Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Lavoie, Pederson, & Gleason clear waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Anthony Mantha is a healthy scratch for the caps.

He's soon to be a UFA and though he's $5.7M for this year, that could probably be retained with some creative moves.

Might be a great buy low candidate to improve the depth

I'm serious, the Oilers should really look into him.

Skilled, but lazy and disinterested.
Good news is that the Caps would probably retain half just to get rid of him.
We'd still have to send a $3M forward back, which basically means Foegele, and he just got promoted to the second line...

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
We'd still have to send a $3M forward back, which basically means Foegele, and he just got promoted to the second line...
I was thinking moving Foegele+ out the flipping neimo and a pick to Anaheim to have them eat a bit as well.

Yeah he's not flawless or he'd be playing, but he's big, skates really well and has skill. Improves the depth imo.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm simply not a fan of Janmark or his apparent 'being good at the PK.'
He was arguably their best two way bottom 6 forward last year, certainly one of their most reliable ones. I don't know what he did in these 2 games to change the narrative on him. If you were never a fan, fair enough, but I just disagree.

That Toews deal is phenomenal. Nurse and Holland both look like bozos.
Toews is arguably a top 10 Dman. Either he has an awful agent, is a real team player or Avs management is just THAT good. Either way, that contract really frustrates me as an Oilers fan.

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
I hear you. Those were the days.
I remember being in Northlands Coliseum in the early 90's when Brown was playing for the Oilers.
Well...he was sitting on the bench most of the time anyway.
So the crowd would randomly strike up the chant to try and get him some ice time...(to the John Lennon song Give Peace a Chance)
"All we are saying...is give Dave a chance"...lol

Brown was a beast…

“… like starting a lawnmower…”

Reactions: iCanada and guymez

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
He hasn’t a good season since that Covid outlier.
Except he had a higher point total last year with a Dman partner who was worse than before. Please defend your point harder bud

Oilers Now Escott asked Seravalli about maybe Oilers getting Mantha and he doesn’t think so.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Except he had a higher point total last year with a Dman partner who was worse than before. Please defend your point harder bud

That’s all you’ve got? I’ve said and it’s been echoed here multiple times already.

He consistently makes back breaking bone headed decisions that result in the puck being in the back of our net. He’s making mistakes that rookies make and he’s almost 10 years into his career.

I don’t give a shit that he can get a secondary assist riding on the coat tails of Mcdavid and draisaitl. I sure hope he can rack up the points, he plays 25 minutes a game, and he sure as hell doesn’t focus on the defensive side of the game.

Watch the guy play instead of stat watching. I’m not saying he’s a bad player. He’s a serviceable defenseman once you can get over the fact that he’s being paid like a top 10 D in the league. But you’re out of your rocker if you think he’s been improving since that Covid year.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
That’s all you’ve got? I’ve said and it’s been echoed here multiple times already.

He consistently makes back breaking bone headed decisions that result in the puck being in the back of our net. He’s making mistakes that rookies make and he’s almost 10 years into his career.

I don’t give a shit that he can get a secondary assist riding on the coat tails of Mcdavid and draisaitl. I sure hope he can rack up the points, he plays 25 minutes a game, and he sure as hell doesn’t focus on the defensive side of the game.

Watch the guy play instead of stat watching. I’m not saying he’s a bad player. He’s a serviceable defenseman once you can get over the fact that he’s being paid like a top 10 D in the league. But you’re out of your rocker if you think he’s been improving since that Covid year.
He also consistently comes out ahead while facing the hardest competition, with 3rd pairing partners.

This whole "watch the guy play" is a cop out when posters are looking for things to confirm what they already think.

He makes mistakes, he also makes alot of good plays that people dont notice cause they're so upset about his 1 or 2 mistakes a game and his contract.

Thoughts?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He also consistently comes out ahead while facing the hardest competition, with 3rd pairing partners.

This whole "watch the guy play" is a cop out when posters are looking for things to confirm what they already think.

He makes mistakes, he also makes alot of good plays that people dont notice cause they're so upset about his 1 or 2 mistakes a game and his contract.

Thoughts?

He's a no.2 D. A bit below Ekholm. Does he do some good things? Sure. But he also does stupid things more than a player who is a legit no.1 should.

He's also a poor big game performer, been crap in the playoffs for the most part aside from maybe one series against Winnipeg.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
He was arguably their best two way bottom 6 forward last year, certainly one of their most reliable ones. I don't know what he did in these 2 games to change the narrative on him. If you were never a fan, fair enough, but I just disagree.

Toews is arguably a top 10 Dman. Either he has an awful agent, is a real team player or Avs management is just THAT good. Either way, that contract really frustrates me as an Oilers fan.

I'd like to see the evidence of him being the best two way bottom 6 FWD for this team based from last season. I don't think he's the worst player out there on the Oilers, but I'm not a fan of him either.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Just seeing the Toews deal and I can't be the only one pissed off that Darnell Nurse is making $2m more than a Dman that is better than him.

All this talk of players wanting to play with McDavid and Draisaitl and wanting to take discounts. My ass.
What Toews did is a perfect example of a player wanting to take a discount to keep the team contending, either that or a GM far better at negotiating. Probably a bit of both.

I know that Toews and Nurse were in different bargaining positions but ....ugh to the extreme.

How is Janmark lumped in here with those guys? Did I miss something?

Literally no one on this team takes any kind of discount. Nurse, Hyman, Campbell, Kane, McLeod (this year), Brown (The 775k cap is nice but he’s not a 4m player), Foegele etc. About the only guy who could be argued is RNH. He probably could of got paid more elsewhere.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Exactly. :nod:

WTF was Kyte thinking?
He is down on the ice after getting pummeled and he has 6'5" and 225lbs of Dave Brown pinning him down and he decides to keep throwing punches?
Of course Brown just pummels him some more.
That was quite the era.
He had this same look on his face, a Gene Wilder-esque still shot pose, while eating punches to the face (and demolishing his opponent’s chin) as what I would expect from bad ass ancient vampires and anime characters.
Due to a personal experience, my top fighter squad if I were starting a fist battle team would require that same type of handsome pose and strength to be considered.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada

Thoughts?

By what defensive metric does he come out on top of? Im actually curious.

I think when you have a large group of people that recognize a player is struggling and isn’t maybe as good as he is being paid to be, there might be some validity in that argument. You can’t dismiss people and say “cop out” or “ur jsut seeing what u want to see!!”. Half this board is polarized when it comes to him, and if you go to the mains it becomes even worse. Lol there’s gotta be some kind of merit to the argument at that point. Or is everyone else just an idiot who has confirmation bias?

And I never said he doesn’t make good plays. But I won’t absolve him of errors, because 1. He’s paid HUGE dollars to play as close to a mistake free game as he can, and 2. Those mistakes he makes aren’t little. They’re egregious and back breaking.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He had this same look on his face, a Gene Wilder-esque still shot pose, while eating punches to the face (and demolishing his opponent’s chin) as what I would expect from bad ass ancient vampires and anime characters.
Due to a personal experience, my top fighter squad if I were starting a fist battle team would require that same type of handsome pose and strength to be considered.
Not sure that I understand all of this but it was one of the most interesting posts I have read in a while. :nod:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The good news is that as of right now we have the best chance to win the lottery for the first overall pick next year.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
so did Drailsaitl
It’s like the dude is stuck in the 1970s, but instead its last years plays offs. In his mind, all that is wrong with the club can be pointed to at the 2023 playoffs, with nothing good included.

Good grief

Memo to Keith that there were a number of issues in the Vegas series but they don’t define players’ worth to the current roster, the potential for different outcomes 1or their entire career notoriety. Even Wayne, Gordie, amongst others, missed the playoffs.

Not sure why some can’t understand the sum of the whole concept when looking at players, coaches and management. I guess it doesn’t fit the narrative.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Anthony Mantha is a healthy scratch for the caps.

He's soon to be a UFA and though he's $5.7M for this year, that could probably be retained with some creative moves.

Might be a great buy low candidate to improve the depth

I'm serious, the Oilers should really look into him.

The Oilers don't like skills like Shooting Ability. They want EFFORT, HARD WORK, CHARACTER, and other dumb things.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Literally no one on this team takes any kind of discount. Nurse, Hyman, Campbell, Kane, McLeod (this year), Brown (The 775k cap is nice but he’s not a 4m player), Foegele etc. About the only guy who could be argued is RNH. He probably could have got paid more elsewhere.
Nuge didn’t take a discount. No one was offering him 42M.

I'm still his supporter. But if you guys want to keep ripping him and want him to get run out of town 2 games into a brand new season, enjoy yourselves. It'll be fun seeing everyone regret it
Lol- you drink the Oilers kool aide hard and have boners for anything that comes from Oilers management

Alone in front of the net? I dunno how about literally 10 seconds into the f***ing game? Took 3 more chances to score though because the goalie made some saves.

View attachment 753532
Kassian and Gazzola told me goalies don’t make high danger saves

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
But isn't Kostin like a star?
He went toe to toe with Gudbranson after dishing out a solid hit. I'd much rather a guy like Foegele's impact on our team when we need a spark. He would've bitch smacked Dakota Joshua who was a royal pain in our ass in our first 2 games of the season. Unlike Desharnais who is just big, Kostin knows how to fight.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I like the Kliminator. Fights to hurt and hits to hurt... he definitely makes the most of his limited minutes.

I fully realize he was priced out of Edmonton and it wasn't to be here but I still miss that physical/attitudinal presence in the bottom 6 that no I don't think is that easily replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad