Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Lavoie, Pederson, & Gleason clear waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I wonder if we are targeting one of Washington's RD's along with Nic Dowd?

Nic Jensen is a $4.05 million AAV for this & 2 more seasons after this one
Trevor Van Riemsdyk is a $3 million AAV for this & 2 more seasons after this one
Dowd is a $1.3 million AAV for this season and next

I could swear I remember the Oilers being extremely interested in both Jensen and TVR when they were both free agents.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I'm done being a Ceci apologist. He hasnt been asked to be a top pairing dman since we acquired Ekholm. Ekholm and Bouchard have been our top pairing since the TDL. Meanwhile the Nuse-Ceci has been asked to be a second pairing. Ceci has been drowning as a #4 dman and that's with Nurse. Ceci needs to be miles better. He has been a black hole offensively and consistently gets walked on defensively. Add in that he cant breakout, cant pass and our PK sucks. We are trying to win a cup. At least bring in a guy who can ride some momentum and string together some good games without looking out of place.
Have they? Since they've acquired Ekholm, Nurse and Ceci are still averaging more time.

Including this season.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
That's interesting because Washington is terrible this year it seems.

What would that look like?

To wsh: Ceci, Janmark, Broberg, Bourgault, 2024 1st and 2026 1st

To edm: Carlson (50% retained) and Dowd

Maybe?
:oops: That’s a lot to give up. How many years left for Carlson on his current deal?

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Fair, were their wingers scoring 40 goals and 100 points? Yeah this team is better than chia's

Which winger was added that scored 40 goals and 100 points? So McDavid and Draisaitl have been scoring at their pace because of their wingers vs their wingers scoring more because of McDavid and Draisaitl? Is that the argument?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm done being a Ceci apologist. He hasnt been asked to be a top pairing dman since we acquired Ekholm. Ekholm and Bouchard have been our top pairing since the TDL. Meanwhile the Nuse-Ceci has been asked to be a second pairing. Ceci has been drowning as a #4 dman and that's with Nurse. Ceci needs to be miles better. He has been a black hole offensively and consistently gets walked on defensively. Add in that he cant breakout, cant pass and our PK sucks. We are trying to win a cup. At least bring in a guy who can ride some momentum and string together some good games without looking out of place.
Apparently Ceci and Nurse are sharing the top pairing minutes with Ekholm and Bouchard.
Do you have numbers to dispute that?

In any event...no culpability at all for Nurse a $9.25M dman (paid like a top pairing dman) instead its all on the $3.25M dman who (as I stated) is essentially (and is being paid like) a bottom pairing dman.
Interesting.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Apparently Ceci and Nurse are sharing the top pairing minutes with Ekholm and Bouchard.

In any event...no culpability at all for Nurse a $9.25M dman (paid like a top pairing dman) instead its all on the $3.25M dman who (as I stated) is essentially (and is being paid like) a bottom pairing dman.
Interesting.

I don’t think it’s really on either Nurse or Ceci. They both are what they are. Ceci isn’t good enough to be a top pair dman and Nurse isn’t good enough to carry a bottom pair guy on the top pair. They are both being asked to do more than they are capable of. The fact that Nurse is overpaid for what he brings? That’s on Holland signing him to a contract a year earlier than he needed to.

It ultimately all boils down to not having the right personnel in the top 4.

Reactions: guymez

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
What do you mean we need a starter and a almost ready back up in Bako and 2 defensemen and 2 4th liners or maybe three?
What do you mean were p--s--s and a little bit of agressiveness and were sunk.
What do you mean were relying on a guy on the top pair that isn't the right foil for the other guy all while there's likely a nothing rookie on the third pair. The right side D sucks?
What do you mean by game 15 our overpaid starter will be in the Ashram again?
What do you mean the rookie tender is struggling cause there is a book on him now and he has months ahead of him to work on his weaknesses?
What do you mean our 4th line is not effective at all?
Whaaaat do you mean we don't know whether we want to play pond hockey or 1/3/1?
Damn it were still not a two line hockey team!

I MEAN WHO FRIGGIN KNEW? THIS WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO KNOW I TELL YAH.

Last edited:

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Meanwhile back at the farm....

Billy Karlsson has been drinking from the fountain of youth, Chandler thinks he is superman,
Kaden korczak is better than Broberg, Desi and Gleason combined let alone Pachal taking a step.
Low and behold Adin Hill a deadline deal guy is the playing like a young Carey Price.
What a great GM they have, paid almost as much as the great Holland.
Talk about a motivated bunch with a plan. and the right personnel.

• Haha
Reactions: CycloneSweep

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Interesting.

My perspective on Nurse is that he basically runs this team as much as McDrai do. Those 3 are all linked. The org is in love with Nurse and he is besties with the best. We gave him a blank cheque and probably will give him one again if McDrai both stay. He plays like he runs things too, just does whatever he wants. So we just sit back and hope he matures his game one day. In the mean time, it would be wonderful if Ceci could just simplify his game and hang back and try to cover for his D partner that does random stuff all the time :)

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
:oops: That’s a lot to give up. How many years left for Carlson on his current deal?
2 more years after this one.

Which winger was added that scored 40 goals and 100 points? So McDavid and Draisaitl have been scoring at their pace because of their wingers vs their wingers scoring more because of McDavid and Draisaitl? Is that the argument?
Ok, you win it's clearly the same team or probably worse. It's why Drake Cagiulla is playing in the top-6 and wasn't one of the first cuts in Camp this year.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Jensen + Dowd are really fairly low hanging fruit because they would be coming from Washington (who are likely to suck this year so naturally they'd probably be more likely to move older players like this)... and Holland is familiar with Jensen so he likely has a pretty solid opinion of the player already.

I'm not saying these wouldn't be useful players because a pair of stable, defensively sound assets added to the roster is pretty much just what the roster needs... but playing Devil's Advocate... isn't there anything a little more high end that the Oilers could acquire that might move the needle a little more?

Answering my own question... probably not as the assets going out would have to be pretty large to get anything beyond a Dowd-Jensen duo of players coming back.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
...and a destination that is more attractive than EDM.
Yes very much. Thats why we paid Holland so much. Build through the draft and pay for all his connections for trades and because he can build that some free agents will come that normally wouldn't. Right. Don't you remember rebuilding the bottom six as a priority and drafting D men,
Drafting correctly was the big deal.
Broberg was his first draft.
If you get drafted ...if you get traded with no clause ....there is very little player choice unless your a star. Of course there are exceptions but for the most part u don't end up with PLD.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
SJ have Kevin Lebanc on waivers. I've liked the player, but he's too expensive just whole cloth.

I wonder if the Ducks claim him, so makes me wonder if the Caps waive Mantha

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

Interesting.

DFO wouldn't lie to me.

1697733792250.png

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
My perspective on Nurse is that he basically runs this team as much as McDrai do. Those 3 are all linked. The org is in love with Nurse and he is besties with the best. We gave him a blank cheque and probably will give him one again if McDrai both stay. He plays like he runs things too, just does whatever he wants. So we just sit back and hope he matures his game one day. In the mean time, it would be wonderful if Ceci could just simplify his game and hang back and try to cover for his D partner that does random stuff all the time :)
It sure seems as if at least some of this is true.
I dont see Nurse improving much at all though. He is going to be 29 this season.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Jensen + Dowd are really fairly low hanging fruit because they would be coming from Washington (who are likely to suck this year so naturally they'd probably be more likely to move older players like this)... and Holland is familiar with Jensen so he likely has a pretty solid opinion of the player already.

I'm not saying these wouldn't be useful players because a pair of stable, defensively sound assets added to the roster is pretty much just what the roster needs... but playing Devil's Advocate... isn't there anything a little more high end that the Oilers could acquire that might move the needle a little more?

Answering my own question... probably not as the assets going out would have to be pretty large to get anything beyond a Dowd-Jensen duo of players coming back.
I'd obviously be a big fan of a bigger impact defenseman, but adding two solid defensive players to the overall makeup up of the team alleviates the need to find that more expensive asset. The more well rounded the team, the less you need studs in the lineup.

Even if Nurse continues to have his struggles, having a more solid, reliable pairing below his means you're more able to trot out a lesser pairing and confidently know they won't get buried.

Jensen would be a really good add i think.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't suppose Adam Larsson would be willing to waive for Edmonton if Seattle fizzles out, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille