Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | All Star Break Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I haven't noticed many people talking about possibly trading Evander Kane and while he does both play a playoff style game and also tend to elevate his game in the playoffs, there are warning signs that he is a player in decline, his average shot seems less dangerous, he's less involved in the play and seems to be doing less to drive offense, and I've noticed many poor defensive plays this season.

After the obvious one of Campbell (hard to move), to me Kane and Kulak are the 2 next most expendable pieces for cutting salary to bring someone better in. I think for reasons of positional weakness Ceci has to be an obvious potential cap candidate, but I've been happy with his play relative to cap-hit he's just in over his head in a top pairing role.

Also while we should never overlook an opportunity to improve, Foegele's 5 on 5 Pts per 60 is really good, I wouldn't put knocking him out of his current role high on my priority list.

I think my current priority list is:

1) Top pairing D
2) Back-up goalie who we believe in enough to run with if Skinner drops the ball.
3) Another bottom 6 center
4) A little more scoring preferably a speedster good at zone entries (Drai tends to play well with this player type) or a sniper who can score from mid-range.
There's reasons why Kane people aren't talking about trading Kane. Kulak for an upgrade sure, but Nurse needs a better pairing so Ceci should be the one upgraded. Broberg is also still killing it in the AHL, and may be ready to replace Kulak.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Ceci vs Walker on the PK this year.

Ceci
Avg TOI for PK: 2:45

TOI CF% Rel GF/60 GA/60
2:45 -9.2 1.5 6.8

Walker

Avg TOI for PK: 2:06

TOI CF% Rel GF/60 GA/60
2:06 6.3 1.1 4.0

If there's any concerns we are losing Ceci's PK ability. Walker is used by Torts as a PKer and does well in the role.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Yeh I like the fit. Walker's history or lackthereof and some warts (size) should lend himself to be acquirable for a reasonable cost. And we know his Cap hit is more than reasonable.

I get that he has no term though and that will be brought up as a negative. But really, the best deals to be had at every TDL are rentals for rental prices that you then Extend after the fact. Vegas did exactly that with Barabonov, acquired as a rental, extended to be a core member. Ekholm would have been cheaper if that was an option with him. The only caveat is that it's hard to rely on extensions if you're the Oilers... we aren't like Vegas or Tampa or NYR where if you want a player, you'll get that player. So that's a risk that needs to be considered. That said, he's 29 and he's only had 1 good year... maybe its possible in that situation to pay up to keep him.
Walker's history about about on the "same" level as Kulak (I know Kulak has played more games.)

Kulak turned pro earlier as a junior player, so got a bit of head start in the NHL, however he had to grind for a number of years before become a regular.

Walker played 4 full years in college (signed as a UFA) and basically became an NHL regular about 2 years into his pro career, but was ground up by some bad Kings teams and got pushed out by kids in the organization.

I'm willing to bet on Walker establishing himself full this year, as opposed to just "looking" good.

Look at Desharnais, finally broke into the NHL last year at 26, looked like a big physical tweener, now he's looking like a solid NHL player.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Ceci vs Walker on the PK this year.

Ceci
Avg TOI for PK: 2:45

TOI CF% Rel GF/60 GA/60
2:45 -9.2 1.5 6.8

Walker

Avg TOI for PK: 2:06

TOI CF% Rel GF/60 GA/60
2:06 6.3 1.1 4.0

If there's any concerns we are losing Ceci's PK ability. Walker is used by Torts as a PKer and does well in the role.
What about concerns around playing Walker on the top pairing when he is on 3rd pairing in Philly?
Desharnais may be a better comparable to Walker.

The guy has cracked 20min TOI mark only once in 2024. (16games)

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I disagree that Ceci is an established top pairing guy in any capacity. He's just put in that role in Edmonton because there's no one better.
Feel free to disagree. That's how the Oilers have deployed him essentially since his signing. Historically, his time on ice deployment is:

Ottawa: 440 games, 21:04 toi average
Toronto: 56 games, 20:32 toi average
Edmonton: 203 games, 20:27 toi average
Only Pittsburg 53 games did was his toi average below 20 minutes at 18:31.

His career zone starts tilt heavily to defensive zone: 64.3% over 3 years in Edmonton. 60.5% over 6 years in Ottawa. We see him have consistently high PK toi which is a critical quality time of ice situational play.

Strangely, I've consistently for over two years have argued, and still argue in all of my posts including one you have replied to, that I firmly believe the Oilers top priority is a top 4RD... which of course would mean replacing Ceci. Doesn't change the fact that Ceci on a $3.2 million AAV has been deployed as a top pairing guy. You're arguing against yourself.

Reactions: LTIR

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Walker's history about about on the "same" level as Kulak (I know Kulak has played more games.

Kulak turned pro earlier as a junior player, so got a bit of head start in the NHL, however he had to grind for a number of years before become a regular.

Walker played 4 full years in college (signed as a UFA) and basically became an NHL regular about 2 years into his pro career, but was ground up by some bad Kings teams and got pushed out by kids in the organization.

I'm willing to bet on Walker establishing himself full this year, as opposed to just "looking" good.

Look at Desharnais, finally broke into the NHL last year at 26, looked like a big physical tweener, now he's looking like a solid NHL player.
Great perspective. Sometimes players given opportunity, finally show that something has clicked in their game. By all accounts something has clicked in Walker's. He gets it now. I don't think this just a fluke year. He is how he plays and how the analytics rates him. Last year with Vinny I was high on him, and knew with experience he would get better. Always thought it was odd that he had detractors around here. He had all the prototypical tools you'd expect out of a shutdown D... and now he's showing he can provide even more than that with his puck movement taking a nice uptick this year.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Agreed, probably more value to the team than in a deal (unless someone wants him real bad)

Or, he could just be swapped for a much better UFA like Tarasenko due to trade deadline cap flexibility. A major, major upgrade for a cup run instead of just letting Foegele expire here.

We probably cant afford to sign either of them due to Brown, but at Foegeles age Ottawa might see fit to add him to their core.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
What about concerns around playing Walker on the top pairing when he is on 3rd pairing in Philly?
Desharnais may be a better comparable to Walker.

The guy has cracked 20min TOI mark only once in 2024. (16games)
huh?

Walker has played 21 Games with TOI over 20 Mins this year.

Ceci has played 25 Games with TOI over 20 Mins this year.

Also Walker's ice time recently has been cut down because of the acquisition of Drysdale. He would be closer to Ceci's numbers if Drysdale wasn't being tested. Like I mentioned in my previous Flyers-Avs game scout. This RD log jam makes him an acquirable piece that the Flyers should and will explore.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Or, he could just be swapped for a much better UFA like Tarasenko due to trade deadline cap flexibility. A major, major upgrade for a cup run instead of just letting Foegele expire here.

We probably cant afford to sign either of them due to Brown, but at Foegeles age Ottawa might see fit to add him to their core.
Interesting idea.
Would you trade Desharnais for Walker (a supposed much better RD) or stick to the guy you know.
Foegele has cooled off so I can't really question the "much better" fit for Oilers.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

*The JO motion*

No, you don't do that, you add a player TO Foegele and the Oilers, you move him if a team is willing to massively overpay for him.

As for next year, you don't have Campbell and probably one of Ceci or Kulak, so there's things that can be done.

Interesting idea.
Would you trade Desharnais for Walker (a supposed much better RD) or stick to the guy you know.
Foegele has cooled off so I can't really question the "much better" fit for Oilers.
Holy f*** NO.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Interesting idea.
Yeh no. But I don't think anyone is asking that question either, nor should they.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
*The JO motion*

No, you don't do that, you add a player TO Foegele and the Oilers, you move him if a team is willing to massively overpay for him.

As for next year, you don't have Campbell and probably one of Ceci or Kulak, so there's

Okay so in your hypothetical world you cant afford to add Tarasenko and you just run into the playoffs with a shittier top 6. You lose your best chance at a cup, and then next year you buy out Campbell and lose Foegele anyway, because you still have to sign your entire bottom 6 and vincent desharnais.

So your team is worse today, worse tomorrow, and never wins anything.

Thanks for coming out.

P.S. jfresh player cards are a dumpster fire, Walker would drown and be eaten alive if he tried to take on Ceci"s minutes here alongside Nurse.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm still not seeing the hype behind Sean Walker. Definitely not worth the cost of clearing the salary to add him. Vanilla D that's having an outlier year in terms of results. And he's still not really standing out when it comes to zone exits, which I would prioritize in Edmonton.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
This is how most of the pea brains down in Southern AB think. I had a Flames fan say this to me in person too lol

"I’d prefer to make all our trades to western conference teams. Let’s stack the teams that could potentially play the oilers as best we can."

Reactions: Gordian Knot

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
I don't even watch anymore I used to like it when they played for real Wales against Campbell those were interesting games now it's just gimmicks only 8 year-olds would like somebody mentioned a few years ago to have the conferences play for home ice advantage through the playoffs I think it would be a great Idea. change the president trophy to whoever wins it gets to move up the draft 10 spots it would create more competition for teams not dogging it near the end off the season
I dont understand why we dont get some badass NA vs Europe/World tourney or something, with some cool incentives.

I like your ideas, too. Definitely need to have something on the line, but they way we currently pick teams is so stupid.

Imagine a f***ing top line matchup of:

Matthews - McDavid - MacKinnon

vs.

Kucherov - Draisaitl - Pastrnak

I am tuning in for this 100%. I feel like the NHL marketing and logistics teams are just so dumb.

Reactions: MessierII and ujju2

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Goaltending has been a hot topic and you noted how well Skinner’s played the last little while. Do you feel like you need another goaltender to support him?

As we sit here today with the way that the two guys that are playing here — both Picks and Skins — and with the way that Jack (Campbell) is playing in Bakersfield, playing very well as of late, we’re feeling good. We’re just monitoring the way that the next month (goes) — just like with any other player on the team.

Just some info from Jackson above regarding if we are going to be targeting that 1B to Skinner.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'm still not seeing the hype behind Sean Walker. Definitely not worth the cost of clearing the salary to add him. Vanilla D that's having an outlier year in terms of results. And he's still not really standing out when it comes to zone exits, which I would prioritize in Edmonton.

He can be added at 1.3M. How much do you think it’ll cost us to move Ceci’s 3.25M? I think we get a small asset in return, hopefully a 3rd or at worst future considerations.

If zone exits is what you are worried about, I can assure you he’s a better outlet passer than Ceci, and it’s not even close really. He’s also great in support of a transition rush out of our zone and into the neutral zone. He loves joining the rush, and does it well.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He can be added at 1.3M. How much do you think it’ll cost us to move Ceci’s 3.25M? I think we get a small asset in return, hopefully a 3rd or at worst future considerations.

If zone exits is what you are worried about, I can assure you he’s a better outlet passer than Ceci, and it’s not even close really. He’s also great in support of a transition rush out of our zone and into the neutral zone. He loves joining the rush, and does it well.
It's not the cap that's the issue with Ceci's contract, it's the extra year left on it. I don't think Ceci's much of a puck mover, but the important thing to note is that he's already here, playing 20 minutes a night against some of our heavier opponents.

Would I like a better defenseman than Ceci as Nurse's partner? Absolutely. But that can't be a modest improvement. Because the cost of moving Ceci's contract is going to make any upgrade expensive.

Walker's resume doesn't show him as a guy who reliably plays those kinds of minutes.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

Walker got pushed out of LA because he wasn't good enough for a team with playoff and cup aspirations.

I don't see why he would make a difference here.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Walker is probably another Bear. Been there done that. Keep Ceci and our assets for a better player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad