Proposal: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Stauffer Speculates About Another NCAA Forward Signing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Regardless of favors, it's about getting the player to help the team now. Shaw is more of what we need. Not Reinhart.

Well see. Id rather send picks for Shaw (which Im guessing Chicago will want anyway, not more cap)

Does Reinhart have value of a 2nd? yes. But if it was between a 2nd and Reinhart you pick a 2nd (to give up). A) 2nd round picks dont have tremendous shot at working out b) they are 3/4 years away.

Reinhart is here ready right now and with a good offseason is ready for NHL duty. Not only that but we gave up a lot for Reinhart, cant see Chiarelli sink that much into him and then cut him loose for a depth forward

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
I think teams still think Reinhart has potential and you could throw him in a deal for a defensemen. I have zero faith in Reinhart and I'd do that this summer 100%.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think teams still think Reinhart has potential and you could throw him in a deal for a defensemen. I have zero faith in Reinhart and I'd do that this summer 100%.

I have high doubts Reinhart amounts to more than Smid. But the only way id make this deal is if another GM still really valued him (like enough for a 1st and prospect). Because its likely his value only goes down from here.

But if every GM is semi sane and his value is around a 2nd round pick, just deal the pick for depth players. Atleast Reinhart will be a good depth D next season

or better use Reinhart as a chip in a bigger deal for a established D.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
I really think we need to either draft one of Chychrun or Sergachev or trade for another young Dman with good #1 potential if we want a 1D. Left/Right doesn't matter with 1D, would we turn down Josi, Hedman, OEL etc because they are LHD? Not a chance. Either that or pray Klefbom turns into one, which I think maybe he could end up a 15-25 Dman in the league. Trading the pick "for immediate help on D" probably gets us Hamonic at best, unless we can package it with RNH or Ebs plus maybe another prospect for someone better. If don't get a real #1 I think we are gonna have trouble getting past the 2nd round.

We obviously need to acquire a top 4 RHD and I'd love Hamonic but I'd much rather use an asset not the pick which is our best chance along with Klef to end up with a 1D to do so.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What do you guys think Reinhart value is? Just because we severely overpaid doesn't mean his value is a 1st rounder. His value is like a late 2nd and by the looks of things, it'll only get worse. We might as well get a big game player out of Reinhart. Same time next year he will be still sitting in the AHL and we will be thinking what to do with his RFA rights.

At some point, the Oilers have to paid for players.

To them or to us?

Griffin Reinhart's value is in what he will be, not what he is now.

I don't care what we paid for him because it's already gone. What I care about is the fact we have a 6'4, 220lb 22-year old developing defenseman that is currently providing the Oilers with defensive depth. Nevertheless, a number of fans are so impatient that they'd prefer to pull the plug on this development by any means possible, such as trading him for an overpriced bottom six patch job.

No one in the Edmonton Oilers organization is considering trading Reinhart.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Good! Chia has no interest in PK. He's an overpaid pseudo #1 dman with flaws that would cost too much to obtain anyway.

https://oilonwhyte.com/2016/05/03/edmonton-oilers-chiarelli-no-interest-in-p-k-subban/

Okay 2 things here.

1) Pseudo #1? He's a top 10 guy in the league, Norris winner for a reason. He and McDavid would make the best powerplay in the NHL.

2) Chiarelli telling Dreger he hasn't spoken to Montreal about Subban means nothing. Zilch. Nadda!

If those teams are talking, there is absolutely no way Chiarelli will give any indication. A Blockbuster deal like that stays private because you're talking about moving core pieces. You don't need that leaked in case the deal falls through.

Generally you don't hear about blockbuster deals until the day of. Anything before that would be pure speculation.

Finally, had Chiarelli told Dreger that he was interest in Subban, that would be tampering. No way he says yes to that question. When talking about specific players, Chiarelli is only permitted to discuss those who are Oilers property (or potentially could be through the draft).

The Perfect Human*

Okay 2 things here.

1) Pseudo #1? He's a top 10 guy in the league, Norris winner for a reason. He and McDavid would make the best powerplay in the NHL.

2) Chiarelli telling Dreger he hasn't spoken to Montreal about Subban means nothing. Zilch. Nadda!

If those teams are talking, there is absolutely no way Chiarelli will give any indication. A Blockbuster deal like that stays private because you're talking about moving core pieces. You don't need that leaked in case the deal falls through.

Generally you don't hear about blockbuster deals until the day of. Anything before that would be pure speculation.

Finally, had Chiarelli told Dreger that he was interest in Subban, that would be tampering. No way he says yes to that question. When talking about specific players, Chiarelli is only permitted to discuss those who are Oilers property (or potentially could be through the draft).

Ya you're probably right. Though I don't think as highly of PK as you do. Ya he'd be a great pp guys for sure though. Point is I don't think he will do as much to solve our D problems as many people think. I'd way rather try to grab a couple #2 or #3 d men instead.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
Stauffer doing a Reddit AMA
Some good stuff in here from the most connected guy in town.
https://m.reddit.com/r/EdmontonOilers/comments/4hqjk1/this_is_bob_stauffer_ama/

"I could see six new players. Three forwards at least 1C in the top nine, 2 new D-1 via trade and an NHL veteran back-up goalie to Talbot"

"Some GM's are just more comfortable with other GM's. Based on personality I could see how PC might have a connection with a guy like Bob Murray or Stan Bowman. The Ducks have what the Oilers need. "D" Frankly I think the 'Ducks also could use some more scoring. It wouldn't surprise if Anaheim moved one of Lindholm or Vatanen. They have Shea Theodore who appears ready to step in, along with 2 other good albeit different D prospects in Montour and Larsson"

"If the Ducks gave the Oilers Vatanen, and their #1, plus for the #4 over-all pick I would think about it"

Don't like that last deal. 3 for 1 deals are awful, they need to be the team getting the 1 not the 3. He mentioned Jacob Larsson on Oilers Now too from Anaheim but that's not enough imo.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Ya you're probably right. Though I don't think as highly of PK as you do. Ya he'd be a great pp guys for sure though. Point is I don't think he will do as much to solve our D problems as many people think. I'd way rather try to grab a couple #2 or #3 d men instead.

I have to disagree. I think he solves our D problems majorly. We need a guy who can transition the puck well out of our end. We already have a #2 in Klefbom and a #3 in Sekera. Davidson and Nurse should make a fine 4 and 5.

I would rather us just get 1 guy if he's an elite #1, than 2 average dmen.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I wonder if some of the UFA goalies have to sign for super cheap because the market sucks combined with teams fearing to sign guys longer term to lose to the expansion draft.

I don't really want Cam Ward....

...but if Ward signs at 1 year, 1.5M, you have a bargain backup goalie to Talbot.

I'll be watching the James Reimer market too.

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
I wonder if some of the UFA goalies have to sign for super cheap because the market sucks combined with teams fearing to sign guys longer term to lose to the expansion draft.

I don't really want Cam Ward....

...but if Ward signs at 1 year, 1.5M, you have a bargain backup goalie to Talbot.

Even up to about $3 million I think Ward would be a good backup and someone that could even challenge Talbot if he found his top form again.

As far as the pick, the more I'm looking at each of our options (I happen to share this 4th overall curse in my FHL league) and I think the best is to trade it (down or for a dman). If there is no trade options, I think gotta go Dubois.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
Stauffer on the 4th pick + for Hamonic suggested by a fan.

“You’re not going to need the 4 plus for Harmonic. The 4 has more value than Harmonic and Vatanen."

Well, I'm hoping he's right. That'd be huge for Edmonton.

(on the Oilers Now podcast)

I know Stauffer is getting brought up a lot but there's not much else news, I figure why not discuss it.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Stauffer brought up Faulk again I see
There must be smoke to that

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Regardless of favors, it's about getting the player to help the team now. Shaw is more of what we need. Not Reinhart.

Regardless of favors? This wouldn't be trading Reinhart for a signed player. We're paying this kind of cost to what? talk to a player a little bit earlier than 28 other teams. That is terrible asset management. What if Shaw doesn't want to play for the Oilers? What if he is looking for a bigger pay day than he is worth? You really want the Oilers to throw away Reinhart when all of those possibilities could happen.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
He did not say he has no interest in Subban. He stated he is not pursuing him. Different objectives. But keep on dishonestly confirming your bias against Subban.

Well if the "article" is true, it says Chiarelli has stated he won't pursue Subban (have no idea how true this is). In that case, what's the difference between "not interested" and "won't pursue"? They have the same result.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
To them or to us?

Griffin Reinhart's value is in what he will be, not what he is now.

I don't care what we paid for him because it's already gone. What I care about is the fact we have a 6'4, 220lb 22-year old developing defenseman that is currently providing the Oilers with defensive depth. Nevertheless, a number of fans are so impatient that they'd prefer to pull the plug on this development by any means possible, such as trading him for an overpriced bottom six patch job.

No one in the Edmonton Oilers organization is considering trading Reinhart.

Pretty sure the Oilers know they regret the trade.

Defensive depth? I wouldn't hold my breath. Guys like Reinhart you can get through waivers. Expecting him to beat out Davidson, Oesterle, Klef and Sekera is wishful thinking. If Reinhart starts next season on the right side then Chia should be fired. It means he didn't get 2 top 4 Ds as expected. We might as well write of the season again

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
What I'm going to take from that is.

RNH ain't going anywhere.
Dubois or Tkachuk would be the pick if we kept it.
If there signing a Dman and trading for 1 then it sounds like Demers and Vatanen.
Andrew Shaw an Oiler.

Still leaves 3 players 2 fw and a Goalie.
Imagine Eberle is gone.

I wish someone would have asked him about Korpikoski//Fayne/Letestu being moved and how there getting away from Ference.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Pretty sure the Oilers know they regret the trade.

Defensive depth? I wouldn't hold my breath. Guys like Reinhart you can get through waivers. Expecting him to beat out Davidson, Oesterle, Klef and Sekera is wishful thinking. If Reinhart starts next season on the right side then Chia should be fired. It means he didn't get 2 top 4 Ds as expected. We might as well write of the season again

Remind me again, who are 'guys like Reinhart'?

If we're going to bring up Davidson, you should note that at Griffin's age this year, Davidson managed 13 points in a full 68 game season on a playoff-bound OKC Barons. Griffin scored 10 this year in 30 games on a worse team.

Reinhart has size, intelligence, pedigree and NHL bloodlines going for him. If anything, fans should have learned through Brandon Davidson that you can't count out a defenseman. They take an extremely long time to develop.

I hope all stauffers faulk talk is based in reality. Faulk would be huge

Agreed.

Faulk would be an absolute coup.

If we ended up with Faulk, it wouldn't be such a travesty if we struck out on Hamonic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad