Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Lavoie Vs. Pederson Vs. Sutter Vs. Gagner Vs. Caggiula

Which of these players makes the team?

• Lavoie

Votes: 56 39.4%
  • Pederson

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • Sutter

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Gagner

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • Caggiula

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Bourgault

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Petrov

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (specify in a post)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • None of them makes the team, we'll start with 11 forwards

Votes: 8 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Pesce and Schiefele (both double retained) at the deadline would only require Foegele being shipped out to be cap compliant. It would cost a lot of picks and prospects, but damn that would make the Oilers hands down favourites.

Kane McDavid Brown
RNH Drai Schiefele
Holloway McLeod Hyman
Janmark Ryan Lavoie

Nurse Pesce
Ekholm Bouchard
Kulak Ceci
Desharnais
Ya but this isn’t NHL23

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Pesce and Schiefele (both double retained) at the deadline would only require Foegele being shipped out to be cap compliant. It would cost a lot of picks and prospects, but damn that would make the Oilers hands down favourites.

Kane McDavid Brown
RNH Drai Schiefele
Holloway McLeod Hyman
Janmark Ryan Lavoie

Nurse Pesce
Ekholm Bouchard
Kulak Ceci
Desharnais
Pesce is welcome here , But Schiefele can get F***ed . Also the asset it would cost would be out of reach. NHL 2000 would probably let you do the trade but here on planet earth it isn't happening.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Pesce is welcome here , But Schiefele can get F***ed . Also the asset it would cost would be out of reach. NHL 2000 would probably let you do the trade but here on planet earth it isn't happening.
Carolina won't be interested in picks an prospects at the deadline either if they want to trade him at that time. Most likely they wait till after the playoffs.

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
Yeah, sorry I mistook your location. During pandemic I remember you talking about how hard it was going to work through the bustle and crowded places around NY.

Yeah Real estate more manageable here but we're seeing major uptick in pricing too. Funny thing is a lot of the skinny houses now being built are 800K range here. Edmonton is going with the same tragic rezoning changes and infill allowances that Vancouver went with. The superficial thought was that cropping properties and building 2 or more homes on one standard lot would make housing more available, and ultimately more affordable. Not the case as the builders will give you a tiny sliver of lot and still want to charge top prices.

Thus eyesores like this with no yard and in many areas surrounded on all sides by similar builds stacked close together.

Now one would think a builder could make something like the above on split infill lots for a lot more like 300-400K but they don't. They lather on a list of highest possibly priced building materials and thus the sticker shock pricing for infill housing.
Also paying for a prime location in Riverdale.

Reactions: Duke74

Navx94

Jan 17, 2019

Kane McDavid Brown
RNH Drai Schiefele
Holloway McLeod Hyman
Janmark Ryan Lavoie

Nurse Pesce
Ekholm Bouchard
Kulak Ceci
Desharnais

Super unrealistic but just shows how good the oilers D core would be if we could add a top 4RD. Easier said than done but I’d put that D core against 90% of the league.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Holland can cut Erne today and go buy N. Ritchie. Erne is not even a true NHL guy at this point.
And while he is at it he can go trade Lavoie for Kovacevic.

Two nhl players we need for never has been and most likely never will. However i must admit Lavoie took a step forward defensively last year. He is still a fair ways below acceptable but maybe another 4 or 5 months in the A and we might have something.

I think you're the first person to ever say a team needs Nick Ritchie or John Kovacevic.

Kovacevic basically fills the same space/role as Vinny, and while I agree Ritchie is better than Erne, he's likely still holding out for a Kostin-like contract. Plus he's one of the softer big men in the league; the dude's charmin if he isn't outright being dragged into a battle. I'd welcome the offence, but he'd be a poor replacement on the 4th line for Kostin, who reveled in stirring things up.

Also when it comes to Lavoie, effort and engagement have certainly been his big issues, but his own zone play is generally pretty solid. He's always been one of the better +/- guys on his teams (crude I know, but there's limited options to qualify a player's defence in junior/AHL.), plus when he made Team Canada's WJC squad, he was one of their go-to checkers and PK'ers. Those aren't things I'd expect out of a defensive liability.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

Kane McDavid Brown
RNH Drai Schiefele
Holloway McLeod Hyman
Janmark Ryan Lavoie

Nurse Pesce
Ekholm Bouchard
Kulak Ceci
Desharnais

I think a better and more realistic target out of Winnipeg would be Niederreiter, especially if you could get the Jets to retain.

My ideal would be something around Foegele for Nino at 50%. That would free up 750k, enough to fit a 22nd skate on the main roster without doing any cap shenanigans.

Nino-McDavid-Kane
RNH/McLeod-Drai-Hyman
Janmark-RNH/McLeod-Brown

That'd be a damn solid top 9.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Sutter sounds like he is ready. Given his current recovery from long covid, he will get better all year. IMO, he is pretty much a lock to make the team. He is an important addition
I would say a lock to get a contract, if it's all true, and likely called up after a few AHL games under his belt. To me, he'd have to have a majorly successful camp to just make the team

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You hit on exactly the issue with infill building. I grew up in Highlands and own an old house in the area that we bought from my parents when they had to move out. The house which was built in 1939 is perfectly livable, but it requires some updating. Maybe $30-40K to bring it mostly up to today's standards. As it is the house will probably end up being a tear down which is a major shame. The house 2 doors down, which is in bad shape, is for sale for $195K and will almost surely be torn down. After about $12K to tear it down and to get asbestos clearance you have an investor with a little over $200K in the now vacant lot. A 33 ft lot up the street is going for $254K. 50 ft lots in the neighborhood have been split into 2 25's and sold for just under $200K each. Even for starter homes people are looking for houses that are at least twice the size as the ones that would be torn down or the one I own. So there is almost no way to keep it under $500K for a builder if the want to make any profit and look for an upscale buyer looking for a trendy neighborhood and mostly no maintenance yard. So they go bigger. The result is that you get rid of a bunch of $200-400K houses and replace them with houses that go from $500-800K with almost no real gain in density.
Yep. Yet another example of intentions not relating to reality. The disconnect is cities that want to promote such things as densification, and somehow think that increased supply of housing will relate to increased availability and affordability. Essentially it doesn't though as the developers just see dollar signs and left to their own wits will of course maximize profit over building affordable housing units. So that the converse of intended has occurred in Vancouver, Toronto etc. We're just creating fancy slim houses on half lots that the majority of those seeking a residence cannot afford.

I always reflect on how odd it is that green initiatives to build net zero approximating homes ironically ends up bulldozing already available housing stock that is still livable, structurally sound etc. I thought the overall was to reduce footprint, consumption, and use of materials. Its not green to be simply scrapping houses and putting all the debris in landfill and starting over building new ones. What green equation is that?

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Also paying for a prime location in Riverdale.
That doesn't explain it all because as @Fourier mentioned the split lots result in appreciable increase in land costs of whatever lot it is anywhere, and examples of these are increasingly found anywhere.

While currently the majority of these split lots may exist within proximity to Central Edmonton with the rezoning (or some say no zoning) changes impacting ALL lots within the city between the Henday these will now be seen increasingly anywhere a developer wants to make a ton of money building multiple homes on a single lot. As it is my neighbor on a corner lot could sell and under the revisions they could put up an apartment building on a single lot. Probably being 4 stories high and blocking out the sun. The same build could encroach so close to property line.

What in effect occurs with this is that I bought a specifically zoned house in a specifically zoned neighborhood decades ago. Of course I pay property tax but the city in effect has reneged on the zoning we bought and agreed to. They have changed the regulations around what that zoning could now be. It could be anything. There could be a pot shop put up nextdoor. (sigh)

Anyway just responding to some replies, back to hockey.

Reactions: Biltmore

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Just for fun.
There’s reading between the lines, and then there’s the leap that this guy took. ;). Come deadline there could be any number of contenders who need a goalie, whether it is due to injury or general poor play of their current tenders. Nothing that Helle said indicated the Oilers are the front runners.

Reactions: soothsayer

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The funniest thing in that article is Hellbuck multiple times saying he's looking to play on a contender and at the same time saying multiple times he thinks the Jets are a contender. Nobody anywhere see's the Jets being a SC contender.

The guy is better in net than he is at public speaking. Nothing he said made sense.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
At first I only thought of trading for Helly if he would stay. A scout I talked to though, said even as a rental it could be huge (assuming Campbell were traded). That it would make Edmonton by far the cup favourites this year, but probably also do a lot for Skinner.

This person also told me that on a more realistic note, by the deadline Edmonton should make sure they have a 3rd goalie in their system that they can trust if needed. Our own Adin Hill trade.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta

Kane McDavid Brown
RNH Drai Schiefele
Holloway McLeod Hyman
Janmark Ryan Lavoie

Nurse Pesce
Ekholm Bouchard
Kulak Ceci
Desharnais

The Canes are chasing a cup no way they offload Pesce, though he is my dream add for the Oilers next off-season.

Just for fun.

I love Hellebuycks determination that he will win a cup. Bring him in at the deadline for whatever it costs if we need it

Reactions: RegDunlop

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Hellbucyk would be nice. But unrealistic. If only we had gone low risk, and cheap on the most volatile position in hockey like other GMs did, so this opportunity could be open to us. But unfortunately Holland thought Campbell was the guy we should hitch our wagon to for 5x5

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
a lot of people on this board were happy when we signed him
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad