Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Draft Day! Does Holland Improve the Team or Does He Nibble on His PB&J Sandwich?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
They were, I believe, the 2nd best team in the league in 2023 and like 18-2 after the Ekholm acquisition down the stretch. They're fine in the regular season.

They need to upgrade the roster for the playoffs, not the first half of the regular season. There's just no rush on that right now.
They were supposed to be fine last year too but a lot of the year it looked like they might miss the playoffs. Yes, obviously they made it in the end, but there are no guarantees and it would be heavily beneficial to win the division as opposed to facing a really tough team in the 1st round.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Not sure why we are laughing, Hollands 1st brilliant move in which people tossed rose petals at his feet was a travesty. We had a guy for two years in which he played well for about two months, then had to buy him out and face that cap issue, then were paying 750,000 every year of his Calgary deal, then watched as he waived his no trade deal so Calgary could expose him in the expansion draft and had to pay a 3rd round pick to them to boot.

Now one of the top teams in the leauge is showing interest in keeping him in the league as an actual nhl player.

Reactions: GrumpyKoala

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

If somehow they could afford him Tatar would be a great fit, he's surprisingly good 2 way player.

we play the cards we are dealt. We all know where we stand and bitching about it is useless. Some people act like we have lots of options when we dont. Losing Kostin is an example of how tight our situation is. WE are in a buck out buck in situation and that is one reason why we keep hearing Yamamoto or Foegele either being traded or bought out to free up money.

The solution needs to come from within.
Yup, we're aware of all that. Also, losing Kostin isn't the earth shattering move it's claimed to be.

Reactions: McAsuno

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Not sure why we are laughing, Hollands 1st brilliant move in which people tossed rose petals at his feet was a travesty. We had a guy for two years in which he played well for about two months, then had to buy him out and face that cap issue, then were paying 750,000 every year of his Calgary deal, then watched as he waived his no trade deal so Calgary could expose him in the expansion draft and had to pay a 3rd round pick to them to boot.

Now one of the top teams in the leauge is showing interest in keeping him in the league as an actual nhl player.
Look I'm all for dunking on Holland but the Bruins were well run they wouldn't given Vegas their cup winning coach.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It's annoying tbh.
Career points per game:
Colton .44 - returned a high 2nd
Sharangovich .52 - with a 3rd, returned Toffoli
Newhook .42 - returned a low 1st and a high 2nd
Yamamoto .48 - ???

I still see Yamamoto getting traded regardless anyways.
I agree. Frankly watching Newhook last year I am not so sure he was much of an upgrade on Yamamoto. He is a year and a half younger but still a 1st and a 2nd? Yamamoto has actually outperformed his draft spot so its not like he has been a 1st round major bust. His issue is that salary. teams know that he is possibly going to be bought out so they may just want to wait to see if they can get him much cheaper.

Reactions: McAsuno

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
They were, I believe, the 2nd best team in the league in 2023 and like 18-2 after the Ekholm acquisition down the stretch. They're fine in the regular season.

They need to upgrade the roster for the playoffs, not the first half of the regular season. There's just no rush on that right now.
I guess I just fundamentally have a different opinion. The deadline should be for tweaks around the edges of a roster. Not for filling glaring holes that are apparent in the off-season.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Which ones? Which picks?

Who's the big prospect we missed out on because we traded a pick?

Lucic - 3rd
Ennis - 4th
Anathasiou - two 2nds
Green - 4th
Kulikov - 4th
Brassard - 4th
Kulak - 2nd
Keith - 3rd
Bjugstad - 3rd
Eckholm - 1st and 4th
Kassian - trade down in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd

Eckholm was a good move then and going forward, the test is a whole lotta nothing.

As for question two just look at the drafts for those years and speculate away.

The amount of draft capital he has given away for total non contributors is pretty awful.

When you are down to like 3 picks in a draft over a few years your porpect pool gets weaker.

And we are not even mentioning the bad picks he did make compare to who we could have had. (Broberg, Bourgeault)

Look I'm all for dunking on Holland but the Bruins were well run they wouldn't given Vegas their cup winning coach.
They won the presidents trophy and were very good last year then choked in the playoffs after being up 3-1. Good team, good org.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think Holland is having a lot of trouble finding a taker for Yamamoto. If nothing is done by today, I think suffice to say, there's probably no takers unless the Oilers are including a pick.

Because really by now they should have called all the teams offering him and called again on the teams that have lots of cap room.
I think yamo gets traded tomorrow for a mid pick.

Reactions: McDoused and Faelko

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Lucic - 3rd
Ennis - 4th
Anathasiou - two 2nds
Green - 4th
Kulikov - 4th
Brassard - 4th
Kulak - 2nd
Keith - 3rd
Bjugstad - 3rd
Eckholm - 1st and 4th
Kassian - trade down in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd

Eckholm was a good move then and going forward, the test is a whole lotta nothing.

As for question two just look at the drafts for those years and speculate away.

The amount of draft capital he has given away for total non contributors is pretty awful.

When you are down to like 3 picks in a draft over a few years your porpect pool gets weaker.

And we are not even mentioning the bad picks he did make compare to who we could have had. (Broberg, Bourgeault)

They won the presidents trophy and were very good last year then choked in the playoffs after being up 3-1. Good team, good org.

So mostly irrelevant draft picks or picks traded for actual players that are major contributors to the team.

So the question still stands - which major prospect did we miss out on with picks traded? If we made all those picks round 2 or later statistically we might get maybe 1 NHL player out of them. Not even a good one, maybe just one player.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Good deal for both the Pens and Vegas, who need some cap breathing room and probably don't want to rely on LTIR as a plan...
They absolutely will be, Lehner is going to be there and Stone will be there all year, then "oh ma gawd, you guys, he's healthy for the playoffs" again.

I predict a Zadorov for Duclair trade.
Flames fans want to reunite Uberdoughs former line mate.
That's too much credit to the Flames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad