Proposal: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Stauffer Speculates About Another NCAA Forward Signing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Gotta risk it sometimes. I mean Hamonic is way more proven. But Hanifin proved good this year himself and his upside is as a #1D. But he could also stall developely. Only way in my eyes to get a #1 is to trade for a potential one.

Yeah, that's pretty much the rationale for the RNH for Seth Jones proposals that started up last year. Teams rarely give up top pairing guys unless forced to, but they might hand over one with the potential to be one.

It's a tough choice, especially considering that trading RNH for high potential futures has a strong probability of turning next season into another development year. Not sure Chia has the stomach for that.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Other teams use the swarm system in the NHL, the issues with Eakins went much deeper than just what system he favored. They could have played the simplest of systems out there, wouldn't have done much good as the HC considered sitting in the stands and touching base with the reporters was more important than running practices himself.

It was a ****ed up time period. He couldn't run practices because he had to teach what was suppose to the best players how to play basic hockey. He didn't do himself any favours, but he's not a guy that should be coaching a team lacking leadership.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It was a ****ed up time period. He couldn't run practices because he had to teach what was suppose to the best players how to play basic hockey. He didn't do himself any favours, but he's not a guy that should be coaching a team lacking leadership.

So he said, but I call ********. You don't get to the NHL without understanding basic defence. He said what he had to say to protect his ego. He's not going to say 'I sucked, I ****ed up, and I'm terrible', so - pass the blame. It's the players fault. It's ownership's fault. Never mind he wouldn't change from his stupid swarm system until it was far too late.

Most practices, he 'ran' from the stands and let his assistants to the actual on-ice teaching. He missed his calling as a video coach.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
CHI has elite top 3 Dmen to shelter him... Oilers dont..
completely different situation...

Klefbom, Nurse, Sekera and Davidson make Reinhart him expendable.

So we trade him for basically the rights to Shaw that Chicago basically has to trade? No thanks I'm not much into doing favors for a team that has won 3 cups in 7 years.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
That was nothing more than covering his own ass. The team looked 10x better defensively under Renney and Krueger than they ever did with Eakins coaching.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
That was nothing more than covering his own ass. The team looked 10x better defensively under Renney and Krueger than they ever did with Eakins coaching.

Not to mention team was night and day better that same season when Nelson took over

How no team is looking at Nelson is beyond me. A players favourite in NHL, coached better AHL teams than Eakins did (with worse prospects). Trained under Bowman and Babcock

Blows my mind how scrubs like Eakins are still "loved" by teams. If Calgary was half smart they poach Nelson. Hed make that team good and would semi rub in Oilers faces

Good thing Burke and Treliving are incompetent at their jobs

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
So we trade him for basically the rights to Shaw that Chicago basically has to trade? No thanks I'm not much into doing favors for a team that has won 3 cups in 7 years.

Shaw is a hot commodity. If we are going to low ball Chi, there's 20 other teams that could use a player like Shaw as their #3C RH at roughly 3M/yr

If we get Shaw, it would also be easier to move RNH+ for a top pairing D

If we have a #1D, #1C and #1 goalie, it makes Edmonton a more attractive place for UFAs. So there's that

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah, that's pretty much the rationale for the RNH for Seth Jones proposals that started up last year. Teams rarely give up top pairing guys unless forced to, but they might hand over one with the potential to be one.

It's a tough choice, especially considering that trading RNH for high potential futures has a strong probability of turning next season into another development year. Not sure Chia has the stomach for that.

Is too much of the focus about getting a true #1? Seems like the homerun is something this team and fan base have tried for, but really you don't need a #1, not yet anyway.

Florida's #1 has been Campbell, although that's probably changing even if he stays next year.

Anaheim, just used the old no real #1 but played a solid top 4.

Isles #1 d was Hamonic for much of the year but he doesn't appear to be one for the Oilers judging by these threads.

Philly had some sort of mickey mouse defense that relied on Del Zotto and Streit for much of the year.

That's just what I found on a few teams that made the playoffs. Neither team really had a sexy d-man, but somehow those combinations got them into the playoffs. In the Flyers case I suspect that was more due to east. If we can't get a #1 then we have to make sure we have depth and have 4 guys playing in the top 4 that can actually play in the top 4, but are guys that probably can play on a top pairing and not look out of place.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

The team still sucked regardless and that's why I think Eakins will get another chance. He can bash management so much and really what is a GM going to say? Regardless of looks no coach has had the proper talent and if you are already giving the guy an interview you obviously already like him.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Shaw is a hot commodity. If we are going to low ball Chi, there's 20 other teams that could use a player like Shaw as their #3C RH at roughly 3M/yr

If we get Shaw, it would also be easier to move RNH+ for a top pairing D

If we have a #1D, #1C and #1 goalie, it makes Edmonton a more attractive place for UFAs. So there's that

Not really. He is an average bottom 6 player that for some reason HFOil irrationally falls over. I dont think hes as hyped around league as people think he is

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
Not really. He is an average bottom 6 player that for some reason HFOil irrationally falls over. I dont think hes as hyped around league as people think he is

He doesn't even play C, he's basically a fill in center not someone you'd want playing it all season.

No point to pay Shaw 3m when he's just a third liner.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
The Canes highest scorer had 51 friggen points. Staal is gone, Skinner is what he is, Lindholm is very disappointing. At some point they have to boost offense. Cant just roll along with good D. Even Nashville realized this and dealt away Jones for forward help

Considering Faulk had 49 points last year and this year was on a pace for 47 points had he been healthy dealing him for "offense" seems like an incredibly backwards move.

I don't know what the solution to the Canes offense is but I'm pretty sure dealing Faulk is not part of it.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

He's putting up Manny Malhotra numbers when he was considered an elite #3C. He's also brings grit and energy. What more can you ask for?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
He's putting up Manny Malhotra numbers when he was considered an elite #3C. He's also brings grit and energy. What more can you ask for?

You can ask to not over pay for him. I also never remember a time when Malhotra was considered an "elite" #3C. He was also an excellent faceoff man, I wonder if Shaw has the same skill set.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Is too much of the focus about getting a true #1? Seems like the homerun is something this team and fan base have tried for, but really you don't need a #1, not yet anyway.

Florida's #1 has been Campbell, although that's probably changing even if he stays next year.

Anaheim, just used the old no real #1 but played a solid top 4.

Isles #1 d was Hamonic for much of the year but he doesn't appear to be one for the Oilers judging by these threads.

Philly had some sort of mickey mouse defense that relied on Del Zotto and Streit for much of the year.

That's just what I found on a few teams that made the playoffs. Neither team really had a sexy d-man, but somehow those combinations got them into the playoffs. In the Flyers case I suspect that was more due to east. If we can't get a #1 then we have to make sure we have depth and have 4 guys playing in the top 4 that can actually play in the top 4, but are guys that probably can play on a top pairing and not look out of place.

Most of the teams you listed there are bubble teams(With the exception of Anaheim obviously). The desire for a true number one D is rooted in the desire for a contender, not a team that merely contends for the playoffs. The opportunities to acquire such players are few and far between, so it's not too surprising that when the Oilers might have a guy or two who could possibly bring a player of that potential back, the trade proposals start flying.

On the topic of Hamonic, he doesn't have the same allure due to the lack of offense to his game like other true number one Ds around the NHL do. He really is more of a 20 - 25 point guy who can play on the top pairing. He also isn't worth the best the Oilers can offer due to the trade demand that removes most of the NHL from bidding.

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
I love how on the mains before the Leafs got the pick the Oilers would have had to add Drai and Nurse to 1ov for Subban but now the Habs would have to add to Subban to get 1ov. It's be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I love how on the mains before the Leafs got the pick the Oilers would have had to add Drai and Nurse to 1ov for Subban but now the Habs would have to add to Subban to get 1ov. It's be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Apparently Matthews is generational now:laugh:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

So you trade a second rounder for him.

No one's offering a first rounder for the opportunity to overpay a checking line player.

The trade-Reinhart rhetoric on these boards is beginning to get tiring because I guarantee you literally no one with a salary in the Edmonton Oilers organization is considering it at this point.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Malhorta could go head to head with leagues best forwards and shut them down. Shaw is no slouch defensively but he has a long way to go before being compared to Malhorta

Although Id love to get Shaw. Hes a good 3rd line player who can slot in top 6 if required. But I am not offering prime value for him

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
If we have to pay Shaw 3m+ I don't even want him. He's not a player you spend a lot of money on.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If we have to pay Shaw 3m+ I don't even want him. He's not a player you spend a lot of money on.

Id give him 3M if we got him cheap. But id then jet send Korpse for whatever we can get. Have a bottom 6 with Shaw/Letesu(or upgrade)/Pakarian/Khaira/Hendricks (or upgrade)

Atleast Shaws deal is short and he brings great stuff

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
So you trade a second rounder for him.

No one's offering a first rounder for the opportunity to overpay a checking line player.

The trade-Reinhart rhetoric on these boards is beginning to get tiring because I guarantee you literally no one with a salary in the Edmonton Oilers organization is considering it at this point.

Malhorta could go head to head with leagues best forwards and shut them down. Shaw is no slouch defensively but he has a long way to go before being compared to Malhorta

Although Id love to get Shaw. Hes a good 3rd line player who can slot in top 6 if required. But I am not offering prime value for him

What do you guys think Reinhart value is? Just because we severely overpaid doesn't mean his value is a 1st rounder. His value is like a late 2nd and by the looks of things, it'll only get worse. We might as well get a big game player out of Reinhart. Same time next year he will be still sitting in the AHL and we will be thinking what to do with his RFA rights.

At some point, the Oilers have to paid for players.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
What do you guys think Reinhart value is? Just because we severely overpaid doesn't mean his value is a 1st rounder. His value is like a late 2nd and by the looks of things, it'll only get worse. We might as well get a big game player from Reinhart. Same time next year he will be still sitting in the AHL and we are thinking what to do with his RFA rights.

At some point, the Oilers have to paid for players.

Reinhart for Shaw is probably best deal theyd get. Why do Chicago any favours? Just low ball them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad