Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Draft Day! Does Holland Improve the Team or Does He Nibble on His PB&J Sandwich?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
am I the only one seeing that we need help on our RW? In our top six there is no one. Hyman is right handed but he plays LW
No, we definitely need a RW or two. Holland should be looking for some guys on the cheap. Not sure if Connor Brown is still an option on a low cap hit with bonuses, but that’s the obvious play if he’s open to it. Step one is shedding some cap in the likes of Yamo and Foegele. Hopefully that starts today. I just don’t see the move for a RHD happening until the deadline.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
Was Evander Kane available in summer 2021? Well he was, but at $7M/year....

Too bad we didn't go all out to get a lesser player and deal assets for them that summer. Would have worked out great.
Approach shouldn't be hopefully we luck into stuff heading into a must-win year.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

No, we definitely need a RW or two. Holland should be looking for some guys on the cheap. Not sure if Connor Brown is still an option on a low cap hit with bonuses, but that’s the obvious play if he’s open to it. Step one is shedding some cap in the likes of Yamo and Foegele. Hopefully that starts today. I just don’t see the move for a RHD happening until the deadline.
The waiver buyout window just ended for today. Why is Holland waiting this long? It's astounding to me

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Biggest need is a top pair RHD, and the market right now is completely devoid of that player. At the deadline the Oilers acquired the best defenseman that’s been traded in the last 14 months or so. Was Ekholm available last summer? No, he wasn’t.
Pesce is the one guy on the market other than Karlsson I think we should be looking at right now.

Edit: to clarify, I don't think we should be looking at Karlsson. Pesce is the only other 1RD I see potentially being available, and I think he should be our top target right now.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Approach shouldn't be hopefully we luck into stuff heading into a must-win year.
Waiting till the deadline on a year like this is actually a good thing though. A very good UFA class coming up so lots of potential players. The issue with going big now when you team is built the way ours is, you don't have any room or assets left for the deadline.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

It isn't luck. Other players become available in season, like they have two years in a row, that weren't there in the summer. It is a fact that every year there are a bunch of players that are available at the deadline that weren't in the summer.

We are a lock playoff team, this isn't 5 years ago where we desperately need to make moves just to hope to get to the dance. We have the luxury of seeing what works and what doesn't in our lineup prior to blowing our load on something that we might not need (possibly goalie if Campbell wakes up and Skinner improves or defense if Ceci finds 2022 form, etc.).

We need a #2 RW and a #4RD (maybe). These aren't insurmountable positions to fill at the deadline, and it may mean we get a better fit for a lower price.

Or we can just panic buy everything now and relive the Campbell situation where we realize it was a massive mistake and not needed two weeks into the season.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It isn't luck. Other players become available in season, like they have two years in a row, that weren't there in the summer. It is a fact that every year there are a bunch of players that are available at the deadline that weren't in the summer.

We are a lock playoff team, this isn't 5 years ago where we desperately need to make moves just to hope to get to the dance. We have the luxury of seeing what works and what doesn't in our lineup prior to blowing our load on something that we might not need (possibly goalie if Campbell wakes up and Skinner improves or defense if Ceci finds 2022 form, etc.).

We need a #2 RW and a #4RD (maybe). These aren't insurmountable positions to fill at the deadline, and it may mean we get a better fit for a lower price.

Or we can just panic buy everything now and relive the Campbell situation where we realize it was a massive mistake and not needed two weeks into the season.
There is also going to be guys who won't be qualified that we can get for cheap in a week, stuff like that.
Holland, as shown with the Ekholm trade, will take a big swing for a legit player if it exists. Sure we can probably trade out like 10 mill in cap for a big player but that hurts team depth too.
Our biggest issue last year in the playoffs was coaching and a young goalie was burnt out cause his partner had an awful year.
Its a very reasonable bet that Campbell should be substantially better than last year (im talking like over 0.900).
Trading out a bunch of cap to add a defender or winger at the detriment to our depth could be good buts its imho just as risky if not more than waiting till the deadline.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Possible Kostin replacements?

Lemieux
Domi
Hathaway
Sucks if kostin is gone. For how few minutes he got he produced well. And he deserved better.

Woodcroft was thoroughly out coached in the Vegas series and things like barely playing kostin, playing yammo too much to not pulling skinner etc didn’t help. he also needs to be better as a coach moving forward.

Reactions: Duke74 and scott57

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Pesce is the one guy on the market other than Karlsson I think we should be looking at right now.
He’d be a one year rental. Like I said, Ekholm was not available last summer. Sometimes it’s worth the wait.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Its also safe to say its a fact that every summer there are a bunch of players available that won't be available at the deadline.

As for being a lock to be a playoff team. Probably. Although I think there is something to be said for not being in a position every season where you're forced to make big move(s) at the deadline to guarantee a playoff spot but actually already comfortable being in a spot.

Lets not forget that the Oilers were 8th in points % when we picked up Ekholm. It took an 18-2-1 record the final quarter of the year for the Oilers to end up in as comfortable a position as they did.

The year before that our season was all but over until Holland signed Kane and fired Tippett in February.

Would be nice for once to not be in a position where we require an incredible late season run to solidify our spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad