Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Heritage Classic Forecast: Chance for McFlurries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Friedman said maybe the Oilers address a RD and goalie in the same trade. I just don't see a universe in which the Oilers get Saros right now. But just for fun, imagine they somehow brought in Saros and . . . Barrie. Maybe they move Ceci and obviously Campbell +++++. A pipe dream, but that would be wild.

Campbell + Ceci + Broberg + Rodrigue + 1st + 2nd <=> Saros + Barrie.
Binnington and Parayko for ?

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Hey everyone! How's the meltdown been? Any actual juicy rumors that have legs, or are we talking about Taylor Hall's new house still?

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
You pay it, times ticking away but honestly, how do they ever convince Nash to take Campbell?

Sounds like a pipe dream.
It pretty much is a pipe dream. Nashcille's GM has said he is not available.

But, like the Million Dollar Man said, Everything's got a price.....

Reactions: Faelko

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
1) Browns bonus will eat most of that. Oilers are going to let him make it
2) We need to replace Foegele in the line up. And 3rd liners are getting between 2 to 2.5 mill right now
3) Campbells buyout make sense. Here are the figures for that

Cap Hit Calculations​

SEASONINITIAL BASE SALARYINITIAL CAP HITSIGNING BONUSBUYOUT COSTPOST-BUYOUT EARNINGSSAVINGSCAP HIT (
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
EDM)
2024-25$5,400,000$5,000,000$0$1,500,000$1,500,000$3,900,000$1,100,000
2025-26$4,200,000$5,000,000$0$1,500,000$1,500,000$2,700,000$2,300,000
2026-27$3,900,000$5,000,000$0$1,500,000$1,500,000$2,400,000$2,600,000
2027-28$0$0$0$1,500,000$1,500,000-$1,500,000$1,500,000
2028-29$0$0$0$1,500,000$1,500,000-$1,500,000$1,500,000
2029-30$0$0$0$1,500,000$1,500,000-$1,500,000$1,500,000
TOTAL$13,500,000$15,000,000$0$9,000,000$9,000,000$4,500,000$10,500,000
That 2.3 and 2.6 in a year where McDrai need to be re-signed is going to hurt

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Right now? Figure out why this team makes its mistakes at the most inopportune points in the game. Cash on the opportunities they are creating.

Trading any and all of the team's trade capital for any one positional player is going to leave you with that player and the same organizational holes with next to no additional capital to address them.

Fire Holland. Fire Woodcroft. Fire the goalie coach. Whatever. But if they don't improve the execution on the ice, the team will continue to flounder.

Part of the reason is quite often just personnel.

The 2006 Oilers didn't figure out anything magical. They got a goalie who could stop the damn puck and went from a team in danger of not even making the playoffs to the Cup Finals because of it and then only lost the Cup because that goalie upgrade got injured.

Holland made this mess, we probably have to pay now to get out of it. The next 3-4 1st round picks should be on the table to improve the roster in the McDavid era. If at the end of that they walk, then you can tank and collect draft picks to your heart's content for 5, 10, however many years you want.

Goaltending is an important position, think we are just going to have to swallow our pride and accept Holland's stupidity in doubling down on a goalie without a track record (same as Koskinen).

It's clear as day this team is literally traumatized by goaltenders that can't stop pucks going back to the playoffs. We are officially at the point where they don't even try to fight back when a bad goal is surrendered. That can't be allowed to continue or you're just going to break the team entirely.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Toronto is going to be goalie hunting too. They have an injury or two, but their D is pretty brutal too.

JUst watch them beat us to a goalie

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Toronto is going to be goalie hunting too. They have an injury or two, but their D is pretty brutal too.

JUst watch them beat us to a goalie

They could be in the market for a coach too, watch them go after Gallant as well, lol.

They basically are the Oilers East except with better depth upfront so their team doesn't fold as hard when Matthews doesn't perform or is hurt, whereas us, if McDavid isn't on or hurt, it's big trouble.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
If you're trading for a goalie AND upgrading the RHD, that has to be both Campbell + Ceci going out. Not seeing how that's doable in season. The time for that move was in the summer, as most around here were saying. Holland massively f***ed up by running it back both in goal and on D.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
  • Friedman says Oilers are looking around for players, mostly goalies
  • Pickard is not a long-term solution, and he has no doubt the Oilers are hunting for a goalie
  • He said Oilers can’t wait anymore and good teams go out to make a big move when they need it. That’s where the Oilers are since it’s their biggest season in a long time
  • Friedman says the Oilers aren’t done. They are looking for things to do. He said they aren’t saying “Okay good Campbell is gone. We’re done.”
  • There may be a deal where the Oilers can do both (get a goalie and a player)
  • He believes goaltending has rocketed to the top of the Oilers list
  • Oilers may be looking at a team where they can get a goalie and a player
  • Edmonton is looking at every option and been calling teams. Holland said if you’re going to give up key pieces for a goalie, you’d better be sure he’s better than what you have. But there is also so much at stake that Oilers may just throw that out the window
  • Friedman’s concern with Binnington is St. Louis needs a goalie in return, so he wonders what they are thinking as a replacement
  • Friedman says Jake Allen makes more sense in terms of salary cap
  • They’ve spoken to both St. Louis and Montreal
  • Friedman says the guy the Oilers have to go for is Jusse Saros

So, essentially, Holland took the summer off and now is f***ed and is trying to do in season which he should have done in the off-season (which is infinitely harder)? Even Servelli (Sp) said it would be a colossal mistake for Holland to rest on his laurels.

I also don’t trust him to make any useful trades. I want Brad Holland running the show. Kenny has shown he can’t manage a team in a cap
World

Many on here were clammering for him as well.
Um, no they weren’t

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I’d absolutely give up Bouchard in a trade for Saros and Barrie. But if you can do it without giving up Bouchard and then trade Bouchard to fill another hole, you’re laughing.

Ekholm knows Saros well, Barrie is an instant fit as we all know, a move like that could turn this season around and get us in the playoffs.

I wonder what our 2026 or 2027 pick would get us.. if teams think McDrai walks that pick could be 1st overall.
I would too.
Only because the window to win is so small and Nashville has some pieces that would be exactly what the Oilers need. Nashville also seems to be headed towards rebuilding so this has potential.
Apparently Nashivlle has a young goalie named Yarslav Askerov. He's 6' 4" tall and apparently has plenty of elite skill.
I dont think he is a player that the Oilers can target but Nashville has to make a decision about where their team is in terms of their rebuild.
So for them to bring in Campbell for this season and try to bring in Askerov next season is conceivable, They also have over $6M in cap space as well so they can take on some salary.
They might well be willing to eat some salary too.

So, for example, Bouchard and McLeod are 2 players that might fit Nashvilles plans moving forward and that along with Campbell frees up $11M in cap space. They could then take on Saros and Barrie with their combined cap hit of $9.5M. The Oilers will have and additional 1.5M of wiggle room as well.
It also helps Nashville get rid of 2 big contracts and allows them to add if they choose to remain somewhat competitive this season because their market might not have the patience for a full rebuild. They are also shedding over $9M in salary next season with all the pending UFA's they will have.
Some draft picks (and/or prospects) may have to be involved in this deal as well but the fact that its potentially for only 1 year of Barrie helps the Oilers IMO.

Dealing Bouchard is not easy. He has played less than 200 games in the NHL which isnt much and he has tons of offensive skill. That said he still has the same issue that concerned me when he was a rookie player. His sense of urgency just doesnt seem to be there and when he isnt playing with a stud like Ekholm it really shows. He could well improve in his next 200 games but he may not as well. This just could be who he is because it hasnt seemed to have improved much at all when he doesnt have a high quality dman protecting him. Who he is though is likely a close to elite (next teir down) offensive dman. He is up for a huge raise in 2025/26 as well and he may never be a solid top 4 dman with all the warts still in his game. Then again he may really improve over the next couple of seasons especially with Nashville as their organization seems to have the touch when it comes to bringing along Dmen.
Dealing him is a big risk but this team needs to win now and they are in serious jeopardy of missing the playoffs all together.

McLeod has great speed but he started off as a perimeter player and after 150 NHL games there is no indication he will be anything other than that. I have no issue dealing him and his $2.1M cap hit for this season and next.

In any event I dont usually post proposals of any kind but I really think that there is something here to work with for both teams.

Last edited:

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
If you're trading for a goalie AND upgrading the RHD, that has to be both Campbell + Ceci going out. Not seeing how that's doable in season. The time for that move was in the summer, as most around here were saying. Holland massively f***ed up by running it back both in goal and on D.
based on the team's final quarter of the season (17-2-1), I can see why he did. A full season of Ekholm, the belief that Bouchard was getting better, he had an unreal last quarter of the season, and a great playoffs as well. As for goaltending, they didn't have a lot of options, one thing i wanted them to do was to identify the best of the 2b goalies out there who would sign for 1 million or so, and have a good #3 for the organization, an upgrade on Pickard and an option to go to if both of our goalies struggled and/or got hurt. They did not do this, and I think it was a big mistake.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Schultz went on to win 2 Cups as a bottom pairing Dman, with some offensive upside. Edmonton slotted him too high in our DCore and he wasn't ready then, and never was ready to be a top pairing D. Edmonton's fans are crazy, they're passionate, they're fanatics, and for the most part, they're knowledgable as well.
I would also say that Bouchard is already a better offensive dman than Justin Schultzs ever was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad