Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | All Star Break Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

stewy04

Jun 19, 2016
Just got Hayes at 50% and leafs 2nd for our first on the blues board! Got him for term too! God being a gm is so easy.... why can't Holland just do stuff like that!
Also 8 more days till a game...

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I haven't noticed many people talking about possibly trading Evander Kane and while he does both play a playoff style game and also tend to elevate his game in the playoffs, there are warning signs that he is a player in decline, his average shot seems less dangerous, he's less involved in the play and seems to be doing less to drive offense, and I've noticed many poor defensive plays this season.

After the obvious one of Campbell (hard to move), to me Kane and Kulak are the 2 next most expendable pieces for cutting salary to bring someone better in. I think for reasons of positional weakness Ceci has to be an obvious potential cap candidate, but I've been happy with his play relative to cap-hit he's just in over his head in a top pairing role.

Also while we should never overlook an opportunity to improve, Foegele's 5 on 5 Pts per 60 is really good, I wouldn't put knocking him out of his current role high on my priority list.

I think my current priority list is:

1) Top pairing D
2) Back-up goalie who we believe in enough to run with if Skinner drops the ball.
3) Another bottom 6 center
4) A little more scoring preferably a speedster good at zone entries (Drai tends to play well with this player type) or a sniper who can score from mid-range.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Agreed on our needs. Chemistry be damned, this locker room is a mature one and has survived potential chemistry disruptions of Kane, Yamo, Barrie, Perry soon etc etc. There’s always room for improvement. And our competition like the Avs, Knights, Nucks or whoever are going to make suitable upgrades to their roster. We can’t fall behind in the arms race if we expect to beat them all.

Interesting list there but I really don’t remember us being linked to like half those guys. Seems a very speculative list but I can see their reasoning.

I do agree, these are places where upgrades can help, but how are we going to find players that A) fit under our cap, B) are willing to take our players in return obviously less desirable due to play, cap hits, and contracts and C) without selling the farm and draft to do so.

Seems a tall order.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I haven't noticed many people talking about possibly trading Evander Kane and while he does both play a playoff style game and also tend to elevate his game in the playoffs, there are warning signs that he is a player in decline, his average shot seems less dangerous, he's less involved in the play and seems to be doing less to drive offense, and I've noticed many poor defensive plays this season.

After the obvious one of Campbell (hard to move), to me Kane and Kulak are the 2 next most expendable pieces for cutting salary to bring someone better in. I think for reasons of positional weakness Ceci has to be an obvious potential cap candidate, but I've been happy with his play relative to cap-hit he's just in over his head in a top pairing role.

Also while we should never overlook an opportunity to improve, Foegele's 5 on 5 Pts per 60 is really good, I wouldn't put knocking him out of his current role high on my priority list.

1) Top pairing D
2) Back-up goalie who we believe in enough to run with if Skinner drops the ball.
4) A little more scoring preferably a speedster good at zone entries (Drai tends to play well with this player type) or a sniper who can score from mid-range.
Only way I would trade Kane is trade him and then trade for him with retention

or for someone like Cozens

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Jeff Jackson interview on the Athletic: Jeff Jackson Q&A: How the Oilers saved their season, trade deadline plans and more

Regarding trade deadline:
"We’ve pinpointed some things, and then we’re going to follow up.

There’s still time before the deadline. The issue right now is there’s lots of teams that are still in the playoff hunt. Nobody’s really folding up the tent to start selling assets at this point. We have to monitor that. When they’re ready to make a deal, if the pieces fit, then we’re ready to do it.

We’re also cognizant of the fact that messing with chemistry on a team sometimes is a dangerous thing. But if you get the right pieces, and you do it the right way — as long as you’re getting better, and you’re not messing with culture — we feel confident that we can make a couple moves that would make us bette
r."

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

1) Top pairing D

Because he has a full NMC, and it’s hard to imagine he’d want to waive it

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Giroux is one of my favorite players. I would love him here. He brings leadership qualities, hates to lose and can play center when Drai gets pushed up to the top line. My only issue is that he has a year next year that Ottawa would have to retain on. I can't imagine it would be cheap to get him at 3.25M (50% retained). I dont even know how we fit that in unless we unload Campbell.
We would have to add a RD in a separate deal and trade Ceci++++ for Giroux at 50%

But yeh ideally we get rid of Campbell contract.

Reactions: McDoused

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Jeff Jackson has a lot of intel on players from his time as an agent at Wasserman.

Might be a factor on players we might acquire at the deadline.

In the Athletic article, he mentions that he knew Knoblauch would be a good fit as he had clients that played for him and raved about his communication abilities.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We all know that this run won't last forever but if they only lose 2-3 games come the trade deadline I don't see the Oilers making any significant moves. Why risk ruining the chemistry they've built over the last 30 games for a chance at a slight upgrade?
Unless there's a significant injury I would be OK with no moves and just calling up guys for the playoffs(including Campbell)

This isn't really wise IMO.

Regular season success only matters so much, case in point last year's team was red hot down the stretch and really it was evident as quickly as about game 1 of the playoffs that the playoffs are a completely different ball game and there isn't much correlation for regular season style of play carrying over.

Same thing with the Canadian division year, down the stretch they were hot and I think they even beat Winnipeg twice down the stretch by a combined score of a 9-2 and then the 1st round against them ... it was clear 10 minutes into that series that it was going to be a completely different style of hockey. They were not giving us anything easy.

"Regular season chemistry" should be way, way, way down the list of priorities. It can mean dick all 10 minutes into the playoffs.

Reactions: ujju2 and McDoused

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
no more goalie talk? do y'all see Skinner holding the fort for 28 games against Vancouver, Vegas, Colorado and Florida?
We need another capable goalie. Skinner is showing that he is capable of being our #1 which makes it easier as we don't have to chase a clear cut #1 but instead can focus on a 1B which should come a lot cheaper than a 1A.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

1) Top pairing D
I'm pretty sure that Kane is dinged up. Hopefully the break will allow him to get back to being healthy and a PITA to play against. If not talk to him about be LTIR'd until the playoffs or until he's fully healthy whichever comes first.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I doubt that they'd deal those guys in their division, but yes either would be an awesome add.
Maybe do a Kent Nilsson 3 way type trade where he went from Calgary to Minny and then Minny moved him to us, in the process, acquiring an elite talent to round out the Anderson/Messier line, while f***ing Calgary over, getting a player from them that they would NEVER have traded to us.:D

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Maybe do a Kent Nilsson 3 way type trade where he went from Calgary to Minny and then Minny moved him to us, in the process, acquiring an elite talent to round out the Anderson/Messier line, while f***ing Calgary over, getting a player from them that they would NEVER have traded to us.:D
I didn't know the specifics of that, that is funny!

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I doubt that they'd deal those guys in their division, but yes either would be an awesome add.
I like the NMC on Danault contract. He chooses where he wants to go. Of course, it might not be the Oilers but our streak might convince him otherwise

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I didn't know the specifics of that, that is funny!
Actually, when looking back and researching, not a 3 way trade in essence, as he went to Minny first and as they sunk out of the playoff picture, they moved him to the Oilers for a 2nd rounder, which they used to pick goon Link Gaetz. But as I remember, the Flames fans were exploding, finding out that Sather had f***ed them over once more by getting one of their stars through the back door.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Jeff Jackson interview on the Athletic: Jeff Jackson Q&A: How the Oilers saved their season, trade deadline plans and more

Regarding trade deadline:
"We’ve pinpointed some things, and then we’re going to follow up.

There’s still time before the deadline. The issue right now is there’s lots of teams that are still in the playoff hunt. Nobody’s really folding up the tent to start selling assets at this point. We have to monitor that. When they’re ready to make a deal, if the pieces fit, then we’re ready to do it.

We’re also cognizant of the fact that messing with chemistry on a team sometimes is a dangerous thing. But if you get the right pieces, and you do it the right way — as long as you’re getting better, and you’re not messing with culture — we feel confident that we can make a couple moves that would make us bette
r."
Interesting that Pro Scouting Meetings are pretty much happening now. Identifying what we need and what's out there. Looking for "incremental improvements". Sounds also like chemistry is being considered, but improvements will be made as long as Culture is not affected.

I also liked what I'm hearing regarding the revamped analytics department. Sounds like they got a good system going there now.

Last edited:

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Okay my friend you need to start a thread of (stories behind Oiler trades )

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Pickup Lindholm on double retention. Calgary would be paying half his salary while we’d be paying only 25% :nod:

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
no more goalie talk? do y'all see Skinner holding the fort for 28 games against Vancouver, Vegas, Colorado and Florida?
We will see how we look when tougher competition comes along. If his numbers go up a tad, we are still in a great spot with what he is doing now.

Find a way to turn Campbell++++++ into Danault, this team would be crazy deep.
Danault would be a dream. I liked him so much even when I knew he was leaving MTL and getting paid much more than he was making. You could see he would be valuable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany