Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Heritage Classic Forecast: Chance for McFlurries

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I would like some kind of explanation for what happened to Talbot, who is again an actual NHL goalie. Great stats on the Rangers as a backup, fantastic first season here, then dives and we get rid of him.

That one year of Talbot was the first time since Roli I didn't get spinchter clench anytime there was a shot on net.

Smith generally was like that, you just had to watch out for his crazy bone head plays once in a while.

Now I wonder if it will be like that for Skinner as well. Pretty great season last year and really got us into the playoffs when Campbell was a sieve, but got exposed in the playoffs and now seems like a sieve.

I know part of the goaltending problem is the horrific zone rushes and the D corpse not knowing what to do but I think the team is also terrified of making a mistake because if they do, the goalies won't save it.

So it's a great negative feedback loop.

Knowing Holland he'll probably trade Nuge and Campbell for Bobrovsky or something
He had kids, twins nonetheless and like any new dad knows it can turn your life upside down quickly. He couldn’t concentrate on Hockey and it snowballed. Once the kids got a bit older he was able to settle his mind and get back to work. Same thing coincidently happened with Dubnyk.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
  • Friedman says Oilers are looking around for players, mostly goalies
  • Pickard is not a long-term solution, and he has no doubt the Oilers are hunting for a goalie
  • He said Oilers can’t wait anymore and good teams go out to make a big move when they need it. That’s where the Oilers are since it’s their biggest season in a long time
  • Friedman says the Oilers aren’t done. They are looking for things to do. He said they aren’t saying “Okay good Campbell is gone. We’re done.”
  • There may be a deal where the Oilers can do both (get a goalie and a player)
  • He believes goaltending has rocketed to the top of the Oilers list
  • Oilers may be looking at a team where they can get a goalie and a player
  • Edmonton is looking at every option and been calling teams. Holland said if you’re going to give up key pieces for a goalie, you’d better be sure he’s better than what you have. But there is also so much at stake that Oilers may just throw that out the window
  • Friedman’s concern with Binnington is St. Louis needs a goalie in return, so he wonders what they are thinking as a replacement
  • Friedman says Jake Allen makes more sense in terms of salary cap
  • They’ve spoken to both St. Louis and Montreal
  • Friedman says the guy the Oilers have to go for is Jusse Saros
Better late than never but how many months ago did Vegas Elim us? So slow to realize the blatantly obvious flaws

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
  • Pickard is not a long-term solution, and he has no doubt the Oilers are hunting for a goalie
  • He said Oilers can’t wait anymore and good teams go out to make a big move when they need it. That’s where the Oilers are since it’s their biggest season in a long time
  • Friedman says the Oilers aren’t done. They are looking for things to do. He said they aren’t saying “Okay good Campbell is gone. We’re done.”
  • Edmonton is looking at every option and been calling teams. Holland said if you’re going to give up key pieces for a goalie, you’d better be sure he’s better than what you have. But there is also so much at stake that Oilers may just throw that out the window
  • Friedman’s concern with Binnington is St. Louis needs a goalie in return, so he wonders what they are thinking as a replacement
Friedman said maybe the Oilers address a RD and goalie in the same trade. I just don't see a universe in which the Oilers get Saros right now. But just for fun, imagine they somehow brought in Saros and . . . Barrie. Maybe they move Ceci and obviously Campbell +++++. A pipe dream, but that would be wild.

Campbell + Ceci + Broberg + Rodrigue + 1st + 2nd <=> Saros + Barrie.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Friedman said maybe the Oilers address a RD and goalie in the same trade. I just don't see a universe in which the Oilers get Saros right now. But just for fun, imagine they somehow brought in Saros and . . . Barrie. Maybe they move Ceci and obviously Campbell +++++. A pipe dream, but that would be wild.
Saros and Barrie for Bouchard, Campbell, a first round pick, Broberg, and Holloway?

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Saros doesn’t seem realistic but man that would be a game changer.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Thanks for the synopsis.

Saros would be ticket. It’d be expensive and not sure how they would deal with Campbells salary.

Holland should also include himself in any goalie trade.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Thanks for the synopsis.

Saros would be ticket. It’d be expensive and not sure how they would deal with Campbells salary.

Holland should also include himself in any goalie trade.
I love the ending in that ahah and no problem.

I think our starting point is 1st, Bourgault and Broberg. But we also have to move Campbell

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I love the ending in that ahah and no problem.

I think our starting point is 1st, Bourgault and Broberg. But we also have to move Campbell

Lol thx.

Campbell would have to go. I think that alone is a 1st and 2nd given the salary and term.

Then the price of the trade itself.

Honestly if we’re getting Barrie back I’d move Bouchard. Barrie is better defensively and can QB the PP. Plus Bouchard might be the ticket that gets us Saros.

I don’t think Broberg or Bourgault moves the needle very much?

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Lol thx.

Campbell would have to go. I think that alone is a 1st and 2nd given the salary and term.

Honestly if we’re getting Barrie back I’d move Bouchard. Barrie is better defensively and can QB the PP. Plus Bouchard might be the ticket that gets us Saros.

I’d absolutely give up Bouchard in a trade for Saros and Barrie. But if you can do it without giving up Bouchard and then trade Bouchard to fill another hole, you’re laughing.

Ekholm knows Saros well, Barrie is an instant fit as we all know, a move like that could turn this season around and get us in the playoffs.

I wonder what our 2026 or 2027 pick would get us.. if teams think McDrai walks that pick could be 1st overall.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Lol thx.

I think Bourgault may. Nashville doesn’t have very many offensive prospects and Bourgault is a big one. Ppg in the AHL and they may even look at Lavoie

I am not giving Bourgault for Jake Allen

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
On top of that, it's always risky to get a goalie from a team with a great defensive system, especially to a defense like ours
They should try and nab another defenseman in the deal too then. Maybe two, and we'd have half the preds blueline and their goalie. Problem solved.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Well next time you have a generational player like 40-50+ years from now, make goaltending a bigger priority in team construction from day 1 and maybe you don't have to pay a heavy price like this.

Right now, what are we supposed to do? Holland's bet on Campbell has gone bust. We are going to have to probably bite the bullet and pay the piper now.

Woodcroft needs to go too, this is not a development league for junior coaches who are trying to figure out defensive system structure at a NHL level. Get someone in here who knows what they are doing defensively to give the goalies a break.
Right now? Figure out why this team makes its mistakes at the most inopportune points in the game. Cash on the opportunities they are creating.

Trading any and all of the team's trade capital for any one positional player is going to leave you with that player and the same organizational holes with next to no additional capital to address them.

Fire Holland. Fire Woodcroft. Fire the goalie coach. Whatever. But if they don't improve the execution on the ice, the team will continue to flounder.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Goalie Carousel time. Get multiple goalies and get ‘em cheap. Run em and hope one gets hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad