Proposal: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Stauffer Speculates About Another NCAA Forward Signing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What's wrong with Vatanen? He's a 40 point d-man with a canon of a shot moved up to Anaheim's top pairing by the year end and was one of their better players in the play offs.

And the cost on him is not going to be an arm and a leg. He's only 24 too, could see him developing into a Visnovsky-tier player or better.

I honestly don't see the love affair with Hamonic. Overrated and brings little offence to the table. I'll take Vatanen any day, he immediately would make our PP extremely dangerous.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
If Nurse and Reinhart start the year in the AHL... that's success for Chia!

Hoping for Hamonic or Barrie. Pass on Vatenen, Dumba, Ellis... that's scraping the bottom of the barrel and no different from Chia picking up Gryba last offseason.

I really needed a good laugh tonight, thanks for that.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Actually I don't mind the offer myself.. It's not like your a Habs fan and offer complete garbage like Eller and Emelin.

I still would like the Canucks to sweeten the deal by retaining some cap on Tanev or Hansen. You have to slightly overpay on the quantity side.

Just add Fayne and Korpikoski on the Oilers side to balance out the money. The Oilers can then still pursue a two-way forward or two July 1st and be positioned to ship out one or both of RNH and Eberle.

I'd also pursue Edler as a target from Vancouver. Maybe they want to go scorched earth model. I'd really like to keep the pick and draft Dubois though. Maybe a package of homegrown talent would entice them.

RNH, Reinhart, Fayne, Yak for Tanev, Edler, and Hansen as a base. The Oilers could even kick in a 2nd or 3rd.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I have to disagree. I think he solves our D problems majorly. We need a guy who can transition the puck well out of our end. We already have a #2 in Klefbom and a #3 in Sekera. Davidson and Nurse should make a fine 4 and 5.

I would rather us just get 1 guy if he's an elite #1, than 2 average dmen.

I still think Subban is a pipe dream, but...

PK/Klefa
Sekera/Davidson
xxx/Fayne
Oesterle

With Nurse on the farm to start the season for a little seasoning. He won't be down there too long cuz injuries happen.

That would have to be close to the same quality of our 2005/06 D.

Realistically I think the focus should be on finding a true 1D. A third pairing guy is much easier to find.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
I come in peace and harmony

I posted this on main boards with decent response, Curious what oilers fans think about this offer.

Not interested. Tanev doesn't bring enough offense which we desperately need. Value might be there but not what we really need if we are giving up a #4 pick who won't have to be protected at the upcoming expansion draft.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
What is the best first round pick the Oilers could get for RNH?

Is there the makings of a trade around #5 and RNH?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Tanev is less overrated by Canuck fans than Hamonic is by islanders fans.

The thing for me is they are the same style of player. Non dynamic steady defensive minute munchers. The difference is I know Tanev can do it against the Gezlafs, Thorntons and Kopitars I simply can't say that about Hamonic. Battling Derek Brassard, Claude Giroux etc behind the net is a completely different animal. Would Hamonic be as effective against players that dwarf him?

The thing about Tanev is he isn't really a minute muncher. It might not seem like much, but there's a pretty big difference between a d-man who can play 21-22 minutes a night like Tanev and one who can play 24-25 like Hamonic. Hamonic plays more minutes, provides more offense, is vastly more physical, is 20 pounds heavier, is younger and is cheaper.

I understand the concerns about Hamonic in the West. And I agree he's overrated by Islander fans. But I'd be far more comfortable moving the #4 for him than the #4 for Tanev (the rest is just noise, thats what the deal would boil down to). I wouldn't even really want to move the #4 for Hamonic. But push come to shove I'd do it.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
What is the best first round pick the Oilers could get for RNH?

Is there the makings of a trade around #5 and RNH?

From an Oiler perspective I have no idea why you'd move RNH for anything other than a legit top 4 d-man. I don't think it's a safe bet that whoever you can get at #5 is any better than RNH long term. And I'm not even a huge fan of RNH as many know.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I'd love it if Chia could pull of a coup and sign Caggiulla. He's small but a tough player to play against in many different ways. With the likelihood we trade a couple wingers, adding cheap (free) depth would be a real win.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I'd love it if Chia could pull of a coup and sign Caggiulla. He's small but a tough player to play against in many different ways. With the likelihood we trade a couple wingers, adding cheap (free) depth would be a real win.

Id be far more inclined to trade the 4th if we landed Drake. He is the equivalent of a late first in my mind.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Not interested. Tanev doesn't bring enough offense which we desperately need. Value might be there but not what we really need if we are giving up a #4 pick who won't have to be protected at the upcoming expansion draft.
I do that trade in a instant the 33 and 32 gets us back into top 15 where we draft another dman. Tanev is a rhd would be great on Oiers and we still have other trade chips for a offensive dman.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I do that trade in a instant the 33 and 32 gets us back into top 15 where we draft another dman. Tanev is a rhd would be great on Oiers and we still have other trade chips for a offensive dman.

We need to be careful with assets. Throwing away top 5 picks like candy to get a no.2/3 d-man is a sure fire way to ensure one day you'll never really compete for anything because you didn't strike gold when you had a chance.

And I doubt 32 and 33 gets you back into the top 15. No way.

I get we want defence, but we need to be smart about this, not stupid, like a guy who hasn't had a date in 5 years marrying the first plain jane that shows him any attention at all.

I would not be surprised at all if Dubois is every bit as good as Laine and Puljujarvi, maybe better because he can pivot to center if need be.

Offer sheet Vatanen or they can take EDM 1st 2017 (top 5 protected) + Reinhart ... their choice. I suspect they take the second package rather than be cornered into an offer sheet.

Jordan Eberle to Minny for Brodin, Brodin for Hamonic. Islanders can do that or they can **** off and accept less from other teams as far I'm concerned. He's the one asking for a trade out.

Last edited:

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Adding Vatanen, Dumba or Ellis would be the same as picking up Gryba.... :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

They are seriously flawed players. Remember how everyone was fawning over Gryba? Guy is a more useless Matt Greene.

At least Tanev and Hamonic can be trusted defensively and both can move the puck. I think Nurse's upside is Hamonic as Nurse simply doesn't have the offensive IQ or skill.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
What's wrong with Vatanen? He's a 40 point d-man with a canon of a shot moved up to Anaheim's top pairing by the year end and was one of their better players in the play offs.

And the cost on him is not going to be an arm and a leg. He's only 24 too, could see him developing into a Visnovsky-tier player or better.

I honestly don't see the love affair with Hamonic. Overrated and brings little offence to the table. I'll take Vatanen any day, he immediately would make our PP extremely dangerous.

I see Barrie being more like Lubo clone. Just not enthralled by him and it seems Ducks fans want to dump him too which not a good sign.

We need the BEST available Dman for our 4th + other assets and I prefer Barrie or Hamonic even though the "offense" isn't there... He's more of a puck mover like Pitkanen was here.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I see Barrie being more like Lubo clone. Just not enthralled by him and it seems Ducks fans want to dump him too which not a good sign.

We need the BEST available Dman for our 4th + other assets and I prefer Barrie or Hamonic even though the "offense" isn't there... He's more of a puck mover like Pitkanen was here.

Barrie I'm down for. Hamonic, nope. He's overrated. Islanders fans asking for like 3-4x the return on Dougie Hamilton one year ago ... gimme a break.

We must get an offensive d-man and we will likely never have the assets we have this summer again going forward; we have no one in the pipeline that's a sure bet to fill that role and without that we're going nowhere period.

Nurse, Klefbom, Reinhart are project to be Hamonic-style defencemen, why are we in such a damn hurry to add another vanilla d-man. Our best bet at having an offensive D-Man is if Ethan Bear pans out and that could still be a long shot that's several years away.

Ducks fans are willing to let Vatanen go because they know they can't afford him and Lindholm.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I don't trust Tanev. He's not a 1b/2a. He's a Sekera/Petry level defender with less offense than either of them. Good player, but overrated by Canuck fans.

Not interested in him as the basis for the 4th overall. Want someone better, or at the very least someone more dynamic. Tanev is such a vanilla player.

Tanev is very trustworthy he is very good in the shut-down role he's from the Karl Alzner/ Marc-Edouard Vlasic family of defensemen, not much offensive skill (though Vlasic has one good offensive season now) and are capable puck movers but it's not their bread and butter their game is entirely about neutralizing the opposition with great defense. Neither Petry or Sekera are anywhere close to being the same level in terms of being shut down guys, but are a bit better at moving the puck.

IMO Tanev is definitely a top pairing d-man he just isn't a jack of all trades guy, he's meant to be paired with an offensive d-man and cover the mistakes of a guy like an Keith Yandle or Mike Green or atleast a two-way guy with an offensive leaning like Roman Josi or OEL.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Yandle won't be worth what he inevitably ends up getting. Not good enough defensively, despite how badly the Oilers could use his offense. He's basically a grown up Schultz.

Similar thoughts regarding all the Subban talk--he's not the sort of defenseman you dedicate that much cap space to, especially when you have McDavid's contract inevitably looming.

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
ducks are a budget team. They can probably sign vatanen but why would they when Theodore Had a .74 PPG and Montour had an .84 PPG in both their rookie AHL seasons. Would be better for the ducks to trade vatanen for a forward

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
Draisaitl + 4th + Lander + Fayne(cap) for Faulk + 13th + 43rd
(Would rather Hall then Draisaitl but think it would have to be Draisaitl to get them to bite)

13th + Nurse + 43rd for Hamonic + Nelson

Yak for Sheahan

Note: Try and sign one of Eriksson/Brouwer and if successful trade Eberle for prospects/picks to fill in down the road.

Out: Draisaitl, Nurse, 4th OA, Yak, Lander, Fayne

In: Faulk, Hamonic, Nelson, Sheahan

Nelson - McDavid - Eberle
Hall - RNH - Maroon
Pouliot - Sheahan - Khaira
Hendricks - Letestu - Slepy

Sekera - Faulk
Klefbom - Hamonic
Davidson - Gryba

Talbot

Protect
Hall/RNH/Nelson/Eberle

Faulk/Hamonic/Klefbom/Sekera(ughh)

Leaving a core of...

forwards...

McDavid, Hall, RNH, Nelson Eberle and 2 of Pouliot/Maroon/Sheahan

Defense...

Faulk, Klefbom, Hamonic, Sekera, 1 of Davidson/Reinhart

Last edited:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Barrie I'm down for. Hamonic, nope. He's overrated. Islanders fans asking for like 3-4x the return on Dougie Hamilton one year ago ... gimme a break.

We must get an offensive d-man and we will likely never have the assets we have this summer again going forward; we have no one in the pipeline that's a sure bet to fill that role and without that we're going nowhere period.

Nurse, Klefbom, Reinhart are project to be Hamonic-style defencemen, why are we in such a damn hurry to add another vanilla d-man. Our best bet at having an offensive D-Man is if Ethan Bear pans out and that could still be a long shot that's several years away.

Ducks fans are willing to let Vatanen go because they know they can't afford him and Lindholm.

One key difference between Hamonic and Hamilton is Hamilton was asking for quite a bit of money on his extension and Hamonic is signed to a long-term sweetheart of a deal. Most indications were also that Hamilton wasn't fully shopped to all teams to get the best price and was done with more haste then was required. The fact is Isles fans don't want to lose Hamonic and many have this self-denial thing going on where they think keeping him is an option and there has been a lot of stuff in their media about how Snow will be patient till he gets what he wants, so they expect full value and sometimes more just cause from an emotional point of view they don't want to lose him.

Reinhart is very unlikely to get to Hamonic's level normally you'd show more sooner in your pro career if he is going to get to that level and he isn't as physical.

Nurse shares the same attributes and could potentially be a more physical and more athletically gifted version of the same player, but his hockey sense isn't quite at the same spot, so its questionable when he'll really come into being that top tier shut-down d-man.

Klefbom I think comes from a different family of d-men entirely he's more of a possession driver, he's got better mobility and a better passing game, his game is much more European in nature preferring poke checks and non-aggressive pins against the board and wrestling puck control away, he doesn't bring that physical pop that Hamonic does. He projects to be a capable defender but his bread and butter is minimizing d-zone and maximizing o-zone time by getting the puck moving in the right direction. Hamonic is more a rich mans Jason Smith who is a heart & soul guy who will lay it on the line blocking shots or dropping the mitts when the situation calls for it and is good defensively and will take a physical toll on the opposition; a bit better defensively, better passing and mobility, and a better shot than Smith so he's got a clear edge on Smith, will do everything we liked about him, but just do it better.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
We need to be careful with assets. Throwing away top 5 picks like candy to get a no.2/3 d-man is a sure fire way to ensure one day you'll never really compete for anything because you didn't strike gold when you had a chance.

And I doubt 32 and 33 gets you back into the top 15. No way.

I get we want defence, but we need to be smart about this, not stupid, like a guy who hasn't had a date in 5 years marrying the first plain jane that shows him any attention at all.

I would not be surprised at all if Dubois is every bit as good as Laine and Puljujarvi, maybe better because he can pivot to center if need be.

Offer sheet Vatanen or they can take EDM 1st 2017 (top 5 protected) + Reinhart ... their choice. I suspect they take the second package rather than be cornered into an offer sheet.

Jordan Eberle to Minny for Brodin, Brodin for Hamonic. Islanders can do that or they can **** off and accept less from other teams as far I'm concerned. He's the one asking for a trade out.
Um pretty much 2 late 1sts gets you a mid first Oilers traded later picks for 21st in 07

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Yandle won't be worth what he inevitably ends up getting. Not good enough defensively, despite how badly the Oilers could use his offense. He's basically a grown up Schultz.

Similar thoughts regarding all the Subban talk--he's not the sort of defenseman you dedicate that much cap space to, especially when you have McDavid's contract inevitably looming.
Yeah its quite likely Yandle will get more then he is worth in UFA by quite a bit, he's like a 3rd pairing d-man defensively, but elite offensively and is probably one of the 3 best d in the league when it comes to executing a perfect stretch pass. I've always wanted him on this team just cause I think he could really open us up to playing more of a speed game, getting d-men back pedaling against us all night.

Subban at $9M is really pricey, but I think he provides more value on that deal then RNH or Eberle provide on their $6M deals and I have no problem with keeping either one of them so I couldn't turn my back on Subban, its crazy that he makes more than $1M more then the next closest d-man, but I think you can win with Subban at $9M at McDavid at approx. $10M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad