Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Rainman Edition "I'm an Excellent Driver" Read OP and Watch Video For Educational Purposes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So Draisaitl didn't get owned by Vegas...by Eichel?
Draisaitl's defensive shortcomings weren't on full view?
You do realize Connor and Leon have probably discussed the future where they are both asking for more money and how that impacts the team. For sure Leon's agent has discussed with him about leading his own team--be a bad agent if he didn't.
Draisaitl looked pretty damned fine before Pietrangelo tried to chop his hand off. There's absolutely no chance that he was anything approaching 100% after that.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
You do realize Connor and Leon have probably discussed the future where they are both asking for more money and how that impacts the team. For sure Leon's agent has discussed with him about leading his own team--be a bad agent if he didn't.
Game 6 was Draisaitl's only bad game of the series and probably the worst game he ever played in the playoffs. If I remember correctly they had Bjustad centering the second line and going up against Eichel in games 3 to 5.

They are a package deal because I don't see a situation in which McDavid will stay without Draisaitl here.

So therefor, Draisaitl has to be signed (even if you would want to do that anyway).

Leon is not going to have a better chance to win elsewhere AND still get paid like $16 million a year or something ridiculous.

The Oilers can also out leverage teams, even if a team offered Draisaitl 16 million/year, we can offer the same dollar amount at a lower cap hit (14 mill cap hit for us) because of the 8th year which other teams can't match AND we have McDavid.

No other team can offer that.

If they want 30 million, they'll get 30 million here, that's not an issue.
I doubt Katz cares about what percentage of the cap McDrai take up, that's the GM's problem to deal with. They probably pull in an extra 50 million+ a season in revenue for Katz.

Reactions: Anarchism

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think the value of the franchise has doubled since we drafted Mcdavid. Watch how much the Blackhawks value will increase if Bedard ends up being generational.
I don't know how much it'll go up to be honest. They are already in top 5 I believe for values in the NHL.

Teams seem to naturally grow anyway every year, so them being worth 300-400mil more in 5-10 years really isn't necessarily based on them getting Bedard.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I don't know how much it'll go up to be honest. They are already in top 5 I believe for values in the NHL.

Teams seem to naturally grow anyway every year, so them being worth 300-400mil more in 5-10 years really isn't necessarily based on them getting Bedard.
Some math guy can probably break down the percentages that each franchise went up in value after drafting a generational player like Lemieux, Lindros, Crosby, Mcdavid and compare it to all the other franchises. This way it can prove natural inflation or if the star player had a direct impact on franchise value.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
"He gives up as much as he scores!"

Dumbest thing I've ever heard. Take his shot off our PP and it would instantly go from best of all time to simply just "good" (that's if we're lucky).
He's making good use of the Yakupov spot.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Why does the players union want their players to set new standards for their members to negotiate against? Especially when the cap will be 10-15% higher when those salaries kick in that the current flat cap environment every current contract is signed in?

Come on, dude. We've heard that the PA has given static to players taking discounts in the past. They're gonna want to the best player in the generation to set a new standard so their other top members can argue for 12-13 million and not 10 million. And I know that theoretically takes from their lower end earners, but actually, at this stage, those guys get paid by teams who don't have top end talent. Gudas couldn't get 4M from a good team but he could get it from ANA.
I have never seen any credible confirmation of the bolded. It gets stated on here all the time because of the belief that higher salaries for the top players means more money for everyone, This is standard union logic. But the NHLPA is not operating under rules that exist for almost any other union. The players as a whole receive a fixed amount of money regardless of the sum of their nominal salaries. Every extra penny that goes to one player comes out of the pockets of all the other players. This is not theoretical. It literally is the rules they play under. It makes no sense what so ever for a union to take a position that benefits a very small percentage of their members at the detriment of the vast majority.

Roughly speaking, every extra $1M an individual player gets on their AAV requires results in every other player losing about $1000. What would be the response to an email sent by the PA asking every member asking them to send a cheque for $2000 made out to Connor McDavid, and another for $3000 made out to Leon Draisaitl because they deserve more money than their team wants to give them. Do you think that they would be happy to do so?

Your Gudas example is a red herring How about in the above scenario you ask for an additional $1000 to pay for the extra $1M over pay that Gudas got. What puts more money in players pockets is rising revenues. When a guy like Gudas gets more of the pie than he deserves it means less for everyone ele

Because both MacKinnon and Draisaitl could get more than 12.8M in free agency. Because MacKinnon signed three months after winning a Stanley Cup. Because if Draisaitl had the same salary as MacKinnon this coming year, he'd make almost a million dollars less due to tax differences. Because MacKinnon's 12.8M was 15.5% of the cap when it was signed, and 15.5% of the cap when Draisaitl's contract kicks in is going to be like 14.2 million?
I freely admit that everything you say is a valid way to look at things. It is very possible that Draisaitl will ask for more than MacKinnon. But in the past the way these resets really work has not been as you describe. When a few top players have signed it sets a ceiling on market value that tends to be fairly consistent over several years even though the cap is rising. This sort of cycle has been repeated several times since the cap came into play.

Matthews is perhaps the big unkown here. He seems to want too take as much as he can. If he gets $13.5M I think it impacts Leon more so than McDavid. I could easily see McDavid taking $14M if that made him the highest paid player, which is I believe what he will expect to be. But I don't see any evidence that he will want several million more or that even with a rising cap lesser players will quickly pass him. Especially since the vast majority of the league's elite players are signed long term.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Without McDavid the Oilers would go from a 1.2 billion+ valuation to $700-800 million or something like that overnight no doubt about it.

Ottawa was just valued at 1.1B and Tampa at 1.4B. Edmonton won’t fall to a what will be future expansion level dollars.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
I have never seen any credible confirmation of the bolded. It gets stated on here all the time because of the belief that higher salaries for the top players means more money for everyone, This is standard union logic. But the NHLPA is not operating under rules that exist for almost any other union. The players as a whole receive a fixed amount of money regardless of the sum of their nominal salaries. Every extra penny that goes to one player comes out of the pockets of all the other players. This is not theoretical. It literally is the rules they play under. It makes no sense what so ever for a union to take a position that benefits a very small percentage of their members at the detriment of the vast majority.

Roughly speaking, every extra $1M an individual player gets on their AAV requires results in every other player losing about $1000. What would be the response to an email sent by the PA asking every member asking them to send a cheque for $2000 made out to Connor McDavid, and another for $3000 made out to Leon Draisaitl because they deserve more money than their team wants to give them. Do you think that they would be happy to do so?

Your Gudas example is a red herring How about in the above scenario you ask for an additional $1000 to pay for the extra $1M over pay that Gudas got. What puts more money in players pockets is rising revenues. When a guy like Gudas gets more of the pie than he deserves it means less for everyone ele

I freely admit that everything you say is a valid way to look at things. It is very possible that Draisaitl will ask for more than MacKinnon. But in the past the way these resets really work has not been as you describe. When a few top players have signed it sets a ceiling on market value that tends to be fairly consistent over several years even though the cap is rising. This sort of cycle has been repeated several times since the cap came into play.

Matthews is perhaps the big unkown here. He seems to want too take as much as he can. If he gets $13.5M I think it impacts Leon more so than McDavid. I could easily see McDavid taking $14M if that made him the highest paid player, which is I believe what he will expect to be. But I don't see any evidence that he will want several million more or that even with a rising cap lesser players will quickly pass him. Especially since the vast majority of the league's elite players are signed long term.
I specifically remember Doug Weight being pressured by the PA when Edmonton was offering him in the low 4's or whatever they offered. Then the prick blues gave him a crazy amount. I remember Weight talking about it years ago.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I specifically remember Doug Weight being pressured by the PA when Edmonton was offering him in the low 4's or whatever they offered. Then the prick blues gave him a crazy amount. I remember Weight talking about it years ago.
Was this pre-cap though? Then I can see the union being more upset. Now I’m not sure they care, there’s a fixed pool of money to go around, if someone takes less somewhere, somebody else gets the money it’s not like the owners saves it.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Do you spend every waking moment coming up with stupid narratives like this? Draisaitl had 6 goals for christ sake talking about he got owned. Fans like you are why this fanbase has to read dumbass main threads on why mcdavid and draisaitl are going to leave.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
There also wasn’t a salary cap back then.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Do you spend every waking moment coming up with stupid narratives like this? Draisaitl had 6 goals for christ sake talking about he got owned. Fans like you are why this fanbase has to read dumbass main threads on why mcdavid and draisaitl are going to leave.
The last 4 games he got one assist...went -7 and way a giveaway machine.
The original idea here is its not a slam dunk signing Leon next summer.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

He got his arm practically hacked off in a ridiculously dirty play non-hockey play. He was the best player in the series until that point, which is why Pietranonuts purposely targetted him.

No Draisaitl = No McDavid, exactly why what would McDavid be staying for? The weather in January and West Edmonton Mall? Darnell Nurse? Subpar management? Leon holds the key to everything. The main draw for Leon being here is Connor and vice versa, not many players in the league that good (in McDavid's case, zero players) to play with.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Awful reasoning to even go down the path of even bringing this shit up. His minus definitely had nothing to do with sinners horrible performance.

Reactions: capazzo

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

there are about 20 other players on this roster who should get criticism before Draisaitl

Reactions: capazzo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad