Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Lavoie Vs. Pederson Vs. Sutter Vs. Gagner Vs. Caggiula

Which of these players makes the team?

• Lavoie

Votes: 56 39.4%
  • Pederson

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • Sutter

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Gagner

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • Caggiula

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Bourgault

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Petrov

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (specify in a post)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • None of them makes the team, we'll start with 11 forwards

Votes: 8 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Barring any trades or waiver claims, which of these players makes the team as our 12th forward?

Assuming that these guys are locks for the top 11:
McDavid
Draisaitl
RNH
McLeod
Kane
Hyman
Brown
Ryan
Janmark
Holloway
Foegele

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Today I learned that we can take 1 goal in 4 games to make a decision that a guy has a really good shot.
Usually you can see that from watching games and practices. The next ? is does he have a quick or deceptive release?

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Kostin has one of the best shots this club has seen in recent years, he can absolutely wire it along with the best in the league. His SH% being high should be a surprise to no-one. Go watch his goals they're absolutely snipes with more power on them than most of our guys can shoot it. Him and Foegele can both absolutely rip the puck.

My darkhorse to make the club in that RW spot is Bourgault.

Go look at Kostin's first goal for us against Minnesota, or the goals against L.A.

Here's one you might not have seen, here's his first goal for the Blues. There are a handful of players who can shoot the puck like this in the league. Lmao. Actual thing of beauty.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Kostin has one of the best shots this club has seen in recent years, he can absolutely wire it along with the best in the league. His SH% being high should be a surprise to no-one. Go watch his goals they're absolutely snipes with more power on them than most of our guys can shoot it. Him and Foegele can both absolutely rip the puck.

My darkhorse to make the club in that RW spot is Bourgault.

Go look at Kostin's first goal for us against Minnesota, or the goals against L.A.

Here's one you might not have seen, here's his first goal for the Blues. There are a handful of players who can shoot the puck like this in the league. Lmao. Actual thing of beauty.

Why is his career AHL SH% through 200+ games half of what his SH% was last season the Oilers then?

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Why is his career AHL SH% through 200+ games half of what his SH% was last season the Oilers then?
Maybe he'll drop a percentage or two, who knows -- but it's not surprising for a player to get better or pick his spots better as he gets older, or begin playing with better players. It would be interesting to look for other shooters whose SH% increased going from the AHL to NHL. Obvious explanation is him simply shooting less in the NHL, could have been playing a different brand of hockey there, different systems.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Maybe he'll drop a percentage or two, who knows -- but it's not surprising for a player to get better or pick his spots better as he gets older, or begin playing with better players. It would be interesting to look for other shooters whose SH% increased going from the AHL to NHL. Obvious explanation is him simply shooting less in the NHL, could have been playing a different brand of hockey there, different systems.
The people saying that his current contract is based off of an unsustainable heater.

He has a good shot, but the rest of his game will leave him in an area of the roster where he'll get very few opportunities to use it.

Reactions: capazzo

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Is it even debatable that Kostin had a good shot? I mean a guy like Yamamoto shot absolute muffins. When you can beat a NHL goalie clean without a screen, odds are that you have a good shot.
The problem is the argument seems to be he can sustain a 20% shooting percentage because he has a good shot.

Draisaitl-level shooters shoot 20%. There's a massive gap between Draisaitl's shot and a "good shot".

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
What do people think the forward lines will look like? Who do you think the 4C's will be?

duul

Jun 21, 2010
The problem is the argument seems to be he can sustain a 20% shooting percentage because he has a good shot.

Draisaitl-level shooters shoot 20%. There's a massive gap between Draisaitl's shot and a "good shot".
If you check the clip of him scoring in St. Louis, he has a better 'shot' than Draisaitl.

if you want to get into the nitty gritty and stuff like presence of mind to float into open areas, one timers, and general other factors that lead to scoring chances, then of course Draisaitl blows him out of the water.

Kostin has just as good of a clean shot as anyone in the league based off the goals he scored for us this year and in his NHL career. That's why it's so appealing I guess, seeing a guy who can wire the puck like that and score from absolutely everywhere. Makes some of us wonder if he was put with some players who can really play, would he have fumbled or made the most of it and went on a Maroon like or even more impressive run. Woodcroft chose to stick to playing our top guys with RNH, Kane, Hyman, and Yamamoto, all of whom were totally invisible at evens unfortunately. I don't necessarily blame him for not trying Kostin there, but I kind of do. Maybe there's something behind the scenes we're missing. We did see Woodcroft fail to make adjustments that crippled the club though, that's for sure.

Anyway, I think we've had just about enough Kostin discussion. Fact of the matter is he has way more potential to break out than McLeod, he's a more valuable playoff type player IN MY OPINION, and I'll leave it at that. I guess we'll see how they all play this coming year and re-evaluate if anyone cares enough in eight months.

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Petrov is sneakily underrated. I think hes an NHL player probably not this season though. Lavoie is pretty close to make or break time. Bourgeault needs more time in the A but I think hes an nhl player.

Petrov is sneakily underrated. I think hes an NHL player probably not this season though. Lavoie is pretty close to make or break time. Bourgeault needs more time in the A but I think hes an nhl player.
Pederson is first call up for injuries. Gagner makes the team out of camp as 4th line centre. Sutter is too slow unfortunately I think he gets cut. Might sign in the AHL.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Pederson is first call up for injuries. Gagner makes the team out of camp as 4th line centre. Sutter is too slow unfortunately I think he gets cut. Might sign in the AHL.
I don't think you'll see Gagner at center.

Outside of a little stretch with Detroit, he hasn't played center since 2017/18.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
What do people think the forward lines will look like? Who do you think the 4C's will be?

With currently signed players I'd make the lines like this

Kane - McDavid - Brown
Nugent-Hopkins - Draisaitl - Hyman
Foegele - McLeod - Janmark
Holloway - Pedersen - Ryan

If Sutter makes the team he replaces Pedersen at 4C. If Gagner makes the team he plays fourth line RW and Ryan slides over to centre. As soon as someone from the top 9 gets injured Holloway will get a shot there.

It could be interesting to see what happens if Lavoie has a great camp and forces his way onto the team.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Barring any trades or waiver claims, which of these players makes the team as our 12th forward?

Assuming that these guys are locks for the top 11:
McDavid
Draisaitl
RNH
McLeod
Kane
Hyman
Brown
Ryan
Janmark
Holloway
Foegele
Caligula.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Today I learned that we can take 1 goal in 4 games to make a decision that a guy has a really good shot.

Today I learned that the way Vegas played to win the cup is the only way to win a Cup. Even though Colorado won it a different way last time. And Tampa won it a different way the time before that. But Vegas, their way is the only way. And we aren't enough like Vegas thus will never win the Cup.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Today I learned that the way Vegas played to win the cup is the only way to win a Cup. Even though Colorado won it a different way last time. And Tampa won it a different way the time before that. But Vegas, their way is the only way. And we aren't enough like Vegas thus will never win the Cup.
Why do you keep saying this? It doesn't make sense. A poster listing some of the qualities of a championship franchise doesn't necessarily equate to that poster believing there is "only one way to win a Cup." Beyond winning 16 games in the playoffs...

Change your custom title under your profile picture:
every team wins the Cup a different way

Then everyone will know.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

You can win with a variety of roster builds, sure.

None of those constructions can be with a team that's both poor at defending and has mediocre or even just average goaltending combined.

If you guys want to thump your chest about the "Oilers way" (don't need to defend! don't need a goalie because Colorado even though we have nowhere near their blueline!) being so great ... where are the results?

They've had McDavid and Draisaitl for 8 years. In the last two years, McDavid and Draisaitl have elevated their play to at times unheard of almost 80s like scoring, scoring at levels we haven't seen since the days Lemieux, Jagr, Gretzky.

And yet, this franchise has 0 wins to show for that past round 2. Even in the last two years, where you can't really ask for McDavid or Draisaitl to do any more. Not a single win past win 8 in the playoffs.

The net results at the end of the day tell you the roster is not properly constructed.

We can pretend that's not the case or be honest and say we can't continue to go into the playoffs with rosters that are this easy for a higher end team to exploit on the back end and in net. It isn't working (if the goal is to win a Cup) and it likely never will.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad