Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | The Road to the Draft June 28th & 29th Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Depends on what he can get for Yamo with maybe adding something to him.
Depends on what/who actually makes it to free agency.....for example Eric Haula....likely Jersey resigns him ....but who knows for sure.
The Konecny thing very unlikely. RW is something he likely trades for and while Konecny would be something we all like to see ...he needs money for other needs first. Most likely he gets a vet RD for the third pair first... quite a number of good one will make it to UFA and leaves the Nurse complement D till after Xmas when LTir is Likely.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Depends on what he can get for Yamo with maybe adding something to him.
Depends on what/who actually makes it to free agency.....for example Eric Haula....likely Jersey resigns him ....but who knows for sure.
The Konecny thing very unlikely. RW is something he likely trades for and while Konecny would be something we all like to see ...he needs money for other needs first. Most likely he gets a vet RD for the third pair first... quite a number of good one will make it to UFA and leaves the Nurse complement D till after Xmas when LTir is Likely.
I cannot see another NHL team giving up ANY worthwhile asset for Yamamoto. His production and game could easily be replaced by any league-minimum / low salary player like a Shore or Ryan or by a cheaper AHL contibutor like a Holloway. There's any number of guys that could equal his production if given HIS opportunity. The fact his salary is WAYYYYY too high makes him a net negative, and a primo buyout candidate. If he is replaced by Connor Brown FA, then that is a win, though does that really fix the D or G issues?

I also don't see any scenario where the goaltending issue is fixed. Hope that Skinner AND Campbell improve I guess. Locked in to Campbell now.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The Oilers are contenders minus the goalies. I said this going into the playoffs and we won't get win anything with Skinner. It doesn't matter what we do to the forwards or defense. The goalie was what sank the ship. If Holland doesn't bring a goalie like Saros or similar calibre, the next season is a write off

Reactions: TKB21 and Beerfish

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I cannot see another NHL team giving up ANY worthwhile asset for Yamamoto. His production and game could easily be replaced by any league-minimum / low salary player like a Shore or Ryan or by a cheaper AHL contibutor like a Holloway. There's any number of guys that could equal his production if given HIS opportunity. The fact his salary is WAYYYYY too high makes him a net negative, and a primo buyout candidate. If he is replaced by Connor Brown FA, then that is a win, though does that really fix the D or G issues?

I also don't see any scenario where the goaltending issue is fixed. Hope that Skinner AND Campbell improve I guess. Locked in to Campbell now.
I don't think we'll get much, if anything for Yamamoto in a trade simply due to it being a low leverage situation, but no, you can't replace him with Devin Shore or Derek Ryan. He's been a 16+ minute forward for several years running. He's a high work rate forechecker that kills penalties. Players like that add value, even at his $3.1m cap hit.

That contract is unattractive to us because we're at the cap ceiling, but for a rebuilding team near the floor he's about average in terms of cost. Guys like Strome, Domi, Athanasiou all signed in Chicago at a similar clip and they're happy to give them rope to produce and flip closer to the deadline with retention. And at 25, he's going to be an attractive rental.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
The Oilers are contenders minus the goalies. I said this going into the playoffs and we won't get win anything with Skinner. It doesn't matter what we do to the forwards or defense. The goalie was what sank the ship. If Holland doesn't bring a goalie like Saros or similar calibre, the next season is a write off

the problem is there is like legit maybe 4-5 current goalies in the NHL that are that caliber though.

i really like Skinner and think he could be the answer, but young players progressions is almost always never a straight line. Skinner had a good regular season and poor playoffs, there is nothing to say he will automatically improve that playoff performance just because he is a year older.

I really don't want to be coming to the deadline next year with a combined save .890% thinking that we need to pluck a Roloson out of thin air again to not ruin a chance at a cup.

I hope Skinner figures it out next year and we have no need to even discuss goaltending at the deadline, but I'm not confident that will be the case.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
the problem is there is like legit maybe 4-5 current goalies in the NHL that are that caliber though.

i really like Skinner and think he could be the answer, but young players progressions is almost always never a straight line. Skinner had a good regular season and poor playoffs, there is nothing to say he will automatically improve that playoff performance just because he is a year older.

I really don't want to be coming to the deadline next year with a combined save .890% thinking that we need to pluck a Roloson out of thin air again to not ruin a chance at a cup.

I hope Skinner figures it out next year and we have no need to even discuss goaltending at the deadline, but I'm not confident that will be the case.
The issue is Skinner's awareness and rebound control. It worse than Kosko. We are not fixing that in a year time.

There aren't many Saros out there but with Nashville situation, I can see him being available

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Yeah I think it's more likely than not that a big defensive upgrade happens at the deadline.

Edmonton won't be in LTIR hell this year. There's usually more options available, and a greater chance of salary retention at that point.

Also gives Broberg one last look before shipping him off.

Reactions: soothsayer

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I don't think we'll get much, if anything for Yamamoto in a trade simply due to it being a low leverage situation, but no, you can't replace him with Devin Shore or Derek Ryan. He's been a 16+ minute forward for several years running. He's a high work rate forechecker that kills penalties. Players like that add value, even at his $3.1m cap hit.

That contract is unattractive to us because we're at the cap ceiling, but for a rebuilding team near the floor he's about average in terms of cost. Guys like Strome, Domi, Athanasiou all signed in Chicago at a similar clip and they're happy to give them rope to produce and flip closer to the deadline with retention. And at 25, he's going to be an attractive rental.
Personally I think you are giving Yamamoto too much credit. The guy was gifted a wing spot with one of the worlds two best players, and didn't produce squat. I firmly believe that if you gave Shore, Holloway or Ryan that same opportunity you'd see a LOT better production. Sure I see Yamamoto as this cute pest who works hard and on occasion digs out a puck, but he doesn't do $3.1 mil of that.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

You're describing a Shore, Ryan or basically every other bottom six player making league minimum in the league with that.

Trying really hard(and accomplishing nothing in Yamo's case) and killing penalties is worth about $750k in the NHL.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You're describing a Shore, Ryan or basically every other bottom six player making league minimum in the league with that.

Trying really hard(and accomplishing nothing in Yamo's case) and killing penalties is worth about $750k in the NHL.

I'm pretty sure if Klim Kostin got the same playing time with McDavid or Draisaitl he'd put up far superior numbers than Yamamoto at a fraction of the salary.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I'm pretty sure if Klim Kostin got the same playing time with McDavid or Draisaitl he'd put up far superior numbers than Yamamoto at a fraction of the salary.
This 1000%. Kostin is a guy who I would like to see given WAY more minutes... He has tons of potential. Heck Holloway has tons of potential too. Yamamoto was given WAY too many minutes, did not produce, and frankly hampered the development of others. All to show what? Picking this tiny guy was a smart move?? He did not cash in on his vast opportunities, yet kept getting gifted the time on ice.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I don't want Yamamoto on the Oilers. Haven't for years but I'll admit his skills, defensive awareness, and offensive abilities are higher than your average bottom six player.

Reactions: soothsayer

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Personally I think you are giving Yamamoto too much credit. The guy was gifted a wing spot with one of the worlds two best players, and didn't produce squat. I firmly believe that if you gave Shore, Holloway or Ryan that same opportunity you'd see a LOT better production. Sure I see Yamamoto as this cute pest who works hard and on occasion digs out a puck, but he doesn't do $3.1 mil of that.
Players aren't 'gifted' playing time with McDavid, they earn it. It's no secret that McDavid and Draisaitl preferred to have him as their linemate over other options on this roster including the ones you mentioned.

Yamamoto wasn't some walk on plug. He was a highly regarded prospect with a good understanding of the offensive side of the game. It's difficult to read off of skill players and Yamamoto was one of our better options.

Averaged out over those years, Yamamoto is about a 30-40 point winger who can play anywhere in your middle six. Those players have value. Devin Shore may not even get an NHL contract next season, while Yamamoto will again likely play spot duty in some team's top six. There's a significant gap between those two players.

Derek Ryan is a fourth liner who plays about 10 minutes a night.

He'd also give up a lot more on the defensive side of the game and likely get into significantly more penalty trouble. There's a reason why Kostin's minutes are monitored.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Players aren't 'gifted' playing time with McDavid, they earn it. It's no secret that McDavid and Draisaitl preferred to have him as their linemate over other options on this roster including the ones you mentioned.

Yamamoto wasn't some walk on plug. He was a highly regarded prospect with a good understanding of the offensive side of the game. It's difficult to read off of skill players and Yamamoto was one of our better options.

Averaged out over those years, Yamamoto is about a 30-40 point winger who can play anywhere in your middle six. Those players have value. Devin Shore may not even get an NHL contract next season, while Yamamoto will again likely play spot duty in some team's top six. There's a significant gap between those two players.

Derek Ryan is a fourth liner who plays about 10 minutes a night.

7pgwsw.jpg

I mean did Yamamoto really "earn" the chance to play like multiple times more with McDavid/Draisaitl than a player like Klim Kostin or Ryan McLeod? I doubt it.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
nearly all teams are looking for that type of goalie. Vegas just won the cup with scrubs in net. Oilers need to move Nurse and Campbell to free up money to address our many needs

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013

Well I guess when McDavid and Draisaitl win a Cup then maybe they can have free reign on personnel decisions, but they haven't... and Yamamoto was exposed and weak as pooh in the playoffs. Time for someone else there and in the top 6. Even if he was a league minimum $ player I would have questions about his contribution. Holloway, Kostin, Connor Brown... lots of other BETTER and CHEAPER options.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
7pgwsw.jpg

I mean did Yamamoto really "earn" the chance to play like multiple times more with McDavid/Draisaitl than a player like Klim Kostin or Ryan McLeod? I doubt it.
No, McDavid and Draisaitl preferred to play with him over other options because they were just being polite.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
nearly all teams are looking for that type of goalie. Vegas just won the cup with scrubs in net. Oilers need to move Nurse and Campbell to free up money to address our many needs
You’re spot on about the goaltending. We all literally just watched Vegas win a cup with their 3rd string goalie and people are still thinking the Oilers should unload a ton of assets to get rid of Campbell and bring in one of the 5 best, most expensive goalies in the league or there’s no chance.

It’s a little strange.

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
Cant believe people are still trying to get rid of Yamamoto and plug in rookie left wingers in his spot. If you get rid of Yamamoto, you replace him with a RIGHT SHOOTING winger. Putting Kostin or Holloway in that spot makes zero sense.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No, McDavid and Draisaitl preferred to play with him over other options because they were just being polite.

Honestly I really dislike this kind of roster management. Player input on roster decisions should only extend to the point where there are tangible on ice results. Like if you're players and you suggest a player combo and it works, fine, great. But when it's not working, like uh, shouldn't a coach be in charge of that?

This is the coach's job to run the bench, not the players. Yamamoto going like 5,6,7,+ etc. games in a row without a goal playing next to McDavid or Draisaitl was insane.

Reactions: Duke74 and Staghorn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln