Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Heritage Classic Forecast: Chance for McFlurries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Then Carter Hart farts a couple of bad goals in his first couple of game and people start jumping off bridges.

Well next time you have a generational player like 40-50+ years from now, make goaltending a bigger priority in team construction from day 1 and maybe you don't have to pay a heavy price like this.

Right now, what are we supposed to do? Holland's bet on Campbell has gone bust. We are going to have to probably bite the bullet and pay the piper now.

Woodcroft needs to go too, this is not a development league for junior coaches who are trying to figure out defensive system structure at a NHL level. Get someone in here who knows what they are doing defensively to give the goalies a break.

Reactions: Echodek

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I assume you mean Spencer Martin? Skinner is awful right now and Pickard won’t push him either.
Yeah I have no faith in Pickard. He's just an AHL goalie and Rodrigue is already better than him based on what I've watched. Skinner needs a guy who can compete and is good in net (Binnington). Yeah he's an asshole but we don't need a nice guy in net who cries when he sucks (Campbell). We need a competitor.

Reactions: Faelko

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
On a scale of "No" to "Nooooooooooooo" how bad is this?

Murphy 50% Mrazek Raddysh for Campbell and Bouchard

Oilers save about 2.2 mil in cap for the deadline. Chicago bails them out of the Campbell contract for the next 4 years and gives them a 20 goal scorer and great penalty killer for under a million. Oilers downgrade but still have Murphy at 2.2 million for 3 years for the swap with Bouchard on the 2RD.

Reactions: M Ace

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Well next time you have a generational player like 40-50+ years from now, make goaltending a bigger priority in team construction from day 1 and maybe you don't have to pay a heavy price like this.

Right now, what are we supposed to do? Holland's bet on Campbell has gone bust. We are going to have to probably bite the bullet and pay the piper now.

Woodcroft needs to go too, this is not a development league for junior coaches who are trying to figure out defensive system structure at a NHL level. Get someone in here who knows what they are doing defensively to give the goalies a break.
Not to excuse the many bad decisions the Oilers made but sometimes there is some luck in the timing. Case in point...Chicago. Their key forwards were drafted at the end of the build with Keith, Seabrook and Hammer all picked before Toews and Kane. Defensemen take longer to ripen than forwards. That let them hit their stride with their best players on cheap deals.

The Oilers needed to add both defensemen and goalies to go with Leon and McDavid. They tried to speed it up trading Hall for Larsson which was a panic based move and got then got burnt further by the Kelfbom injury.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Oilers save about 2.2 mil in cap for the deadline. Chicago bails them out of the Campbell contract for the next 4 years and gives them a 20 goal scorer and great penalty killer for under a million. Oilers downgrade but still have Murphy at 2.2 million for 3 years for the swap with Bouchard on the 2RD.
It would be hard to pass this deal up. Even if Mrazek tanks you have almost $9M in cap space to replace Bouchard and find a goalie next year. Murphy at 50% is an excellent value. He can play the role Ceci is now.

Reactions: Clownish

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not to excuse the many bad decisions the Oilers made but sometimes there is some luck in the timing. Case in point...Chicago. Their key forwards were drafted at the end of the build with Keith, Seabrook and Hammer all picked before Toews and Kane. Defensemen take longer to ripen than forwards. That let them hit their stride with their best players on cheap deals.

The Oilers needed to add both defensemen and goalies to go with Leon and McDavid. They tried to speed it up trading Hall for Larsson which was a panic based move and got then got burnt further by the Kelfbom injury.

They also had many fortunate breaks waiting for them, they not only won the McDavid lottery but could have grabbed a player like Barzal who would go 2/3 in some other draft classes but opted to pass.

Passed on Tkacuk, Sergachev, DeBrincat, passed on Zegras, etc. etc.

Now even if you get into the "yeah but that's too many forwards!", you could then turn around and make a trade or two for defensive or goaltending help instead they squandered these opportunities and wasted years waiting for players like Puljujarvi, Benson, Yamamoto etc. to turn into nothing.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

I would do this not going to lie.

Reactions: Clownish

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
They also many fortunate breaks waiting for them, they not only won the McDavid lottery but could have grabbed a player like Barzal who would go 2/3 in some other draft classes but opted to pass.

Passed on Tkacuk, Sergachev, DeBrincat, passed on Zegras, etc. etc.

Now even if you get into the "yeah but that's too many forwards!", you could then turn around and make a trade or two for defensive or goaltending help instead they squandered these opportunities.
No question. The McDavid win was immensely lucky. And the Reinhart trade was a killer though it seems pretty obvious from the reports we heard that they were going to outthink themselves on that pick.

Passing on Tkachuk/Sergachev was actually bad luck in a way. It would have been very hard to pass up on JP. I was shocked when he was available despite being fully on the Tkachuk bandwagon.

By the way in terms of drafting I suspect almost every team would have been better off over the years had they simply picked the next guy on Mackenzie's list.

Reactions: soothsayer

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
I'd rather go bigger and get someone who has more experience being a real no.1. Hart, Gibson, etc.
I don't think either of those have shown much. Didn't Mrazek at least have one good year with playoffs on Carolina? He hasn't had too many blowup games in his time with the Hawks and their defense is always giving him plenty of work.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't think either of those have shown much. Didn't Mrazek at least have one good year with playoffs on Carolina? He hasn't had too many blowup games in his time with the Hawks and their defense is always giving him plenty of work.

I don't think Mrazek can carry a team. Gibson or Carter Hart IMO can.

Reactions: soothsayer

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
I'd rather go bigger and get someone who has more experience being a real no.1. Hart, Gibson, etc.
This.

Because I’ll be honest. I know it was a move that was long overdue but I don’t see how sending Campbell down helps fix our goaltending. Skinner hasn’t played well either, and with speculation that the Oilers aren’t looking to make a trade because of the price they’d need to pay, sending Campbell down just looks like optics to me. Make it seem like Holland is doing something. Seems hollow to me.

Holland had his chance, numerous times, to fix our goaltending, and he’s failed.

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
Yeah I have no faith in Pickard. He's just an AHL goalie and Rodrigue is already better than him based on what I've watched. Skinner needs a guy who can compete and is good in net (Binnington). Yeah he's an asshole but we don't need a nice guy in net who cries when he sucks (Campbell). We need a competitor.
my guess is if Pickard struggles right away, he probably only gets 3 or 4 poor starts and then he'd get sent back down, and then they'd give Rodrigue a shot. Based on a fairly large sample size, and how Edmonton's defensive play this year, I don't have much confidence in Pickard being the answer. I feel this move was a desperate, hail mary shot, last ditch effort at a wake up call for the entire team. Will it work? i have no idea, but based on how this season has gone so far, I'm not feeling very optimistic.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
my guess is if Pickard struggles right away, he probably only gets 3 or 4 poor starts and then he'd get sent back down, and then they'd give Rodrigue a shot. Based on a fairly large sample size, and how Edmonton's defensive play this year, I don't have much confidence in Pickard being the answer. I feel this move was a desperate, hail mary shot, last ditch effort at a wake up call for the entire team. Will it work? i have no idea, but based on how this season has gone so far, I'm not feeling very optimistic.

I honestly don't even see 2-3 starts for Pickard. Like maybe 1 tops and he better play his ass off in said game.

Campbell will likely be back at some point unless a trade is made.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I would like some kind of explanation for what happened to Talbot, who is again an actual NHL goalie. Great stats on the Rangers as a backup, fantastic first season here, then dives and we get rid of him.

That one year of Talbot was the first time since Roli I didn't get spinchter clench anytime there was a shot on net.

Smith generally was like that, you just had to watch out for his crazy bone head plays once in a while.

Now I wonder if it will be like that for Skinner as well. Pretty great season last year and really got us into the playoffs when Campbell was a sieve, but got exposed in the playoffs and now seems like a sieve.

I know part of the goaltending problem is the horrific zone rushes and the D corpse not knowing what to do but I think the team is also terrified of making a mistake because if they do, the goalies won't save it.

So it's a great negative feedback loop.

Knowing Holland he'll probably trade Nuge and Campbell for Bobrovsky or something

Reactions: Oilhawks

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I would have traded a 7th round pick (or a 6th to beat what Minnesota spent) to TB for Bogosian.

He's a vet dman... nothing too special but a big RHD with plenty of NHL experience and gets paid just above league minimum.

(Of course he's got a 21 team no-trade list so Oilers are probably on it as well.)

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
  • Friedman says Oilers are looking around for players, mostly goalies
  • Pickard is not a long-term solution, and he has no doubt the Oilers are hunting for a goalie
  • He said Oilers can’t wait anymore and good teams go out to make a big move when they need it. That’s where the Oilers are since it’s their biggest season in a long time
  • Friedman says the Oilers aren’t done. They are looking for things to do. He said they aren’t saying “Okay good Campbell is gone. We’re done.”
  • There may be a deal where the Oilers can do both (get a goalie and a player)
  • He believes goaltending has rocketed to the top of the Oilers list
  • Oilers may be looking at a team where they can get a goalie and a player
  • Edmonton is looking at every option and been calling teams. Holland said if you’re going to give up key pieces for a goalie, you’d better be sure he’s better than what you have. But there is also so much at stake that Oilers may just throw that out the window
  • Friedman’s concern with Binnington is St. Louis needs a goalie in return, so he wonders what they are thinking as a replacement
  • Friedman says Jake Allen makes more sense in terms of salary cap
  • They’ve spoken to both St. Louis and Montreal
  • Friedman says the guy the Oilers have to go for is Jusse Saros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes