Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Lavoie, Pederson, & Gleason clear waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Stauffer hinting more and more that Oilers are trying to add top 4 RD defensive D in Ceci’s spot

So I don't know what's going on with Cody Ceci.
Is he hurt? Having a slow start? Is He cooked?

I don't know, but he's been atrocious to start this season. This why I'm big on putting him on waivers. 3 reasons

1. He might be claimed, which would be a hole that has to be filled, but his cap hit is gone and the Oilers could more easily just straight acquire someone.

2. If he clears waivers unclaimed, he might be easier to move because whatever team that takes him on doesn't have to try and waive him.

3. If he is cooked, he can be sent down for a small cap saving and kinda adds depth.

I know it's early, but he's been brutal and I don't know that it turns around

Ok, without Spurgeon right now the Minny defense is struggling hard so, it might have been necessity over design him getting that icetime
You’re not wrong. Stauffer is hinting at oilers adding a top 4 RD defensive D. Ceci would be odd man out

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I don't get the Ceci hate. The guy has completely blown away my expectations since coming here. He makes relatively little money and has absolutely helped Nurse out on that pairing.

I can't imagine getting a significant upgrade on him at his cap hit.
He's just been promoted to a position above his paygrade. He'd be fine on the 2nd or 3rd pairing, but he's the only veteran defensive defenseman they have on the right side so he gets plugged onto the top matchups pairing and gets blamed when he inevitably drowns in the role.

If they can send out Ceci in a trade for an upgrade, 3.2 mill + some retention on an incoming player could result in a decent pickup, just depends on how many prospect/picks they want to give up in return.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Stauffer hinting more and more that Oilers are trying to add top 4 RD defensive D in Ceci’s spot

You’re not wrong. Stauffer is hinting at oilers adding a top 4 RD defensive D. Ceci would be odd man out
Good, we need such a player because Nurse needs a better fit. Hopefully said player can also make a breakout pass. That would help to cover 2 of Nurse's biggest weaknesses.
He almost mentioned looking at a bigger 4C. I don’t think Erne is for the whole season lol
Erne is on a 2 way deal with the AHL deal being $250K. That sounds to me like someone that has no guarantee's and he really shouldn't. The 4th line doesn't have enough size or bite. I wonder who we target? Dowd was mentioned before.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I wonder if we are targeting one of Washington's RD's along with Nic Dowd?

Nic Jensen is a $4.05 million AAV for this & 2 more seasons after this one
Trevor Van Riemsdyk is a $3 million AAV for this & 2 more seasons after this one
Dowd is a $1.3 million AAV for this season and next

OilynutEsquire

Sep 24, 2021
I wonder if we are targeting one of Washington's RD's along with Nic Dowd?

Nic Jensen is a $4.05 million AAV for this & 2 more seasons after this one
Trevor Van Riemsdyk is a $3 million AAV for this & 2 more seasons after this one
Dowd is a $1.3 million AAV for this season and next

Go big or go home. We know they wanted Karlsson, hopefully they target Carlson

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Go big or go home. We know they wanted Karlsson, hopefully they target Carlson
That's interesting because Washington is terrible this year it seems.

What would that look like?

To wsh: Ceci, Janmark, Broberg, Bourgault, 2024 1st and 2026 1st

To edm: Carlson (50% retained) and Dowd

Maybe?

Last edited:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I’d try for Nick Jensen from Washington. He’s a former Red Wing and Washington looks to be on the downfall

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Ceci is exactly the defenseman he's been his whole career. We signed him because we needed a competent veteran defenseman (and desperate for a right-shot) and like every other UFA had to pay a bit extra to get him. He was put on the top pair with Nurse his first year here because we didn't have anyone better and he had a career year. That's not his norm. Every other team he's been on he's been a reliable 4 at his best, and a 5-6 dman at his worst which he still is for us.

Healthy scratched in Pittsburgh

Healthy scratched by Ottawa
No absolutely not, Ceci was very close to the worst d-man in the entire league for a number of years he's progressed a lot from the player he once was, even if he peaked and is regressing now, I respect the fact he stuck it out and evolved his game over time.

I'd also say in his first season with us he played to the level of a #3D, but since then yes he's been one if not 2 notches lower then that.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
No but do you remember the wingers and Dmen Chiarelli left them with? Now look.

Yes I do. Most of them still play with the Oilers. Hyman, as Stauffer has said, was being pushed by Brad Holland. So was Ekholm. Do you remember the GF% what Chiarelli left Holland with? Hint- he’s made it worse every year as GM outside of last year. What does that tell you? He’s riding the McDavid Draisaitl wave and taking credit

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No absolutely not, Ceci was very close to the worst d-man in the entire league for a number of years he's progressed a lot from the player he once was, even if he peaked and is regressing now, I respect the fact he stuck it out and evolved his game over time.

I'd also say in his first season with us he played to the level of a #3D, but since then yes he's been one if not 2 notches lower then that.
There is some truth to this even though I think that you are exaggerating a bit to make a point.

Ceci for sure though is low hanging fruit for those fans that choose to overlook Nurses deficiencies and throw it all at Cecis feet.
Ceci is never going to elevate his D partner but that being said Nurse is his own liability most nights with his poor decision making. There is at least one or 2 examples almost every game.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
There is some truth to this even though I think that you are exaggerating a bit to make a point.

Ceci for sure though is low hanging fruit for those fans that choose to overlook Nurses deficiencies and throw it all at Cecis feet.
Ceci is never going to elevate his D partner but that being said Nurse is his own liability most nights with his poor decision making. There is at least one or 2 examples almost every game.
That's fair, Ceci might be "low hanging fruit" but he's a lesser player and more replaceable by a decent amount.

Reactions: McDoused

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That's fair, Ceci might be "low hanging fruit" but he's a lesser player and more replaceable by a decent amount.
I think that Ceci and Nurse are a very limited pairing. The only way Nurse can be an effective top pairing dman (he is a #2 at absolute best IMO) is with a dman who is an effective top 4 dman.
Ceci is a #5 (a part time #4) IMO and if this defence was constructed properly then thats where he would be placed.

Instead Ceci is being asked to be a top pairing dman and do that with a D partner in Nurse that has his own issues. This is a Holland issue...not a Ceci issue.

Nurse has the physical tools for sure but that isnt enough.
Nurse just isnt good enough to do what a quality dman like Ekholm can do because he just doesnt process the game at a high enough level.
He needs a partner that can help compensate for his deficiencies. Ceci isnt that player.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I think that Ceci and Nurse are a very limited pairing. The only way Nurse can be an effective top pairing dman (he is a #2 at absolute best IMO) is with a dman who is an effective top 4 dman.
Ceci is a #5 (a part time #4) IMO and if this defence was constructed properly then thats where he would be placed.

Instead Ceci is being asked to be a top pairing dman and do that with a D partner in Nurse that has his own issues. This is a Holland issue...not a Ceci issue.

Nurse has the physical tools for sure but that isnt enough.
Nurse just isnt good enough to do what a quality dman like Ekholm can do because he just doesnt process the game at a high enough level.
He needs a partner that can help compensate for his deficiencies. Ceci isnt that player.

I'm done being a Ceci apologist. He hasnt been asked to be a top pairing dman since we acquired Ekholm. Ekholm and Bouchard have been our top pairing since the TDL. Meanwhile the Nuse-Ceci has been asked to be a second pairing. Ceci has been drowning as a #4 dman and that's with Nurse. Ceci needs to be miles better. He has been a black hole offensively and consistently gets walked on defensively. Add in that he cant breakout, cant pass and our PK sucks. We are trying to win a cup. At least bring in a guy who can ride some momentum and string together some good games without looking out of place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad