Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Draft Day! Does Holland Improve the Team or Does He Nibble on His PB&J Sandwich?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Did folks really think the Oilers would be busy at the draft? Holland never does much work at the draft even when he had cap space.

The reality is that Holland isn't a GM like Sakic, McCrimmon and Dubas or even Blake that is proactive. He's slow, plodding, patient to a fault so we likely won't see much happening this offseason outside of moving out a contract or two, re-signing guys and signing bargain bin players.

Where he does most of his work is in season, around the deadline, just about every year. That's when we'll see a more significant move most likely and tbh, it's the smart play. This team is good enough to comfortably get in the playoffs as is, it's all about improving the roster for the playoffs so he has PLENTY of time to accomplish that. It's boring in the meantime but it's the likely reality.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Did folks really think the Oilers would be busy at the draft? Holland never does much work at the draft even when he had cap space.

The reality is that Holland isn't a GM like Sakic, McCrimmon and Dubas or even Blake that is proactive. He's slow, plodding, patient to a fault so we likely won't see much happening this offseason outside of moving out a contract or two, re-signing guys and signing bargain bin players.

Where he does most of his work is in season, around the deadline, just about every year. That's when we'll see a more significant move most likely and tbh, it's the smart play. This team is good enough to comfortably get in the playoffs as is, it's all about improving the roster for the playoffs so he has PLENTY of time to accomplish that. It's boring in the meantime but it's the likely reality.
Last years Draft and Deadline wasn't exactly boring

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

He wants to see if the team that made it last year with some minor tweaks can be just as good this year and then uses the deadline to patch holes that unfortunately don't fill internally.
Thats what most playoff teams end up doing. Tampa was like that too. Unforunately they usually had to do lots of cap out trades.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Realistically, when's the last time that any oilers media members been right? Especially in regards with last year.
Last year, the only actual person at that time that was talking about Ekholm was Seravelli. I heard no Oiler media member even brought the idea of Ekholm out for a while until Seravelli said something. We were told going into last year's deadline by a lot of the oilers media that we weren't gonna do anything.

I'll continue to stay optimistic about this summer. Even if we make no moves today, there's still tomorrow AND Saturday (Free Agency Day to look forward to). I personally still see minor tweaks for now and then the major moves to be made by next season's trade deadline. No issue with it as this team shown that they can play well enough up to that point and last season's W/L record after acquiring Ekholm shows it.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Ken "Better late than never" Holland

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
In the last 2 years..Hyman, kane, kulak, Ekhom, kostin, Janmark, Bugstad, Campbell, Ceci, Barrie. Foegle

What the hell are you even talking about?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Stauffer says he wants Broberg on the right side with Nurse this season.

ARe you kidding me Playing a rookie LHD on the right side, forcing him to play there, is something the MacT era would've done.

Yes I know Broberg has played the right side a ton but in the NHL it may not work. If this is the plan, I am really scared

I've thought about whether Broberg could be a partner for Nurse as well. Mainly because one of the problems I see, is that there just isnt out there much on the RD market. Theres Pesce, Karlsson and then what? Karlsson is too complicated/expensive. Who knows if Pesce even wants to play here. Just seems like theres such a gap in talent for RD. You have the Makar/Fox's of the world and theres not alot inbetween.

I dont know if Broberg can play with that Nurse. But thats part of the problem as well. Between the coaching staff and the organization, I dont think a lot of our young guys really got a great opportunity or consistent ice time. Holloway, Broberg in particular. We have no idea what we have in either guy. The Nurse-Ceci pairing pretty much struggled all year and they were pretty much inseparable all year. Nothing much even got tried with our d-core especially in the first half.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

I don’t agree that going into the season with a gaping hole for top pair RHD and massive question marks in net is the smart play.

It’s almost assuredly the play Holland will go with. But that doesn’t make it smart.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I've thought about whether Broberg could be a partner for Nurse as well. Mainly because one of the problems I see, is that there just isnt out there much on the RD market. Theres Pesce, Karlsson and then what? Karlsson is too complicated/expensive. Who knows if Pesce even wants to play here. Just seems like theres such a gap in talent for RD. You have the Makar/Fox's of the world and theres not alot inbetween.

I dont know if Broberg can play with that Nurse. But thats part of the problem as well. Between the coaching staff and the organization, I dont think a lot of our young guys really got a great opportunity or consistent ice time. Holloway, Broberg in particular. We have no idea what we have in either guy. The Nurse-Ceci pairing pretty much struggled all year and they were pretty much inseparable all year. Nothing much even got tried with our d-core especially in the first half.

I'm personally not a fan of it. Broberg going from 3rd pairing heavily sheltered minutes to having top four duties with Nurse who himself needs a partner on his D to stabilize the pairing which I don't see Broberg doing so YET (assuming he isn't traded). I just can't see that as being a good move. Getting outplayed by Desharnais and Kulak last year, and then jumping to top four with Nurse this upcoming season = too much risk.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Holland is having a lot of trouble finding a taker for Yamamoto. If nothing is done by today, I think suffice to say, there's probably no takers unless the Oilers are including a pick.

Because really by now they should have called all the teams offering him and called again on the teams that have lots of cap room.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

We are against the cap, lacking draft picks and only a few open spots on the roster. Unless we can shed 5 or 6 mill? There is nothing we can do.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think Holland is having a lot of trouble finding a taker for Yamamoto.
Could be, who knows. None of this makes much sense. I suspect teams might be focused on the draft at this point, things can still "shake loose" into this evening and tomorrow.

We are against the cap, lacking draft picks and only a few open spots on the roster. Unless we can shed 5 or 6 mill? There is nothing we can do.
Just quit I guess is always an option.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I think Holland is having a lot of trouble finding a taker for Yamamoto. If nothing is done by today, I think suffice to say, there's probably no takers unless the Oilers are including a pick.

It's annoying tbh.
Career points per game:
Colton .44 - returned a high 2nd
Sharangovich .52 - with a 3rd, returned Toffoli
Newhook .42 - returned a low 1st and a high 2nd
Yamamoto .48 - ???

I still see Yamamoto getting traded regardless anyways.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

The waiver buyout window just ended for today. Why is Holland waiting this long? It's astounding to me

He doesn't have to use it.

He can open a second buyout window by electing arbitration for either of McLeod or Kostin. Waiting until late in the FA market improves the potential of moving Yamamoto.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don’t agree that going into the season with a gaping hole for top pair RHD and massive question marks in net is the smart play.

It’s almost assuredly the play Holland will go with. But that doesn’t make it smart.
They were, I believe, the 2nd best team in the league in 2023 and like 18-2 after the Ekholm acquisition down the stretch. They're fine in the regular season.

They need to upgrade the roster for the playoffs, not the first half of the regular season. There's just no rush on that right now.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Could be, who knows. None of this makes much sense. I suspect teams might be focused on the draft at this point, things can still "shake loose" into this evening and tomorrow.

Just quit I guess is always an option.
we play the cards we are dealt. We all know where we stand and bitching about it is useless. Some people act like we have lots of options when we dont. Losing Kostin is an example of how tight our situation is. WE are in a buck out buck in situation and that is one reason why we keep hearing Yamamoto or Foegele either being traded or bought out to free up money.

The solution needs to come from within.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
We have no cap and we have to open cap for raises for guys on the team already.

We have no draft picks

We have a pretty crap pool of prospects overall.

Nothing of note will happen until as suggested by others the trade deadline next year when he might trade all our picks for help.
I think we can expect this.

Plus it's not like our team is in trouble. Standing pat likely still leaves us as a contender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad