Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Lavoie, Pederson, & Gleason clear waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I don't mind the idea of Mantha. Even for all his warts, he is the type (big body, decent on the cycle, smooth hands around the net, and a terrific shot) that can excel with McDrai. Kane-McDavid-Mantha could be fun to watch.

Still, I'd prefer someone more high-energy that likes to attack/drive the play and challenge defences, instead of taking what's given to them. Doesn't need to be a big name, and I'd love someone like Domi or Duclair. Though I'll hold my breath for a bit to see if Holloway can show some signs of consistency. I feel like he could excel in this role, but I'm not sure I'd wait beyond 10 to 15 games.

I'd love to see them get to a point where they could roll...

Drai/Holloway-McDavid-Kane
Hyman-RNH-Brown
Drai/Holloway-McLeod-Foegele
Erne-Janmark-Ryan

... where Drai and Holloway can easily swap, depending on if you want to load up the top line or spread the talent around.
Hell make this my true ideal, where you find a way to trade Foegele, and swap in Lavoie in his spot + the cap space to have a few usable PB bodies and/or an upgrade on the 4th line.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The so called fans who were waiting to spew their negativity are now running this place. I bet they are so happy they get to sift around saying their ridicule

But but he fought which didn't effect the game or score! That's good right??
I have been here since September 1997 and it has had always had been massive ups and downs

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I’m in my 40’s. You’re beyond an Oilers fan as you think they can do no wrong. Your guarantee is 100% wrong. I am not happy and I’m actually a very positive person. I, however, am objective and don’t act like a teenage girl seeing Taylor Swift for the first time. I can objectively say that Holland has shit the bed for 5 years. You must be so happy where the team is in year 9 of McDavid and 10 of Draisaitl.
I know they can do wrong but I don't think the season is over in 2 games. If Holland has shit the bed, why has the team gotten better the last 5 years? Since 2019-2020, you've seen the team shitting the bed or have you been sleeping walking? I'm happy the team is closer to winning a Stanley Cup than they ever have been since 2006.

Also, you are in your 40s but you talk like your in your teenage years.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Who was a better two player then?
McLeod? No
Foegele? Definitely no
Kostin? We know the answer to that
Ryan? Possibly
Bjugstad? Possibly

Janmark has consistently been one of their more reliable players. You rarely see him out of position or making mistakes.
Where do you get this idea that he's a detriment to the team and should be waived? It seems like a strong take IMO.
I personally think McLeod and Ryan to be a bit more better in terms of a two way game. He has made several key mistakes in the 2 games played especially on the failed attempts of getting the puck out on the PK leading to goals against. He's been out for 3 PPGA with not even 5 minutes of PK time. If he's here primarily for being good at the PK, its been rather bad so far.. Somehow landed between 30-40 % of the Expected Goals % 5 on 5 which made him the worst Oiler in G2. I hope he'll be better at least.

I'm still not as high on him as you or any other poster. Like I said in my previous post, I don't think he's the worst FWD on the Oilers compared to players like Erne for example, but I don't find him good either.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Gregor floated Saros as a possible trade option today. It's likely doable, but would have to include his salary retained at 50% (Saros has a $5M AAV), probably Skinner going the other way +++. The "+++" would likely be massive too, but I would be seriously considering it if what we have now doesn't pick up. If Saros played here like he does in Nashville we likely win the cup even with an imperfect defense.

Also would have to factor in that he would probably be nearly impossible to re-sign unless Campbell's deal was dispatched completely by the end of next season.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Gregor floated Saros as a possible trade option today. It's likely doable, but would have to include his salary retained at 50% (Saros has a $5M AAV), probably Skinner going the other way +++. The "+++" would likely be massive too, but I would be seriously considering it if what we have now doesn't pick up. If Saros played here like he does in Nashville we likely win the cup even with an imperfect defense.

Also would have to factor in that he would probably be nearly impossible to re-sign unless Campbell's deal was dispatched completely by the end of next season.

With Schwartz's ability to get all his big goalies to play small, getting a small goalie might be terrifying.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
With Schwartz's ability to get all his big goalies to play small, getting a small goalie might be terrifying.
1697583472565.png

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I dunno maybe that's the secret. They're apparently the same height. Maybe he only truly understands goaltending at the height of 5'11".

• Haha
Reactions: MessierII

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
If Tampa looks to move on from stamkos this year I’m curious if they would be interested in trading hedman.

Hedman for Nurse 1.375m retained and picks to sweeten where needed

Player for player caps being even. Tampa can retool around point kuch and sergechev and nurse at 7.875 isn’t the worst contract

Tell me if I got too high

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The so called fans who were waiting to spew their negativity are now running this place. I bet they are so happy they get to sift around saying their ridicule

But but he fought which didn't effect the game or score! That's good right??
Kostin being tough enough to go toe to toe with Gudbranson means that most players will respect his fighting and hitting abilities. Ever heard of sparking the team? Sometimes a hit or a fight fires the team up when things aren't going their way. Kostin has had all of 3 games to get used to his new team. I guess only players that you like are allowed mulligans on small sample sizes. Kostin is paid $2 million to hit, fight and score 10ish goals a year. Nurse is paid $9.25 million to be our #1 defenseman in all facets of the game. I know who has a better chance of living up to their contract, hint it's not "he's going to silence a lot of people this season" according to you.
If you're down to give the guy over 2 million dollars to just fight punks, that's overpay. I'd rather give Erne what he is making now to do that

How mature. kool aid and boners? How old are you?

I'm an Oilers fan and I don't give up after 2 games unlike people like you. I guarantee you're actually happy because now you can spew around your negativity
Holland signed Foegele for 3 years x $2.75 million off of a season where he had 10-10-20 in 53gp. and 2 seasons removed from 10-5-15 in 77gp.

Meanwhile Kostin who actually hits and fights while having 11-10-21 in 57gp. is overpaid? Sorry, if Foegele was an ace on the PK or something, maybe you can say that he's worth $0.75 million more than Kostin. The fact is that because he was overpaid and because Nurse was overpaid we had to let 2 quality depth players leave in Kostin and Bjugstad. The smart play would've been to move Foegele out, the problem is that his value wouldn't have offset your fave's negative value. So we moved the better player to shed cap so that we could take a flyer on Brown.

Reactions: Jamin

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

If they could retain or we could add someone like Foegele, Ceci or Kulak that would be ideal. If Campbell doesn't rebound we could buy him out at the end of this or the following season if need be. I'd love to have Trenin coming along with Saros in the trade.
I thought Kostin actually won that fight.

We already miss his sandpaper.
Agreed, I expected Gudbranson to get the upper hand but was pleasantly surprised to see Klim really hold his own and then some. No way that he would've let Joshua run around without an answer. Desharnais is big, strong and mean, but doesn't look like much of a puncher/fighter by my eye.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I know they can do wrong but I don't think the season is over in 2 games. If Holland has shit the bed, why has the team gotten better the last 5 years? Since 2019-2020, you've seen the team shitting the bed or have you been sleeping walking? I'm happy the team is closer to winning a Stanley Cup than they ever have been since 2006.

Also, you are in your 40s but you talk like your in your teenage years.
Why has the team gotten better under Holland? How about 2 players scoring at a rate not seen in 30 years? The core players on this team are Chiarelli’s.

It’s speak not talk.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Meier signing still happened in a flat cap league. But if you think it was worse during the year Nuge signed; then explain Couteriers contract: 8x7.75m signed just 2 months after Nuges. You can’t act like flat cap is the only reason Nuge signed so low. He would have got more on the market, flat cap considered.
Context matters. Couterier was a far better player at that point. He was also the flyers number 1 centre. Nuge is a complimentary centre. Nuge was also coming off scoring just 7 ES goals

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
If Tampa looks to move on from stamkos this year I’m curious if they would be interested in trading hedman.

Hedman for Nurse 1.375m retained and picks to sweeten where needed

Player for player caps being even. Tampa can retool around point kuch and sergechev and nurse at 7.875 isn’t the worst contract

Tell me if I got too high
are you asking if you are high? THere is a massive difference between Hedman and Nurse beside their contracts

Reactions: McDoused

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Context matters. Couterier was a far better player at that point. He was also the flyers number 1 centre. Nuge is a complimentary centre. Nuge was also coming off scoring just 7 ES goals

He had a better year prior to signing but with injury concerns that ended up being warranted. Overall they are very comparable players through out their careers with Nuge being better for most of it until Couterier hit their strides. Still 7.75M and 5.25M is a sizeable gap. Still supports the fact Nuge would have got more elsewhere.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I would give a lot for Saros to be honest.

Campbell + Broberg + 1st +

I wouldn’t. Saros is used to a strong D core, he’s never had a D like the Oilers in front of him. We wouldn’t know what we’re getting.

Campbell is the same shit. He played behind a good defensive team in Toronto and we got fooled. What we should be targeting is the next Ullmark; a goalie with just average to mediocre numbers but he’s playing behind a tire fire. Someone like this would actually be realistic to acquire too instead of someone like Saros who would cost an arm and a leg. Need to find depressed and undervalued assets to actually win a trade.

Last edited:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I wouldn’t. Saros is used to a strong D core, he’s never had a D like the Oilers in front of him. We wouldn’t know what we’re getting.

Campbell is the same shit. He played behind a good defensive team in Toronto and we got fooled. What we should be targeting is the next Ullmark; a goalie with just average to mediocre numbers but he’s playing behind a tire fire. Someone like this would actually be realistic to acquire too instead of someone like Saros who would cost an arm and a leg. Need to find depressed and undervalued assets to actually win a trade.
Our evaluation window based on Campbell's time in Toronto would be 2020-21 where they were 6 GA better than us and 2021-22 where they were 1 GA worse than us.

The simple phrase of Toronto and good defensively was so jarring I had to fact check that, so the only time they were top 10 in Goals Against was last year 2022-23, the next closest date where they were Top 10 in goals against was 2002-03 a whopping 20 year gap for the "good defensive team" the Toronto Maple Leafs :laugh::laugh:.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Why has the team gotten better under Holland? How about 2 players scoring at a rate not seen in 30 years? The core players on this team are Chiarelli’s.

It’s speak not talk.
Yet chiarelli managed to miss the playoffs with this core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad