Proposal: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Stauffer Speculates About Another NCAA Forward Signing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Last thread passed 1000

Some posts:

I understand, but Hall is the only asset that can get you a true #1 or #2 and you'd probably have to add something to that.

I'm a big Davidson fan too, but I just don't see a consistent top 4 guy. I see a good #5. I'd really hate to go into next season with the mindset that you better not improve your defence because you MAY lose Davidson the following summer.

I know that I'm in the minority, but I think that losing Davidson probably wouldn't be the end of the world with Nurse, Reinhart, Simpson, Oesterle, etc. kicking around the organization.

Also, if everyone on D absolutely KILL it next year, couldn't you trade one of them before the expansion draft? Then that teams protects said player and the Oilers get assets.

If the Oilers are willing to retain $ on Fayne he shouldn't be an issue to move. A right handed veteran #4 dman at (up to) 1.8M would be valuable to lots of teams.

You can't just write off a dman because they play with Suter. Yes there should be concerns if a player can duplicate their effectiveness here without having that anchor but I think there's also a positive in that situation from a young player developing and learning from playing with a top dmen.

Your same stance was echoed by many here who thought a player like Josi away from Weber was not worth trading Eberle for a couple years ago. It really comes down to our scouts doing their homework and getting it right with all the information they have.

Methot + Lazar + 12 OAP

for

4th OAP

Sound fair Edmonton fans?

That's what you called "settling". Aim higher. And Vatanen is not going to be an easy acquisition by an means.

Sounds like a RNH deal. I feel we could get more than that. If you want to swap the 4th Overall with RNH, I'd consider it.

Offer sheet him. Anaheim will be very hard pressed to match with an internal cap. I think most Ducks fans are resigned to Vatanen being a goner.

Vatanen is going to be this year's Dougie Hamilton ... he's going to go for picks because of salary issues. Maybe not the only d-man this summer in that category either.

I like it a lot. At 12 we could still likely grab one of the big 3 dmen, Methot is a good 2nd pair dman and Lazar could be our 3C replacement if we trade Nuge for a dman. It's not sexy but it works for us imo

I agree, as a Sens fan it would suck to see both players go. But we need top 6 help. One of the best things I have learned on here is "If it doesn't hurt you, then it isn't a fair trade"

1) Sign Eric Staal (3 years at 4 million)
- Before you all critisize this move realize that Staal will be playing 3rd line minutes, be relatively cheap, and adds a much needed veteran presence to the team. Also a great leader.
2) Pick 32 + Nurse for Trouba
3) Pick 4 + Eberle + Reinhart for Subban
4) Trade a 5th for rights to Boedker (5x5)
5) Fayne to FLA for a 5th
6) Sign a cheap backup

Hall - RNH - Draisaitl (16)
Boedker - McDavid - Maroon (10)
Pouliot - Staal - Yakupov (10.5)
Hendo - Letestu - pak/Korpi (5)

Sekera - Subban (14)
Klefbom - Trouba (9)
Davidson - Oesterle (3)
Pardy

Talbot (4)

Rough cap estimates. From my mental math this team is a little below cap.
Tried to do something different than the usual.

I think after the Maroon trade you're not turning around and sticking it to the ducks. There is more to that trade to come, my 2 cents anyway.

Yakupov won't be here so maybe switch him out with Shaw (after a trade involving those 2). Other than that though I'd be very happy with that lineup.

12 is too far to drop.

Dubois could be the next Jamie Benn or David Backes on the lower end and we're talking about 3rd line centers ... bleh.

in general I want us to fix the team. We can worry about expansion issues after. I also agree that losing Davidson wouldn't be the end of the world. He won't be the best player poached from a team if that happens. We csn make mid season trades as well

If it makes you feel better at 12 we could likely get one of Keller, Bellows or Jost. Also one of Chychrun, Juolevi and Sergachev will likely be there too. Food for thought.

I think if we bring in a good vet (like Staal) Yakupov would really benefit similar to when Roy was brought in. Unless we get fair value I hang onto Yak and see what happens.
Thanks for the response!

a great leader doesn't smoke bomb his way out of the playoffs, and Staal barely plays C anymore.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
My hope for the Oilers' off season, Adding Hamonic and Vatanen via trade and Lovejoy as a UFA.

Defense looking like.

Sekera - Hamonic
Klefbom - Vatanen
Davidson - Lovejoy
Osterle

Nurse in the AHL, Fayne Traded away.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
4th might be a blessing in disguise. Much easier to trade.

More difficult to get a legitimate top 3 d-man for it though. I almost think it makes it less likely to get dealt. The 2nd overall someone would have paid big time for. I'm not sure the same will be said for the #4.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
More difficult to get a legitimate top 3 d-man for it though. I almost think it makes it less likely to get dealt. The 2nd overall someone would have paid big time for. I'm not sure the same will be said for the #4.

Maybe, and that's fair, but you likely don't think you're "giving away" as much as an impact player as you would in the top-3.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

Hard to say. I think a ton of NHL brass would absolutely love to have a player in Dubois mold.

Guys on the Nucks board are talking about adding fairly significant assets to #5 for #4, considering its just one spot in the draft.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Hard to say. I think a ton of NHL brass would absolutely love to have a player in Dubois mold.

Guys on the Nucks board are talking about adding fairly significant assets to #5 for #4, considering its just one spot in the draft.

most there are happy with landing Tkachuk.. He is a Vancouver type player.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What about Rick Nash retained for Nail Yakupov and a cap dump?

Nash had a down season, the Rangers are in a bit of a cap crunch and Nash is making $7.8m for the next two seasons. He's a 6'4 winger that does what Nail Yakupov was expected to do, which is score goals. A big guy, former all-star, only 31. You could do worse.

Even one-for-one full price Nash for Yakupov leaves us with ~$6.5m before the Ference buyout and Nash's contract ends when McDavid is re-upped. He'd be a decent vet presence.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Would the rumored Vatanen for Yakupov and Pouliot deal still be available I wonder? Would love that deal.

Does Reinhart get us Shaw? Might be a good move for both clubs.

I say hold onto the #4 unless it's packaged for a D like Subban.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Would the rumored Vatanen for Yakupov and Pouliot deal still be available I wonder? Would love that deal.

Can we stop trading Reinhart?

If he's a good add for Chicago we shouldn't be trading him.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Can we stop trading Reinhart?

If he's a good add for Chicago we shouldn't be trading him.

CHI has elite top 3 Dmen to shelter him... Oilers dont..
completely different situation...

Klefbom, Nurse, Sekera and Davidson make Reinhart him expendable.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

4th overall + Pouliot + Yakupov (or Reinhart) for Faulk + 13th overall. That's my start, although Carolina would have to add a bit (IMO).

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Gregor was saying that from talking from scouts there is up to 8 guys that could go 4.

Makes me wonder if we see a 2010 like draft, where guys just fall in love with a prospect and draft him regardless. Some of those guys with 9th and 10th picks could be licking their chops come draft day. The flip side of it is teams probably aren't making any deals until the draft.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Tough to say. Firing Boudreau could result in less player changes.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
The Legend of Andrew Shaw on this board is something I just don't understand.

Right hand shot, can play C or RW, agitates, can play anywhere in the lineup, goes to the net..

Shouldn't be too hard to understand. He would be a perfect fit.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Right hand shot, can play C or RW, agitates, can play anywhere in the lineup, goes to the net..

Shouldn't be too hard to understand. He would be a perfect fit.

speaking of RHS C/RW with grit, looks like R.Strome would be on the outs in NY.

would Yak for Strome be of interest to us? to NY?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Rather target Pulock, but since Hamonic is on his way out. That might be hard

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
My hope for the Oilers' off season, Adding Hamonic and Vatanen via trade and Lovejoy as a UFA.

Defense looking like.

Sekera - Hamonic
Klefbom - Vatanen
Davidson - Lovejoy
Osterle

Nurse in the AHL, Fayne Traded away.

Would be great. Although I don't really see the point of Lovejoy. I think Fayne is fine as a bottom pairing guy for the next couple of seasons. I'd trust him more to move up into the top 4 than I would Lovejoy.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
CHI has elite top 3 Dmen to shelter him... Oilers dont..
completely different situation...

Klefbom, Nurse, Sekera and Davidson make Reinhart him expendable.

Since when is a 22 year old expendable? He's still eligible to play in the AHL. He is still developing. We don't need him to step into a top 4 role, we need him to earn his way there.

But where does he fit? Sekera, Klefbom, Davidson and Nurse are all ahead of him now.

In Bakersfield, with Nurse.

Depth charts change. Just like last summer when some of us were ready to let Davidson go find his way elsewhere.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009

I think that would be a decent option. Former high draft pick that hasn't worked out as hoped to.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I don't see why Carolina moves Faulk. They don't have a great D.

Because they lack wingers, and have 4 RHD.

Good cases made by Willis and Staples:

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...ical-trading-partners-for-the-edmonton-oilers

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...rading-first-pick-or-trading-for-justin-faulk

Stauffer next mentioned three right shot d-men “who may possibly be available” in a trade this summer, Tyson Barrie, Justin Faulk and Sami Vatanen. “Faulk just given the Carolina’s emergence with some of their other young American defencemen may be available,” Stauffer said. “Barrie, it’s a wildcard because we’re not sure what Colorado is going to do.” The item was interesting because I had yet to hear Justin Faulk’s name come up in trade talk, and Faulk is an interesting player. Faulk just turned 24 so he’s heading into the prime years of his NHL career. He’s got four years left on a deal that pays him $4.8 million per year. He’s got a great shot on the power play and in the past two years has averaged 0.88 points per 60 even strength minutes, a solid total. He’s been good for about 45-50 points a year in Carolina. Faulk is listed at 6-feet and 215-pounds, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s shorter than that and maybe heavier. He’s a stocky guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->