Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Draft Day! Does Holland Improve the Team or Does He Nibble on His PB&J Sandwich?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It’s only round 1 tonite.

So, who would you move from the current roster/org that would return a first round pick this year, and how would that improve in the immediate?
Round 1 is not likely the place for the type of trades the Oilers would be making. Trades on day one of the draft tend to involve 1st rounders. It is extremely unlikely that the Oilers will try to move up into the first round. So Your point is well taken.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Its also safe to say its a fact that every summer there are a bunch of players available that won't be available at the deadline.

As for being a lock to be a playoff team. Probably. Although I think there is something to be said for not being in a position every season where you're forced to make big move(s) at the deadline to guarantee a playoff spot but actually already comfortable being in a spot.

Lets not forget that the Oilers were 8th in points % when we picked up Ekholm. It took an 18-2-1 record the final quarter of the year for the Oilers to end up in as comfortable a position as they did.

The year before that our season was all but over until Holland signed Kane and fired Tippett in February.

Would be nice for once to not be in a position where we require an incredible late season run to solidify our spot.

I think we went 18-2 primarily because we got Ekholm to balance us out and make Boucahrd a player. I'd be less confident with this path if we still had that major hole. I don't see the risk of failure as high now as at the same time last season.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Round 1 is not likely the place for the type of trades the Oilers would be making. Trades on day one of the draft tend to involve 1st rounders. It is extremely unlikely that the Oilers will try to move up into the first round. So Your point is well taken.
Exactly. That’s why I can’t get frustrated and shut a radio show off because the host said the team would be quiet this evening. Like what else do people expect given the state and needs of the team.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'm not going to get too panicky about things just yet, but I will say, that if the moves are to buy out Yamamoto, tinker with the bottom six, lose Kostin for nothing, sign the RFA's and bring back Janmark... that's not good enough. Not remotely good enough. The last couple days have been pretty unspectacular for Oilers news.

Getting Brown would mitigate that somewhat, but it looks like that's iffy right now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think I'd rather have Kostin than Brown.

Holland mentioned it yesterday too but "cap bonuses" are not some free money pile like people make it out to be.

You don't want the cap to go up say 4 million next year and only see a 2.5 million increase because the rest goes to bonuses for Brown from the previous year.

OILFAN FOREVER

Feb 26, 2021
I hope the Bouchard signing gets announced soon. I'm hoping it's 2 years 8 M (4 M AAV). For cap purposes for the next few years I don't want a long term deal right away.

Reactions: McDoused

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Broberg and 2023 2nd for Owen Tippett and 2023 5th. Who says no? Tippett has a 1.5m cap hit then RFA ‘24.
dr-evil-how-about-no.gif

Reactions: soothsayer

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Sucks if kostin is gone. For how few minutes he got he produced well. And he deserved better.

Woodcroft was thoroughly out coached in the Vegas series and things like barely playing kostin, playing yammo too much to not pulling skinner etc didn’t help. he also needs to be better as a coach moving forward.
kostin was hurt,

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Does anyone else really not like the fact that we are ONCE AGAIN waiting and seeing if Broberg is going be magically turn into a top 4 NHL regular? It's feels like we're all waiting for a soaking wet box of fireworks to explode. We don't have time to wait around for him to develop. I don't think we're winning the cup with him playing in our top 4 in the playoffs even if he does "pop" in the regular season. This is year 9 of the McDrai era with no cup. Tik tok!

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Does anyone else really not like the fact that we are ONCE AGAIN waiting and seeing if Broberg is going be magically turn into a top 4 NHL regular? It's feels like we're all waiting for a soaking wet box of fireworks to explode. We don't have to wait around for him to develop. I don't think we're winning the cup with him playing in our top 4 in the playoffs even if he does "pop" in the regular season. This is year 9 of the McDrai era with no cup. Tik tok!
We aren't though? We are waiting to see if Broberg can be a 3rd pair fixture.
Right now we have a top 4 d, Ceci is the only real question mark there.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What's wrong with Tippett?

Yeah looking at it more, I think I would do that and run. Tippett could be a legit 30+ goal scoring RW here, whereas Broberg hasn't even shown he can be a top 6 regular.

Dunno if Philly would do it honestly.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
We aren't though? We are waiting to see if Broberg can be a 3rd pair fixture.
Right now we have a top 4 d, Ceci is the only real question mark there.
I am interested in Stauffer's tweet today, something along the lines of "IMO, time to see what Holloway and Broberg can do with more minutes)

Broberg is 4LD right now, where are these minutes going to come from?

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Stauffer says he wants Broberg on the right side with Nurse this season.

ARe you kidding me Playing a rookie LHD on the right side, forcing him to play there, is something the MacT era would've done.

Yes I know Broberg has played the right side a ton but in the NHL it may not work. If this is the plan, I am really scared

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I am interested in Stauffer's tweet today, something along the lines of "IMO, time to see what Holloway and Broberg can do with more minutes)

Probably full time on the bottom pair with Kulak.

Also fun fact, Stauffer isn't really in the know anymore, rumor has it he pissed off the org so they don't tell him shit anymore.

Stauffer says he wants Broberg on the right side with Nurse this season.

ARe you kidding me Playing a rookie LHD on the right side, forcing him to play there, is something the MacT era would've done.

Yes I know Broberg has played the right side a ton but in the NHL it may not work. If this is the plan, I am really scared
IF they are going to do that, do that with Ekholm, not Nurse. Nurse can't shelter a young d.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
It's an annual tradition around here.

Panic when Holland doesn't make major deals in the off season, then be happy when the issue that we need solved is figured out in season going into the playoffs with no major consequence to anything.
Yeah the whole idea that Holland is a lazy GM and doesn't do anything is pure BS (literally). Look at the sign and trade history for Holland...does it look like he does nothing? Simply lazy posting, and willful ignorance.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Watch them force Broberg to play RHD and have the poor kid fail

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah the whole idea that Holland is a lazy GM and doesn't do anything is pure BS (literally). Look at the sign and trade history for Holland...does it look like he does nothing? Simply lazy posting, and willful ignorance.
We have been linked to soo many players too. Holland definitely does the work and inquires and talks to like every team. Just because he doesn't pull off trades all the time doesn't make him lazy. He clearly puts in the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad