holland got Ekholm, who came in this year and finished the year as one of the top 10 dmen in the league

Hilarious tho. Goalies like Logan Thompson and Oetinger ppl salivate over cuz of half a good year, yet Skinner is likely the closest to winning a calder since any goalie from who knows when...and this fanbase treats him like he's a leper.
It's not Skinners fault he is expected to lead a team to the cup in his rookie season. However the Oilers D doesn't compare to Vegas or the Blues man. Not even close. 1 to 5. We have maybe 1 or 2 defenseman who can actually defend ?

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Now that the Avs tied their wagon to Johansen it would be something to land Compher. That would give the Oil a big push. Underrated player.

Before someone says we can't afford it. I know.

We can't afford to add good players.
I have always liked Compher as a depth player

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
It's not Skinners fault he is expected to lead a team to the cup in his rookie season. However the Oilers D doesn't compare to Vegas or the Blues man. Not even close. 1 to 5. We have maybe 1 or 2 defenseman who can actually defend ?
What? How does this last bit of your post have any logic behind it?

Reactions: capazzo

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

He played his worst hockey at the most important time. He absolutely needs to be blasted for that. He did not have one bad game he had about 3 good games and a host of terrible games in the playoffs.

If you get the kind of goaltending he gave us you are not winning no matter who you have in front of him.

A huge amount of blame also has to go to the coach who refused to make a change in this 'hot and cold' goaltender world.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Given the tightness of the cap finding our equivalent of a Devon Toews, McKenzie Weegar, or Vince Dunn would be really helpful right now. Anyone got an inkling or prediction for the next d-man to go from zero to hero.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Given the tightness of the cap finding our equivalent of a Devon Toews, McKenzie Weegar, or Vince Dunn would be really helpful right now. Anyone got an inkling or prediction for the next d-man to go from zero to hero.

Who knows, maybe he's already in the system but we just don't know it yet. Broberg had good campaign last year and excelled against softer competition. Ekholm was on Oilers now a little over week ago and says he believes he's going to be a great dman. It looks like it's just a mental thing with him now playing not lose instead playing to win. Give the kid some games in the A then call him up to wreak havoc on the league.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
There's almost zero chance the oilers 'pro' scouts have a clue.
That group of scouts has been mostly turned over in the past few years.

The current group has identified and helped bring in, amongst other transactions:
Klim Kostin
Brett Kulak
Nick Bjugstad
Mattias Eckholm (although Mr Magoo could have identified this as a win)

I can’t rag on the pro scouts since they moved out folks like Archie Henderson, Morley Gare etc..

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
That group of scouts has been mostly turned over in the past few years.

The current group has identified and helped bring in, amongst other transactions:
Klim Kostin
Brett Kulak
Nick Bjugstad
Mattias Eckholm (although Mr Magoo could have identified this as a win)

I can’t rag on the pro scouts since they moved out folks like Archie Henderson, Morley Gare etc..
It's weird. Our pro scouts took a huge step forward but our amateur scouts took a big step back.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
It's weird. Our pro scouts took a huge step forward but our amateur scouts took a big step back.
Yes. The amateur group structure is definitely in need of a review. The fact that an NHL org doesn’t have a defined, specific scout for the OHL should be reason alone for a Belushi-like raised eyebrow.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Who knows, maybe he's already in the system but we just don't know it yet. Broberg had good campaign last year and excelled against softer competition. Ekholm was on Oilers now a little over week ago and says he believes he's going to be a great dman. It looks like it's just a mental thing with him now playing not lose instead playing to win. Give the kid some games in the A then call him up to wreak havoc on the league.
What did you expect him to say when asked directly about a teammate, it was a dumb question followed by the standard reply. That being said I think its Broberg's make or break year, and there is definitely some talent there.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Am I crazy for thinking that LA really doesn’t become much better with this trade?

PLD is massively, massively overrated in my opinion.
Points wise this year Villardi was the same as Dubois last year (very close rate) so this feels like spending assets to slightly accelerate Villardis progress. Which feels really dumb.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Points wise this year Villardi was the same as Dubois last year (very close rate) so this feels like spending assets to slightly accelerate Villardis progress. Which feels really dumb.

Especially when PLD’s give a shit level is pretty uncertain and uneven. I could easily see him be a guy that takes his foot off the gas the second he signs the 8 year retirement deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad